Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small dual LL vs Big one segment LL  (Read 426 times)

FDR101

Small dual LL vs Big one segment LL
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »

Hello LL community,

I've been wondering for some time on whether a dual segment LL with small increases is better for the body than a single segment LL with a big increase.

As an example:

If one wanted to lengthen 7-8 cm's, would the body adapt better to small increases in both tibia and femur rather one big increase in femur or tibia.

Furthering the example: Lets go with 7 cm's, would the body adapt better to 3 cm increase in Tibia and 4 cm increase in Femur instead of a big increase of 7 cm in Femur alone?

The drawbacks of this I can see is: 1. Three bones are broken 2. Two surgerys are necessary (more cost) 3. Longer recovery time 4. Bigger risk of developing Fat Embolism? 5. Risk of developing knee pain with Tibia? 6. Higher risk of something going wrong?

However the positives: 1. Smaller soft tissue stretched in one segment 2. Better body mechanics as natural Tibia/Femur ratio is kept

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Also does anyone know if the risk of developing fat embolism is reduced by lengthening less, or whether it is the actual fracturing of the bones that does it.

/FDR
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:56:45 PM by FDR101 »

Shorty94

• Visitor
Re: Small dual LL vs Big one segment LL
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

Its much safer to lengthen less each leg for sure. Most people dont do it because of finance and time like you mentioned.

But if you do wish to do that, i feel would do at least 5cm to make it worthwhile and still within super safe range with a good dr.
Pages: [1]   Go Up