Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suicidal thoughts ... Feeling down alot  (Read 2685 times)

egocentrical

Suicidal thoughts ... Feeling down alot
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:50 PM »

Hi guys,

I've never really talked about this but I saw an ex that sparked all these feelings inside of me that I just need help with to. Be honest ... I've felt like this and bottled it for to long. Ever since I was around 16 ive hated myself, literally everything about me - family life sucked, social life sucked but I created this persona of not caring which helped me so much in dealing with everything in my life. I never felt like I belonged to anything, I just feel void and empty, even with my long term girlfriend who was honestly the only thing that made me feel slightly happy - we split not long ago and I've recently seen her with someone else and it just made feel like  . I'm not saying that this is sole reason I hate myself because it's such a small part of it, but regardless of what I do in my life where. Gym,fk random girls, go out with mates I just never feel a connection with anything at all and it's slowly driving me mentally insane - my depression is all I think about and how it drove the only thing I loved away from me ... I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to ask for help on something I can't fully explain but I can't take living anymore and the only reason I haven't killed myself is because the old me perceived it as weak minded and I can't go through with it ... Have any of you been to a therapist and does it help?

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: Suicidal thoughts ... Feeling down alot
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »

Therapist can help if it's a decent one. Talking, keeping urself busy helps.
You are after breakup so it's obvious you will feel down. I know it's a bit cliché but give urself some time.

If you want to talk about stuff feel free to pm me.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »

The path will be long and difficult, but if you are willing to continue through it, you can have the life you deserve. It is not wrong to seek help even if you don't understand your feelings yourself. Sometimes, we need others to help us figure it out.

Seek professional help and know that this is something you can't solve from night to morning. You need to work for it for months! Take care man, you have much to offer in the world as we all do.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

helloworld

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »

Depression really sucks! But there is a way out. I know because I have gotten myself out using several techniques.
I will post some of them hear and you can see if any of them help you.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
surgery Nov/Dec 2016, stopped lengthening April 2017
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »

1 Eat a healthy diet & Omega-3
1.1 Importance of nutrition
All emotions are produced by brain chemicals, and all of these brain chemicals are somehow derived from what our body has taken in, i.e. our nutrition. Thus, it is clear that our nutrition is essential in influencing our brain chemicals and thereby our emotions.
1.2 General guidelines for a happy, healthy diet
Generally, a healthy diet is a diet that leads to happiness, and a diet that leads to happiness will most likely be healthy one. That said there are many different opinions on what constitutes a healthy diet. Here is what I do for myself:
Eat at least 25% vegetables and 35% fruits.
Eat some red meat including the animal fat, which is important in testosterone production, but eat at least as much fish as meat.
No coffee, very little alcohol, very little chocolate or other candies, no junk food.
Supplement with certain amino acids (Arginine, Ornithine, BCAA) and with Omega-3.
1.3 Omega-3
Especially important to a diet that makes us happy is a healthy ratio of two essential fatty acids, the Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio. A healthy ratio, and one that makes us happy, is between 1:1 and 1:2. Unfortunately, in today’s western society most people eat far more Omega-6 rich food and thus often have a ratio of 1:10 or higher! This can be changed by either changing our diet completely, or just by supplementing with Omega-3 to balance out the large amount of Omega-6.
You can hear more about the importance of Omega-3 and its function as an antidepressant in the Ted talk of Steve Ilardi: 
Therefore, apart from eating a lot of fish, including the fatty skin of fish, I supplement with 2 Omega-3 pills per day.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »

2 Do enough exercise
2.1 Importance of exercise
Exercise has been shown to be a very effective remedy against depression:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/for-depression-prescribing-exercise-before-medication/284587/
Generally, people that do a lot of exercise are rarely depressive, while people that lead a sedentary lifestyle are often depressive.
You can also see this in the importance of exercise in this Ted talk by Steve Ilardi:

2.2 Strategies for becoming happy by exercise
In order to become happier you need to have an exercise routine, a routine whereby you do physical activity for at least 30 minutes minutes, 3 times a week.
My personal exercise routine looks like this:
I do not go to the gym, as I am too busy to spend time on commuting to and working out at a gym and as a gym work-out is quite solitary.
Rather than going to the gym, I do sports with my friends, which including running, tennis, basketball, football. When doing sports with friends, I can combine physical activity with socializing and it is thus more fun.
Beyond that, I commute to work every day via running or biking.
Furthermore, every day during work I get out of the office at least twice for 10-15 minutes. In this time I will run to a park and do a 5-7 minute high intensity training that brings me to the limit of my physical capability, and then run back.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

3 Make a happy body posture, gestures, facial expression
Our body posture, gestures and facial expressions influence the way we feel!
3.1 Physiology <-> Emotion
For most of us it is clear what a depressed person looks like in terms of body posture, gestures and facial expression or even how he sounds like. Also, it seems clear how a happy person looks and sound like. This is because our emotions translate into a certain body posture, gestures, facial expression and even voice tonality and speed.
What many of us do not know, is that not only does our mood influence the way we act, look and sound like but also the other way around: our body posture, gestures, facial expressions and the way we talk influence the way we feel.
We can imagine this as follows: Our brain observes our behavior. If we are behaving as if we were happy, even though we are not, we are able to trick our brain into thinking that in fact we are happy, and thus our brain makes us happy.
3.2 Using our physiology to be happier
So in order to feel good, we should act like if we would feel good:
Talk loud and fast
Stand upright
Open up your shoulders
Make big movements
Smile
Anthony Robbins sums it up here in 2 minutes:

In another inspiring Ted talk by Amy Cuddy, you see that just by changing your body posture to appear more powerful, you will actually become more confident and less stressed and thus also happier:

There are also certain movements, like for example dance movements, that have an antidepressant effect, as you can see in the Ted talk of Tal Shafir:

1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

4 Get enough sunlight
4.1 Importance of sunlight
Sunlight has the power to immediately improve our mood. On the contrary, too little sun exposure is unhealthy and can lead to depression. One evidence is the rise in suicide rates during the dark winter months, especially in Scandinavian countries, where sunlight gets very scarce in the winter.

4.2 Strategies for using the sun to become happier
Here are several strategies to make use of the sunlight to become healthier:
We should get up with the sun early in the morning, especially at times of little sun exposure.
If our workplace has no direct sun exposure, we should leave the office regularly for short stints of sunlight exposure. Also, we should avoid at all costs spending more than 2 hours continuously in a room without windows.
If we cannot avoid scarce sun light because of our office space or because of the winter, we can use a special light that simulates the light of the sun, as a sun substitute.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:59 AM »

5 Get enough sleep
5.1 Importance of sleep
In the very short term sleep deprivation can actually help you reduce depression. But if we consistently get less sleep than we need, which for most people is 7-8 hours, then our brain and body cannot restore itself fully, which has been shown to make us less happy and worsen depression.
5.2 Strategies for better sleep
Not only is the amount of sleep important but also the quality of sleep. And as we spend 8 hours per day, we spend 1/3rd of our lives sleeping! So improving the quality of our sleep is really important.
Some strategies for improving our sleep are:
Make sure you sleep in silence and do not get woken up by noise. If there is noise, try to use earplugs to block the noise out.
Make sure your room is completely dark. If you cannot, get a comfortable eye mask.
Sleep position
Invest in a quality mattress or a quality topper and make sure your pillow is not too low nor too high, so that your column is in one straight line.
Sleep on your left side or on your back. Avoid sleeping on your right side or on the stomach.
Supplement with the sleep hormone melatonin.
Do not use any caffeine or other stimulants during 8 hours before bedtime.
Make sure that you are physically exhausted by doing exercise during the day. However, do not do any exhaustive physical or mental activity during at least one hour prior to bedtime.
Try to eliminate negative thoughts like anger and worry before going to bed. For that you can use several techniques like meditation, or using a journal to write down your thoughts. Once you have written down your thoughts you will ruminate less on them.
Get into a regular sleep rhythm.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

helloworld

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »

11 Stay in the moment and anti-ruminating activity
11.1 Avoid rumination
Stay in the moment by working on things you are engaged with and passionate about and avoid too much “free” time without activity. Because if you are working on something that you are not engaged with or have free time without doing anything, you will start ruminating and ruminating generally makes people unhappy.
This is very well explained in the Ted talk by Matt Killingsworth:
http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_killingsworth_want_to_be_happier_stay_in_the_moment
11.2 Thought awareness
I have found for myself that the best antidote to ruminating is getting more thought awareness, as described under thought awareness, below. This meant that when I am ruminating or day dreaming I can catch myself and stop it at least if it is a negative thought.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

onemorefoot

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »

Dont  feel strange, Many people have experimented this, it is common, you dont have any goal, you are bored maybe, or you have a real depression, just a doc can say that.At 16 years almost everyone feels that nobody understands him/her, but with the years you pass that time And have to have goals, if not everything is bored And can cause even depression. Suicide is not an option, at least you are very sure you cant do anything to solve your problems, if is height you know what you have to do,  a hobby can help as I wrote before.
Budget will determine my future.

helloworld

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »

17 Lower expectations & be content
Being content means that you are satisfied with your life as it is, so you are basically happy. So being content is essential for our happiness. If we are not content with our lives, we will often haves thoughts of dissatisfaction with our situation, jealousy on what others have and obsessions with things we feel we need. All of these thoughts - dissatisfaction, jealousy and obsession- are toxic to our happiness, so it is important to be content to prevent us from getting these negative thoughts.
17.1 The damage to happiness of high expectations
In order to be be content one of the most important things is not to try to achieve more but to lower our expectations of live. By lowering our expectations of what we need in order to be content, we can dramatically increase our happiness.
This realisation came to me when I was reading the book on Cognitive Therapy by David Burns, called “Feeling Good”. While reading the book I saw many examples of people that had been cured from depression by seeing that there negative thoughts about themselves did not make and that they actually did not have to be afraid of their future. I could see how many people would be helped by those techniques, but I was depressed at the time, but none of those techniques seemed to apply to me, since I had a very high self-esteem and had a very positive outlook on the future.
So why was I depressed? I thought that I was:
Very intelligent
Very handsome
Very athletic and fast
Very good academically
But for me it was not enough to be very good; I wanted to be the best and in many cases I actually was the best among my peers. But once I would compare myself to people outside my inner circle of friends, I always would find people who are better than me; some people being more intelligent, some being more handsome, some being more athletic, etc. This is of course is totally natural and no reason to be unsatisified. But my problem was that I would always compare myself to the next better category, so that I would always come short of what i expected, and thus I would be unhappy.
My vision for my future was to build several businesses, become a billionaire and then go into politics and solve the world’s most important problems.
So the assumption of Cognitive Therapy that we become depressed when we are thinking of ourselves worse than we are or that we are very pessimistic about the future, did not seem to hold true because was depressed even though I was very confident and had a very positive outlooks. The reason why I was depressed, was because the bar I had set for myself to be happy, was so high, that I gradually become more and more aware that although I could be very good in many things I would not be the best in everything, and that my grandiose vision was unlikely to be realised.
17.2 Stage of lowering expectations
Lowering expectations is not easy, painful and goes through several stages, as I will illustrate with myself.
17.2.1 Negation
As a teenager, being very confident about my strengths, and finishing university at 19 and having 3 Master degrees and speaking 5 languages at 22, I still felt that I was extremely good and had a grandiose future ahead of me.
Then several things happened, like for example business failures, where I could see my years passing by without me getting closer to the positions that I was expecting to get into. And as I continued to advance to my goals much slower than I had thought, the gap between my reality and between my expectations was widening.
This gap between my expectation and my reality made me stressed and depressed. While I could kind of notice the gap and could see its negative effect, I refused to acknowledge it. 
17.2.2 Realization
One day, while I was walking in nature and thinking about my life, it dawned on me that many of my goals I would never be able to realize and that I just had to accept reality. This was an extremely painful realisation.
17.2.3 Adjustment of expectations
For about one week after the realisation I was very sad, because I had to give up on my life goals and set new more achievable life goals that were much closer to my reality.
17.2.4 Happiness
However, once I had replaced my old glorious, but unattainable vision with a vision of my life that seemed within reach, I could feel how much less burden I had and how much happier I became.
Not only that, but also my motivation increased, because now, even though the new vision did not seem as grandiose, it seemed to be really attainable, so I could sense that by working hard, I would actually get there, while before I could not see a path to my prior vision.
17.3 Hedonic expectations
Later, I learned that there is actually a term for this adjustments in expectation: “hedonic adaptation”. It basically means that it is not important how well off we are in absolute terms but in relative terms to our expectations.
Here are some more examples:
17.3.1 Tsunami
Two fathers go with their son on vacation in Thailand, when suddenly a Tsunami hits. The Tsunamis kills the son of one father, and the other son only has a minor knee injury.
One months later one father and son find out that actually the knee injury is serious, thus they get upset. At the same time the other son is found alive, only with a serious knee injury. The other father is extremely happy. So in summary, both fathers have a son with a serious knee injury but one is sad and the other is happy.
Why do the fathers have different feelings even though their reality is the same? Because one father's reality turned out worse than what he expected, while the others turned out much better than what he expected.
17.3.2 Leg surgery
Two patients have leg surgery. One surgery seems to have gone perfect and the patient is told he will be fine within a month. Then a complication happens and the patients has to return to the hospital. After 3 months more complications happen. But again the prognosis is that in 1 month everything will be fine. But then more complications happen, so that after one year the patient is barely able to walk on crutches.
Another surgery is a complete failure and the patient will be bound to the wheelchair for life. But then he miraculously gradually recovers, so that finally he is able to walk on crutches after one year.
Same situation for both patients; after one year they are able to walk on crutches, but the second patient will feel much happier than the first! Why? Again, because the expectation of the first patient was to be able to walk within a month, and walking on crutches after one years is much worse. But for the second patient, the expectation was to always be wheelchair bound, and being able to walk on crutches is much better than his expectations.
17.4 Techniques to uncover irrationality of expectations
As we have seen above Cognitive Therapy proposes various techniques for the patient to realize that in fact he is not as bad as he thinks, and that there is nothing terrible to worry about. However, as we have also seen, for many of us that are feeling depressed, it is not that we are pessimistic about the future or that we have a low self esteem, but instead we just have too high expectations of ourselves and of our future and therefore it becomes very difficult to be content and thus happy with our life.
Thus I have developed the following techniques for me and other to recognize that we actually have a lot of reason to be content about our life:
Ask if there are people worse off
Rate yourself
Inventory of non-monetary assets
Ask with whom you would want to change
17.4.1 Asking if there are people worse off than you
When have unreasonably high expectations you will be discontent. So for example, if you think you:
Need to be an all A student, but you get one B you will be discontent.
Need to be a billionaire, but are only a millionaire, you will be discontent.
Need to look like a top model, but though you look gorgeous are a little too short to be a model, you will be discontent.
Need to lodge in a 5 star hotel, but only have the money for a 3 star hotel, you will be discontent.
In these cases I have found it to be helpful to ask myself the question:
“Even though I am not satisfied with this aspect of my life, is there anybody, who is worse off?” The answer to this question is always yes!
How many people in the world are likely going to be worse off. The answer to this in most cases “between 60%-90%”.
Thus, I ask myself: “If in a certain aspect of my life, I am better of than the vast majority of people, most of whom are not worried about that aspect, why do I need to be worried? Do I even have a right to be unsatisfied?”
17.4.2 Rate yourself
This “rate yourself” technique is similar to the above technique of asking if other people might be worse of. In this technique you look at the most important aspect of your life and rate yourself compared to people within your circle of friends and within people worldwide.
This might looks something like this:

Circle of Friends
Worldwide
Personal
9.8/10
9.3/10
Intelligence
10/10
10/10
Looks
9/10
10/10
Personality
7/10
8/10
Health
8/10
9/10
Private Life
6.3/10
7.3/10
Friends
5/10
6/10
Love
7/10
8/10
Family
7/10
8/10
Professional Life
5/10
9/10
Wealth
5/10
9/10
Job Satisfaction
5/10
9/10
Status
5/10
9/10

Having finished the above rating and seeing that compared to the world I am in the top 25% percentile in pretty much every aspect and even within my group of friends, a lot of whom are much better of then the world average, I am still comparing very well in most aspects, it makes me wonder what reason I have to be discontent about any aspect.
17.4.3 Make inventory of our non-monetary assets
Making inventory of all our non-monetary assets helps us see that a financial situation that is less than ideal does not influence our overall wealth.
To do this technique we think how much money we would have to be paid to give up any of the following things:
Friends & family         
Father/mother/ sister: How much money would have to receive, if at the same time you would have to lose your mother, your father or your sister, to be the same off. For example, would 1 million USD be enough for you to be willing to lose your mother?
Friends: How much money would you have to receive if that meant losing all your friends?
Wife, children: If you were paid 100,000 USD, would you be willing to let your child die?
Body parts & health condition
Eyesight: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your eyesight? 1 billion USD? Personally, I would not even want to sacrifice it for 1 billion USD.
Hearing: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your hearing?
Arm & legs: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your arms or your legs?
Being wheelchair bound: For how much money would you be willing to be permanently wheelchair bound?
Memory (Alzheimer): For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your short-term memory so that you would forget everything as soon as you get to know it?
Diabetes: For how much money would you be willing to accept diabetes?
Personally, for most of the above question I would say there is no money, not even a billion USD, to compensate me for a loss of those intangible assets of mine. But that means , that the cumulative value is many billions, maybe trillions of USD for me. In other words, having 1 million USD more or less is totally irrelevant compared to all the non-monetary assets I already have. So my main focus should not be on getting more money, but on keeping the non-monetary assets I already have.
17.4.4 Ask if you would want to be a different person
For me this technique has been very helpful. I have applied it as follows: When I am really frustrated with my life situation, I ask if I would be willing to change my “terrible” life with another. I imagine that God would let me give back my life to him and randomly assign me to another body of the same age anywhere else in the world. In that case, I could end up in the body of the happiest person in the world, but also in the body of people much worse off. For me the answer is definitely that I would not want to take that gamble.
In fact, I realize that it is very hard to come up with a person, whom I would want to change my life with. True, some people have some aspects of their life better than me, but then I got many others aspects better than them. So in fact for me personally, not only would I not want to take the gamble to be assigned randomly another person’s life, but also would I have a hard time find anybody, with whom I would want to swap lives!
That tells me that, even though not everything is perfect in my life,it is totally irrational to be unhappy with it.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
Dr. Monegal patient

biggerdreams

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »

Hope you're feeling better and have gotten through your funk! Keep your head up!

Bander72

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »

17 Lower expectations & be content
Being content means that you are satisfied with your life as it is, so you are basically happy. So being content is essential for our happiness. If we are not content with our lives, we will often haves thoughts of dissatisfaction with our situation, jealousy on what others have and obsessions with things we feel we need. All of these thoughts - dissatisfaction, jealousy and obsession- are toxic to our happiness, so it is important to be content to prevent us from getting these negative thoughts.
17.1 The damage to happiness of high expectations
In order to be be content one of the most important things is not to try to achieve more but to lower our expectations of live. By lowering our expectations of what we need in order to be content, we can dramatically increase our happiness.
This realisation came to me when I was reading the book on Cognitive Therapy by David Burns, called “Feeling Good”. While reading the book I saw many examples of people that had been cured from depression by seeing that there negative thoughts about themselves did not make and that they actually did not have to be afraid of their future. I could see how many people would be helped by those techniques, but I was depressed at the time, but none of those techniques seemed to apply to me, since I had a very high self-esteem and had a very positive outlook on the future.
So why was I depressed? I thought that I was:
Very intelligent
Very handsome
Very athletic and fast
Very good academically
But for me it was not enough to be very good; I wanted to be the best and in many cases I actually was the best among my peers. But once I would compare myself to people outside my inner circle of friends, I always would find people who are better than me; some people being more intelligent, some being more handsome, some being more athletic, etc. This is of course is totally natural and no reason to be unsatisified. But my problem was that I would always compare myself to the next better category, so that I would always come short of what i expected, and thus I would be unhappy.
My vision for my future was to build several businesses, become a billionaire and then go into politics and solve the world’s most important problems.
So the assumption of Cognitive Therapy that we become depressed when we are thinking of ourselves worse than we are or that we are very pessimistic about the future, did not seem to hold true because was depressed even though I was very confident and had a very positive outlooks. The reason why I was depressed, was because the bar I had set for myself to be happy, was so high, that I gradually become more and more aware that although I could be very good in many things I would not be the best in everything, and that my grandiose vision was unlikely to be realised.
17.2 Stage of lowering expectations
Lowering expectations is not easy, painful and goes through several stages, as I will illustrate with myself.
17.2.1 Negation
As a teenager, being very confident about my strengths, and finishing university at 19 and having 3 Master degrees and speaking 5 languages at 22, I still felt that I was extremely good and had a grandiose future ahead of me.
Then several things happened, like for example business failures, where I could see my years passing by without me getting closer to the positions that I was expecting to get into. And as I continued to advance to my goals much slower than I had thought, the gap between my reality and between my expectations was widening.
This gap between my expectation and my reality made me stressed and depressed. While I could kind of notice the gap and could see its negative effect, I refused to acknowledge it. 
17.2.2 Realization
One day, while I was walking in nature and thinking about my life, it dawned on me that many of my goals I would never be able to realize and that I just had to accept reality. This was an extremely painful realisation.
17.2.3 Adjustment of expectations
For about one week after the realisation I was very sad, because I had to give up on my life goals and set new more achievable life goals that were much closer to my reality.
17.2.4 Happiness
However, once I had replaced my old glorious, but unattainable vision with a vision of my life that seemed within reach, I could feel how much less burden I had and how much happier I became.
Not only that, but also my motivation increased, because now, even though the new vision did not seem as grandiose, it seemed to be really attainable, so I could sense that by working hard, I would actually get there, while before I could not see a path to my prior vision.
17.3 Hedonic expectations
Later, I learned that there is actually a term for this adjustments in expectation: “hedonic adaptation”. It basically means that it is not important how well off we are in absolute terms but in relative terms to our expectations.
Here are some more examples:
17.3.1 Tsunami
Two fathers go with their son on vacation in Thailand, when suddenly a Tsunami hits. The Tsunamis kills the son of one father, and the other son only has a minor knee injury.
One months later one father and son find out that actually the knee injury is serious, thus they get upset. At the same time the other son is found alive, only with a serious knee injury. The other father is extremely happy. So in summary, both fathers have a son with a serious knee injury but one is sad and the other is happy.
Why do the fathers have different feelings even though their reality is the same? Because one father's reality turned out worse than what he expected, while the others turned out much better than what he expected.
17.3.2 Leg surgery
Two patients have leg surgery. One surgery seems to have gone perfect and the patient is told he will be fine within a month. Then a complication happens and the patients has to return to the hospital. After 3 months more complications happen. But again the prognosis is that in 1 month everything will be fine. But then more complications happen, so that after one year the patient is barely able to walk on crutches.
Another surgery is a complete failure and the patient will be bound to the wheelchair for life. But then he miraculously gradually recovers, so that finally he is able to walk on crutches after one year.
Same situation for both patients; after one year they are able to walk on crutches, but the second patient will feel much happier than the first! Why? Again, because the expectation of the first patient was to be able to walk within a month, and walking on crutches after one years is much worse. But for the second patient, the expectation was to always be wheelchair bound, and being able to walk on crutches is much better than his expectations.
17.4 Techniques to uncover irrationality of expectations
As we have seen above Cognitive Therapy proposes various techniques for the patient to realize that in fact he is not as bad as he thinks, and that there is nothing terrible to worry about. However, as we have also seen, for many of us that are feeling depressed, it is not that we are pessimistic about the future or that we have a low self esteem, but instead we just have too high expectations of ourselves and of our future and therefore it becomes very difficult to be content and thus happy with our life.
Thus I have developed the following techniques for me and other to recognize that we actually have a lot of reason to be content about our life:
Ask if there are people worse off
Rate yourself
Inventory of non-monetary assets
Ask with whom you would want to change
17.4.1 Asking if there are people worse off than you
When have unreasonably high expectations you will be discontent. So for example, if you think you:
Need to be an all A student, but you get one B you will be discontent.
Need to be a billionaire, but are only a millionaire, you will be discontent.
Need to look like a top model, but though you look gorgeous are a little too short to be a model, you will be discontent.
Need to lodge in a 5 star hotel, but only have the money for a 3 star hotel, you will be discontent.
In these cases I have found it to be helpful to ask myself the question:
“Even though I am not satisfied with this aspect of my life, is there anybody, who is worse off?” The answer to this question is always yes!
How many people in the world are likely going to be worse off. The answer to this in most cases “between 60%-90%”.
Thus, I ask myself: “If in a certain aspect of my life, I am better of than the vast majority of people, most of whom are not worried about that aspect, why do I need to be worried? Do I even have a right to be unsatisfied?”
17.4.2 Rate yourself
This “rate yourself” technique is similar to the above technique of asking if other people might be worse of. In this technique you look at the most important aspect of your life and rate yourself compared to people within your circle of friends and within people worldwide.
This might looks something like this:

Circle of Friends
Worldwide
Personal
9.8/10
9.3/10
Intelligence
10/10
10/10
Looks
9/10
10/10
Personality
7/10
8/10
Health
8/10
9/10
Private Life
6.3/10
7.3/10
Friends
5/10
6/10
Love
7/10
8/10
Family
7/10
8/10
Professional Life
5/10
9/10
Wealth
5/10
9/10
Job Satisfaction
5/10
9/10
Status
5/10
9/10

Having finished the above rating and seeing that compared to the world I am in the top 25% percentile in pretty much every aspect and even within my group of friends, a lot of whom are much better of then the world average, I am still comparing very well in most aspects, it makes me wonder what reason I have to be discontent about any aspect.
17.4.3 Make inventory of our non-monetary assets
Making inventory of all our non-monetary assets helps us see that a financial situation that is less than ideal does not influence our overall wealth.
To do this technique we think how much money we would have to be paid to give up any of the following things:
Friends & family         
Father/mother/ sister: How much money would have to receive, if at the same time you would have to lose your mother, your father or your sister, to be the same off. For example, would 1 million USD be enough for you to be willing to lose your mother?
Friends: How much money would you have to receive if that meant losing all your friends?
Wife, children: If you were paid 100,000 USD, would you be willing to let your child die?
Body parts & health condition
Eyesight: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your eyesight? 1 billion USD? Personally, I would not even want to sacrifice it for 1 billion USD.
Hearing: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your hearing?
Arm & legs: For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your arms or your legs?
Being wheelchair bound: For how much money would you be willing to be permanently wheelchair bound?
Memory (Alzheimer): For how much money would you be willing to sacrifice your short-term memory so that you would forget everything as soon as you get to know it?
Diabetes: For how much money would you be willing to accept diabetes?
Personally, for most of the above question I would say there is no money, not even a billion USD, to compensate me for a loss of those intangible assets of mine. But that means , that the cumulative value is many billions, maybe trillions of USD for me. In other words, having 1 million USD more or less is totally irrelevant compared to all the non-monetary assets I already have. So my main focus should not be on getting more money, but on keeping the non-monetary assets I already have.
17.4.4 Ask if you would want to be a different person
For me this technique has been very helpful. I have applied it as follows: When I am really frustrated with my life situation, I ask if I would be willing to change my “terrible” life with another. I imagine that God would let me give back my life to him and randomly assign me to another body of the same age anywhere else in the world. In that case, I could end up in the body of the happiest person in the world, but also in the body of people much worse off. For me the answer is definitely that I would not want to take that gamble.
In fact, I realize that it is very hard to come up with a person, whom I would want to change my life with. True, some people have some aspects of their life better than me, but then I got many others aspects better than them. So in fact for me personally, not only would I not want to take the gamble to be assigned randomly another person’s life, but also would I have a hard time find anybody, with whom I would want to swap lives!
That tells me that, even though not everything is perfect in my life,it is totally irrational to be unhappy with it.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=360&bih=278&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=NXxgWaDkBoOmwQLcw5iYAg&q=too+long+to+read+&oq=too+long+to+read+&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3..41j0j0i30k1j0i24k1l2.2497.4809.0.5461.17.13.0.0.0.0.358.3239.0j1j10j2.13.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-img..13.4.1238.96ss6Ttu2eI#imgrc=JgWtt12AIEH3cM:
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

jojo

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 07:43:19 AM »

Do LL
Get Money
Build your own House
Get a dog
Travel
Eat good food

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »

Well. What are ur plans in life? ur in a LL forum so u want to do LL which means you have plans of continuing and bettering ur life in the future. A truly depressed person wouldn't be focused on LL and would rather wish to cease their existence. I would've already killed myself but i made up my mind that i won't die short.

biggerdreams

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »

Well. What are ur plans in life? ur in a LL forum so u want to do LL which means you have plans of continuing and bettering ur life in the future. A truly depressed person wouldn't be focused on LL and would rather wish to cease their existence. I would've already killed myself but i made up my mind that i won't die short.

Don't ever work for a suicide hotline.
Pages: [1]   Go Up