Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will CLL ever be socially acceptable?  (Read 3247 times)

CaptainAmerica

Will CLL ever be socially acceptable?
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:41:41 PM »

It seems like in the past 3-4 years it's become very socially acceptable to be trans, and re-assignment surgeries (top, bottom, and hormonal therapy) are looked at as something safe and normal.

So then I wonder, would CLL ever become socially acceptable? I mean, okay, I am not trans wanting to become girl to boy. But I have the height of a 14 year old boy, and people treat me like it, so can I be transagenal?

I mean I feel like I am in the "wrong" body. That's my main motivating factor for wanting to do LL. I look in the mirror and I see the body of a 14 year old kid. How is that any different than a trans person?

IwannaBeTaller

Re: Will CLL ever be socially acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »

Well, that's a somewhat broad question. I think that among many people, sex surgeries are not socially accepted. Sure, most media outlets that are at least politically moderate will not criticize it, and there is a somewhat strong stigma of political correctness that keeps many people from criticizing the procedure. Sex reassignment is a very popular topic and many people have gotten the chance to think about it and come to the conclusion that it can be helpul for people who are indeed the wrong biological sex. But go into a rural region like the southern US and it will probably be a lot less accepted.

The difference with LL is that it's not nearly as much in the public lamplight as sex reassignment. There is no public discourse on it. Most people don't know much about it and many have never heard of it. Then there are the popular news stories of Chinese women doing it because they find long legs aesthetically pleasing, and many people go "WTF, this is very extreme and long legs are not that important". But acceptance is an individual thing. I believe that if you are a reasonably short man doing LL, and explain to people your story and your struggle with height, and your honest reasons, many normal people will understand, and relate. And a lot of them would accept your decision.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »

I believe that if you are a reasonably short man doing LL, and explain to people your story and your struggle with height, and your honest reasons, many normal people will understand, and relate. And a lot of them would accept your decision.
I agree with everything else you said, but this is wrong. As someone who has done LL, I can tell you that almost NOBODY will understand and relate, no matter how convincing you try to be. The only people who could relate were other short guys. Don't ever tell anyone about this surgery. You've been warned. Almost every LL veteran will tell you the same. Normal people will think that you are either crazy or have low self-esteem. They will look at you negatively for even thinking about doing the surgery.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »

I agree with everything else you said, but this is wrong. As someone who has done LL, I can tell you that almost NOBODY will understand and relate, no matter how convincing you try to be. The only people who could relate were other short guys. Don't ever tell anyone about this surgery. You've been warned. Almost every LL veteran will tell you the same. Normal people will think that you are either crazy or have low self-esteem. They will look at you negatively for even thinking about doing the surgery.

This is my fear, lol. Thanks man, dropping another valuable article of truth on here. Gonna have to like hack my medical records or something to make sure no one ever finds out about this lmao.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:15:45 AM »

Ye gotta agree with that. My family will basically think that i'm completely insane to even think about this surgery.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 10:53:46 AM »

Woman are alot of accepting than guys on the subject to be honest. At first they are like wtf. After, when you ask them what will they think of a taller version of you, they will say "yeah you are right". I think it has to do with the fact that women do see height as an attractive trait while men don't
I learned some stuff during this time

TheLichKing

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »

When I told my parents about my intentions on getting the surgery after they already knew how upset I was about my height; my mom was utterly shocked on how terrifying the surgery looked and told me that she largely underestimated my desire to be taller and till this day keeps telling me that I have a decent height by reminding me that I'm tall on paternal side of my family (relatives are short on fathers side). I told her it's true but that doesn't change the fact I'm still considered short by society standards and my maternal uncles and cousins are almost all taller. She just tells me that she hopes I fully know what I'll be into for and as long as it would make me happy and be for the better in life.

My dad straight up said he wouldn't let me do the surgery as long as he's alive...lmao, and he's a doctor. But hey, once I'm done graduated and fully independent financially, who's there to stop me? Once I started to tell him about the advancement made by precise and the doctors reliability/ reputation (showed him some info on Dr.Paley), he became little less skeptical. Well my dad is really short himself and had height dysphoria when he was young, so yea he can understand my pain.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

DoingItForMe

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »

Woman are alot of accepting than guys on the subject to be honest. At first they are like wtf. After, when you ask them what will they think of a taller version of you, they will say "yeah you are right". I think it has to do with the fact that women do see height as an attractive trait while men don't
Did you tell them about the excoriating pain you have to endure, the tens of thousands of dollars you have to spend, the potential complications, and the half year you have to spend being disabled? I don't think it's being taller that's unacceptable, because girls wear heels. It's the surgery itself and the costs associated with it that will make people think that you're crazy for doing it.
Link to my experience

TIBIKE200

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »

Yeah, I told them.
I learned some stuff during this time

KrP1

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

Did you tell them about the excoriating pain you have to endure, the tens of thousands of dollars you have to spend, the potential complications, and the half year you have to spend being disabled? I don't think it's being taller that's unacceptable, because girls wear heels. It's the surgery itself and the costs associated with it that will make people think that you're crazy for doing it.

Excoriating pain? With internals? I think that this Is your first surgery. I have been in much more pain with other things than with LL. For what someones says It look like you are going to live a nightmare of Pain. And in my experience It was Big discomfort. With some pain the first weeks. Something very manegeable with a little of medication.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »

it seems like there are always procedures that some will accept and some won't, there will always be racists,homophobic,transphobic, whatever-phobic people in the world. thats something u cant change. like i casually mentioned LL to my mom and i was tooken aback on how educated she was about it, she was like "yea, you can break your legs and become taller" and im just like  :o how does she know this lol so i thought most people would be accepting towards CLL until i got here and read about you guys hiding the procedure from family/friends. it is what it is. the only person i came across that wasnt accepting of it was my good friend but even then he said its my life. and it truly is. it's our life. its not what'll make them happy its what'll make us happy and at the end of the day its not their legs its ours

DoingItForMe

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:03:18 PM »

Excoriating pain? With internals? I think that this Is your first surgery. I have been in much more pain with other things than with LL. For what someones says It look like you are going to live a nightmare of Pain. And in my experience It was Big discomfort. With some pain the first weeks. Something very manegeable with a little of medication.
I've noticed that different patients experience different levels of pain. Mostly the younger ones didn't feel any pain at all. But a lot of the older ones who aren't as flexible anymore, felt a lot of pain. So it sounds like you're one of the luckier ones who didn't experience the pain.
Link to my experience

Bander72

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »

I've noticed that different patients experience different levels of pain. Mostly the younger ones didn't feel any pain at all. But a lot of the older ones who aren't as flexible anymore, felt a lot of pain. So it sounds like you're one of the luckier ones who didn't experience the pain.

I think the lengthen amount is important as well. Doing 5 cm might not seem worth it financially but it might be a whole lot easier to recover from.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

DoingItForMe

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 01:37:44 AM »

I think the lengthen amount is important as well. Doing 5 cm might not seem worth it financially but it might be a whole lot easier to recover from.
No, most of the pain happened in the first 2 weeks. Does it doesn't matter if you only did 5 cm. There's still a chance you're going to go through a lot of pain.
Link to my experience

Bander72

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »

No, most of the pain happened in the first 2 weeks. Does it doesn't matter if you only did 5 cm. There's still a chance you're going to go through a lot of pain.

I mean that overall recovery process will be quicker so less painful.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account
Pages: [1]   Go Up