Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is HGH ever used in Limb Lengthening?  (Read 4062 times)

five10not6feet

• Visitor
Is HGH ever used in Limb Lengthening?
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »

What kind of hormone therapy is used, if any, in surgical limb lengthening? It seems like Human Growth Hormone and some others might help speed the process. Is that being used in any of the procedures you're aware of to help speed recovery?

sandman51

• Visitor
Re: Is HGH ever used in Limb Lengthening?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »

I think HGH is not used in adults because of all the posible side effects associated with it.

doomsday

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »

betz use it

Iamready

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:08:49 PM »

doomsday

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »

for older patients, the same way older celebrities shoot up HGH.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »

Can you elaborate?

His used it in a few patients that had poor consolidation.

Iamready

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:18:14 AM »

Thanks.

Iamready

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

I wonder why Dr. Paley doesn't use Hgh for poor consolidation.  There has to be some negative side effect.

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

Hgh may cause cancer.
There is no bigger risk than that and I wonder how easily some people take it just to look a little younger or to have some bigger muscles.

For bone growth I doubt if it can heal non unions. Faster bone growth is not a serious reason to take hgh or steroids as bones can heal normaly with only good nutrition.

So people should not base their rehabilitation in steroids or hgh, if the surgery went fine and the patient is not old or smokes, he would be fine most of the times without anything else.

ibuse

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »

Roughly the same thing, but look at a drug called Forteo. It's one of the most powerful osteoporosis drugs on the market from what I understand. I currently use it to increase bone density in my spine. I doubt I'll use it during lengthening, or if I even should due to the risk of early union. Unlike other osteoporosis drugs, it doesn't just prevent bone loss, but induces bone growth. And ignore all of the BS about causes of bone cancer. I don't know about HGH, but there has yet to be a single case of bone cancer with the drug in humans, just the small number in mice. Some doctors are now beginning to ignore the 2 year restriction because of that.

But I'll definitely give it a shot during consolidation. I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it for consolidation purposes. In fact, I am willing to bet it's more powerful than HGH in terms of consolidation. Some people see their BMD increase by 8% with it after a year's use. And keep in mind these people are really old and probably have poor nutrition anyways. So it will be very interesting to see what it does to someone like me who is spot-on with supplementation and is younger (vitamin K-2, D3, calcium, and etc). Because if I recall, studies done with vitamin K-2 claimed to get 6% after a year, which is hilariously more effective than Fosamax. So if you twist the supplements and drugs together, it may stack (I can't prove this with me until I do another bone DEXA scan).

Most wouldn't be able to get this drug without a legitimate use from insurance. Because without insurance, it is $2,600 for a 30 day supply! But the good news is the patent expires in a year, so I'm sure a generic brand will knock it down to like $300+ per month.

ibuse

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:55:29 PM »

Here is a picture of the drug in case anyone is interested. I believe the dosage that invoked bone cancer in 2% of mice was much, much higher. I really need to find this study now.

http://imgur.com/a/zYQDI

Edit: I should probably note that BMD is normally measured in the hip and spine. Forteo in studies increases the BMD in the spine at a rate much higher than in the hip. I'm sure it would still accelerate the consolidation phase (probably by not much, but every bit helps). But one probably wouldn't see rates of 6-8% in the femurs/tibias in under a year like in bone segments located in the spine. I don't know what the studies in HGH say, but they probably measured at the same two locations.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:19:45 AM by ibuse »

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »

Roughly the same thing, but look at a drug called Forteo. It's one of the most powerful osteoporosis drugs on the market from what I understand. I currently use it to increase bone density in my spine. I doubt I'll use it during lengthening, or if I even should due to the risk of early union. Unlike other osteoporosis drugs, it doesn't just prevent bone loss, but induces bone growth. And ignore all of the BS about causes of bone cancer. I don't know about HGH, but there has yet to be a single case of bone cancer with the drug in humans, just the small number in mice. Some doctors are now beginning to ignore the 2 year restriction because of that.

But I'll definitely give it a shot during consolidation. I don't see why anyone wouldn't use it for consolidation purposes. In fact, I am willing to bet it's more powerful than HGH in terms of consolidation. Some people see their BMD increase by 8% with it after a year's use. And keep in mind these people are really old and probably have poor nutrition anyways. So it will be very interesting to see what it does to someone like me who is spot-on with supplementation and is younger (vitamin K-2, D3, calcium, and etc). Because if I recall, studies done with vitamin K-2 claimed to get 6% after a year, which is hilariously more effective than Fosamax. So if you twist the supplements and drugs together, it may stack (I can't prove this with me until I do another bone DEXA scan).

Most wouldn't be able to get this drug without a legitimate use from insurance. Because without insurance, it is $2,600 for a 30 day supply! But the good news is the patent expires in a year, so I'm sure a generic brand will knock it down to like $300+ per month.

Very,very interesting stuff. Sucks how expensive it is though. Do you reckon the generic brand will be far less powerful? I'd buy it during consolidation i'm praying i naturally have good/average consolidation though

ibuse

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 10:20:24 PM »

The generic should be the same stuff, it'll probably just go by the name of Teriparatide, which is the drug's non-branded name. Normally big pharma companies up the cost into the thousands of dollars if it is an innovative drug and they hold the patent on it. It makes up for the research costs and lines their pockets until other companies can use the patent. So the generic should be the same stuff, just with different companies making it to drive down the costs.

Here is a wiki article on it. It did give me the side effects of bone pain and heavy brain fog for the first few weeks, but it cleared up afterwards. I still get a little brain fog from it, but not too much. If there are side effects, they generally clear up after several hours. I think it only stays in your system for a very short period of time, so that may be why. You'll have to get blood-work done before you're allowed to take it. From what I understand, your parathyroid glands have to work in order to make use of this drug (which should be almost everyone on this forum).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teriparatide

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:48:03 PM »

That makes sense. The big pharma comp's probably do it in a more state of the art lab so they charge more to not lose profit from all the investment they did. Even if the generic were less powerful id still take it along with some D3 should really speed up the process.
Ehh those side effects aren't any biggie. I get heavy bone pain and I haven't even done LL yet so I'm used to that only thing that really seems unbearable is nerve pain. Brain fog doesn't seem too severe if u just make sure u take it right before bed or any time period that u wont need any good judgement.
"It is effective in growing bone." Where was this when i was 9 years old?  >:(
"But an Italian soccer player, Francesco Totti, was given teriparatide after a tibia/fibula fracture, and he unexpectedly recovered in time for the 2006 World Cup." Goddamn this is like something made out of heaven. 579-967 USD a pop though.. that generic brand needs to come out soon. Thanks for sharing

ibuse

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »

If you're in the U.S., there is a program hosted by Eli Lilly to get a massive discount (the company that produces the drug). If you are on a public form of healthcare such as Obamacare/Medicare, you get no discount and rely on your program to fork over the cost. In other words, they expect the government to eat the full cost. (And we wonder why healthcare is failing--the U.S. government eats up big pharma's research costs, while the rest of the world benefits.)

Now if you're on any private insurance that is typically given by a company, you get a two year supply at $4 per 90 days! After two years, it looks like the program expires and you eat up the original cost (insurance would pay it after you meet your deductible anyways). But like I said, in a year the patent expires, so that should help out considerably. Because it is still the best drug out on the market. It blows any bisphosphonate out of the water once you get over the cancer scare.

With all that being said, if you were to go to any reasonable doctor in the U.S. and ask for a bone DEXA scan when you hit your consolidation phase, they would probably cave in and give you the drug to speed things up. I just can't think of a reason why they wouldn't do it. But if the bone DEXA scan doesn't yield a very concerning result (you're not in the osteoporosis range in the consolidation phase), they may chicken out and give you some drug like Prolia (zzzzzz).

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to that patent expiring. If it weren't for the bone cancer possibility it'd be one of the most demanded product out there  no doubt.

YungGud

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »

I don't understand if  this stuff  ( teriparatide)can make bones growing longer?
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

ibuse

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »

I don't think it can, but I have no clue what it would do if your growth plates haven't closed yet. I'm not sure if it has ever been used in children before. It's mainly used to increase your bone density at a faster rate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up