Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reasons why I am cautious about Dr. Paley  (Read 5628 times)

Premedlegs1994

reasons why I am cautious about Dr. Paley
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/30268/Dr-Dror-Paley-West+Palm+Beach-FL.html

https://sites.google.com/site/mycrippledleg/home/dr-paley-2-html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-doctor-dror-paley-20160318-story.html

Furthermore, Dr. Paley's site states: "Dr. Paley has only seen fat embolism twice in his career. Both occurred more than 10 years ago before he developed a special venting method to prevent this complication. Fortunately both patients recovered uneventfully"

This is not the truth. How do you expect me to go to a surgeon that isn't even being truthful about this procedure and the risks he has encountered over the years.

This is from a diary from 2014:
Hey everyone,

Sorry for not updating for the past week.  I had a very troubling LL journey so far, and it's been difficult for me to find the motivation to write an update.  Let me jump straight into it.

I had a successful surgery last Thursday, May 29th.  I remember the epidural feeling abnormally painful when being inserted, and I feel convinced that my herniated discs and this could have contributed to the massive problems I ended up having (but none of the doctors will confirm this of course).

On day 2, my caregiver was with me when she noticed my O2 (oxygen) stats started dropping.  First they went down to 91.  Then, they went down to 74.  This happened in a matter of minutes and floor staff quickly rushed into the room and threw a large oxygen mask over my face (50% concentration).  I was rushed down stairs to the CT scan to view my lungs and see why I wasn't breathing.

In the CT scan room, they had to transfer me to a different bed.  The pain, only the day after surgery and my legs were incredibly sore and sensitive, of being transferred to the bed was excruciating.  I screamed and cried out as I was lifted with my legs in the air and dropped onto the other bed.  I was then given an IV into my right arm that would feed Iodine into my system and I was pushed into CT scanner.  I was also given an injection of Benadryll because I have slight sheLL Forumish allergies and apparently their Iodine was sourced by sheLL Forumish.

In the CT scanner, I felt pressure build up and my IV exploded in my arm, blood splattering all over the place.  I screamed out again, and told them what happened.  They said not to worry and finished up the scan.  They pulled me out, muttering that the key was not properly turned when inserting my IV, so human error caused my IV to explode my blood all over my arm, sheets, robe, and bruised my right underarm beyond recognition.

I was transported then to a recovery room where I was heavily monitored by nurses and doctors for 5 hours straight.  The room was too bright, too loud and I couldn't manage any sleep.  I found out here that I had pneumonia, and my right lung was heavily clouded in the CT scan.

At this point, I was grateful to even be alive and I never freaked out.  It didn't once occur to me to tell my family.  I was given treatment plans by doctors and possible causes of my pneumonia.  They immediately ruled out fat embolism and said it was likely aspirations (Dr. Paley emailed me himself to tell me how worried he was and all the options were discussed, but fat embolism was ruled out with their tests).  Finally, I was moved to the ICU lower level.  Keep in mind, this is not the original floor I was placed on.  The floor and rooms for Paley patients, the one I paid for, is a beautifully quiet floor, very large rooms, private, and trained nurses in Orthopedic patients.  I was moved to the ICU, an extremely loud, busy, ugly floor, with tiny rooms and nurses not at all familiar with Paley patients.  There were nurses there for decades who told me I was their first Paley patient.

My stay on this floor was for a long time.  Too many bad things happened for me to care to recount.  One good thing that stands out to me was when Servando told me I would have to pay for my extended stay in the hospital.  This worried me of course, because he didn't know how much it would be and I had no idea how long I would have to stay in this s**t-hole.  I emailed Dr. Paley and expressed that I was worried about the costs.  Dr. Paley immediately emailed me back and told me not to worry about the costs, he would take care of them, and all he wanted was for me to recover.  He gave me a private meeting in my room a few days later, also confirming this while checking up on me.  Then the news was confirmed- I had gotten a fatty emboli in my lungs.  For those unaware, this is when your fat being reamed out of your femoral canals goes into your bloodstream which then travels up to your lungs.

Dr. Paley in this private meeting also confirms to me that I'm only his 2nd patient ever to have a severe case of fat embolism in the past 3 years, and that I'm the worst case he's ever had of it.  What an honor, huh?  We talk for a few more minutes and he leaves.  There's not much left to say in this meeting because my condition is improving and he's already done his job, the rest was up to me to heal.

I've been on breathing oxygen tubes until today, and I'm finally breathing on my own now.  I just finished my IV antibiotics for my lungs today, and will now switch to oral antibiotics.  I still am doing a breathing treatment, where I inhale medicated smoke for up to 7 minutes, about 5-7 times a day.  To do these treatments, I'm woken up for them and have to breathe in and out of the device.  This means I've never had a consistent nightly sleep in my past week here. 

My lengthening started day 3 and I'm currently at 5 mm now.  My physical therapy didn't start until day 5 because of my troubled breathing.  I'm behind in PT as a result, but I'm getting better.  Today I finally managed to use my walker all the way to the toilet and back to my bed, on day 8.  This may sound like nothing, but I didn't leave my bed until 4 days after surgery and this is a huge success for me personally.  (On day 7, taking my first (extremely large) s**t in a bedpan was one of the worst feelings of my life.. getting cleaned up afterwards by another person wasn't pleasant either). 

I also couldn't eat anything until day 5.  I would become nauseous and nothing was appetizing.  I acquired a ravenous appetite by day 6 and had my food portions doubled by talking to the dietitian.  She ordered larger meals for me plus 3x a day of Boost, a delicious chocolate drink, 360 calories each and tons of protein.  She wants me eating a lot more protein plus getting a lot of leafy greens for my recovery.

Things are on the upswing now and looking better.  I can't say I'm not bitter about the experience I've had, but it's in the past and it could have been worse.  I'm by no means bitter about the treatment and reception I've received from the hospital.  I had extremely watchful and good care on the ICU, and the nurses there were lovely.  I've built relationships with some of them that I intend on keeping outside of the hospital.  My caregiver was excellent and visited me on days she wasn't working for me (just to check on my health).  She bought food for me, trying to spur my appetite.  She cared for me like a mother would and affectionately, the mother I needed but didn't otherwise have with me.  The treatment was on point and my immune system was strong which is why I healed much quicker than people with pneumonia usually do.

I have no idea how I managed to keep the pneumonia and my very ill state away from my family (who have been talking to me daily) and from my work partners.   But I did, and it looks like tomorrow I will be discharged.  I'm worried about the discharge because I cannot transfer as well I would have liked to, but getting out of this hospital is my #1 priority.  I had the sunlight touch my face for the first time in 7 days today.  It was a beautiful feeling.

If you were to takeaway one thing from my post, it should be this: bad things can always go wrong with this surgery.  With Western doctors, the most experienced doctors, with excellent physical shape, great health, being young, paying lots of money.  It can always go wrong.  Prepare yourself for this, and always have someone with you in the beginning of your LL.

--

I will resume daily updates when I return to the Homewood Suites.  Signing out.

Last but not least, " Dr. Paley, was dismissed from his hospital that he was practicing in while in Maryland. He was fee splitting money from the representive who was supplying the frames he uses at the hospital. Plus, the representive was his girlfriend. Needless to say, he was dismissed from the hospital he was at."

All in all, I got the sense that Dr Paley cares a lot more about making money and his business than patient health.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:44:41 AM by Premedlegs1994 »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Reasons why I believe Dr. Guichet is a better option than Dr. Paley
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

Would depend on goals and such. There are a number of doctors I would go to for tibia lengthening before Dr Guichet since I don't know of one tibia patient of his and he seems to always give one reason or another as to why a patient of his can't/shouldn't lengthen tibias.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Premedlegs1994

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »

Would depend on goals and such. There are a number of doctors I would go to for tibia lengthening before Dr Guichet since I don't know of one tibia patient of his and he seems to always give one reason or another as to why a patient of his can't/shouldn't lengthen tibias.

hey I read your diary and experience with Dr. Parihar.
Do you remember questioning him about fat embolism and his view on it and how he manages/treats it if it does occur.

Premedlegs1994

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »

hey I read your diary and experience with Dr. Parihar.
Do you remember questioning him about fat embolism and his view on it and how he manages/treats it if it does occur.

Also congrats on your successful ll!

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »

I've read stories that Paley can come across as a little cold, unconcerned, and distant. And the anecdote you shared, honestly just made me want to pick him more. The fact that he handled the embolism so well and that the patient recovered is a sign that he can keep things under control.

Is the dude trying to make money? Yes, of course, and I don't expect him to be my daddy. I don't even expect to have a personal relationship with him. He has an entire institute overseeing the process of limb lengthening.

But by this very token, I do know that his quality and his service are great. You do not get to his status by being careless. He is in the business to make money and to provide good service. You get what you pay for.

Imagine that fat embolism had happened in a facility that wasn't so well prepared? In a random surgeon in India or Ukraine's office who was doing LL for the first time? Do you think they would've been able to address the issue as efficiently, do you think the resources and staff they would have on hand would be educated and familiar with the issue to treat you properly?

Guichet is much cheaper but he only does femurs. He does seem to be more personal and concerned with recovery from what I read. But the diaries I've seen from Paley have so far seemed more reliable and professional than what I've seen overall with Guichet.

Remember, you're not just getting the doctor alone. You're paying for the staff, the hospital, the nurse treatment, etc.. The doctor himself is just a small piece in a big puzzle to getting LL.

I feel like with all that considered, ignoring price, tthere's no better place than the Paley Institute to get LL. They are the most advanced and the most prepared for LL, and have even innovated in the field many times.

CaptainAmerica

Re: reasons why I am cautious about Dr. Paley
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »

Also, I can't take that lady's blog seriously. She sounds like an absolute loon. I mean just read that first email reply. Wtf is that? Who talks to their doctor that way, and for what reason? From her writing, it seems like she has some form of psychosis or schizophrenia, seriously.

Paley (or his staff) responded to the incident somewhere and someone posted the response on here. He cleared up the situation and the woman was indeed just a loon who wasn't doing something properly. You'll have to dig deep to find it or I would just call the institute yourself and ask.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »

Guichet is much cheaper but he only does femurs. He does seem to be more personal and concerned with recovery from what I read. But the diaries I've seen from Paley have so far seemed more reliable and professional than what I've seen overall with Guichet.

Guichet much cheaper lmao.

The Kaiser

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/30268/Dr-Dror-Paley-West+Palm+Beach-FL.html

https://sites.google.com/site/mycrippledleg/home/dr-paley-2-html

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-doctor-dror-paley-20160318-story.html

Furthermore, Dr. Paley's site states: "Dr. Paley has only seen fat embolism twice in his career. Both occurred more than 10 years ago before he developed a special venting method to prevent this complication. Fortunately both patients recovered uneventfully"

This is not the truth. How do you expect me to go to a surgeon that isn't even being truthful about this procedure and the risks he has encountered over the years.

This is from a diary from 2014:

Last but not least, " Dr. Paley, was dismissed from his hospital that he was practicing in while in Maryland. He was fee splitting money from the representive who was supplying the frames he uses at the hospital. Plus, the representive was his girlfriend. Needless to say, he was dismissed from the hospital he was at."

All in all, I got the sense that Dr Paley cares a lot more about making money and his business than patient health.

jbc

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »

Lots of stuff about Dr. Paley, some of it nonsense

Aren't you the same guy who posted this EXACT stuff on the "is LL irrational" thread? Be a man and use the same forum handle.

Your arguments are non-sequitur. Call or email Dr. Paley and or Dr. Packer if you have concerns. Ask them directly and honestly. Here's a script for you to follow:

"Hi Dr. Paley, I read on ratemydocs that.... can you elaborate?"

That's what someone who was considering spending over 100k to have their legs voluntarily broken would do. Incidentally, that's what I did. Not start a thread on a forum saying you're concerned and wait for.... what, exactly?

As I said before, troll elsewhere please

Premedlegs1994

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 03:37:45 AM »

Aren't you the same guy who posted this EXACT stuff on the "is LL irrational" thread? Be a man and use the same forum handle.

Your arguments are non-sequitur. Call or email Dr. Paley and or Dr. Packer if you have concerns. Ask them directly and honestly. Here's a script for you to follow:

"Hi Dr. Paley, I read on ratemydocs that.... can you elaborate?"

That's what someone who was considering spending over 100k to have their legs voluntarily broken would do. Incidentally, that's what I did. Not start a thread on a forum saying you're concerned and wait for.... what, exactly?

As I said before, troll elsewhere please

not trolling and I don't take you seriously.
I have gotten messages from people on here to show them what i have found on paley
and i just posted to let everyone know.

And no, I don't care whatever you have to say. You have your own opinion so you can stick with it

The Kaiser

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 03:53:54 AM »

I have gotten messages from people on here to show them what i have found on paley

And no, I don't care whatever you have to say. You have your own opinion so you can stick with it

The title should be "reasons why I am cautious about Dr. Paley, because i can't afford him"

This topic showed how Paley react to fat embolism and solved the problem, its rare but if they didn't treat it well the patient would die. Paley solved it, so whats his mistake?!  I said before and will say it now, Paley have the best and fastest reaction before complications occurred.

About his dismissed from that hospital, we don't care, what we care is his experience and knowledge of LL which no one can deny.

This is his mail: drorpaley@gmail.com

He's quick response, ask him what you want to know about surgery, not his dismissed and wasting time stuff.

Premedlegs1994

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 04:07:45 AM »

The title should be "reasons why I am cautious about Dr. Paley, because i can't afford him"

This topic showed how Paley react to fat embolism and solved the problem, its rare but if they didn't treat it well the patient would die. Paley solved it, so whats his mistake?!  I said before and will say it now, Paley have the best and fastest reaction before complications occurred.

About his dismissed from that hospital, we don't care, what we care is his experience and knowledge of LL which no one can deny.

This is his mail: drorpaley@gmail.com

He's quick response, ask him what you want to know about surgery, not his dismissed and wasting time stuff.

why does it say that he hasnt had a fat embolism case in the last 10 years?
false advertising?

jbc

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 05:43:56 AM »

Awesome. My opinion is that you're a troll, and a really bad one at that. You post the exact same stuff on two different threads with 2 different aliases. In this thread, you first pretend to be some kind of patient who is dubious about Dr. Paley, and later you admit to trolling. Stupidly humorous.

Thanks for informing the world that a guy who owns a hospital in Florida cares about money. SHOCKING. Thanks for telling us he made mistakes. Show me a top Dr. who hasn't. Thanks for telling everyone about the girlfriend thing. I could care less, and really, until you have a hospital administrator that will speak on record, it's conjecture.

Dr. Paley's still the undisputed top surgeon in this field who trained many of the Dr.'s on this forum, developed and pioneered many of the CLL and limb reconstruction procedures in use today, as well as the best nail on the market, and many want him as a Dr., myself included. If I had to guess, you either can't afford him, are a paid shill for those LA Dr.'s with the disgusting billboards, or just mentally unstable. Or possibly a combination of the three. Or all three. Irrelevant, really. Until Paley does something catastrophic, which seems unlikely, since his record is better than virtually everyone else's, people will continue to go to him. I have my surgery date booked and aside from Dr. Birkholtz, I wouldn't trust anyone else with this.

The Kaiser

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 11:16:48 PM »

false advertising?
Well every doctor lie at some point "a lie that not make you at risk", bu he said its rare which is true "that's the point". Also he said if its occurred he can fix it fast, which he did and improved his words, fat embolism is no joke.

Secondly for making sure could you give me the link he said i didn't had fat embolism case on the last ten years?

Premedlegs1994

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 05:37:40 AM »

Well every doctor lie at some point "a lie that not make you at risk", bu he said its rare which is true "that's the point". Also he said if its occurred he can fix it fast, which he did and improved his words, fat embolism is no joke.

Secondly for making sure could you give me the link he said i didn't had fat embolism case on the last ten years?

http://www.paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening-center/stature-lengthening-complications

Alu

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »

To this guy's point I remember one of the (former?) mods who went through LL unfortunately having a Fat embolism about 2-3 years ago. However, to Paley's credit, he was able to handle it and the guy ended up satisfied overall. Sucks that it happens, but I do feel Paley is well prepared to handle them.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Dr. Paley and fat embolism
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »

false advertising?

Where did Paley say that?

In this Jan 2018 talk, Dr. Paley said he's had a few cases of fat embolism, all of them in bilateral femur cases, and none during surgery; rather, in the first 24 hours post-op. At 38:57 in the video, he says, "I've had a total of 4 of them, in about 100 cases"
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

The Dreamer

Re: Dr. Paley and fat embolism
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »

Where did Paley say that?

In this Jan 2018 talk, Dr. Paley said he's had a few cases of fat embolism, all of them in bilateral femur cases, and none during surgery; rather, in the first 24 hours post-op. At 38:57 in the video, he says, "I've had a total of 4 of them, in about 100 cases"
Override,I have sent you a PM,check it out when you have free time
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you
Pages: [1]   Go Up