Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's it really like after the surgery ?  (Read 1620 times)

James24

What's it really like after the surgery ?
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:45:31 AM »

What's it like after the surgery?

And i'm talking about ever single aspect in life..

This question is directed to those who have completed the surgery for a while.

Is there any regret? Are there disadvantages? Advantages?
It's not about how tall you are in the eyes of the world, It's about how you feel about yourself as an individual.

Sibirsky

Re: What's it really like after the surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »

I can only help you through how I have experienced things, you can view more on how I feel on my diary as it's more detailed. But anyway maybe you're like me and hope this helps

I am a guy who was average height (in a family of tall people) in his country and now considered tall. I was obsessed about height ever since  I was about 17. When I found out about LL and figured it was within my financial means (if I worked hard), it motivated me. I worked hard to get into a good university, worked part time jobs and eventually got a good paying job, and through a ruthless work ethic, climbed rather quickly up the corporate ladder. I did this both to prove my worth by other means instead of my height and I needed the money. Planning for this surgery became my ethos.

Although I'm here, post surgery and walking fine, enjoying the inherent infatuation women have for taller, bigger men, I feel demotivated to work hard on anything anymore. I'm slacking at not just at work but even on the daily chores cause I'm thinking, why should I work hard? I've got what I wanted, it's the endgame in terms of a long term dream. It's slightly depressing actually, being so much less motivated than I once was as a man with an inferiority complex.

So that's basically what I think. I don't think I'm able to cover all aspects of life, but that's the gist of how I perceive things daily. My only advice if you're considering this surgery is please don't obsess about it. Because once your obsession guides you to reach your goal eventually and becomes almost your sole source of motivation in life, like it was for me, the end result will leave you underwhelmed. You'll get exactly what you want, be satisfied  yet still unhappy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:45:24 PM by Sibirsky »
176 cm before
184 cm after
-Walking, squatting, jogging slowly but not yet running
-Advocate of average height people wanting to be taller

Sibirsky

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »

Edit: But really though gotta mention one thing about women. I know many of you might think "oh man , if I were X cm taller and become an alpha male at 6+ feet, I'll be drowning in pussy!" and others who have more common sense and realise that there's more to that. But really the only thing that's change this past 6 months is my height, maybe a bit of facial hair from not shaving, and women are noticeably more keen to talk to you. At the bar, grocery shops, Starbucks. So no, you won't be drowning in anything (cause your taller ;)) but maybe function slightly better  as a chick magnet?
176 cm before
184 cm after
-Walking, squatting, jogging slowly but not yet running
-Advocate of average height people wanting to be taller

James24

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »

Damn, Good for you man, I'm proud of the fact that you worked hard for what you wanted.

Yes, The Ambition drives us towards working hard to get what we want.
But once we have it, we feel empty.

On the other hand, I have bigger plans than the surgery. (I wanna study medicine and become a doctor, which itself will take up a lot of time)
I'm not in a rush to do the surgery. But it is a must.
I really hate labeling myself as "depressed" But that's exactly what I seem to be, after I came to the realization that i'm stuck forever at 169.5 cm (5'6 1/2) at age 16...

You really motivated me to work hard for it.
And now i'm sure that i won't feel empty that it's done, I will carry on my life in my other dream :)

Thanks for the reply btw, Appreciate it  :D
It's not about how tall you are in the eyes of the world, It's about how you feel about yourself as an individual.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

As a med student and leg lengthener, I tell you that you should really plan for the surgery. 170 cm is a really good starting height and you can be done with one surgery (if you are not too greedy). Even so, you have to take into account that you will spent a lot of time in recovery. The lengthening itself takes months; however, the return to normal function is much slower.

I don't know where you are from, but it is very difficult to keep up with all the responsibilities of being a med student (specially when you are already in the hospital). I imagine it would be a million times harder if you had to worry about your gait, stiffness, range of motion. DO NOT BE LIKE ALL THE OVERACHIEVERS WHO THINK THAT THEY CAN LENGTHEN IN 3-4 months AND COME BACK TO LIFE IMMEDIATELY. LL is a hard and long process. Depending on the technique you should take a year or 1.5 years for LL.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »

Edit: But really though gotta mention one thing about women. I know many of you might think "oh man , if I were X cm taller and become an alpha male at 6+ feet, I'll be drowning in pussy!" and others who have more common sense and realise that there's more to that. But really the only thing that's change this past 6 months is my height, maybe a bit of facial hair from not shaving, and women are noticeably more keen to talk to you. At the bar, grocery shops, Starbucks. So no, you won't be drowning in anything (cause your taller ;)) but maybe function slightly better  as a chick magnet?

Hey Sibirsky I congratulate you for achieving your LL. Now that you succeeded, it's time to move on to another equally ambitious goal. That's the only way to keep motivation and progress. Respect!  :)
Went from 164 to 170 cm

James24

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »

You're very right.

It is not something that's achieved overnight.
If I expect to fully recover (Which is quite impossible to "fully" recover) in less than a few months, I'm in for a huge disappointment.
And no, i'm not greedy..

I'm not looking to be "tall"..
I'm looking to make up for what my early puberty has costed me..
and that was to be of average height (5'9)

Even that amount is enough for me.

As for my studies, I think this surgery will help.
Instead of having to play video games and procrastinating all day, I could catch up on studies :)
Hell, even the surgery could teach me a thing or two..

Thanks for your reply btw :) I really do appreciate it. Stay awesome.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »

You're very right.

It is not something that's achieved overnight.
If I expect to fully recover (Which is quite impossible to "fully" recover) in less than a few months, I'm in for a huge disappointment.
And no, I'm not greedy..

I'm not looking to be "tall"..
I'm looking to make up for what my early puberty has cost me..
And that was to be of average height (5'9)

Even that amount is enough for me.

As for my studies, I think this surgery will help.
Instead of having to play video games and procrastinating all day, I could catch up on studies :)
Hell, even the surgery could teach me a thing or two..

Thanks for your reply btw :) I really do appreciate it. Stay awesome.

You are welcome :)

Like you I also had early puberty and my growth cartilage was none existent when I was 15 years old. Like you, I'm not looking to be tall, only to achieve average height as safely as possible. Now with 1 LL I have achieved what my genes originally intended 170 cm, I'm not planning for another LL soon. Who knows after 5, 10 years?

Limb lengthening is a long, hard experience and recovery takes time. You should calculate at least 6 to 12 months to achieve normal walking and be back to everyday life (for sports, it can be much longer). As long as you have this in mind it's ok.

You being a medical student is a HUGE advantage in this process, one that many lengtheners won't have. I remember after surgery I had too much nausea and vomiting because of morphine. I called my anesthetist (because I knew that having his phone would be important) and told him to put me ondansetron and antagonize the morphine which he did. Because I used Guichet Nail, I walked immediately after surgery and every time I stood up with the walker, my IV line moved. I told the nurses to change it to the forearm but they didn't listen to me. 2 days after, I had erithema, pain along the IV line, and slight fever. I told them that it was flebitis and to change my IV. ONLY then they realized they were wrong and did as I told them.

As a med student you know how your body works, what structures are hurting, what muscles are contracted, why duckass occurs, what is an IT band. You will have a huge advantage compared to the other lengtheners. Finally, you will understand how pain REALLY is and what it is like being handicapped. How greedy can doctors be in these times. This I think will enrich a lot your education as a doctor and will make you more sympathetic towards people in pain and difficulty.

For me it is like this. I remember my first steps, even 100 meters would make me tired and in pain. For us it's temporary but there are people who live like this their entire life. Never forget this.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up