Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: My journey to become taller with Indian Spinal Injuries Centre  (Read 42647 times)

Chris

My journey to become taller with Indian Spinal Injuries Centre
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:45 PM »

Hello everyone :)

It's finally time for my own LL experience and this is going to be a diary about my journey to become taller.

About me

I'm male and my current height is 161cm.
My leg-to-height ratio is 0.48 which means that I'm short and leggy to begin with.
My goal is to become 169cm which will increase my leg-to-height to 0.50.
For esthetical reasons, I'll make sure to never exceed this ratio.

I'm a graduate studend who doesn't want to wait for LL until his best years are over.
So, for budget reasons, I will do externals (LON) only and look for a cheap, but yet reliable place to have my surgery done.
I want to do quadrilateral lengthening, but it's hard to find good doctors who would do it.

New Delhi and the ISIC - first impressions

A cheap, but yet reliable place seems to be the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre (ISIC) of New Delhi.
It's a reputable government-funded hospital and they only employ doctors who can do their jobs well.
Their core speciality is spinal services, but they can do all kinds of orthopaedics like fracture fixation (nailing and plating).
They know how to lenghten legs, because they do it for people who have lost a few centimeters due to accidents.
Generally, the don't like to do cosmetic surgeries, because from a medical point of view, those people are healthy.
But they will do cosmetic leg lenghtenig if you come up with a good reason like in my case: daily discrimination due to short stature.
Their philosophy is to restore hope in a life worth living.
To this date, they have done cosmetic leg lenghtening only twice (and Tolly of this forum was indeed one of them).
But they have had many more people coming for consultation.
The main orthopaedic surgeon for leg lenghtening is Dr. Deepak Raina. He works as a team with Dr. Surbhit Rastogi who is specialized in pediatric orthopaedics and trauma. But I haven't met Dr. Deepak yet, though. I only met Dr. Surbhit today, because Dr. Deepak has gone on leave till thurstady.
I received an email from the ISIC, informing me that my long-awaited appointment for today got canceled, when I literally had just checked in to my flight to India  :o >:( :'(  (many emotions).
So I quickly replied to them that I was already on my way to India and asked for another doctor. It took me weeks to finally get an appointment from the hospital, but this time, they were very responsive and offered me an appointment with Dr. Surbhit Rastogi. I was relieved.
I hadn't been to India before and when I left the I.G.I. Airport, seeing New Delhi was quite a shock to me:
The sky is always grey and sometimes even brown. The air stinks terribly. The soil is littered, The traffic is what I considder mayhem. It's also very loud, there are little to no sidewalks or ways to safely cross a street. And when you have walked for ten minutes, you probably saw five guys urinating against walls and bushes. And all those skinny stray dogs everywhere - poor things :'(
The people are mostly nice to foreigners though, but some pickpocket had opened my backpack when I was unsing the subway.
Nothing stolen though, because I keep everything hidden and difficult to reach or leave it in my hotel.
This is the surrounding you're getting into, if you opt for a surgery in New Delhi - be warned!
In contrast to it, the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre is in a somewhat more quiet and save area.
The Hospital itself is clean and organized. The staff was very friendly and allways helpful to me, even when I had to ask for directions twice.
If you are new to the ISIC, you will have to register first in the OPD (even with an appointment). In order to do so, you will have to follow the sign that says "Orthopaedics" and then you will have to turn to the counter that has something like OPD payments written on it. I can't remember the exact words, but this is basicly what you have to look for. There is no sign or hint at all, that you can also register. So this info might be a little helpful, if any one of you every wanted to go there ;) Appart from that, everything is like I already said: organized. Once you have made it through the quite simple registration process, you will have to pay for "Registration" (150 INR) and "First Consultaion" (900 INR). You will be given a folder for all the future documents, a "Patient Identification Card" and a deteiled cash receipt. Then they will tell you a room number (1 to 5) and you just go there and give your ID card to whoever is standing in front of it. The you will have to wait some time until the call you by name. I arrived in time for my appointment and had to wait for just about 10 minutes.
Dr. Surbhit Rastogi was very friendly and open to me. His English is very good, but I'm not a nativ speaker, so maybe you could think otherwise.
He explained the hole LL process, the possible complicantions and prognosis to me and he told me about their two former LL patients and even offered me to meet one of them.
What I'm not so happy about: He told me that he considders quadrilateral as too dangerous and Dr. Deepak will probably think the same way about it :'(
Furthermore, Dr. Surbhit thinks that only LATN is possible, because they don't use or have any long nails. This would double the costs because of two surgeries. And I would definitely have to come back to India for a second time to get my nails in. Locking the LON-nails is something my doctor at home could do as well, but inserting the nails at home is too pricy. According to Tolly (who is a proven former patient) both LON and LATN were possble.
So in the end Dr. Surbhit offered me to come back on friday when Dr. Deepak has returned from his vacation. It will be a second "first consultation" free of charge and we will talk about things like LON again and plan my surgery together. I wouldn't have minded paying 900 INR again since it's "just" ~12.56 Euros, but it was a very kind gesture :D

In a nutshell: I dind't get what I want (for now), New Delhi stinks and everything is taking longer then I had anticipaded.
The ISIC and Dr. Surbit seem highly trustworthy and gave me an overall good first inmpression. Looking forward to finally meet Dr. Deepak.

Here is a picture of the ISIC's lobby that I took:

I will write more on Friday, wish me luck regarding LON, beacuse LATN only would interfere with my plans.
Until then, I will use the time to find another cheap and reliable doctor who could do LON, just in case...

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

IwannaBeTaller

Re: My journey to become taller with Indian Spinal Injuries Centre
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:25:25 PM »

Best of luck.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

onemorefoot

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:35:02 AM »

Best wishes.
Budget will determine my future.

ajay99

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »

hiii buddy, are you from india?, I am also want to do LON and I am Researching about LL from 2 years and I have also met many doctors in Delhi Dr sringari, Dr sarin and dr mansih dhawan. At the end i have decided to go with sarin because he is more experienced than others. so If you also want to do LON than do it together with sarin and If you are interested to do it with me then send me the msg and I will send you the address of DR sarins guest house in gurgaon and I will meet you there and within next week i will be there to take surgery date.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »

Thanks, IwannaBeTaller and onemorefoot  :)

@ajay: If you read my diary,  you will see that I'm clearly not from India ;)

Edit: Sorry for all the spelling errors in my first post. Next time I'll make sure to have spell check turned on :P
I'm a real LL-patient.

ajay99

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 09:13:48 PM »

okk fine 

Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 04:13:01 AM »

December 16th, 2016

Today I finally had my consultation with Dr. Deepak.
Dr. Surbhit and the rest of the team where there, too, so the office became kinda crowded :D
But despite so many people, the atmosphere remained pleasant throughout entire conversation.

To my relief, it turned out that LON is absolutely possible for both, tibia and femur.
Dr. Deepak and his team merely prefer LATN over LON to keep the risk of FES at a minimum.
Like Dr. Surbhit had already warned me about, Dr. Deepak advised me to stay the hell away from quadrilateral lengthening.
The reasons are a high risk of FES (which I already knew about and was fine with it) and an extremely high risk of severe and permanent nerve damage (which was new to me).
On average, the permanent nerve damage is very likely to happen, when the speed of lengthening (for tibia and femur combined) is faster than 2mm per day.
In the end, Dr. Deepak and Dr. Surbhit convinced me to go for bilateral lengthening and then went on planning the treatment with me.

My planned treatment is divided into three stages (I-III):

I. Bilateral tibia and nailing (monorail, LON)
II. Locking the nails + bilateral femur and nailing (monorail, LON)
III. Locking the nails

The estimated final costs will be 966.000 INR, which is about 13.500 Euros.

This is for all four segments and a total of 13 days of (minimum) hospital stay in a one-bed room.
If you don't want to fly home for lengthening or live in a hotel, the rent for a one-bed room is 9625 INR per day (that's ~136EUR/142USD per day).

My advice regarding hotels in New Delhi

If you're planning to stay in a hotel for the time of lengthening, NEVER EVER go to any of those countless hotels which have "NH8" in their address. This means National Highway 8.
It's VERY noisy, the smog and smell is the strongest (even inside the hotels), there are absolutely no sidewalks, most hotels claim to have elevators but they fail to mention that you actually have to take the stairs in order to reach them!
Go to "higher standard hotels" instead like Novotel, IBIS, etc. which are located in "Aerocity" between the IGI Airport and the Indian Spinal Injuries Centre.
Yes, they are a little more expensive, but they are still half the prize of a tiny one-bed room in the ISIC and much more comfortable to live in.
In addition to it, it's a more secure area, there are ATM's and a metro station linked directly to the airport.

December 20th, 2016

My stage-1 surgery was planned for today, but it has to be postponed, because my bank has been refusing to transfer money to the ISIC's overseas account for no f*ing reason and they didn't even care to inform me >:(
I have to fly back home in order to take legal actions against my bank.

December 22nd, 2016

Finally, my money got transferred today - Yay!
My bank has caused me ~850 Euros of expenses for flying home and back again >:(
Luckily, I have legal costs insurance. They will take care of it.
I have contacted the ISIC and am waiting for a new confirmed date for my stage-1 surgery.

I will write again once I've been re-admitted into the ISIC...

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:09:36 AM by Chris »
I'm a real LL-patient.

DreamOf180cm

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:08:28 AM »

Good luck man! Looking forward to this! :)
Height: 171.5
Goal: 177cm
Dream: 182.5cm

TrueSpartan

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »

I am glad you decided against doing both segments at the same time.

Good luck!

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 11:13:13 AM »

Good luck man! Take the journey with German stoicism!  ;)

Chris

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:07:52 PM »

Good luck man! Looking forward to this! :)
Thanks!

I am glad you decided against doing both segments at the same time.

Good luck!
Yea, I'm somewhat desperate and I wanted too much.
Possibly dying from FES is one thing, but going through all this s*it, just to end up crippled afterwards would be a waste.
I can see it now.

Good luck man! Take the journey with German stoicism!  ;)
Haha, I'm far from that stereotype ;D
First my appointment got canceled while I was on my flight to India, then my plane almost had to land in Mumbai instead of Delhi, then India's currency reform left me with almost no available cash and finally my bank refused to transfer the money without any legal basis. I really wonder what will come next  :P
But I won't brake for anything put on my road to the first surgery now  8)

I'm a real LL-patient.

hype88

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »

Hey mate, awesome to hear you've started your journey! I've been looking at the same place as well and best of all I want to do the same procedure. Are you lengthening 4cms on each segment? and how long to do you think it will take to recover in order to return home? because I'm currently trying to figure out how long I will be away from home in order to complete LL.

Thanks

Hype88

Chris

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »

Hey mate, awesome to hear you've started your journey! I've been looking at the same place as well and best of all I want to do the same procedure. Are you lengthening 4cms on each segment? and how long to do you think it will take to recover in order to return home? because I'm currently trying to figure out how long I will be away from home in order to complete LL.

Thanks

Hype88

Hello Hype  :)
After the first surgery, I will lengthen my femurs 4,5cm. And after the second surgery, I will lengthen my right tibia 4cm and my left one 4.5cm which is shorter by 5mm.
Approx. 5 days after each surgery I will leave the hospital and fly home for the time of lengthening and go to a local clinic where I can have my weekly checkups and the final locking of the nails in my tibias.
I'm having a multiple entry visa for 6 month so I can enter and leave the country as I please.
If I had to stay in India, I would plan for 173 days, which is almost 6 month and takes into account very slow lengthening and complications.

I just hope that I won't run out of time, because after some legal fight with my bank at home, my money finally got transferred to the State Bank of India (I know it's there), but now the ISIC has emailed me back and told me that they have "some problem getting confirmation" from their bank and that they will contact me again asap :'(
I assume this is because of the holidays and new year, or just because it is India, I don't know. Everything seems so incredibly slow here.

I'm a real LL-patient.

hype88

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »

Nice man! sounds like you've got a lot planned, must be super exciting haha. If you don't mind me asking, where is home for you? That's handy having one of those visa's, I actually didn't know you could get something like that. So roughly 6 months away is a long time to be away especially being a foreigner and have your own business arghh...

Yeah, I read that! it's such an inconvenience when your on a visa! I've had similar circumstances dealing with overseas trading but I'm your probably right because it's the end of the year.

What's the facilities like where your staying? have you met any other LL patients over there?

Chris

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »

Nice man! sounds like you've got a lot planned, must be super exciting haha. If you don't mind me asking, where is home for you? That's handy having one of those visa's, I actually didn't know you could get something like that. So roughly 6 months away is a long time to be away especially being a foreigner and have your own business arghh...

Yeah, I read that! it's such an inconvenience when your on a visa! I've had similar circumstances dealing with overseas trading but I'm your probably right because it's the end of the year.

What's the facilities like where your staying? have you met any other LL patients over there?

I live in Europe. Every European citizen - and many more nationalities as I remember - can have a long term visa, which makes India a bit more easy to get into for LL than Russia.
But you might have to show the Immigration Office some travel plans first if you ask for more than 2 entries.

The facilities are very clean. The look and the sizes of the rooms are below western standards of course, but it's still okay to be in there.
I had been admitted for half a day before I realized that my bank didn't transfer the money, so I can tell.
I haven't seen the operation theater yet, but it is supposed to be top notch (by western standards).

And no, I haven't met any LLers at the ISIC and I probably won't. They offered me to meet one of their two former patients who are both Indians, which I kindly refused. I'll be their first international LL-patient.
Two LLers doesn't sound like much experience at first, but according to them, they are doing it quite often, just on one leg.

I'm a real LL-patient.

hype88

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »

That's handy then! To you need to have travel plans? I would have thought the Dr would write a letter or something in regards to your reason for visiting?

Oh, it's better than nothing though...Good to hear! I'm excited to follow your journey.

Really? I thought you would have been interested in meeting people you've gone a head of you, maybe get some tips & advice from them? what was your reasoning for turning down the chance to meet them? mmm...That doesn't sound a lot at all...

Chris

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »

That's handy then! To you need to have travel plans? I would have thought the Dr would write a letter or something in regards to your reason for visiting?

Oh, it's better than nothing though...Good to hear! I'm excited to follow your journey.

Really? I thought you would have been interested in meeting people you've gone a head of you, maybe get some tips & advice from them? what was your reasoning for turning down the chance to meet them? mmm...That doesn't sound a lot at all...

Some clinics do not write invitation letters for medical visa. So a long-term visa for tourists (preferably for multiple entries) is the only option.
The Immigration Office didn't want any travel plans from me, but I know that they requested travel plans from someone I personally know (US citizenship) after he had applied for "3 times entry" visa.

And regarding meeting former patients of the ISIC: It was a very kind offer - no question about it, but I already know enough to pull trough (I even know how to solve the underwear issue ;D)
Plus privacy is important to me and I don't want anyone to visit me after LL, so it would be unfair to take advantage of it.

It's not a lot because Dr. Deepak doesn't really like to do cosmetic LL surgeries for ethical reasons. However, he and his team have been performing a lot of leg lengthening for non-cosmetic reasons. They really seem to know what they are doing. I trust them enough to have my surgery with Dr. Deepak and in addition, I have a great doctor at home who will look after me too  :)

I'm a real LL-patient.

hype88

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Oh yeah I know what you mean now man! let me know how you get because I might see you over there in a couple of months depending on who I choose. In saying that do you have the Dr's direct email? ill swing him an email and see whats up

Chris

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »

Oh yeah I know what you mean now man! let me know how you get because I might see you over there in a couple of months depending on who I choose. In saying that do you have the Dr's direct email? ill swing him an email and see whats up
There are no direct email addresses (that I'm aware of), they somehow prefer to call everyone.
But you can email the Front Office and ask them to forward questions or to schedule an appointment. That's what I did.
I'm a real LL-patient.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »

Chris, hows the doc's & staff english? also would u do me a favor and ask what cm max they would do on tib and femur? Thx

Chris

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »

Chris, hows the doc's & staff english? also would u do me a favor and ask what cm max they would do on tib and femur? Thx

I wrote about their English in my first post.

Dr. Deepak has the same "save" limits as everyone else.
He will explain everything to you. As a doctor, your safety and good results are his priority.
But he will also let you do whatever you want with your body if you choose to ignore him.
The user named "tolly" has lengthened 8cm on tibia with him.

I'm a real LL-patient.

Chris

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »

Short Update

My money finally arrived at the ISIC's account on January 7th, but it took the Billing Office till Friday 20th to confirm the transaction.
I had to "push" several times. I kindly asked them to also provide me a new date for my surgery so that I could book my flight to India accordingly.
But the Billing Office choose to ignore it completely.
Gonna write an email to the Front Office now, but it looks like I will have to start over again, which means flying to New Delhi, having an appointment with Dr. Deepak during his regular OPD hours and then waiting for my surgery for several days while living in a hotel  ::)

So far, I've lost 6 weeks of my precious time due to no/slow transactions, holidays and bureaucracy :(
Learn from my mistakes and bad luck so that it won't happen to you!

I'm a real LL-patient.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »

That's unfortunate. From a positive side though, at least you had 6 additional weeks with the surgery in front of you to decide if it is really, really, really worth it to you. If people will judge you in the future for having done this surgery, they at least can't accuse you of not having thought it through.

Chris

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »

So, the ISIC has my money, but I still haven't got a reply from neither the Billing Office nor the Front Office.
This really pisses me off, so I'm going to fly to New Delhi without an appointment on Sunday and ask them directly what's going on.
Seriously, staff is quite nice once you are at their hospital, but communication over the internet is just atrocious, even if you fill out their official forms online. /rant

Let's just face it, I've lost a great deal of time.
The new semester is around the corner and I have made it nowhere with LL yet.
I don't even know what will happen when I'm in India again next week, but I just can't wait any longer.

Now I (and my parents agree *lol*) have come to the conclusion that unilateral lengthening might be a solution to my lack of time and upcoming obligations.
I'm seriously considering this now. I've been thinking about doing 5cm (LON) on my left tibia first which is 5mm shorter than my right one. Then, when the upcoming semester is over, I would do 4.5cm (LON) on my right tibia. And after one more semester (after graduation) I would have the time again to do both femurs (4-5cm) at the same time.
Unilateral lengthening is a bit more costly and much more time consuming of course, but at least it would allow me to became taller while studying and taking part in life with reduced mobility. I would just have to wear different shoe inlays (1-4.5cm) while lengthening and an orthopedic shoe with a lift for a few month until the second surgery.
And the more I think about it, it would also reduce the risk of complications that often arise from weight-bearing, since one leg is always healthy/partly healed.

Okay, that's it for today. Just wanted to write down how my thinking is changing over time. This is supposed to be a diary after all  :P

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:58:36 PM by Chris »
I'm a real LL-patient.

Bander72

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »

You should check the time zones and use a paycard to India to call them. I would advice against the unilateral lengthening. You run more risk every time you go under the knife so that's increasing your chances even if it reduces complications after. Say that particular day you go again someone is off their game and you get a major complication. Not to mention how wierd it will feel. I guess I say from my perspective of wanting to hide from my family. If I came home like that they would know that I did some fked up crap but I see that your parents are supportive so that's good.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

That's an interesting idea Chris...but do you think it would be embarassing walking around at your Uni with a 5 cm shoe inlay on only one leg? Cheers.

onemorefoot

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

Chris, do you know if is recommended to use LON+ Unilateral device for someone who is overweighted??? I think the unilateral device alone is not good idea for someone like me, but plus a nail it could keep the bone straight.

BiggestProblem

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »

You are gonna do this in like a couple of years if at all. You can lose the weight before then you little chubster.
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm

Finishing school before doing surgery. Most likely to just do tibias to become at least 170cm.

onemorefoot

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »

Will try

Chris

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 06:25:27 AM »

Hey guys  :)
Sorry for not replying. I was quite busy, because I had my first LL surgery with Dr. Deepak and his team on last Thuesday.
Things weren't going as smooth for me as I was hoping for, but I'm feeling quite better now, and so I will continue my diary.
Gonna write some text today or tomorrow and will upload some pictures.
I'll be leaving the hospital on Monday morning.
Please don't ask me to forward any questions to Dr. Deepak as he went on leave today and I won't see him again until I will have returned to New Delhi for frames removal.
Also, for some unknown reason I'm currently not having spell check turned on on this notebook, so please excuse any future errors.

You should check the time zones and use a paycard to India to call them. I would advice against the unilateral lengthening. You run more risk every time you go under the knife so that's increasing your chances even if it reduces complications after. Say that particular day you go again someone is off their game and you get a major complication. Not to mention how wierd it will feel. I guess I say from my perspective of wanting to hide from my family. If I came home like that they would know that I did some fked up crap but I see that your parents are supportive so that's good.

They got my emails and were expecting to see me on Monday. I got my appointment quite late on Saturday, but I would have gone to Dr. Deeplak's OPD hours regardless.

That's an interesting idea Chris...but do you think it would be embarassing walking around at your Uni with a 5 cm shoe inlay on only one leg? Cheers.

Nope, but I'm quite open about doing LL and most people arround me already know about my plans. Dr. Deepak convinced me to go for bilateral btw, so I didn't do unilateral in the end.

Chris, do you know if is recommended to use LON+ Unilateral device for someone who is overweighted??? I think the unilateral device alone is not good idea for someone like me, but plus a nail it could keep the bone straight.

I think that unilateral could be better for overweighted persons. But it always debends on the fixateur and the nail beeing used in the end. Some nails are made of ~5-6% titanium alloy, maybe you will have to order special ones. The diamenter of the nail is also important ofcourse, but I only got one with 8.x mm (kinda the thinnest ) but still they are supposed to be fully weight-bearing and I'm approx. 60kg.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:19:12 AM by Chris »
I'm a real LL-patient.

TrueSpartan

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »

Hey Chris,

Its good to hear that they finally operated on you. Your journey begins now.  :D

Looking forward to your updates.

TS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up