Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would it be possible to build muscle mass after the surgery?  (Read 4119 times)

SStriker

• Visitor

Hello there, I'm a new member at the forums. I'm a 19 year old male from Brazil and I'm considering doing leg lengthening surgery in the far future, probably 6-8 years from now (since it seems to be quite expensive if done safely and I"ll need quite some time to get a job that provides me enough money and lets me take such a long time off), due to my pretty low height - 163cm, approximately 5'4". I've thought a bit about it since I don't really feel OK with this height (nothing to feel depressive over, but it does bug me a lot since 95% of my male friends are taller than me) and for now, if I do it, I'm aiming for 5-6cm in both femur and tibia, which would leave me at about 173-175cm, a height I would be pretty happy to have, and that doesn't seem to be too risky of an amount. I'm still not 100% sure about doing it, and I still don't know about which doctor I should choose, but I'm definitely going to start saving money just in case. If I decide to do it, I'll have the money for that, if I give up, I'll have some money to invest on other things.

However, I'm also interested in bodybuilding (not professionally, just to look better) and I'm worried that I might not be able to do build muscle mass after the surgery due to complications that might occur such as weaker bones and tendon problems in general. I don't really care about wasting 2 or 3 years recovering fully if needed since there are a lot of indoor activities I can enjoy (gaming, watching series, reading, etc) nor not being able to compete professionally in sports since that isn't my objective for life, but I do care about losing mass building potential or not being able to walk or run normally. I also do know that it's more difficult to build muscle when taller but I'm not really worried about it since it's a matter of diet and commitment, I'm more worried as to whether my bones and tendons would actually withstand such activities normally, just like before the surgery. I've also read from some threads here that doing regular stretching exercises beforehand may help with the surgery itself. I'd also like to know if that's true, because I'd be willing to do that.

I'd like to take people's opinions and experiences on this matter into consideration before really deciding on anything, so if you could share them, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
Current height: 165cm (5'5")
Current Goal: 175cm (5'9")
Dream: 180cm (5'11")

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Would it be possible to do build muscle mass after the surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:20:57 AM »

Building mass is certainly possible after leg lengthening. As for building muscle strength, this study determined that the lengthened limb will have slightly weaker muscle strength potential after leg lengthening:

Objective
To report muscle strength, power, and function after limb-lengthening surgery performed by using the Ilizarov technique.

Results
Overall results were good with high reports of function and satisfactory clinical examination. Both concentric muscle strength and leg power showed a clear pattern of decreased muscle strength at 6 months after frame removal, improving throughout the study period until it was within 3% of the preoperative value at 2 years. By 2 years, self-reported function and ability to complete timed functional tests had returned to or improved on the preoperative values. Muscle strength remained slightly below the preoperative value; this was more pronounced in the quadriceps than the hamstrings. There was no association between muscle strength and the amount of lengthening that had been undertaken.

Conclusions
This study suggests that there is a small residual decrease in muscle strength and power after limb-lengthening surgery but that these do not adversely impact on a patients' ability to perform everyday functional activities.

http://www.archives-pmr.org/article/S0003-9993(09)00967-8/fulltext

It's not all that much to be noticeable, imo. What's much more noticeable is the decrease in flexibility and speed, and worse balance.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Body Builder

Re: Would it be possible to build muscle mass after the surgery?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:04:01 AM »

Yes you can build a lot of mass but you should work out more clever as you probably won't be so stable or don't have perfect rom to do heavy squats or deadlifts with great technique so you should understand that and do more seated exercises.

Personally, I am in the best condition I ever was although I don't squat a lot and I don't do very heavy deadlifts as my feet are not very stable due to some complications I had with my achilles tendons but my torso is more muscular than ever (1.75 with 90kg and about 13-4% fat).
LL cause much problems in running and all the sports that you need your feet a lot (football etc) but it doesn't affect amateur bbing, except some weaker legs. Only that.

SStriker

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »

Building mass is certainly possible after leg lengthening. As for building muscle strength, this study determined that the lengthened limb will have slightly weaker muscle strength potential after leg lengthening:

Objective
To report muscle strength, power, and function after limb-lengthening surgery performed by using the Ilizarov technique.

Results
Overall results were good with high reports of function and satisfactory clinical examination. Both concentric muscle strength and leg power showed a clear pattern of decreased muscle strength at 6 months after frame removal, improving throughout the study period until it was within 3% of the preoperative value at 2 years. By 2 years, self-reported function and ability to complete timed functional tests had returned to or improved on the preoperative values. Muscle strength remained slightly below the preoperative value; this was more pronounced in the quadriceps than the hamstrings. There was no association between muscle strength and the amount of lengthening that had been undertaken.

Conclusions
This study suggests that there is a small residual decrease in muscle strength and power after limb-lengthening surgery but that these do not adversely impact on a patients' ability to perform everyday functional activities.

It's not all that much to be noticeable, imo. What's much more noticeable is the decrease in flexibility and speed, and worse balance.

Thanks for your input, scientific evidence is always good.

I guess I would not care too much then. I don't care too much for building strength, nor for speed or flexibility. Mass and decent functionality (like being able to ride bicycles at normal speed when going to work or being able to walk stairs up and down normally if needed) is my main concern.

Yes you can build a lot of mass but you should work out more clever as you probably won't be so stable or don't have perfect rom to do heavy squats or deadlifts with great technique so you should understand that and do more seated exercises.

Personally, I am in the best condition I ever was although I don't squat a lot and I don't do very heavy deadlifts as my feet are not very stable due to some complications I had with my achilles tendons but my torso is more muscular than ever (1.75 with 90kg and about 13-4% fat).
LL cause much problems in running and all the sports that you need your feet a lot (football etc) but it doesn't affect amateur bbing, except some weaker legs. Only that.

Thanks for your input as well. It's nice to hear from someone who actually engages in bodybuilding about it.

I guess I should still be able to work out nicely then. My main concern is about not being able to do it. I don't care about sports too much. I ride bicycles sometimes when I need to go somewhere though, do you think it would affect it? I guess it's not going to be much of a problem if I get a motorcycle or a car eventually, or use public transportation, but I'd still like to have an idea.

Also, do you think 5-6 cm in each limb is a good idea? I've seen people do more than that but I don't feel too safe about it, it seems to have more room for complications, especially since I'm way shorter than average. I wouldn't mind getting a bit out of proportion for a extra inch or two but I would probably mind if I lost too much functionality.
Current height: 165cm (5'5")
Current Goal: 175cm (5'9")
Dream: 180cm (5'11")

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »

Objective

Results

Conclusions

You gotta understand that it takes a very long time for muscle fibers to stretch the lengthened amount and adapt to the new consolidated bone's length and duplicate its length. Thats something that can't be done at 2 years. If a individual is lengthening lets just say 6 cm by 5-7 months on average they should be able to walk unaided safely and by 8-9 months the individual's limbs should be 80-90% consolidated assuming no complications arisen. Point is, by 8-9 months they're just getting started finishing consolidation so why would you base a answer on 2 year old test subjects? Do a follow up study in 4 years and let me know if they still feel weak. You are a mod educate people more thoroughly and analyze all factors that contribute to it. Or else don't spread ignorance.

Also, people that have long legs and a short torso suck at squats and deadlifts its not about LL its just simple physics  just don't expect to be Hercules after a traumatic procedure like this but if you dedicate yourself and are patient then I think you will be in good shape.

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:23 PM »

Thanks for your input, scientific evidence is always good.

I guess I would not care too much then. I don't care too much for building strength, nor for speed or flexibility. Mass and decent functionality (like being able to ride bicycles at normal speed when going to work or being able to walk stairs up and down normally if needed) is my main concern.

Thanks for your input as well. It's nice to hear from someone who actually engages in bodybuilding about it.

I guess I should still be able to work out nicely then. My main concern is about not being able to do it. I don't care about sports too much. I ride bicycles sometimes when I need to go somewhere though, do you think it would affect it? I guess it's not going to be much of a problem if I get a motorcycle or a car eventually, or use public transportation, but I'd still like to have an idea.

Also, do you think 5-6 cm in each limb is a good idea? I've seen people do more than that but I don't feel too safe about it, it seems to have more room for complications, especially since I'm way shorter than average. I wouldn't mind getting a bit out of proportion for a extra inch or two but I would probably mind if I lost too much functionality.
No, I don't think you are going to have trouble with biking.
And the best idea, if you really want to do both segments, is 6-7 cm in femurs and 5-6 in tibias. Most people can handle that without much problems.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »

You gotta understand that it takes a very long time for muscle fibers to stretch the lengthened amount and adapt to the new consolidated bone's length and duplicate its length. Thats something that can't be done at 2 years. If a individual is lengthening lets just say 6 cm by 5-7 months on average they should be able to walk unaided safely and by 8-9 months the individual's limbs should be 80-90% consolidated assuming no complications arisen. Point is, by 8-9 months they're just getting started finishing consolidation so why would you base a answer on 2 year old test subjects? Do a follow up study in 4 years and let me know if they still feel weak. You are a mod educate people more thoroughly and analyze all factors that contribute to it. Or else don't spread ignorance.

Also, people that have long legs and a short torso suck at squats and deadlifts its not about LL its just simple physics  just don't expect to be Hercules after a traumatic procedure like this but if you dedicate yourself and are patient then I think you will be in good shape.

Link a study showing that muscle strength after leg lengthening is in no way adversely affected permanently. Right now we have this, plus more than one study showing that lengthening limbs damages the muscle fibers to a degree, regardless of distraction rate. What makes you think that you can stretch muscles to adapt to a longer bone that it wasn't built for and then have it end up not losing any strength potential as opposed to if it were not lengthened at all? It's wishful thinking.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Body Builder

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:40:14 PM »

LL affects negatively soft tissues. But the difference is not significant, if we talk of course about sensible lengthening. For a limit of about 5cm in tibias and 6cm in femurs the change in muscle function will be minor for most people.

However the change in biomechanics is more important and obvious imo.
Even if the muscles work good, the body can't fully adapt to some longer legs and that causes problems in running, stability and maybe even ligaments after some years.

So even if the muscles won't have any obvious difference, the biomechanical change will cause obvious differences in functions.

Name

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 08:23:37 PM »

"LL affects negatively soft tissues. But the difference is not significant, if we talk of course about sensible lengthening. For a limit of about 5cm in tibias and 6cm in femurs the change in muscle function will be minor for most people.

However the change in biomechanics is more important and obvious imo.
Even if the muscles work good, the body can't fully adapt to some longer legs and that causes problems in running, stability and maybe even ligaments after some years.

So even if the muscles won't have any obvious difference, the biomechanical change will cause obvious differences in functions".

How much would an average person need to lengthen their femurs before they'd have problems performing explosive activities like sprinting? If you lengthen both segments so that your tibia:femur ratio remains about the same, will you then experience any biomechanical problems with your longer legs?
Pages: [1]   Go Up