Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Height neurosis", "height dysphoria" just another form of BDD?  (Read 4978 times)

Jack1066

BDD is Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It's one of the more common forms of body image disorder. About 2.6% of Americans suffer from it apparently. It means you zone in on one aspect of your appearance and become extremely neurotic about it.

I'm getting evaluated for this by my psychiatrist.

For the record, if you don't want to go out of the house because of your height, (as I've read on this forum before) or similar things, that's a psychological issue.

The term "height dysphoria", incidentally, makes me cringe a bit too. It's like saying "my personality was born to be 6 ft but I was born in the body of someone 5'7".

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: "Height neurosis", "height dysphoria" just another form of BDD?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:05:05 PM »

BDD is Body Dysmorphic Disorder. It's one of the more common forms of body image disorder. About 2.6% of Americans suffer from it apparently. It means you zone in on one aspect of your appearance and become neurotic about it.

I'm getting evaluated for this by my psychiatrist.

For the record, guys, if you don't want to go out of the house because of your height, (as I've read on this forum before) or similar things, that's a psychological issue.

The term "height dysphoria", incidentally, makes me cringe a bit too. It's like saying "my personality was born to be 6 ft but I was born in the body of someone 5'7".

Every time I read someone post something along the lines of "I feel like a tall man in a short man's body" I cringe.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

TIBIKE200

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

Every time I read someone post something along the lines of "I feel like a tall man in a short man's body" I cringe.

Cause it's the most narcissist and stupid thing someone can think
I learned some stuff during this time

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »

How your personality can be 6ft? Like honestly.

My personality was born as a billionaire but i was born with a poor parents and thin wallet.

Just ehh....

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:47 PM »

No more fkn daft than people who think they are the wrong gender or any other dysmorphic condition for that matter

generally people who have BDD are imagining or exaggerating their 'flaws' in their head and are convinced people are discriminating against them because of it/them. I don't consider a person who is short to be suffering with BDD if they are genuinely short which can be easily proven by measuring them, those people are likely suffering because they are fully aware how society treats people of taller stature better and those who are shorter worse. It's not a 'dysphoria' when it's actually a real thing. Let's put it this way no one looks at a man and says 'you know something that guy should really be a girl' but plenty of people out there would treat a guy of short stature better if he was taller, it's just a sad fact of life.

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »

No more fkn daft than people who think they are the wrong gender or any other dysmorphic condition for that matter

generally people who have BDD are imagining or exaggerating their 'flaws' in their head and are convinced people are discriminating against them because of it/them. I don't consider a person who is short to be suffering with BDD if they are genuinely short which can be easily proven by measuring them, those people are likely suffering because they are fully aware how society treats people of taller stature better and those who are shorter worse. It's not a 'dysphoria' when it's actually a real thing. Let's put it this way no one looks at a man and says 'you know something that guy should really be a girl' but plenty of people out there would treat a guy of short stature better if he was taller, it's just a sad fact of life.
Very well said.

Short people most of the times don't have bdd. It is the way that the majority of people treat a short person (especially a man) compared to a tall one that makes short people dislike their height.
Bdd has maybe a 5.10 guy who wants to be taller, not a 5.5 guy who everyday sees how less chances he has in life due to his height.

So, clever and with high self esteem short people know that height is very important and they won't accept their fate as second division persons due to that.
Thanks to god we have LL and everything could be change so the brave ones can really take their fate on their hands, do this surgery and live their lifes without any social drawback.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »

Gender dysphoria is a real thing. It's not just some silly, shallow thought that people make up to feel more self-pity.

About feeling that your person doesn't align with your gender, I'm not so sure if it's a silly thing to say. Sure, you should be an adult person and remember that you have the very height you have, and no other height, and learn to settle with it. But it's not exactly comparable to how much money you have, since your body is something very intrinsic, something very directly linked to you as a person. Money is an accessory.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Jack1066

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »

Obviously I am not insulting anyone. Don't get your panties in a twist. If I was to insult LLers I'd probably be insulting myself.

The idea of height dysphoria is, however, ridiculous to me.

I think it's a bit silly to compare it to gender dysphoria. Being locked in a body that literally cannot express your entire sxxual and gender identity is very different to wishing you were a few inches taller. That's another reason I find the idea of height dysphoria cringeworthy. Imagine you woke up in a woman's body tomorrow. Would you be feeling more pissed at your height or the fact you had a pussy and all the wrong hormones? Or maybe you'd be happy that your height would finally be socially acceptable and go out and bang some tall guys. I guess that's really "height dysphoria". :-)

Obviously it's all relative to some degree. A 5'5" guy will have a much harder time than me and I don't presume to judge.

I just think it's a bit of a silly term. Your height simply does not (cannot) define your identity in the way that people are claiming it does. Maybe if you're legitimately have dwarfism it comes close.

I presume that the reality is that most or perhaps all of us have body image issues that we want to fix. Maybe we just feel like we can get more from life if we're taller. That is probably an expression of body image issues, though. But I won't judge. After all, I am pretty set on undergoing the surgery. But to use the term "height dysphoria" to describe that is like saying that height confers some kind of deep and meaningful identity on you. It cheapens the word imo.

And for the record, maybe I'd also say that the term "height dysphoria" should only be meaningfully used for a short trans man undergoing LL. Maybe then I won't cringe at it too hard, depending on context.

There's a difference between so-called "dysphoria" and wanting to be taller.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »

I think it's a bit silly to compare it to gender dysphoria. Being locked in a body that literally cannot express your entire sxxual and gender identity is very different to wishing you were a few inches taller.

Oh I agree. You're still a man if you're a short guy - and most people will correctly perceive you as a man, despite some idiots on some Bodybuilding forum who say you are "only a manlet". It's not as extreme a problem as being in the wrong gender.

Still, too many men suffer because of their height, especially if they are on average shorter than women, which is why mankind needs to develop a solution for these mens' problems. Either valuing men of shorter stature more or developing a (better) technology to gain height.

Jack1066

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »

Yeah, I agree. I personally think it's mostly a social issue.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »

Not gender dysphoria but being short has always emasculated me as a man. Whenever i go to highly populated places like malls the only people i see are my height or close to it are females and in my gym im the shortest person there even a female there had 2 inches on me. I remember snooping around in bodybuilding.com forum and got traumatized. There was a dude there conplaining about being 5'9 and he made a thread something along the lines of: "is 5'9 okay?" And then a user replied "yes, for a girl"
Then i come here and everyone has starting heights of 5'6,5'7,5'8 while im over here going to need two segments of LL just to be that height that they hate so much. Fml.

google42

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Not gender dysphoria but being short has always emasculated me as a man. Whenever i go to highly populated places like malls the only people i see are my height or close to it are females and in my gym im the shortest person there even a female there had 2 inches on me. I remember snooping around in bodybuilding.com forum and got traumatized. There was a dude there conplaining about being 5'9 and he made a thread something along the lines of: "is 5'9 okay?" And then a user replied "yes, for a girl"
Then i come here and everyone has starting heights of 5'6,5'7,5'8 while im over here going to need two segments of LL just to be that height that they hate so much. Fml.

Don't go to body building forums for anything, it will
Ruin your self esteem no matter how good
You feel about yourself.

Bander72

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 03:13:27 PM »

Those guys on the misc are more insecure about height than us.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

YungGud

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 04:56:49 PM »

try do not take it too close ,because most of those guys just kidding  such a silly way
im at my height can tell that at least 50 % of random people  shorter than me and other 50 % my height or taller
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »

Those guys on the misc are more insecure about height than us.

I think so too because at a height like 5'8 or 5'9 you shouldn't be insecure about it at that point its more than height neurosis. It's by no means a hunk height and everyone physique looks more aesthetic at 5'11-6'1 but atleast you tower over most females.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Perspective is key, what other people want and how they are happy or unhappy with their height should be irrelevant to you. I know this sounds like a phrase, but try to think about it for a second, the only thing that matters is how you can live with your height, there are literally millions of 5'6, 5'7, 5'8 men who live happy and successful lives, and the morons at bodybuilding.com won't be able to change that. Cheers.

everyone physique looks more aesthetic at 5'11-6'1 but atleast you tower over most females.

Disagree there. I think some short guys just rock their height.  ;)

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »

Height topics at bodybuilding forums are a meme in the most part mostly cuz tons of people were coming with this stupid questions like "is 5'7 okay?"

I've seen tons of topics with a progress of 5'5-5'8 guys and people were very positive there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up