Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are modern nails (Precise and Fitbone) not weight beairing?  (Read 1524 times)

helloworld

When I did my research on internal nails, the Guichet nail stood out, because it was said to be weight bearing, which for me was really important (I ended up choosing Dr. Monegal and Fitbone, though).
In this forum I have seen over and over again the fact of the Guichet nail being weightbearing, the single most important reason people are considering Dr. Guichet.
So my question is, why the modern nails like Fitbone and Precise that were developed by talented engineering teams well after the Guichet nail, are not also able to be weight bearing?
Especially, I am wondering, why screws are made out of steel, while that means they might bent with a weight of more than 30 kg per leg,  if it seems easily possible to make them out of Titanium, so they do not bent!?
Of course, Titanium is more expensive, but patients willing to pay 25,000 USD for a pair of nails would easily pay a few hundred bugs more in order to have the nail be weight bearing, don't you think?
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
surgery Nov/Dec 2016, stopped lengthening April 2017
Dr. Monegal patient

notimportant

Re: Why are modern nails (Precise and Fitbone) not weight beairing?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »

I don't know. I would advise you to ask them but they're so impolite that they won't thank even if you suggesting good ideas.
With fitbone be very careful with weightbearing. Some guys broke their nails and screws for too early weightbearing and had extra surgeries
Banned: Multiple Accounts (Datum)

cole slaws

• 5'4 to 5'9; ex girl.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »

From my not so good research I think the precice 2 was made to be smaller to accomadate people suffering from dwarfism and children. This made the nail thinner (8mm) and it could not be made weightbearing. My bones I much to thin for the standard nail so I have to use precice 2's petite nail. :-\
Apollo Justice is my spirit animal.

helloworld

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »

From my not so good research I think the precice 2 was made to be smaller to accomadate people suffering from dwarfism and children. This made the nail thinner (8mm) and it could not be made weightbearing. My bones I much to thin for the standard nail so I have to use precice 2's petite nail. :-\
True! I heared that Guichet nail is much bigger, which of course can lead to more complications like we see in case of Unicorn.
I also found this why Titanium screws might not be a good idea:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/26966974/
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
surgery Nov/Dec 2016, stopped lengthening April 2017
Dr. Monegal patient
Pages: [1]   Go Up