Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best doctor and method for me?  (Read 1857 times)

EveryCMCounts

• Visitor
Best doctor and method for me?
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »

Hi everyone!

I'm considering limb lengthening, and more specifically on the lower legs. My main concern with femur is the mechanical axis problem. The methods used by Guichet seems to angle the knee slightly wrong? Are there any good alternatives that don't compromises the angle of the knee?

So, if tibial lengthening is the way to go, then the method and finally the doctor is to be decided. I'm considering doing 4-4,5 CM since I think that is enough to make a significant difference but will keep the ratio between my upper and lower legs from becoming far too screwed.

I should add that  I am quite heavy. Muscular by nature  :P . Even when in fairly good shape my weight is about 90 kg. This is likely not a good thing and maybe even something to be considered when choosing the exact method?

Everything considered I'm leaning towards external tibia. My understanding is that there are several versions of this method, where some of them allow for more control. Are there any disadvantages of the methods that provide a large degree of control? I have seen far too many x-rays on this forum of bones that look unsymmetrical or badly shaped. This seems so unnecessary to me.

So, which is the very best doctor in the world for me? Money is not a concern (I'm 33 and have worked hard for this)!!

Current height: 170-180*

*My current height is somewhere between 170 and 180 CM. I prefer not to say exactly at this point in time since some people here seem to have an upper limit that they consider OK for lengthening.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: Best doctor and method for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »

Current height: 170-180*

*My current height is somewhere between 170 and 180 CM. I prefer not to say exactly at this point in time since some people here seem to have an upper limit that they consider OK for lengthening.

Just say you are freakin 5'10 or something and stop screwing around. You wouldn't say something like this if you would be 5'7.

If you want to do tibias go externals, ilizarov or it's variation. Even if they screw up it's easy to fix it on the go.

EveryCMCounts

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »

Just say you are freakin 5'10 or something and stop screwing around. You wouldn't say something like this if you would be 5'7.

Sorry, I really don't mean to offend anyone! Hope we can stay on the topic from now on.

Sibirsky

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »

Hey man yeah I think even you notice the double standards in terms of height there are on this forum.
176 cm before
184 cm after
-Walking, squatting, jogging slowly but not yet running
-Advocate of average height people wanting to be taller

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »

If money is not an obstacle, go to Dr. Paley

EveryCMCounts

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »

If money is not an obstacle, go to Dr. Paley

Definitely a doctor on the shortlist, but he does internal tibias, right? My impression is as stated before that external might be better as it comes to end results.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

Sorry, I really don't mean to offend anyone! Hope we can stay on the topic from now on.

You didn't offend, i was just pointing that out.

Definitely a doctor on the shortlist, but he does internal tibias, right? My impression is as stated before that external might be better as it comes to end results.

Honestly depends on where are you living since externals are pretty easy to do because it's the most basic method.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »

Hey man yeah I think even you notice the double standards in terms of height there are on this forum.

What double standards? considering the original target of LL was dwarves and then this extended to healthy short people (which is understandable to some point). It is obvious people will have a lot to say about people of average height doing this kind of surgery.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »

The mechanical axis "problem" which according to a study I read from Paley is not really a problem is because of the fact that when doing internal femur lengthening you lengthen across the anatomical axis. So this is not a Guichet problem but rather something that happens due to the inherent principle of internal femur lengthening with all doctors. Then again as I told you for Paley it does not have an important impact.

If I were you with your starting height I would target 6-7 cm max internal femurs with Dr Paley or Dr Rozbruch. Faster recovery, easy in easy out. Nonetheless, if you are so afraid of this mechanical axis problem, do external femurs with the newer external devices for a reduced price, but increased recovery time.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

EveryCMCounts

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Thank you everyone for your answers!

Suggestions include Dr Paley for internal thighs or tibias or Dr Rozbruch for internal.

But who are the absolut best doctors for externa tibias? After what I have seen I still consider external tibias to be the safest way to lengthen 4-5 cm with as little long time adverse effects as possible. Is this wrong?
Pages: [1]   Go Up