Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it doable?  (Read 4216 times)

vj01

• Visitor
Is it doable?
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »

Hi,

Just wanted to get your opinion on that. I live in Germany, having here a standard office job. I consider a few options for leg lengthening. As my femurs are relatively short compared to the tibias (generally my legs are pretty short - I'd soon post the pictures in the other thread), I'd consider femurs to be done. Probably these could be tibias as well, I can probably live with some worse proportions as well.

My budget is however pretty limited. I guess, 30k EUR is max (so all internal "modern" options including this spanish doctor are out), and I'd prefer to spend less. The best option seems to be dr. Mitkovic, probably also Salamah with his femur LON. There are also a few other classical Ilizarov doctors available in Europe, but just for tibias.

Even bigger problem than money is about time. I cannot afford being too long out of office. What I could probably afford is something like: 3 weeks vacations + 3 weeks work on the laptop (that would be 6 weeks for the operation), and then moving back to the office in Germany, doing the regular job (sitting most of the time). I might have some treatment (physiotherapy) here on place, there should be also no problem with some random visits to the doctor - but there's no way I can stay like 4-5 months in Serbia or Russia.

Do you think I can make it? Like 6 weeks for operation & initial treatment, then the rest of lengthening at home, working in the office, and visiting the doctor on the regular check-ups (I have good connection to all the Europe from where I live) ?

I know you'll say the pain will be a factor - but let's focus on the operational side now. You'll also say, everyone in the company is going to ask - I don't mind it however.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. 

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: Is it doable?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:29 PM »

No, recovery after the surgery takes time. Your mobility in the first months is almost non existent.

30k is ok for surgery and additional stay but you need to think about having money for complications.

Conan

• Poursuivez vos rĂªves personne ne peut vous stopper
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 01:09:30 AM »

Sorry to deceive you but no it's not possible because of your limit time

Pow

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »

Hi VJ01,

You will need longer to recover and focus on this - things like going to the bathroom etc.. will be a challenge for you.

I don't know if you are able to work from home that might help - when I did mine, a young guy had the op and went back home he corresponded with the doctor via the internet and sent him X-rays - and made a full recovery.  This may be an option but not ideal.

I have completed tibias with Dr. Mitkovic a few years ago and now am considering to do femurs in May 2017.

I didn't have any issues doing my tibias and have gone back to normal life. But if anyone knows someone I can contact who did femurs with Dr. Mitkovic that would be great to know.

Pow
Completed tibias with Mitkovic a few years ago gained 6cm - Planning to do 4 to 5 cm on femurs with mitkovic in May 2017

The Kaiser

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »

Hi VJ01,

You will need longer to recover and focus on this - things like going to the bathroom etc.. will be a challenge for you.

I don't know if you are able to work from home that might help - when I did mine, a young guy had the op and went back home he corresponded with the doctor via the internet and sent him X-rays - and made a full recovery.  This may be an option but not ideal.

I have completed tibias with Dr. Mitkovic a few years ago and now am considering to do femurs in May 2017.

I didn't have any issues doing my tibias and have gone back to normal life. But if anyone knows someone I can contact who did femurs with Dr. Mitkovic that would be great to know.

Pow

how many cm you gained? which method? and when did you walk normally?

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 08:11:30 PM »

I would say not doable. You would need more time and more money
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

The Kaiser

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »

I would say not doable. You would need more time and more money

more time like how much in general?

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 08:30:27 PM »

Depends on the method and healing speed of each individual.
Usually 35 days for each cm are needed for full consolidation. This usually means no full weightbearing  (some internals) or maintaining frame (externals). LON and LATN are a different story.
This guy says he wants to do externals but can't spend more than 3 weeks with doctor and 3 working from home. 6 weeks? Not possible. I would advise out of work at least for distraction period (3 months).
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

The Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »

Depends on the method and healing speed of each individual.
Usually 35 days for each cm are needed for full consolidation. This usually means no full weightbearing  (some internals) or maintaining frame (externals). LON and LATN are a different story.
This guy says he wants to do externals but can't spend more than 3 weeks with doctor and 3 working from home. 6 weeks? Not possible. I would advise out of work at least for distraction period (3 months).

Guichet said 15 days for a cm? maybe because of his nail is different than others? (full weight-barring)

vj01

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

What I am saying is, I have a typical office job, I do not have to travel. I can simply sit in the room and do the things. I think it would be feasible to arrange an extra room for me, where I'd have some privacy.

Let's take dr Catagni and his survey - he clearly states, some of the people continued the office work while having the frames on.

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »

Guichet's nail is different (weightbearing).
Sitting in the room and doing things is easier than other jobs but what if you are in pain? You are underestimating pain that doesn't let you work, but each person is different

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »

People that are doing femurs mostly tend to be in pain even when just sitting.

Guichet said 15 days for a cm? maybe because of his nail is different than others? (full weight-barring)

No, there is no fixator that has magical powers to speed up the lengthening process.

The Kaiser

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »

Guichet's nail is different (weightbearing).
Sitting in the room and doing things is easier than other jobs but what if you are in pain? You are underestimating pain that doesn't let you work, but each person is different

SO you did the surgery or not yet? if not, what method you gonna chose, with who and how many cm?

The Kaiser

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »

People that are doing femurs mostly tend to be in pain even when just sitting.

No, there is no fixator that has magical powers to speed up the lengthening process.

But the process is faster with Guichet, you will gain i cm immediately, and lets say gain 7 cm in two months instead of 4. so you have more time to recover

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »

It's the same crap with everybody. 7cm in 2 months? Unless you have risk of preconsolidation this can damage your nerve system.

Just because Guichet orders patients to click more than 1mm per day doesn't mean the nail can magically make your leg regenerate like a deadpool. The core function of every fixator is the same.

The Kaiser

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »

It's the same crap with everybody. 7cm in 2 months? Unless you have risk of preconsolidation this can damage your nerve system.

Just because Guichet orders patients to click more than 1mm per day doesn't mean the nail can magically make your leg regenerate like a deadpool. The core function of every fixator is the same.

no its 1 mm per day with him
Pages: [1]   Go Up