Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: future of LL?  (Read 5032 times)

LifeReloaded

• height is life
future of LL?
« on: June 08, 2016, 04:34:28 AM »

Over the past decade there have been several innovations that have made limb lengthening somewhat manageable and easier to undergo. What do you guys think will happen in the next 5-10 years? is there hope for better technology to allow more weight bearing and faster recovery time? and obviously innovations to allow for full soft tissue recovery?
starting height: 172.2 cm (5'8")

GeTs

Re: future of LL?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

Why would you want it, the fact that it's so difficult to undergo it is only a plus for a LL patient. You dont want it to go mainstream because if it does all the advantages of LL disappear. People will start to pay attention to your proportions and if they spot, they'll get angry/jealous and label you as insecure because they see it as a form of cheating

LifeReloaded

• height is life
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:17 AM »

Why would you want it, the fact that it's so difficult to undergo it is only a plus for a LL patient. You dont want it to go mainstream because if it does all the advantages of LL disappear. People will start to pay attention to your proportions and if they spot, they'll get angry/jealous and label you as insecure because they see it as a form of cheating

so difficult that it poses complications for a lifetime? yeah not really a plus for an LL patient

I will still get LL even if it remained the same in the next few years but advancements in recovery would be ideal. Besides, surgeons can always drive up costs so that not everyone has feasible access to it. Also the majority of people don't know that such a surgery even exists, so the advantages will still be there.

aspirant185

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »

I think that the major advantage would be a reduction of costs I dont really see how recovery will become quicker, I mean, its a broken bone , it takes time. However, if some companies start marketing internal nails that cost around 10 000$ and , together with the surgery fees, the an internal surgerc costs between 15 000 and 25 000 $, than I think that would be a good starting point. As of now, it is impossible to have an internal surgery for anything less than 40 000$.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

LifeReloaded

• height is life
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:13:50 AM »

I think that the major advantage would be a reduction of costs I dont really see how recovery will become quicker, I mean, its a broken bone , it takes time. However, if some companies start marketing internal nails that cost around 10 000$ and , together with the surgery fees, the an internal surgerc costs between 15 000 and 25 000 $, than I think that would be a good starting point. As of now, it is impossible to have an internal surgery for anything less than 40 000$.

Id rather hope for quicker recovery than the price lowering. There has to be a way to utilize growth hormones or stem cells to fully heal the stretched soft tissue so that it becomes just like new again.

And I'd rather have the prices stay expensive so that LL will not be an 'easy' thing to get for most people.

CCMidwest

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:47:24 PM »

Id rather hope for quicker recovery than the price lowering. There has to be a way to utilize growth hormones or stem cells to fully heal the stretched soft tissue so that it becomes just like new again.

And I'd rather have the prices stay expensive so that LL will not be an 'easy' thing to get for most people.

Actual full weight bearing internals seems like the most likely near future improvement.

Seems the guys that heal the best are the ones that get back on their feet as soon as they can.

Supposedly the synoste has a higher weight bearing limit, and rumor is that precise is working on a model like that as well.

Supposedly there is bone grafting techniques in development that would speed up bone healing significantly, but I don't know much about it.
5'7.5

fujitora

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »

I read a research article few weeks ago where they were able to inject stem cells on fused growth plates and reinstate growth in them. I would love to see this procedure to go mainstream because that would allow LLers to carry on with their daily routine life, which is a major challenge with the current procedures. Also, such a procedure might allow for quarilateral lenghtening (lengthening both femur and Tibia at once) without breaking any bones, which would be pretty damn awesome :)
Pre-Op Height: 160.5 cms
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Lengthening stopped on 14th Sept 2016
Current height: 165 cms (5 cm)
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »

No side-effects?
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

LifeReloaded

• height is life
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »

I read a research article few weeks ago where they were able to inject stem cells on fused growth plates and reinstate growth in them. I would love to see this procedure to go mainstream because that would allow LLers to carry on with their daily routine life, which is a major challenge with the current procedures. Also, such a procedure might allow for quarilateral lenghtening (lengthening both femur and Tibia at once) without breaking any bones, which would be pretty damn awesome :)

link to article?

fujitora

Pre-Op Height: 160.5 cms
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Lengthening stopped on 14th Sept 2016
Current height: 165 cms (5 cm)
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

vegeta24

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 03:47:48 AM »

I don't post it here a lot so excuse my ignorance, but I seriously don't think this surgery will ever become mainstream for a few reasons. The price, The risks, and the recovery process seems very challenging. The biggest reason this surgery won't go mainstream because of the way the world is going, it's literally crumbling before our eyes, our resources are going to be significantly lower by 2050, and with all the talks about scientists actually pursuing immortality whether it's digital or injected with shots. In 50 years were gonna have WAY bigger problems than our height and I doubt anyone would care at that point, even sooner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up