Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is really safer to lenghten more, Tibias or Femurs?  (Read 1549 times)

llendpoint

Which is really safer to lenghten more, Tibias or Femurs?
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

I found this source.

https://www.screencast.com/t/2DyXnqbea

I don't know what the "ern" means after each of these numbers. But it's evident that is considered much more safer to lenghten Tibias way more than Femurs.

I have also heard at least one from a member of a LL clinic that you can lengthen the Tibias way more than Femurs.

Here in this forum I hear the opposite.

Is it because the majority is that unflexible that it's because of that THEY can't lengthen the Tibias more, so they conclude Tibias can't be lengthened much further?

Body Builder

Re: Which is really safer to lenghten more, Tibias or Femurs?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »

Of course you can't lengthen the tibias more than femurs due to soft tissues.
With femurs the only thing that limits lengthening is IT band which most doctors cut without much problems.
With tibias after 6cm achilles tendon becomes too tight and after 1-2 cm more it is almost impossible to stretch it to 0 degrees without atl surgery, which is the worst thing you can do.

So bones is not a problem, except from the differemce in biomechanics of course which won't let you even have a normal gait if you lengthen too much, but soft tissues are. And at is much more important than itb in functioning.

biggerdreams

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »

Of course you can't lengthen the tibias more than femurs due to soft tissues.
With femurs the only thing that limits lengthening is IT band which most doctors cut without much problems.
With tibias after 6cm achilles tendon becomes too tight and after 1-2 cm more it is almost impossible to stretch it to 0 degrees without atl surgery, which is the worst thing you can do.

So bones is not a problem, except from the differemce in biomechanics of course which won't let you even have a normal gait if you lengthen too much, but soft tissues are. And at is much more important than itb in functioning.

So there isn't much of a side effect for IT band release?

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:26:57 PM »

So there isn't much of a side effect for IT band release?
As far as I know, no.
But even if there was, it is not so crucial as the length of the achilles tendon which should be not altered at all costs.
Itb just makes knee a little more stable, at is responsible for all the movements of the leg and all the athletic and everyday functioning.
So of course at is way more important than itb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up