Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: misalignment - is it too late??? [ilizarov tibia]  (Read 3543 times)

legwarmers

• Visitor
misalignment - is it too late??? [ilizarov tibia]
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:52:52 PM »

Hi guys,

for those of you who had some issues with misalignment - how long after the consolidation has already started is it still possible to make some corrections?
I stopped lengthening a month ago but the tibia doesn't look right, is there still some chance? I'm seeing my doctor in 2 weeks time...

Thanks.

Whereintheworld?

Re: misalignment - is it too late??? [ilizarov tibia]
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »

They should be able to, I stopped lengthening in early October and had an adjustment made a month later.

legwarmers

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »

Thanks, I really, really hope he'll be able to work some magic, although to be honest I'm not very optimistic...will see in 2 weeks.

fujitora

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »

It should still be possible. I had to make minor alignment corrections on my left leg 1 month after consolidation.

One suggestion I would give to you is to lengthen 5 mm, starting today, in the next few days. This way, when you see your doctor in couple of weeks, there would be lesser chance of bone fusion. You can turn this back after the alignment is corrected.
Pre-Op Height: 160.5 cms
Surgery performed by Dr. Manish Dhawan at Sir Gangaram Hospital on 4th April 2016
Lengthening stopped on 14th Sept 2016
Current height: 165 cms (5 cm)
Frames removed on March 19th 2017 | Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=3499.0

Chris

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »

Sorry to hear that you have misalignment, but good luck with your correction :)

I will be doing LON and I hope the nail eliminates the chance of misalignment completely.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

legwarmers

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »

It sounds like a good idea although I'm just too scared to start with lengthening again without doctor's approval. But it's great to hear that after  one month stop  people are still having some adjustments done.
I'll try to check with my doctor, not sure if I'll get any answer given the season, but fingers crossed.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »

I will be doing LON and I hope the nail eliminates the chance of misalignment completely.

It won't

legwarmers

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »

Thank you. I think the externals are quite good for alignment issues, but this was also a bit of a miscommunication with my doctor I guess, maybe I should have been a bit more "pushy", I don't know  :-\

All the best with your journey ;)

ub40

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »

It should still be possible. I had to make minor alignment corrections on my left leg 1 month after consolidation.

One suggestion I would give to you is to lengthen 5 mm, starting today, in the next few days. This way, when you see your doctor in couple of weeks, there would be lesser chance of bone fusion. You can turn this back after the alignment is corrected.

While your advice might seem sound, his misalignment might be due to muscle resistance and this would aggravate his current issue

You have a few more months to fix any misalignments OP
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

onemorefoot

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »

If you are operated with monorials with a nail, LON+Monorials is the chance of misalignment a lot, or the nail prevents it?
Budget will determine my future.

legwarmers

• Visitor
Re: misalignment - ilizarov tibia, non CLL
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

You have a few more months to fix any misalignments OP

...turns out I don't.

This is my x ray  7weeks after I stopped lengthening http://imgur.com/a/zaaAg. On the x ray it might not seem that bad, but on my leg there is a very visible hump and the protrusion is 1cm over the rest of the leg!

Dr. says it would be a very difficult surgery to correct it now and he would not do that. I'm not even sure I would want another surgery, but his attitude was awful.

Basically my leg looks like a fking camel thanks to his negligence and he was cross that I dared to mention that I wanted my tibia straight just as he'd promised it would be!!!!

Also I'm concerned about possible knee / back / other issues in future. This is so messed up, I really trusted him.

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »

How much did you lengthen?

In what way is it misaligned? Sorry to hear about your troubles.

This tbh is typical of a lot of leg lengthening doctors/hospitals out there once they have your cash and you are through with the operation you then become a hindrance to them and they just want you out the hospital. People need to choose their surgeons and hospitals wisely otherwise you risk problems like this!

dreamonaerosmith

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »

Hey so any news on the ultimate outcome has this made you unhappy overall with your experience or have you been able to find some kind of solution?

EveryCMCounts

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:12:27 PM »

Personally I'm thinking about doing external tibia to avoid misalignment, so this isn't encouraging. Which doctor is this? Do you have a diary? As you say, it does not look too bad on the x-ray, in what way could it affect the mechanics of the leg?

legwarmers

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »

Personally I'm thinking about doing external tibia to avoid misalignment, so this isn't encouraging. Which doctor is this? Do you have a diary? As you say, it does not look too bad on the x-ray, in what way could it affect the mechanics of the leg?

Frames are great, just find a reliable doctor!!! Mine turned out to be a complete dckhead. There was plenty of time to make adjustments [before there was any bone callus], he just didn't. Every time I look at that leg I feel so much anger and regret!

So really, the only advice I have is to choose your doctor wisely.

biggerdreams

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »

Frames are great, just find a reliable doctor!!! Mine turned out to be a complete dckhead. There was plenty of time to make adjustments [before there was any bone callus], he just didn't. Every time I look at that leg I feel so much anger and regret!

So really, the only advice I have is to choose your doctor wisely.

Who was your doctor? Or did I miss that post..?

legwarmers

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »

Who was your doctor? Or did I miss that post..?

There is a zero chance you would end up with this guy. Mine wasn't an elective lengthening, he doesn't do that. However it wasn't acute, I had time to consult doctors and I chose him :/ He is considered a great surgeon in my country so it kinda sucks that he messed it up and his attitude sucks even more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up