Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hybrid External Fixator (HEF) or Lengthening over Nail (LON) for tibia 5cm  (Read 1198 times)

TheLichKing

So it appears HEF has it's advantages over the pure external i.e. a bit more comfort and maybe a little faster, less recovery time? Are the risks of permanent knee pain from LON not worth it over the external/HEF or do the advantages from LON outweigh it and is a better option in terms of pain and recovery (and also sleep since it's almost impossible to sleep well with the frames on - also have to sleep on the back and not all people can do that).

Why it concerns me because I heard the risks of knee pain from LON are really not that high as people think they are - it's just a misconception?
External frames, as a general consensus, are the most mentally as well as physically challenging method of LL a person can undergo.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

Bigpoppapump

Tibia nailing has a 5-10% chance of causing knee pain it's nothing like 70% like the reports say. Still 5-10% is still a gamble.

Yes as well to those other concerns external fixators are high in the pain and discomfort stakes. I agree as well do not do external fixators if you cannot sleep on your back as you will have months on end of insomnia. Pin sites are painful a lot of the time as well and walking on fixators is painful also. Not many people could or can tolerate external fixators both mentally and physically
Pages: [1]   Go Up