Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Men/women average height  (Read 5698 times)

Xaime

• Visitor
Men/women average height
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »

What height do you consider to be in the average range for a male and female?

Men: 173-179
Women: 163-169

What is your opinion?

The Kaiser

Re: Men/women average height
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »

What height do you consider to be in the average range for a male and female?

Men: 173-179
Women: 163-169

What is your opinion?

depend on the country. International average for a male is 5'6 but i believe its less.

Alu

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »

depend on the country. International average for a male is 5'6 but i believe its less.

Ehh worldwide average I'm sure is between 5'7-'58 for guys. Obviously western/more developed nations is higher, but overall it's nothing too drastic.

Xaime

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »

I meant average for a country lets say like USA. I know it vary from individual to indivdual, but statistically I think my range for average height for male and female are valid. What do you think?

The Kaiser

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »

I meant average for a country lets say like USA. I know it vary from individual to indivdual, but statistically I think my range for average height for male and female are valid. What do you think?

In USA its 5'9 which many believed 5'8

onemorefoot

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »

Men:177 cm women: 163.5 cm
Budget will determine my future.

BiggestProblem

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »

Sweden

All age adults:
Men - 179.5cm
Women - 165.5cm

Age 25-34:
Men - 181.3cm
Women - 168cm
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm

Finishing school before doing surgery. Most likely to just do tibias to become at least 170cm.

sandman51

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »

It depends on race, age and country. From what I've read for a white male of ages between 18-35 starting from 5'9"~5'10" you are considered average in most western countries. (there are some exceptions like Sweden with higher average)

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »

UK

National average

Men 5-10
Women 5-5

Average of people born 1975 onwards

Men 5-11.5
Women 5-6-5-6.5

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

Poland

National average

Men 5'10
Women 5'6

Men 7'1
Women 6'2

100% accurate i swear.

EndGame

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »

Poland

National average

Men 5'10
Women 5'6

Men 7'1
Women 6'2

100% accurate i swear.

You're a sarcastic one.  Why are you seemingly so dubious of those UK stats?

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »

You're a sarcastic one.  Why are you seemingly so dubious of those UK stats?

Because there is no way that UK average is almost 6', even for younger people.

It's an average for maybe sweden but not UK.

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »

Because there is no way that UK average is almost 6', even for younger people.

It's an average for maybe sweden but not UK.

I can guarantee you it is

I have twonfriends one 6-0.5" and the other 6-2 who say they both now feel pretty average height. The UK is a well fed nation.

The average guy i meet is easily 4-5" taller than me

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »

I have twonfriends one 6-0.5" and the other 6-2 who say they both now feel pretty average height. The UK is a well fed nation.

We already had someone like that, a guy that thought 6' is average in Australia.

You just focus on taller people, but how about looking out for shorter ones?

Besides i was in London like 2 years ago and i was feeling better with my height than my homecountry(which i wouldn't give more than 5'11 avg).

Jack1066

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »

I believe UK ages 25-34 average height is around 177.8 cm (you can check it on wiki). Height is still increasing but not very much. The BBC says the class distinction in height levelled off with the generation born in the early 1960s or 70s (forget which now) and now we are likely getting very close to the peak. "Anglo-Saxons" are Caucasian, sure, but genetically more Celtic than Germanic by and large (I think it's about 60/40) which makes them a little shorter than their purely Germanic cousins, perhaps. I guess those of pure southeastern English stock are probably closer to 5'11 on average though. I think Welsh guys (25-34) are about 5'9.5 on average, which makes sense as Wales is still the poorest country in western Europe or something.

It's true the 95th percentile in height has gotten higher and higher, though. But the 50th and 75th percentiles seem to be about the same. Although the lower percentiles might also have risen. I think 5'8 (my height) for all sections of the population is in about the 33rd percentile, but for my generation it is in the 25th or so! That could be just because old people shrink an inch or two though.

I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but I wouldn't actually want to be above the 95th percentile anyway. Above the 75th would be really nice (which is incidentally perhaps a few mm lower than 6 ft) but 5'10 is fine guys. Stop worrying. Most girls really can't tell that well, because most girls are shorter than 5'6 (I think 5'4.5 is average for 25-34 year old white women in the UK now). I went through a massively self-confident phase when I was a bit younger and girls used to ask if my height was 5'10 (I was probably not even quite 5'8 then). Now one of the same girls recently asked me if I was 5'6! That's just because I've been down for a few years and am much more introverted.

5'10 with confidence (and maybe some subtle lifts) is as good as an averagely confident 6 ft anyway, imo. And 6 ft is basically as good as 6'2. Unless the lady in question is VERY particular/unusually tall and cared a lot about height. I guess in the corporate world things might be different but that's not my kind of place anyway. Also, depends on where you live, what the culture around you is and so on.

Er, anyway, you're welcome for the essay.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:27:07 PM by Jack1066 »

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »

Although the lower percentiles might also have risen. I think 5'8 (my height) for all sections of the population is in about the 33rd percentile, but for my generation it is in the 20th or so! That could be just because old people shrink an inch or two though.

A shift from the 33rd down to the 20th percentile would indicate a massive difference of the average height of younger and older people, not a slight one as you said. I'm not sure if it's really that of a big difference, I think that height is somewhat short now and probably was also somewhat short 30 years ago. That's what I like to believe at least.

Still, I don't think the height increase of young people is due to old people shrinking. I don't think the data even reflects that. They probably use measurements from people when they were younger and don't account for any shrinkage.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Jack1066

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »

I just checked it and corrected it. It's actually more like the 25th percentile. But old people definitely do shrink- most men shrink an inch between 30-60, and women apparently shrink two inches in their old age (on average). I think that could show a pretty significant difference, especially in a first world country with a lot of old people. It's amazing how the height percentiles curve downwards after the age of 50 or so if you look at the WHO line graphs for example. I guess that's also down to class differences in height up to the 60s too.

No, they just collect the data from different age groups. So like, the UK average for all those males older than 16 is about 5'9, which I'd say accounts for an inch of shrinkage and shows the relatively small amount of growth. For 25-34 specifically it is 5'10.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »

https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/

178cm is above average in the USA for all adults on the whole, while in the Netherlands it's somewhere around the 33rd percentile.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »

People talking about percentiles and i'm not even above 3rd lol.

Imho as long as you are at least around 50th percentile u are good.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:48 AM »

here in USA its definitely 5'8-5'9. a good buddy of mine who is 6'2 was always referred to as tall by alot of my other friends even the averagely tall guys 5'10-5'11 called him tall. i never saw him as very tall though  for some reason and another one of my friends who is 6'3 told me he only saw someone taller than him once or twice.  usa isnt a tall country but its very diverse. in more german/europe influenced states of course it'll be another world rather than if u go to california or arizona with mexican influence

Nightwish

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:29 AM »

Lols. It isn't.

I have two friends who are 6'2 and are stand out tall. I have another friend who's 6'4, he's crazy tall. Someone else I know is 6'6 and I think I've met one person taller than him in my life. I've walked into rooms before where I've not even felt overly short at 5'5 and a bit. When I'm on the tube I can almost guarantee I won't be the shortest male in the carriage. Official average is 5'10 and that seems about correct to me for my generation.

And I am most certainly not shorter than over 50% of females!
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler
Pages: [1]   Go Up