Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I have decided to call it off  (Read 20795 times)

TIBIKE200

I have decided to call it off
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »

The fear is too big. Since the booking of the surgery I had sleepness nights with alot of anxieity. It's not worth the risks in my height. My life was good till now and it will be afterwards. Dont want to risk my life in order to fulfil a dream which might be false. A dream which was created by the internet which had nothing to do with real life.
  I have lived life to it's fullest with my 5'7 (171cm) till now, and there is no reason I wouldnt be able to continue to do so.

As I told you before I have spoken with Israeli docs. There is a reason why this procedure is forbidden in Israel to people of my height. Again, the risks are too big. When I calculate risk/gain ratio, it's simply not worth it.
I learned some stuff during this time

CCMidwest

Re: I have decided to call it off
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:08:03 PM »

Speaking from experience, 5'7 is not very short at all.

Good luck man! (now block the forum on your devices!)

I'm glad you recognize how much part the internet had in all of this, lots of other guys here need to realize that too.

Now go drink, smoke, f*ck, and be merry!
5'7.5

Ozymandias

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

The fear is too big. Since the booking of the surgery I had sleepness nights with alot of anxieity. It's not worth the risks in my height. My life was good till now and it will be afterwards. Dont want to risk my life in order to fulfil a dream which might be false. A dream which was created by the internet which had nothing to do with real life.
  I have lived life to it's fullest with my 5'7 (171cm) till now, and there is no reason I wouldnt be able to continue to do so.

As I told you before I have spoken with Israeli docs. There is a reason why this procedure is forbidden in Israel to people of my height. Again, the risks are too big. When I calculate risk/gain ratio, it's simply not worth it.

From a fellow 5'7 guy, greatest respect for your decision if you have weighted the pros and cons (and nothing makes me think you haven't). I'm a bit curious about what the Israeli docs told you. I mean, we all know that most doctors are against cosmetic LL, but you said "dont want to risk my life in order to fulfil a dream..." Did they tell you about any death related to this surgery?

Bruno Mars

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »

Congratulation! This is certainly the best option. Accept your height and be happy!

TIBIKE200

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:37:47 PM »

From a fellow 5'7 guy, greatest respect for your decision if you have weighted the pros and cons (and nothing makes me think you haven't). I'm a bit curious about what the Israeli docs told you. I mean, we all know that most doctors are against cosmetic LL, but you said "dont want to risk my life in order to fulfil a dream..." Did they tell you about any death related to this surgery?

By life I meant becoming crippled or not walking normally. I meant risking the life I have now

chineseguy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »

nice, I hope thos who are 170 cm and above realize they are not short

crimsontide

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »

Very few if any become crippled, but  recovery time to just walk nornally can be years. it's  just not worth it

Peaceout

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

I know this is very scary..I would probably freak out too.But you have the oppurtunity to do it and move on.If you cancel it now it will be somewhere in your mind for many years probably.(im not saying you cant live a life without thinking about your height,of course you can.But this is very hard to accomplish,atleast it is hard for me.)
Im not saying do it no matter what.
Im just trying to say think again and again before canceling.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:46 PM »

I know this is very scary..I would probably freak out too.But you have the oppurtunity to do it and move on.If you cancel it now it will be somewhere in your mind for many years probably.(im not saying you cant live a life without thinking about your height,of course you can.But this is very hard to accomplish,atleast it is hard for me.)
Im not saying do it no matter what.
Im just trying to say think again and again before canceling.

Catagni just answered me about the cancellation: "Ok, you made the right decision. You can be happy with life without a few more inssignificant cms"

trevor

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:35 PM »

I think you made a right decision given your height but I'm curious because I don't think it's just a coincidence that you called it off a day after some guy pricess started vaguely claiming that your doctor ruined his life. My hunch is that you talked to him on pm and he gave you some details that scared you off. Can you share what he told you.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »

I think you made a right decision given your height but I'm curious because I don't think it's just a coincidence that you called it off a day after some guy pricess started vaguely claiming that your doctor ruined his life. My hunch is that you talked to him on pm and he gave you some details that scared you off. Can you share what he told you.

He didnt pm me anything. I had my doubts the second I booked the surgery. I will admit that his posts didnt help. But I had alot of "WTF I am doing" moments. There is too much to lose in this (for me) than there is to gain.

Peaceout

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

He didnt pm me anything. I had my doubts the second I booked the surgery. I will admit that his posts didnt help. But I had alot of "WTF I am doing" moments. There is too much to lose in this (for me) than there is to gain.
But you were so active on this forum with a very positive attitude about this procedure.What happened exactly?What was the triger for cnceling?

TIBIKE200

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »

But you were so active on this forum with a very positive attitude about this procedure.What happened exactly?What was the triger for cnceling?

I had a positive attitude on the forum yes. But the guys I have spoken with privately on FB (I added some forum members via PM to my FB) know my doubts. I did not sell anything. I still do not believe that this procedure is as dangerous as we wanna think. But once you are almost doing it, you can really reflect. I had alot of doubts. I got to the conclusion that even if the risk is 1%, it's still 1% highier than what I can accept to risk.

Knik

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 06:46:43 PM »

Great choice

I totally understand your doubts and fears, and if you feel this may little beneficiaries face the risks you are right
Internet has created a acerbic cult of height
Internet give importance to things that do not have
Good luck
Looking for Pili

Chris

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »

I think 5"7' is a great height and that your are in the lower end of the green zone  :)
In fact, I wish I was as tall as you are already (my realistic goal is 169-170cm).
My first surgery is still 9-10 month away and to be honest, I've been crapping my pants since I decided to do LL.
Fear is men's inner daemon. So, just make really sure that it won't haunt you in the future because you were too afraid to do CLL while you could.

I won't wish you good luck for living your life at your current height as I know that you won't need any ;)
But I wish you inner peace with yourself and that you NEVER ever look back.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

chineseguy

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 02:16:29 AM »

yes chris, your right,  if i am 5 7, i wouldn't do it.   i will lengthen to 5 7 170cm then call it quit

maximize

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 04:37:54 AM »

Too bad, OP. I would have liked to hear your experience with Catagni. I never really considered him until I saw you going for him.

But if you were not so convinced that even a 1% chance could sway you away from it, it wasn't right for you.

You need to be prepared for at least a 5-10% significant complication risk IMO going into this.

If it's not so important to you to tolerate that, then it's not the right decision.

I think leg lengthening surgery is actually pretty low risk in the scheme of things if done with a good surgeon. It's more just difficult due to the time and energy it takes. For example, I think jaw surgery which I've had is much higher risk and much more difficult/dangerous a surgery.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »

Catagni called my mom this morning (We exchanged numbers after the consultation).

To sum it up, he said to her that my decision was the wisest decision I could have, and that he just waited for me to arrive to it by myself because in the end he would have told me that he refuse to operate on me.
  Only LL surgeon that is not a salesman (which explains why he is not so well known around here even though he is the guy that brought this LL thing to the west from Russia), a true doctor. I applaud this man.

A closing statemant before my definitive departure from this forum and height complex:

I am just going to quote what he told my mom on the phone. "Why the hell did he wanna put himself through that? He is completely normal and *alot of nice things about me*. This height complex is not because of height... It's something else. When one has negative feelings, it is easy to find something to blame for. Usually that thing is something physical. This height insecurity in men of his height (and even 165 and up) and up is just like anorexia in women. It's easy to blame height because it is the only physical charateristic that is measurable in numbers (unlike facial aesthetics or muscularity). Usually the pain comes from something else. The height gain won't solve anything because his height is not a problem. At the consultation I saw a man with high self esteem. If he would have been silent and super shy, I could understand that maybe there is a problem of self esteem and maybe this thing would help. But it was not the case for him."

So to all people of little below average to aeverage and tall, get a grip of yourselves.

This is me saying goodbye and good luck to all

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 07:14:14 AM »

Congratulations on reaching the decision to avoid this surgery, TIBIKE.

I think Dr Catagni's advice is good for certain cases, such as when the starting height is average or just under, but perhaps his advice doesn't really apply to those with a significantly shorter starting height. I remember trying to just be more confident, walk around faking self-esteem until it turned into real self-esteem, despite how much I thought about height. But I remember being "triggered" one night in a burger joint when a tourist family from somewhere in Europe started snickering at how little the man in front of them was. Turned around and saw that they were snickering at me. I felt so miserable for the longest time afterward that I knew there was no going back and it was do the surgery or bust.

In brief, if someone has a starting height well below average, I believe cosmetic lengthening has real benefit in terms of others treating that person better.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

TIBIKE200

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:59 AM »

Congratulations on reaching the decision to avoid this surgery, TIBIKE.

I think Dr Catagni's advice is good for certain cases, such as when the starting height is average or just under, but perhaps his advice doesn't really apply to those with a significantly shorter starting height. I remember trying to just be more confident, walk around faking self-esteem until it turned into real self-esteem, despite how much I thought about height. But I remember being "triggered" one night in a burger joint when a tourist family from somewhere in Europe started snickering at how little the man in front of them was. Turned around and saw that they were snickering at me. I felt so miserable for the longest time afterward that I knew there was no going back and it was do the surgery or bust.

In brief, if someone has a starting height well below average, I believe cosmetic lengthening has real benefit in terms of others treating you better.

Indeed it does. I said it in the end "near average, average and tall". He said I was one of the tallest patients he ever saw entering his office. Everything I have said on this forum regarding height was only from my perspective. I never said that people shorter than me should feel the same as me.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »

Indeed it does. I said it in the end "near average, average and tall". He said I was one of the tallest patients he ever saw entering his office. Everything I have said on this forum regarding height was only from my perspective. I never said that people shorter than me should feel the same as me.

Ah, missed that last line.

Your response makes me wish I had asked my surgeon what height the tallest cosmetic patient of his was. 
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

DoingItForMe

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:31:03 AM »

I'm proud of you. Do yourself a favor and never come back to these forums again. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. I made the same decision has you did 4 years ago, and my mistake was coming back to the forums again, which fueled my desire for LL more.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

crusader1980

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:52 AM »

good on you brother, you've made the right choice

Thatdude950

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 10:50:34 AM »

Hallelujah! Congratulations and good luck.

YellowSpike

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »

OP, good for you. If you can get on with your life and live and be happy without this surgery, you have my utmost respect. I think you are 5'7" right? That's sort of a borderline height, but not sure I would have thought to do LL if I were 5'7" to start with (I was 166). I tried to not want to do this, but I was at a height where it was a virtual necessity. Now at 5'8", I feel much better, but the problem with this surgery is that it f*cks with your mind in a lot of ways. Once you "go there" and start treating height as a "changeable" thing, you start wanting more. I still believe I'd be fully satisfied at 5'9" and still want a second surgery...but I'm trying to at least enjoy the next year or so at my current height.

Like DIFM said, get off the forums. If you hang around here (I need to leave this forum too), you'll never shake this off your mind, and will eventually end up wanting LL all over again.

Good luck to you.

applesandoranges

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »

TIBIKE, have you maintained any of your yoga gains? We should still look for other methods to increase height. Even if it's just 1-3cm.

EndGame

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 03:49:58 AM »

Catagni called my mom this morning (We exchanged numbers after the consultation).

To sum it up, he said to her that my decision was the wisest decision I could have, and that he just waited for me to arrive to it by myself because in the end he would have told me that he refuse to operate on me.
  Only LL surgeon that is not a salesman (which explains why he is not so well known around here even though he is the guy that brought this LL thing to the west from Russia), a true doctor. I applaud this man.

A closing statemant before my definitive departure from this forum and height complex:

I am just going to quote what he told my mom on the phone. "Why the hell did he wanna put himself through that? He is completely normal and *alot of nice things about me*. This height complex is not because of height... It's something else. When one has negative feelings, it is easy to find something to blame for. Usually that thing is something physical. This height insecurity in men of his height (and even 165 and up) and up is just like anorexia in women. It's easy to blame height because it is the only physical charateristic that is measurable in numbers (unlike facial aesthetics or muscularity). Usually the pain comes from something else. The height gain won't solve anything because his height is not a problem. At the consultation I saw a man with high self esteem. If he would have been silent and super shy, I could understand that maybe there is a problem of self esteem and maybe this thing would help. But it was not the case for him."

So to all people of little below average to aeverage and tall, get a grip of yourselves.

This is me saying goodbye and good luck to all

So I'm clear here.  Was he calling for you and got your mom b/c you live with your mom?  Or you gave the Dr. your mom's # and signed a medical information release form (both perhaps as she was emergency contact/support) and after you canceled he felt like calling you mom to congratulate her?  Had he spoke with your mom previously or was he calling her for the first time to discuss how great you were and how great your decision to not have the surgery was?  How close was the doctor with your mom?  They talk weekly?

Ok, I started nicely and slipped into snarky, but I really find it hard to believe that the doctor called your mom to chat it up and celebrate your personal medical issues and decision.  It's not impossible at all, but it sounds bizarre to me.  I confess I want LL which likely biases my thinking. 

texasbruce

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:54 AM »

So I'm clear here.  Was he calling for you and got your mom b/c you live with your mom?  Or you gave the Dr. your mom's # and signed a medical information release form (both perhaps as she was emergency contact/support) and after you canceled he felt like calling you mom to congratulate her?  Had he spoke with your mom previously or was he calling her for the first time to discuss how great you were and how great your decision to not have the surgery was?  How close was the doctor with your mom?  They talk weekly?

Ok, I started nicely and slipped into snarky, but I really find it hard to believe that the doctor called your mom to chat it up and celebrate your personal medical issues and decision.  It's not impossible at all, but it sounds bizarre to me.  I confess I want LL which likely biases my thinking.

He is still in school. I guess Catagni considered his mom to be the actual decision maker and wanna confirm.

EndGame

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 01:35:30 AM »

Oh, lol, guess he would be living with his parents then.  Thx.

dvan0

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

TBike was never really enthusiastic about this LL thing. Even if he doesnt get LL he'll still probably still feel better that this LL exists. Funny thing is that once you realize height is a changeable thing it becomes less important.

Chris

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »

Funny thing is that once you realize height is a changeable thing it becomes less important.

Or it becomes the only reason why you haven't committed suicide yet...

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up