Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Monegal - Two stage internal Femur - Sept 2015 - Antonio  (Read 20936 times)

Antonio

Re: Dr. Monegal - Two stage internal Femur - Sept 2015 - Antonio
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »

Thanks for the compliment Antonio.. I will definitely do my research before LL... As most "normal" people/doctors will  tell you not to do it because of the risks(and they are actually right) I have no other choice than minimize the risk by choosing the optimum treatment.

I am almost 49 years but look like 39. I am in good physical health, stopped smoking 8 years ago and work-out several times a week.. So, just like you, I have that working for me.

38,5k eur seems a reasonable price compared to others. But at 165/167 cm I want to lengthen a minimum of 10cm... So I think doing femur and tibia(5cm each).. I reckon I need at least double the amount of euro's.

Monegal seems the only doc to promote the Two stage LL.. do other docs fail to see the risks?

I love your quote.."I have overcome my genetic destiny"... that could have come from my mouth...

The benefits of two-stage LL vs. one-stage bilateral are:
1. Significant reduction in risk of fat embolism. Nobody knows exactly why it happens, it can happen during surgery or even a few days after, but it has been shown to be correlated with fracture of long limbs and major injuries. So doing one limb at a time allows for the body to adapt and reduces the risk by more than half (I read somewhere that it was in the order of 3% for limbs but I can't find the source anymore. However this is the incidence, the actual mortality rate is much lower in the order of 5%. So the risk of a fatal fat embolism is about 0,15%)
2. Mobility while lengthening. It is much easier to move around on one good leg and crutches than on a wheel chair.
3. Walking on the fractured leg, if done within safe limits, can aid in bone consolidation.
4. Pain (especially the psychological perception of it) during lengthening is halved.

The disadvantages are:
1. Two operations ie double the risk of cardiac arrest due to anaesthesia (in the order of 0,02%), can be mitigated slightly by using epidural instead of GA
2. Longer time to complete lengthening on both legs
3. Importance of equaling the amount lengthened between legs, but easily achieved with safe amounts of lengthening and doing PT

The choice is yours ...

Antonio

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »

Hi Antonio,

So you just remove the antenna but the nail is still inside ?   

When are you planning to remove the road?

In early 2018

Antonio

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2017, 12:52:23 PM »

Man, be careful to not get greedy. You should do one segment first and see how you feel afterwards, with that new height and all. It'll be better for your health and your pocket.

Also, be very mindful of your age when choosing a LL method.

I agree. You should do one segment first instead of doing cross-lateral

Antonio

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »

It is called irony
Ban also that and let's start a dictatorship

Oh, so the same way you want diaries like Penguinn erased because they do not have proof of X-rays, pics or vids?

The Dreamer wrote on August 29th, 2017:
Yeah,I definitely agree with you👌.He didn't even post any kind of pictures,no X-rays neither videos.And talks about Ilizarov method on femurs😑
I think the moderation should set more restricting rules about writing a diary:it should be an obligation to prove your experience .If it doesn't happen,"the diary" should be erased.
Actually any perfect stranger could write an "experience"

The Dreamer

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2017, 10:54:40 PM »

Oh, so the same way you want diaries like Penguinn erased because they do not have proof of X-rays, pics or vids?

The Dreamer wrote on August 29th, 2017:
Yeah,I definitely agree with you👌.He didn't even post any kind of pictures,no X-rays neither videos.And talks about Ilizarov method on femurs😑
I think the moderation should set more restricting rules about writing a diary:it should be an obligation to prove your experience .If it doesn't happen,"the diary" should be erased.
Actually any perfect stranger could write an "experience"
You are such a liar !
This post was in a diary of a patient of an armenian doctor(Mirzoyan) that seemed very fishy and a lot of user agreed with me.I never mentioned Penguinn
For everyone: see my original post by researching in the principal bar of the forum some keywords
You're a liar,in fact you're a Monegal patient
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

Auron

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »

You are such a liar !
This post was in a diary of a patient of an armenian doctor(Mirzoyan) that seemed very fishy and a lot of user agreed with me.I never mentioned Penguinn
For everyone: see my original post by researching in the principal bar of the forum some keywords
You're a liar,in fact you're a Monegal patient
Diaries like Penguinn's means diaries similar to penquinn's, that do not have videos and x-rays, etc. Don't go around calling people liars when you are not able to understand what they write. And for the record, I do think your idea is absurd as well.

backrandom

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Thedreamer is constantly bugging patients. I don't like what he does. However, Antonio isn't right. Talking about his own experience? Yes, he can do it, but he should refrain from generalizing, since, to my knowledge, he has barely met Monegal patients. For generalizing you need a good databank of real life accounts, not Fitbone propaganda, and it's obvious you don't have it. Don't mislead people, please.

Antonio

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »

Thedreamer is constantly bugging patients. I don't like what he does. However, Antonio isn't right. Talking about his own experience? Yes, he can do it, but he should refrain from generalizing, since, to my knowledge, he has barely met Monegal patients. For generalizing you need a good databank of real life accounts, not Fitbone propaganda, and it's obvious you don't have it. Don't mislead people, please.

Where have I generalized without referring to my own experience? Please elaborate as I am extremely curious to know your point of view

backrandom

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »

Where have I generalized without referring to my own experience? Please elaborate as I am extremely curious to know your point of view
In the thread Limb Lengthening Methods you posted inaccurate data.

For Fitbone, I'd like to add/modify:

Cost per nail is approximately 14k USD. Can weight bear partially up to 25 kg per leg (which means that you can use crutches one week after surgery if you do one leg at a time). No additional surgery required for consolidation if there are no complications. Transmitter cable may break after prolonged lengthening (usually after 7 cm) which may require surgery to remove.

Failure rate of latest version of Fitbone nail is 12 per 10,000 or 0.12%

I already told you that the failure rates of Fitbone aren't accurate according to the Fitbone failures we have heard about in this forum: 1 failure (Helloworld), 3 failures (Musicmaker) and others.

You also talked about the wire breaking especially after 7.5 cm

Transmitter cable may break after prolonged lengthening (usually after 7 cm) which may require surgery to remove.

Was this your case? Where did you hear this inaccurate information? I know the wire was broken in some Monegal patients who had done just 6 cm, and they needed unscheduled surgeries to fix this, of course. It's true the wire can break but due to the nature of the wire, not to excessive lengthening.

I'm in touch with many bad cases of LL from all doctors (Guichet, Monegal, Betz, Mitkovic, Paley...), and these people will tell you that no LL procedure is risk free. You were lucky, but fellow patients of yours weren't, and you should respect them by not mispreading wrong information. Fitbone and Monegal aren't better than Paley and Precise or Guichet and Gnail, so don't make people believe so. All doctors have good and bad cases.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:29:24 PM by backrandom »

Antonio

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 12:34:56 AM »

I already told you that the failure rates of Fitbone aren't accurate according to the Fitbone failures we have heard about in this forum: 1 failure (Helloworld), 3 failures (Musicmaker) and others.

Was this your case? Where did you hear this inaccurate information? I know the wire was broken in some Monegal patients who had done just 6 cm, and they needed unscheduled surgeries to fix this, of course. It's true the wire can break but due to the nature of the wire, not to excessive lengthening.

I'm in touch with many bad cases of LL from all doctors (Guichet, Monegal, Betz, Mitkovic, Paley...), and these people will tell you that no LL procedure is risk free. You were lucky, but fellow patients of yours weren't, and you should respect them by not mispreading wrong information. Fitbone and Monegal aren't better than Paley and Precise or Guichet and Gnail, so don't make people believe so. All doctors have good and bad cases.

I have answered you in the Limb lengthening methods section. I honestly think you should let people come to their own conclusions instead of generalizing about the superiority of one nail or the other, or misrepresenting my experiences and opinions

Antonio

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »

It's obvious to me that you have no clue what you are talking about

backrandom

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2017, 01:37:34 AM »

I have answered you in the Limb lengthening methods section. I honestly think you should let people come to their own conclusions instead of generalizing about the superiority of one nail or the other, or misrepresenting my experiences and opinions

I never generalized. In that thread you generalized about Fitbone and you aren't right.

For Fitbone, I'd like to add/modify:

Cost per nail is approximately 14k USD. Can weight bear partially up to 25 kg per leg (which means that you can use crutches one week after surgery if you do one leg at a time). No additional surgery required for consolidation if there are no complications. Transmitter cable may break after prolonged lengthening (usually after 7 cm) which may require surgery to remove.

Failure rate of latest version of Fitbone nail is 12 per 10,000 or 0.12%

Not true according to the experiences of members in this forum. 12 per 10.000? LOL. You had no need to post those data unless you're being paid by Fitbone. That would explain why only you among Monegal patients signed that 'confidentiality agreement'. Bull . Those confidentiality agreements don't exist. Can you prove?

patientprivacy

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2017, 02:04:14 AM »

No matter if he signed a confidentiality agreement or not, but patient privacy should anyway be respected.

raku

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »

Dear antonio!
Thanks for your sharing. How are you? Did you have knee pain after removing the nail?
Thanks you and best wish.
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.

notatroll

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »

Antonio is a bad promoter. He generalizes and don't speak the truth. Backrandom is right

But I'd add that some doctors have more bad cases than others (Monegal)

I've come to a point where I truly believe that there's bad luck and then, there's also incompetence/neglect/arrogance on the part of the doctors.

Someone reminded me again about MasterHY's diary on the old MakeMeTaller site from 2013 which is quite similar to mine where we were initially so enthusiastic and in complete adulation of our doctors to discover that the moment complications happen, we all get abandoned, dismissed and swept under the rug.

So yes, there is a bunch of us...  sort of hanging around haunting these doctors because of the way they handled complications.  And we won't stop until we're healed no matter how many years it takes.

Antonio

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »

Dear antonio!
Thanks for your sharing. How are you? Did you have knee pain after removing the nail?
Thanks you and best wish.

Thanks raku for your best wishes. Sorry for the late reply. I am fine, I don't have any pain and I do all kinds of sports like before (weight training, running, swimming). If I can help just one person with my diary I am happy. Take care
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up