Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guichet Pre-Op Test's  (Read 3704 times)

Random Hero

Guichet Pre-Op Test's
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »

I'm going for a consultation in London with Dr Guichet in January and I wanted most if not all the pre-op test's Unicorn888 mentioned in her diary so I can bring them along to the consultation which are as follows (stolen from Unicorn's diary):

-  Blood tests serology, coagulation, blood group, blood count, ESR, CRP, liver tests, CTX, Alc Phosphatases £180/NHS)
N.B: The only 2 NHS doesn't do is the Alc. Phosphates+Bone Isoenzyme and blood grouping.  I went to HCA Labs at 111 Harley St since same group as Princess Grace, so Doc G receives results automatically.  Cost £180 for both.
-  Pre-op cardiological ECG report (NHS)
-  Pre-op dental report (£60)
-  Bone densitometry (full body, hip and spine) £450
-  EOS 3D Body xray (anterior-posterior, lower limbs) £330

I have just been to my GP and he said the NHS will not provide me with any of the above because it is private surgery?!

What's the deal with that, is there any fellow Englishmen that have managed to get any of these test's from the NHS and how?

I don't mean to sound bitter but I want a return on the ten's of thousands of pounds I've paid in taxes for "free" healthcare.
Current Height: 5"8 - Desired Height: 5"10.5

Mechanical Engineer living in Sheffield, England

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
Re: Guichet Pre-Op Test's
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:36 AM »

Can't help regarding getting the tests on the NHS but have you booked a consultation yet?

I'm sure Unicorn will be along at some point with the information you need.

Good luck, please keep a diary.

Random Hero

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »

Can't help regarding getting the tests on the NHS but have you booked a consultation yet?

I'm sure Unicorn will be along at some point with the information you need.

Good luck, please keep a diary.

I've requested a January consultation but not confirmed by Dr. Guichet's team as of yet; will probably ring Monday just to confirm availability.

I'll probably write up a brief diary I was always awful at English though so it won't be anywhere as interesting and amusing as Unicorn's but I'll try my best!  :D

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »

How did you get on with the tests? I'm hoping to get a consultation ASAP and push this forward. Still no email from Guichet though.

Was the consultation positive?

The Kaiser

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »

How did you get on with the tests? I'm hoping to get a consultation ASAP and push this forward. Still no email from Guichet though.

It takes sometime, aim for a week or two for response lol. sometimes a 24 hours.

Random Hero

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:43:10 AM »

I'll write something a bit more in depth when I have the paperwork infront of me but yes the consultation was very positive thank you.
We discussed my aspirations and Guichet seemed to think it feasible with extensive stretching as I have tight muscles (unable to put the palms of my hands flat on the floor whilst bending forward's with my legs straight) so the balls in my court per say.
No tests conducted as of yet still working my way through the droves of questions he requires answering but I did find a cybex facility that charges £50 instead of the £150 unicorn was charged in London so I'll be doing that soon as a baseline then start hitting the gym to gain the required muscle mass and then a subsequent retest to see if I've gained enough muscle.
Don't laugh but I've also taken up yoga haha. My first class is on Wednesday; no idea what to expect :o

Pretty sure he has a PA now who should answer you as soon as possible. Took 1-2 weeks for a response for me when he didn't have a PA I think..hang in there :P

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply. Did you meet Guichet in London? My flexibility is very poor is this something that can be resolved in weeks or months? What did you do pre consultation as I'm trying to get one as soon as we have the same day available.

When are you hoping to have the surgery and in London I assume?

Random Hero

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »

No worries :) were all in the same boat here least we can do is help one another.

Yes I met him in London.

There are people far more qualified on the forum than me to answer this but defiantly months, I believe Guichet offers a pre op training package that lasts 2-3 months if I remember correctly so that should give an indication of preparation times.

6-8 months of self administered stretching exercises should be sufficient for someone with tight muscles; I've talked to physiotherapists and chiropractors who both say yoga would be hugely beneficial in addition to stretches targeting hip flexors, quadriceps and glutes so that may be a good idea..you never know you might even enjoy it :P

In order to meet Guichet for a consultation you are required to fill out a large pdf and return it to him which is a series of medical and personal questions about your reasoning behind the surgery; when he responds to your email he will most likely attach the form.

Annalisa

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »

I'm always happy to find new Guichet patients stories. Do you think, other than yoga (which I don't think I can do now), cycling is a good way to improve your flexibility? I plan to do  3 months of training preparation with Guichet trainers in Milan. I think training with professionals will help me to stay disciplined; plus, my progresses will be regularly controlled, so that I can undergo the operation as soon as I reach Guichet requirements. But there is no a specific package. The pre-op training costs 5 thousand at month, as far as I know. Or have the prices changed since the last time I chatted with Guichet?

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »

From an email I received from Dr Guichet, pre op training is 3000GBP in London, I'm sure one month of solid pre op training would be sufficent, I was hoping to avoid this as with accommodation I'm looking at 6000GBP and I would loose another months wages. But my flexibility is very poor and my legs are so skinny and as I really would like to complete this surgery in July I think this is my only option  :-\

Random Hero

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »

Yea I seem to remember the 3,000GBP figure too; possibly cheaper in Milano I didn't enquire.

Have either of you enquired about pricing in Milano? If its cheaper than London (52,000GBP) by 5,000GBP or so I'd be inclined to go there instead.

Funding is a major hurdle for me and at 25 I'm at the optimal age imo so I do not want to delay further than necessary having to build up additional capital for something I can do myself; I mean three grand for some training? really?

I'm not a pro athlete by any stretch of the imagination but I was at amateur MMA competition level and I believe if you want something bad enough you'll do anything to achieve it; it's all in the mind.

When Guichet was commenting on my stiffness he said I could do 4-5cm at a push in my current state but if I became for flexible 8cm is achievable so you'll have to ask yourself if you'll be happy with 5cm knowing that if you trained/waited a little harder/longer you could have achieved more?

Random Hero

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »

I'm always happy to find new Guichet patients stories. Do you think, other than yoga (which I don't think I can do now), cycling is a good way to improve your flexibility? I plan to do  3 months of training preparation with Guichet trainers in Milan. I think training with professionals will help me to stay disciplined; plus, my progresses will be regularly controlled, so that I can undergo the operation as soon as I reach Guichet requirements. But there is no a specific package. The pre-op training costs 5 thousand at month, as far as I know. Or have the prices changed since the last time I chatted with Guichet?

'Stretching after a ride is beneficial because cycling shortens your muscles. Think about it: you are pedalling constantly, with no range in that movement. The position of the rest of your body may change, but your legs are rotating in a very limited manner. This means that those muscles are incredibly strong, but also short and tight.'

Took this little snippet from the internet; could be nonsense but logically it makes sense so maybe you'll actually be doing more harm than good?

The physio and chrio didn't suggest any sport except yoga for stretching (other than stretching ofc).

I'm under the impression gymnastics would surely be beneficial too?

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »

This is very interesting, I am starting yoga from today and have installed a Yoga app on my
TV so hopefully I can do 30 minutes a day?

I do agree when you include housing and loosing a months wage pre op training is very expensive. I haven't looked into Milan I think I'd rather pay the extra and complete it all in my home country English speaking etc.

When are you planning on having the surgery, a realistic timeframe? I was hoping July but am too worried about my flexibility.

Have you looked into accommodation?

Nice to have a future Guichet patient to talk to! :)

Annalisa

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »

Well, gbp is a stronger  currency than than the  euro (even if has weakened a lot after brexit referendum), so 3000 gbp's should the equivalent of 5000 euros. I think that it takes 3 months of hard daily  training to become flaxible enough, especially if you have a sedentary lifestyle and your body is not fit enough. I thought about cycling cause Guichet seems to see it as is favorite exercise method, he even requires you to ride a cyclette soon after waking up from the anesthesia, but maybe you right and it is no the ideal activity to improve flexibility. I still think that training with Guichet trainers is the best solutions. It is pricey, but reaching the right shape, will be easier and faster. And I know how it is feels not to have enough money. I'm  mentally prepared for the operation,money is the big hurdle in my way. If one of you got good earning ideas to overcome the financial aspect of this operation, would be nice to share it. Anyway, keep us updated.

AnotherLevel

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 07:56:17 PM »

Well in the email Guichet has sent me it states one months pre op training is 3000GBP. I honestly do not think anyone on here has seriously done more than a month pre op training on top of maybe training in your local area with a PT.

I am late twenties and plan to re mortgage my property to raise some of the capital, I struggle to see any other way to raise the money apart from saving for years and years.

You planning on completing your surgery in London?
Pages: [1]   Go Up