Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External tibia with Dr. Saini / Harry  (Read 2218 times)

john007

• Visitor
External tibia with Dr. Saini / Harry
« on: May 21, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »

So, I have finally decided to have this surgery after reading and discussing with Harry and Dr. Saini.

I am putting this diary so that some of the members can benefit from it as I have also read a lot of diaries and more than that as a payback to this forum, which I have lurked for almost a year and a half before arriving the decision to finally do the dare. I hope my journey will help the prospective in their decision to do this life altering surgery, just like experiences of the veteran LLr's have helped in mine. As much as I want to continue anonymous without posting any graphics, I very much understand that putting only text will be of no help given the nature of this surgery and will only attract the critics. So, I’ll try my best to be as detailed as possible while maintaining my anonymity.

Original height: 165cm
Goal: 6 to 7cm
Method: LON Tibia
Date of Surgery: 16March 2021
Doctor: Dr. Sunil Saini
Resource person: Dr. Hirdesh (Harry)

Before the Surgery: I have been in constant touch with Harry since 6 months on phone and he always explained me each and everything in details. When I was finally convinced then I met him and Harry arranged a meeting with the Doctor. I must say that Dr. Saini is one the best human and very professional I have ever met. Dr. Saini explained me the whole process once again and answered my queries.

Day of the Surgery (Day 0): Before the day of surgery, Harry took me to the hospital, I had all the required blood tests, X-ray and ECG etc. After that there was cleaning of my legs for 2 times.

In the morning I woke up 5 am super positive and excited, prayed the god for my wellbeing, had a chat with a few loved ones. The surgery was schedule at 8 am. Before the surgery I was a bit nervous and could feel all that positivity and excitement wearing off and turning into a skepticism.  I changed my clothes and prepared for the operation. That moment I was so scared, a thought to back out did cross my mind.

lemonz

• Visitor
Re: External tibia with Dr. Saini / Harry
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 04:25:02 PM »

Why did you choose this doctor in particular? Does he have an educational background in LL? Any fellowships > 6 months or 1 year?

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »

I have met both the doctors and had a detailed discussion. My personal experience with Dr. Saini was best. He understands the patients well and explains each and every thing in details. He also explains about the complications very well. Moreover, he is one the best human being I have ever met as after the day of surgery, I don't know what the nurse said to him as I was feeling good but he came to the hospital in the late night and stayed there whole night. That was very surprising for me.
Yeah he has performed a LL surgery before, he has published many research papers in this fields. He has worked under many renowned Illizarov surgeons.
I suggest you to have a word with him then you will understand how good he is in this field.

You can check his profile on the list of doctors, everything is mentioned there and it would be better if you will contact him for more details about LL.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:34:15 PM by john007 »

lemonz

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 07:26:42 PM »

Hi john007,

I don't think only talking to a surgeon is the right way to decide if he is good. Educational and professional experience is most important. Also, kindness is very important in a doctor but it's not sufficient.

I searched for him and couldn't find any research papers or fellowships he has done.

Worked under renowned surgeons means 1 year fellowships or short courses?

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 08:30:48 AM »

D-Day(Day of Surgery:
I Woke up very early at 5 am super positive and a bit nervous. I took a bath and changed my clothes and wore the surgery clothes. The surgery was schedule at 8 am. Before the day of surgery I had X-rays, blood tests, CT scan etc. On the day of surgery I was feeling nervous but Doctor and Harry talked with me and made me comfortable.

During the Surgery: I was given epidural anesthesia, so I was unable to feel my legs. All the staff was very professional. They were interacting with me. They were continuously looking at the X rays of my legs. The surgery took around 6 hours.
After the surgery I was on glucose and I was feeling some pain in my legs. Doctor and Harry discussed about the surgery.

1-5 Days (Hospital Days)
On the first night I was unable to sleep properly due to the discomfort. The pain was there in my legs. The hospital staff was continuously monitoring me. I don't know what happened suddenly in the mid-night my doctor came and examined me. Everything was fine but he still stayed whole night at the hospital. The hospital is itself owned by Dr. Saini. It's a small hospital with all the facilities.
For the first 5 days, I was unable to sleep properly due to discomfort and pain was also there. Passing of stool was also a problem but the hospital staff took care of me very well.
Everyday Dr. Saini visited me and talked with me and made me smile. Dr. Saini is a very nice person. Harry also visited me and asked me about everything and gave me confidence.

Well, to summarize, everything went right. The only problem I faced was discomfort. Pain was obviously there but it was reduced by pain killers.

Below is the pics after the surgery and the X-ray:
https://imgur.com/a/2ycUq2N?s=wa
https://imgur.com/a/vZR8SRr?s=wa

dexter1930

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 02:29:28 PM »

awesome, I did LON tibias on 21 march, exactly 2 months earlier than yours. The pain will subside a little by little everyday with pain meds and   endorphin hormonal releasing. Good luck

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 05:48:28 AM »

awesome, I did LON tibias on 21 march, exactly 2 months earlier than yours. The pain will subside a little by little everyday with pain meds and   endorphin hormonal releasing. Good luck

Thanks dexter

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 06:16:44 AM »

Day 6- Day 20

After 6 days, Harry first turned the screw and explained me everything about the lengthening process. From next day, I started to turn the screw 4 times a day increasing 1mm per day. The pain level has decreased somewhat. I will say that the discomfort while sleeping is more than the pain. After 15 days Harry removed my stiches and on 16th day Harry made me stand. I was reluctant to stand as I was not confident but Harry pushed me and helped me to stand. Harry also increased the level of exercise and advised me to do it 3-4 times a day. I am feeling good that my journey has started and soon I will reach my target.

Harry comes everyday in the evening and we do some rigorous exercises. Harry tells me about his previous experiences also. Harry is very supportive and gives confidence. Now I can stand with the help of walker. Dr. Saini also called Harry and asked for my well-being. Dr. Saini will visit me next week.

I have almost increased 1.4 cm till now. The pain is there somewhat but discomfort is more. Due to work my eating habits are not good so, Harry told me that I should eat well. Due to standing there is little swelling on the ankles. I am using ice-pack for it.

Rest all the things are fine under the careful observation of Harry. Harry is proficient in this process. The way he stretches my legs, I feel pain but afterwards it relaxes my legs. On the 18th day, I did calf raising. I will attach the video below. It's difficult to stand and do the calf raising but Harry supports and helps me.

Below is the video:
   https://imgur.com/a/VQyQeFJ

Keynes

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 01:34:33 PM »

All the best for your journey. Stay strong :D
Starting Height (M/E) - 165/166cm
Ending Height - Approx. 171 cm (Gained a little over 5.5cm)
Surgery: 9 Feb 2021; Frames Removed: 10 May 2021
Current Status: In Consolidation Phase
Link to diary - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=66225.0

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:03 AM »

Day 21- Day 91:
I was very busy due to the work so unable to update everyday so I am updating my whole journey till now in one go. Till now, I only faced discomfort and little bit of pain while standing. Dr. Harry is regularly visiting me for exercise. After 1 month, I had a skin allergy on my legs due to the use of Savlon but it was cured by medicines prescribed by Dr. Saini. Harry made me stand against the wall after 2 months. This exercise makes me sweat. I am unable to walk properly till now. I am still uncomfortable while walking. Harry helps me in walking everyday now. There is some pain on the pin sites now. The biggest challenge I faced during the whole journey till now is the sleep discomfort.
I can say that exercise is also the most important part of the lengthening process. So, one should take it very seriously. Dr. Harry carefully observes my progress and makes me do exercise everyday. Dr. Saini visited me also and he suggested me to take high protein diet.
After 2 months, I have a very little ballerina, Harry told me that it will go with exercise. Now a days its difficult to stand straight. I am rigorously following Harry's advice. He is very professional in this field. I met another patient also and we had a party previous week.

Attached are my X ray and the walking video:

https://imgur.com/a/a2XspQ4
https://imgur.com/a/LDW6Axn

montahn

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »

what about bone formation ? is it produces properly ?
162cm  goal 177cm
Morning height: 164cm Afternoon/Night: 163cm

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 09:25:51 AM »

what about bone formation ? is it produces properly ?

Yeah, it's forming. The formation process is slow. I will upload my latest X-Ray soon.

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »

Till Day 102:

I am feeling stiffness in the legs and I have some Ballerina also. Harry comes everyday and makes me stand and helps in walking. I feel confident when he is there. Rest all the things are fine. I still feel discomfort while sleeping.
Soon my frames will be removed.

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 06:27:36 AM »

Frame Removal:

My frame was removed more than one week ago. I still have pain in my left leg rest all the things are fine. Discomfort level is also less now due to the frame removal.

Krish@100

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »

Hi John

I am a fellow from India looking to get done LL within a year

It would be great if we can connect

Email: krishsharma439@gmail.com

lemonz

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 09:06:11 AM »

Hi john007,

I don't think only talking to a surgeon is the right way to decide if he is good. Educational and professional experience is most important. Also, kindness is very important in a doctor but it's not sufficient.

I searched for him and couldn't find any research papers or fellowships he has done.

Worked under renowned surgeons means 1 year fellowships or short courses?

Could you help me with my queries as I am considering this doctor?
I would rather hear this info from a patient than the doctor himself. It's more reassuring that way.

Thank you

firefly

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 08:11:58 AM »

Hi bro,, any further  update of your condition?

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 07:45:39 AM »

Could you help me with my queries as I am considering this doctor?
I would rather hear this info from a patient than the doctor himself. It's more reassuring that way.

Thank you

Yeah, but it would be better if you contact Dr. Harry.

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »

Hi bro,, any further  update of your condition?

Hi, I am recovering well.

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 07:54:20 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Below is the attached video of my recent walking. I have a small ballerina and I am doing rigorous exercise for it. I am feeling confident now of standing.

https://imgur.com/a/MTkNiCa

Polvorón

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »

Thank you very much for sharing your experience here.

If you can, try to rename the thread to "LON tibia..." because helps people to find better the threads. Maybe if you edit the first post you can fin that option.  :)
Note: at this moment I'm only a "pretender", I want to know more about this interesting procedure. Hopping to become 185 cm (6'1'') from 174 cm (5'8 ½''), but it is too expensive.
My sitting height is 92½ - 94 cm (36''½ 37''), my length of legs is 81 cm (32'') and my armspan is 180 cm (70'' 7/8).

montahn

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 05:45:13 AM »

do you have any pain now? how many days it takes to go back to normal walk ? and what is the total cost ?

162cm  goal 177cm
Morning height: 164cm Afternoon/Night: 163cm

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »

do you have any pain now? how many days it takes to go back to normal walk ? and what is the total cost ?

Still I have some pain in the left leg. I guess it will take some time to walk with confidence. For the cost you should contact Dr. Harry. It will be better if you will consult Harry, he will resolve all your queries.

john007

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 02:22:48 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I was busy with work. So, unable to post everyday.
Attached is the two recent walking videos.

https://imgur.com/a/Fq3hwn3
https://imgur.com/a/kQKeFDL

more

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »

Fake

dexter1930

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 02:46:59 AM »

need to put more effort to make this look more believable, you probably don't see how sloppy  this is from viewers perspective.

notadetective

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »

Even in this diary he has written the PT's name with special emphasis.

Usually you choose the surgeon and then the surgeon recommends a PT. The PT gets instructions from the surgeon on how to treat the patient.

In these 2 diaries (john007 and firefly) they contacted the PT who then introduced them to a surgeon. Isn't that strange? Is this how medical treatment is availed in India generally?
Pages: [1]   Go Up