Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how safe is 5 cm ?  (Read 2589 times)

jojo

how safe is 5 cm ?
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »

do anyone know how safe 5 cm internal femur is with a real pro dr.
like what is the % of people having a almost 100 % Recovery so far we know?
i guss not all the people that are 100 % happy go in here writing about it

thanks

The Kaiser

Re: how safe is 5 cm ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »

thanks

There is nothing called safe in LL, its safer than 7 cm but that's doesn't mean its safe surgery, Good luck

jojo

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »

comeon... i just asked how safe. i know its not safe like a bird-in-its-nest-safe. i just wonder where to get some kind of trustworthy info on how many people have good results with a little bit...

TIBIKE200

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

There is a doc who answered all these questions... Maybe ask there no?
I learned some stuff during this time

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:20 PM »

It's completely dependent on the patient and the procedure. Someone who undergoes 5CM of lengthening may encounter far more complications than someone lengthening 7.5CM due to flexibility, initial leg length, age, doctor, PT, physical condition etc. etc. It's impossible to say with any real certainty but generally speaking, I'd be comfortable with the risk/reward ratio of up to 5.5CM of femoral lengthening as complications seem to become more frequent after that amount and virtually no diaries of that length have major issues compared to those who have lengthened further. It shouldn't need to be said but 7.5CM with a good doctor is safer than 4CM with a bad doctor - that being said it's usually the bad doctors who lengthen the most.

None. There is no such thing as 100% recovery. There is recovering to a point that you can participate in physical activities possibly as well as you did prior or possibly to a point you may never feel any different as '100%' varies between what people are happy with but your upper potential will be permanently reduced. Logically you can never be '100%' again but I suspect it is possible to get to a point through consistent PT and conservative lengthening where you can reach a place you will be happy with. Oddly enough, the best recoveries I have seen have lengthened 6 & 7.5CM respectively - though these are the exception, heck, a relatively complication free recovery is rare. I'd still recommend a smaller amount and any further appears to be consistently filled with complications.

Unfortunately, most who undergo the procedure seem to never return. Perhaps they just want to put it behind them or not discuss the results. Who knows, but it would be beneficial to hear how those who have undergone the procedure are faring months and years after.

thanks

You're welcome.

jojo

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »

what about a man like shyshy ?
what would you call that ? maybe he would say 110%

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »

what about a man like shyshy ?
what would you call that ? maybe he would say 110%

If you read my post in its entirety and understood it correctly, ShyShy's recovery doesn't refute anything I have written in that post and in fact can serve as evidence that it's possible to return to a satisfactory physical level post limb lengthening. As I said;

There is no such thing as 100% recovery. There is recovering to a point that you can participate in physical activities possibly as well as you did prior or possibly to a point you may never feel any different as '100%' varies between what people are happy with but your upper potential will be permanently reduced. Logically you can never be '100%' again but I suspect it is possible to get to a point through consistent PT and conservative lengthening where you can reach a place you will be happy with.

And I stand by this statement.

On a side note, it's funny you mentioned him. When I spoke about the successful cases I meant him and OldieButGoldie and I am assuming you saw his diary as I bumped it recently for others to see - as I said, it's clearly possible to get to a very satisfactory level of athleticism as I had mentioned.

jojo

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »

yes i agree :))
and on a sidenote

i think it might be a positiv ting even tough not MORE people write about there great outcome
i think the humen maybe is more prown to forget thigs that went ''good''
more people with bad cases i would belive is more likely to seek a forum..

just a thought..

crimsontide

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »

7.5 cm external is not safer than 4 cm... no matter who the Dr is. Unless the Dr  cuts nerves and paralyzes the leg, 7.5cm is much more risky than 4 cm

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:58:48 PM »

The more you lengthen the more you increase the risks it's a simple formula

Individual variations in flexibility and soft tissue adaption will also determine how well you recover. I spoke to a guy who did 5.5cms and it took him 2 years to learn to walk properly.

As for questions along the lines of 'will I be able to run or squat' after it I'd like to ask these people how much they actually ran and squatted before hand. If you can't squat 225 before you did the procedure what makes you think you will do it afterwards when you couldn't even do it before hand. Recovery will vary from person to person

No one should be answering this or any other leg lengthening questions for that matter unless they have actually done it and that disqualifies about 90% of the people who frequent this board

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:38:27 PM »

7.5 cm external is not safer than 4 cm... no matter who the Dr is. Unless the Dr  cuts nerves and paralyzes the leg, 7.5cm is much more risky than 4 cm

I was simply trying to advise that a good doctor can make the difference between a good recovery and lifelong disability and in no way suggesting that 7.5CM is safe, I thought it was patently obvious that I believe anything over 5.5CM is high risk and not worth it because I said exactly that.

If given a choice between a doctor like Dror Paley or Rozbruch in lengthening 7.5CM using state of the art of orthopedics, can deal with complications such as misalignment, infection and the rest, fantastic PT, reasonable lengthening time etc. where the other option would be an infamous Indian doctor lengthening 4CM - I would personally choose the former - you may feel different. 

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »

I completely agree BigPoppaPump, it's so individual to the patient that it's difficult to say what the result will be. All we can say is that the shorter the bone lengthening, the less complications - it's then deciding on the trade off between risk/reward.
Pages: [1]   Go Up