Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New study on height across countries  (Read 20210 times)

Adonis

• Visitor
New study on height across countries
« on: August 08, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »

Interesting new study of trends in height across countries for the last century. Young Dutch men are now the tallest at nearly 6 feet on average. South Koreans and Iranians show largest increase.

https://elifesciences.org/content/5/e13410

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: New study on height across countries
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:30 AM »

Height related surgeries and other medical procedures in South Korea are on daily basis.

Antonio

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:16 AM »

I seriously doubt that 20 years ago LL was widespread enough in Korea to influence the results ...

Knik

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »

I suspect some research to be truncated to reassure the quality of their lifestyle (particularly in Asia)
Looking for Pili

Alittletooshort

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »

The study isn´t applicable though, the most recent numbers in study are 20 years old.

Antonio

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »

The study isn´t applicable though, the most recent numbers in study are 20 years old.

Applicable to what?

TIBIKE200

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »

it's not data from 1996... It's the present height of those who were born in 1996. This is the most accurate study.
 Also, they excluded from the study all kind of groups which would supposedly lower the average height thus cancelling the ongoing crap in this forum about how these studies are not accurate due to old people and immigrants.

Here is the group of people who were excluded

We excluded data sources on population subgroups whose anthropometric status may differ systematically from the general population, including:

studies that had included or excluded people based on their health status or cardiovascular risk;

ethnic minorities;

specific educational, occupational, or socioeconomic subgroups of the population; and

those recruited through health facilities, with the exception noted below.
I learned some stuff during this time

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »

Stickied.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Alu

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 12:48:53 AM »

it's not data from 1996... It's the present height of those who were born in 1996. This is the most accurate study.
 Also, they excluded from the study all kind of groups which would supposedly lower the average height thus cancelling the ongoing crap in this forum about how these studies are not accurate due to old people and immigrants.

We excluded data sources on population subgroups whose anthropometric status may differ systematically from the general population, including:

studies that had included or excluded people based on their health status or cardiovascular risk;

ethnic minorities;

specific educational, occupational, or socioeconomic subgroups of the population; and

So wait, let me get this straight (and honestly only asking because I didn't read the study in full), that would theoretically mean that a heavily diverse nation, like the U.S, would theoretically have a (marginally) lower height then the one provided? I ask because the ethnic minorities "excluded" seems like such a broad statement...

TIBIKE200

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »

So wait, let me get this straight (and honestly only asking because I didn't read the study in full), that would theoretically mean that a heavily diverse nation, like the U.S, would theoretically have a (marginally) lower height then the one provided? I ask because the ethnic minorities "excluded" seems like such a broad statement...

I dont know... Could also be the opposite (Carribean black people are a minority in Canada but are expetionally tall)... But since as their name implies, ethnic minorities are a minority, if there is a random study of let's say 1000 canadians out of which 10% are black carribeans (while in the general population I dont think they even make the 1%), the average height could be highier than it actually is... So the effect could also lead you to believe that you are much shorter than the actual average..

TIBIKE200

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »

To be frank, I have no idea what is considered an ethnic minority in north america, australia and other immigrant countries... It's easier in my country or european countries but the USA? Who are the ones being singled out? Might be first and second generation immigrants probably...

Sweden

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:04:07 AM »

It's even worse in Sweden. We are facing a total collapse due to all migrants. Well done Sweden!
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Alittletooshort

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 01:49:32 AM »

ethnic minorities;

The numbers don´t really make a lot of sence, If they really excluded the minorities. The average height in austria, hungary, the czeck republic, slovenia should all be pretty much the same, if minorities were excluded (foreigners). All these countires used to be part of the same empire and the ethnic groups were totally mixed up, most of native austrians have roots in some of the countries I named above and all of these people share one large gene pool.
The only real difference between these nations is their wealth and therefore the number of immigrants that came to the countries. There would not be a difference in height if they had excluded all the ethnic minorities.
edit:
@Sweden I feel you  ;D we have the same problems as you guys up there

TIBIKE200

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 02:03:23 AM »

The numbers don´t really make a lot of sence, If they really excluded the minorities. The average height in austria, hungary, the czeck republic, slovenia should all be pretty much the same, if minorities were excluded (foreigners). All these countires used to be part of the same empire and the ethnic groups were totally mixed up, most of native austrians have roots in some of the countries I named above and all of these people share one large gene pool.
The only real difference between these nations is their wealth and therefore the number of immigrants that came to the countries. There would not be a difference in height if they had excluded all the ethnic minorities.
edit:
@Sweden I feel you  ;D we have the same problems as you guys up there

In fact the difference in height is about 1cm if you exclude the balkans which some were parts of the austro-hungarian empire.

Cartman

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »

French men as tall as German ones? Italians and Spanish men/women as tall as US or Russian ones? It seems strange to me... They seems strange also the data for North Africa countries.

Auron

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 11:52:05 AM »

Also, there are absolutely tall people that do this surgery. Dr. Paley operated on a 5'11" Dutch patient (he cites this on his website). Of the thousands of people that do this procedure (Precise alone apparently just hit 2,000 nails, with Dr. Paley having inserted 350 of them, there are only a handful of diaries, and the majority are on this site). I won't reveal my height - many have asked - but I cannot be considered short (I also cannot be considered tall, I am not 6'), and I'll have this surgery in less than 3 months.

I don't think someone 5'11 should be considered tall. Average height, imo, ranges from 5'9 to 6', depending in what country they live. So yeah, I'd say that 5'11 isnt tall but is definitely a good height.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 02:47:07 PM »

I don't think someone 5'11 should be considered tall. Average height, imo, ranges from 5'9 to 6', depending in what country they live. So yeah, I'd say that 5'11 isnt tall but is definitely a good height.

Yeah 6' is average... Also 5'11... Have you ever seen a legit 5'10?  You have no idea what you are talking about

Auron

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »

Yeah 6' is average... Also 5'11... Have you ever seen a legit 5'10?  You have no idea what you are talking about
Where do you live? Inside a cave? Yes, I've seen a legit 5'10, who hasn't? Actually, I think that 5'10 is probably the most commun height we see for males around our age. Anyways, I did state that it was my opinion.

I'm nearly 5'8 and I consider myself short. So, what range for you is considered average?

BiggestProblem

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 03:43:47 PM »

In Sweden men my age are 181. So that's 5'11.5 for you.
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm

Finishing school before doing surgery. Most likely to just do tibias to become at least 170cm.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »

Where do you live? Inside a cave? Yes, I've seen a legit 5'10, who hasn't? Actually, I think that 5'10 is probably the most commun height we see for males around our age. Anyways, I did state that it was my opinion.

I'm nearly 5'8 and I consider myself short. So, what range for you is considered average?

In most of the western world 174-178 is average. above that it's tall below that you start being short

BiggestProblem

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »

How is being 3cm below average tall? Come to Sweden bruh.
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm

Finishing school before doing surgery. Most likely to just do tibias to become at least 170cm.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »

How is being 3cm below average tall? Come to Sweden bruh.

Sweden is not the world. There are "only" 10 million swedes in the world... They do not rappresent the average height for the western world... Neither are the Dutch or the Dynaric alps people...

You are Swedish... That's a different thing... I am not so I do not aspire to be as tall as the average swed

Auron

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »

In most of the western world 174-178 is average. above that it's tall below that you start being short
First I think that your average range is too small. It's like you either consider people tall or short. And second I think that height would be correct only if you take into account women's height as well.

Auron

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »

Sweden is not the world. There are "only" 10 million swedes in the world... They do not rappresent the average height for the western world... Neither are the Dutch or the Dynaric alps people...

You are Swedish... That's a different thing... I am not so I do not aspire to be as tall as the average swed
Yes but then I did say that the average range was 5'9 to 6' depending in what country you live and you mocked me. Apparently I am right.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »

Yes but then I did say that the average range was 5'9 to 6' depending in what country you live and you mocked me. Apparently I am right.

You said that 180cm or even 183 can't be considered tall. That is what I mocked you about...

And no.. The tallest women average is 5'7... My range does not include them.. And also, you will never be called short in the vast majority of the western world if you are a legit 5'9 or 175cm. I know people from France, Italy, USA, Canada who are this height and they never complain about their height, nor do they feel short at that height.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »

First I think that your average range is too small. It's like you either consider people tall or short. And second I think that height would be correct only if you take into account women's height as well.

And of course I consider people tall or short... That's what most people do. Do you think that anyone who is not obssesed about height has knowledge of average height across the world? He sees someone as says shorter or taller than him...

Auron

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »

You said that 180cm or even 183 can't be considered tall. That is what I mocked you about...

And no.. The tallest women average is 5'7... My range does not include them.. And also, you will never be called short in the vast majority of the western world if you are a legit 5'9 or 175cm. I know people from France, Italy, USA, Canada who are this height and they never complain about their height, nor do they feel short at that height.
I did not say that they can't be considered tall. I said they shouldn't be considered tall because, imo, they are average. Basketball players are considered tall people.

By what you said, most of the people here can go from short to tall by lenghtening 6~7cms. That's awesome lol. For instances, I'm 172cm tall, a short person in your book, but if I lenghtened 7cm I'd be 179cm tall, someone whos tall according to you. Hell no.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »

I did not say that they can't be considered tall. I said they shouldn't be considered tall because, imo, they are average. Basketball players are considered tall people.

By what you said, most of the people here can go from short to tall by lenghtening 5~6cms. That's awesome lol.

You are 172. You are some what below average.. By adding 6cm you are going to be taller than 50% of males which means you are above average.. Why is it so hard to accept that?

Basketball players are very very tall... And if someone thinks that being that tall must be the most attractive thing ever or that even not being that tall means not being able to get 100% in life, this person should seek psychiatric help. Because it's like being anorexic with height...

Auron

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

You are 172. You are some what below average.. By adding 6cm you are going to be taller than 50% of males which means you are above average.. Why is it so hard to accept that?

Basketball players are very very tall...
I just think that you have such a wide range for tall people and a super narrow range for average height people.

And if someone thinks that being that tall must be the most attractive thing ever or that even not being that tall means not being able to get 100% in life, this person should seek psychiatric help. Because it's like being anorexic with height...
That's going off topic and, while I think you're right, I won't discuss it.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »

I just think that you have such a wide range for tall people and a super narrow range for average height people.

onemorefoot

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:14 AM »

If you think in the future, maybe height wont be a problem so wont be important, I dont like that. If everybody has
the same advantages, the advantages will disappear, so this world will be bored. Imagine if everybody could aspire to be as intelligent as Einstein, this would be bored and silly. But maybe discrimination could dissapear??? I dont think so, humans would create another things that could make the difference. I am just saying that ADN cant be completily changed, becuase it would create a bored world.

Budget will determine my future.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up