Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LATN and LON, what happens after removing external frames?  (Read 1263 times)

rami

LATN and LON, what happens after removing external frames?
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »

When the externals are removed in LATN and LON, what happens exactly, do we need a wheelchair or crutches? and for how long?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:38:47 PM by rami »

rami

Re: LATN and LON, what happens after removing external frames?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

I asked some doctors via email, they said i can walk with crutches directly after external removal, and 3 months from that i can have no support or limitations.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »

LON (lengthening over nail)
You can walk without crutches after frame removal/locking the nail, provided that you're not too heavy and that the nail and screws used are stable enough.
Only your doctor can tell you this.

LATN (lengthening and then nailing)
Basically the same as LON, but the second surgery is much bigger, so you probably won't be able to walk without crutches for same time.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

rami

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »

You can walk without crutches after frame removal/locking the nail, provided that you're not too heavy and that the nail and screws used are stable enough.

Basically the same as LON, but the second surgery is much bigger, so you probably won't be able to walk without crutches for same time.

I asked somehow a similar question here: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4738.0

However no one said that LON and LATN allow weight bearing after lengthening.

rami

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »

I cant understand, there is somehow contradiction is some answers, they say that i can walk without support after 6/7 months using LON/ LATN, at the same time you said that i can can walk without crutches after frame removal/locking the nail ((which is 2.5 to 3 months post operation). Please advise..

Chris

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »

Look, if you don't believe me, there is no reason for me to keep replying to your (sometimes very basic) questions.
I'm not making things up. Never.
I only say what I know and what I have actually done myself, regardless of what other users add to my comments.

I got rods from Smith&Nephew shoved down my bones for a reason.
I'm having the smallest diameter inside me which is 8.3mm and they are weight-bearing @ ~60kg body-weight.
I later had the screws from the same manufacturer put in to lock the nail. This was in Germany, and even the glory German doctors allowed me to walk unsupported.
You're just not allowed to run, jump and carry heavy stuff around which should be self-explanatory.
And there are even thicker versions of those nails available if you're a >180cm giant or fat.
They messed up one of my legs in India, but at least I made sure that they only used good brands and materials.

I'm a real LL-patient.

rami

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »

Thanks for the explaination, and do not get me wrong please I did not say that I do not believe you. If that was the case I would clearly say that there is no need to be shy or hide things specially that we are chatting from behind the internet.

I believe what you are saying, but I am confused from other answers - by body builder. I asked what are the methods that allow weight bearing immediately after lengthening and he answered illzarov and Abiza.

So I wonder why he did not mention LON and LATN, and why doctors say after 6/7 months we can have full weight bearing, is it a precaution, or do they want to manage expectation in case healing was not average or is it really that dependant on the manufacturer, and can I ask them to choose different manufacturer. - so basically all of these Hingis are making me confused.

Chris

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »

The problem is this:
No manufacturer for trauma nails would ever mention numbers openly to avoid getting sued by patients if anything happened.
Instead, thy just write things like "Orthofix quality" in their descriptions and you, as a patient, can only rely on the experience of the doctors who have to work with those products on a daily basis. Some doctors just don't know exactly or are very careful.
Most LLers (me included) just repeat what their own doctors have told them, and it can be contradicting, because of the aforementioned reasons.

I have two photos for you, showing every number and barcode of every trauma nail and screw from Smith&Nephew used during my surgery.
Now you know the facts from my experience and also have something you can verify with your doctors.
Weight-bearing nails @ ~60kg body-weight and after so many month my legs are still straight. That's all I can do.

I'm a real LL-patient.

rami

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »

The problem is this:
No manufacturer for trauma nails would ever mention numbers openly to avoid getting sued by patients if anything happened.
Instead, thy just write things like "Orthofix quality" in their descriptions and you, as a patient, can only rely on the experience of the doctors who have to work with those products on a daily basis. Some doctors just don't know exactly or are very careful.
Most LLers (me included) just repeat what their own doctors have told them, and it can be contradicting, because of the aforementioned reasons.

I have two photos for you, showing every number and barcode of every trauma nail and screw from Smith&Nephew used during my surgery.
Now you know the facts from my experience and also have something you can verify with your doctors.
Weight-bearing nails @ ~60kg body-weight and after so many month my legs are still straight. That's all I can do.

Thank you Chris, how much does these nails cost?

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »

Thanks for the explaination, and do not get me wrong please I did not say that I do not believe you. If that was the case I would clearly say that there is no need to be shy or hide things specially that we are chatting from behind the internet.

I believe what you are saying, but I am confused from other answers - by body builder. I asked what are the methods that allow weight bearing immediately after lengthening and he answered illzarov and Abiza.

So I wonder why he did not mention LON and LATN, and why doctors say after 6/7 months we can have full weight bearing, is it a precaution, or do they want to manage expectation in case healing was not average or is it really that dependant on the manufacturer, and can I ask them to choose different manufacturer. - so basically all of these Hingis are making me confused.

I think BB made a mistake. Albizzia and some external fixators are weight bearing with crutches immediately after surgery that means day post op 1. LON, LATN, Fitbone and Precise are partial weight bearing. You are allowed walking with crutches after some months have passed depending on the bone formation. You are correct in that with LON and LATN you can walk with crutches after distraction period given that your bone formation is good and stable enough to withstand mobility.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient
Pages: [1]   Go Up