Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: TIBIA LENGTHENING IN MOSCOW WITH DR BAGIROV  (Read 170907 times)

crimsontide

TIBIA LENGTHENING IN MOSCOW WITH DR BAGIROV
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »

Hello board, been planning this a while.  I'm going to Moscow next week to get my tibias lengthened with Dr Bagirov.. The process and communication so far has been excellent with his assistant Anna.  I have some concerns reading wannabe giant's thread, mainly regarding availability of Dr after surgery, but otherwise feel pretty confident. I'm not sure if I'll stay the whole time in Moscow or return home. I wanna do at least 6 cm, so might go home during lengthening. I was also considering Dr Mitkovic.

The reason I chose Bagirov is because Dr Mitkovic just stopped replying. I'm not looking forward to being awake during surgery, but I'm sure it'll be fine. . I chose Moscow over baku for 2 reasons.The assistants in Moscow are significantly better at replying, and their English is far superior. I also received the invitation letter needed for visa within  an hour of speaking with Anna. I was also not charged  for it. The assistants in Baku wanted $300 before sending the invitation.

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know.

Wannabegiant

Re: TIBIA LENGTHENING IN MOSCOW WITH DR BAGIROV
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »

I think it is a good choice, and yeah Anna is really great at communicating, she is fast and considerate. She uses an application to aid her english skills so she is easy to talk to.

Also you really dont have to worry about the surgery being awake. It doesnt hurt at all (exception being inserting the needle in the spine for anesthesia hurt a little bit for me) And the surgery was done very fast.

jerry

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »

All the best  :D   Have you decided on accommodation and how long you'll stay?

crimsontide

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

ty wannabe... btw, how does the Dr. measure you? Standing up???. Jerry, I'll be at the hospital as wannabe was

Cooper

• If it was easy everyone would do it!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

Good luck crimsontide.
Starting Height: 160
Gained Femur: 6.9cm (Dr. Paley)
Right Tibia Goal: 5.5/6CM

HelloThere

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »

Good luck crimson tide! I'm sure everything will go perfectly for you :) hang in there and keep us updated on your journey... We're all here for you!

Wannabegiant

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »

ty wannabe... btw, how does the Dr. measure you? Standing up???. Jerry, I'll be at the hospital as wannabe was

They measured me standing up with a stadiometer, and then they also scanned the dimensions of my legs in some kind of high tech device, with this they got all the info they need for my legs, how long they are and how they bend and if rotation is needed etc.

crimsontide

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

just picked up my passport with visa. Planning on going to Russia tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous.  Going to a foreign nation to get my legs broken is a bit extreme, but I have confidence that I'll be be okay. I'll try to update daily

SteveJames

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »

He preform this surgery is Baku, doesn't he? How often does he travel from Baku to Moscow?

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 07:13:25 PM »

They measured me standing up with a stadiometer, and then they also scanned the dimensions of my legs in some kind of high tech device, with this they got all the info they need for my legs, how long they are and how they bend and if rotation is needed etc.

The examination sounds very thorough, and it sounds like the doctor acknowledges the importance of alignment as well as length, a crucial and primary element any doctor should be scrutinized on. I really wish I learned of Bagirov before I jumped the gun!
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

crimsontide

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »

wannabegiant,  are the frames you're wearing the same as the frames in the video  of bagirov that you posted?

Wannabegiant

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »

wannabegiant,  are the frames you're wearing the same as the frames in the video  of bagirov that you posted?

Yes, im pretty sure they are the same. It sure looks that way at least.

crimsontide

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »

ty wannabe... Those can be pretty easily concealed under pants then.    I'm flying to moscow in a few hours.   Nervous, but also ready to get this done

DREAM

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »

Wannabegiant, are u current just standing or can u move with the walker ?

jerry

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

He preform this surgery is Baku, doesn't he? How often does he travel from Baku to Moscow?

The Dr perform the surgery in both Baku and Moscow.  I read that he is mostly in Moscow and goes to Baku once every month. 

Good luck crimsontide.  Hope the weather isn't too cold there.

crimsontide

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »

Ty Jerry.  I'm at the clinic now.  Anna is great,  everyone is nice though. .. They Have a very nice pretty girl from Bulgaria but she's leaving Monday. . She Had the Surgery on Tuesday and is walking already. .. They had a girl that was 180 cm that lengthened 7 or 8 cm but she  already left.  The fixator is very small.  It's a half ring,  and does not stick out much.   I don't think there's a smaller fixator than this, including salamehs device.   

PrettyTall

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »

Ty Jerry.  I'm at the clinic now.  Anna is great,  everyone is nice though. .. They Have a very nice pretty girl from Bulgaria but she's leaving Monday. . She Had the Surgery on Tuesday and is walking already. .. They had a girl that was 180 cm that lengthened 7 or 8 cm but she  already left.  The fixator is very small.  It's a half ring,  and does not stick out much.   I don't think there's a smaller fixator than this, including salamehs device.
   half ring ? does it look like salameh fixator?

crimsontide

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

Yes. .. it's tiny. .. A girl here was wearing pajama pants today and could not tell she was wearing fixator. .. I was wrong about girl though. .. One girl lengthened 10 cm and  they say she will be okay but she's still recovering. ... but I'm not sure she exercised enough and 10 cm is a lot

crimsontide

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »

Having surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday. . Met the Dr today..He asked me how much I wanted to leng1.5 yearsn. . He said there wer6-7  different lengthening  intervals, from 3-6 cm,6-9 and 9-11 cm.  He recommended 5 or 6 cm as the ideal so Was happy when I said 6 cm.   I asked him about complications. He is very confident that as long as I follow his instructions, everything will be fine. . He wants me to lengthen    .6 mm a day.  I won't start lengthening until I go home though. Patients here are walking (With walker) The day after surgery.  He is very upfront about total  recovery time. .. From 8 months total to 1.5 years. . This is for 6-7 cm. Ultimately it is up to the patient.  I agree with him btw that there is no need to stay in hospital while lengthening. One can do the exercises by themselves and the patient of course lengthens  himself. . He does say that after lengthening, we need to come back for a checkup and then of course at the end of consolidation to remove frames. .  If you have questions, feel free to ask

paco1

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »

Hi Crisomtide,
Good luck with your surgery. have you asked to your doctor about lengthening lose? With only external you can lose 0'5-1cm.
I am planing my surgery with doctor salameh this year i had two appoinments with him, but i have somes doubts if it would be better
to do LON, but in this case i have pain in my kness the rest of my life. I don't know what option is better.
cheers

jerry

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »

What if there's complications during lengthening period?  Pin site infection, ballerina foot  etc.   

crimsontide

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

Dont see how I can lose 1 cm with external. ....  Once you lengthen a certain amount I don't understand how it is possible to shrink.    I think that maybe  patients think they have lengthened let's say 6 cm but in reality only lengthened 5 cm, but I can't see how you shrink to 5 cm  if you actually  lengthen 6 cm. Jerry. The Dr said ballerina is caused by 2 things.  The first is the  fault of the surgeon. The second is if you don't do the exercises that are prescribed. ,He says it won't be an issue if I simply follow his instructions.  The thing he emphasized most was keeping the  legs straight and not bending the knees.  Pin site infections are very minor and easily taken care of.

Disobedient

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »

Hello,,..

I wonder why didn't you choose LON or LATN, since Dr.BAGIROV can use internal nail too?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:14:16 PM by Disobedient »

crimsontide

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »

As far as I know, Dr Bagirov does not offer lon or latn.

Disobedient

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »

RGKEY  asked him and he said yes, he is performing LON, and LATN..
oh wait not sure if it's LON or LATN, but he can perform nail inside ..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:33:15 PM by Disobedient »

Wannabegiant

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »

RGKEY  asked him and he said yes, he is performing LON, and LATN..
oh wait not sure if it's LON or LATN, but he can perform nail inside ..

I think you are confusing Dr. Barinov with Dr. Bagirov.

RGKEY did his surgery with Dr. Barinov.

Im pretty sure Dr. Bagirov does not perform LON or LATN.

crimsontide

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:11 PM »

Rgkey's Doctor is Barinov, not Bagirov

Disobedient

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

I think you are confusing Dr. Barinov with Dr. Bagirov.

RGKEY did his surgery with Dr. Barinov.

Im pretty sure Dr. Bagirov does not perform LON or LATN.

yes you're right ...  :-[   
the names look so similar to me started with B and end with V ! ..
my bad..

anyway all the best in your LL journey , crimsontide  ;D

jerry

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 12:05:18 AM »

Dont see how I can lose 1 cm with external. ....  Once you lengthen a certain amount I don't understand how it is possible to shrink.    I think that maybe  patients think they have lengthened let's say 6 cm but in reality only lengthened 5 cm, but I can't see how you shrink to 5 cm  if you actually  lengthen 6 cm.

I think it's known as pin site loss.   The theory is that standing up & walking put weight on the bones which compress it and decreases the gain height.   Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »

I think it's known as pin site loss.   The theory is that standing up & walking put weight on the bones which compress it and decreases the gain height.   Correct me if I'm wrong.

pin pending is something different, with Bagirovs frames as they have fewer but thicker pins, pin bending can mean you "lose" 3 mm at most according to Bagirov, but you simply turn more to make up for that.

However losing 1 cm is different, that is a risk with subsidence, which can happen after frame removal with externals only. However it seems 1 cm loss is pretty rare and it also depends on how long you stay in the frames until you remove them.

jerry

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

Hey crimsontide,  I got a few questions so I'll just line them all up if that's ok

-  any pics of the clinic or the frames? 
-  are there any advantages of the smaller frames over the traditional ilizarov? 
-   could you elaborate more on the consultation with the Doctor and pre op checkup?
-   lastly how long do you plan to stay in Russia ?

Thanks and gd luck with the surgery this week.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18   Go Up