Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed on LL  (Read 1345 times)

GOODLUCK

• Visitor
Advice needed on LL
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »

Hey guys! I have been visiting this forum from time to time but this is officially my very first thread. A few facts about myself:
24 male Asian
Current height: 166-167cm
Target height: around 175cm
I have been going back and forth and reconsidered if it's a wise decision to undergo the surgery due to the misgivings about the consequences. Yet I do believe that I am well "qualified" for LL (come on! i am below average even in Asia!) and I know the huge difference that 8-9cm could bring to me in terms of confidence or even self-esteem, sadly. I am still saving for the expensive surgery and i have other priorities in my life at this point of time. I would probably start LL in two years and meanwhile, would really want to learn more about the surgery itself to be better informed. I need some advice from your guys:

Suppose i have about two years to spare out of my career and devote the two yrs to the surgery. Which plan seems better?
1) Doing 8-9cm with internal method on Femur (i do know the current limit of height gain for precise is 8cm and I would still be happy if i can get full 8cm)
2) Doing ~5cm with internal method on femur and ~4cm on tibia with external method

1) allows me to possibly achieve height gain with one single surgery and conceivably is less traumatic while 2) theoretically promises better recovery in each segment but i am not very sure if two yrs is enough.

Cost-wise, i haven't sorted it out but luckily i have still about two yrs to think about that. But just one thought, going for 1) with paley would probably cost as much as, say, going 2) with Birkholtz/Parihar and Catagni if I got the math right. I do know Paley is probably the most experienced but the other option also seems to make sense to me.

google42

Re: Advice needed on LL
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »

I think option 2) would be better for proportions but the cost and recovery time is a major drawback. Option 1) seems good too. Personally if I ever do ll then I'll probably only do 7-8cm on femurs to get it over with. Doing two surgeries seems like such a big hassle to me. I'm  actually around the same height as you too.

biggerdreams

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:52:11 PM »

Just weigh your options between what you're willing to give up in terms of cost, time, biomechanics; versus what you'll be happy with. Will you be happy with 5cm?

GOODLUCK

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »

Nope. Let's say if I spend 100k plus to go with Paley, I would want 7~8cm. 5cm just doesn't justify the cost.

GOODLUCK

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:50:43 AM »

I would be happy with 7~8 cm also. But the major concern is that even Paley can't guarantee that amount. Still quite a number of his patients failed to gain a full 7~8cm.

biggerdreams

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »

Then that answers your question. But would you be willing to add the risk of more operations on multiple segments?

GOODLUCK

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:51:58 AM »

But as i said, i would be happy with 7-8cm, which is still noble with one single surgery. If it's worth a shot to go for 7-8cm with one surgery, i would take it. If not, I wouldn't mind two surgeries actually. And the fact that you would only need to lengthen 4-5 cm for each segment kind of compensates and hedge the risks. So it's hard to say which option is "riskier".
Pages: [1]   Go Up