Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Walking weird after surgery" <- Question/concern  (Read 1293 times)

jakejake98

"Walking weird after surgery" <- Question/concern
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

Hello guys, I read some post about 'hiding the surgery', and a reply was something along that it will be hard to hide to people who already know you because you'll start walking weird and be taller? I think for me since I would be going first from 170 to 176.5) at around the age of 18 (femur 6.5 cm) then a year later when I'm 19, I'll be having 6.5cm in my Tibia, I'll be able to 'hide it'? I only plan on having my parents know about it and possibly other close family relatives. But since I'd probably do the surgery below the age of 20, people might think I had a late growth spurt - because they exist, my dad went from 168 to 180 from the age of 18 to 19, and I'm hoping that would happen to me, but chances are very low, but since I'm only 16 I'll do my best to achieve the few cms I might be able to achieve.

But I'm concerned, I'd be doing the surgery with Dr Paley, but walking weird? Is that a factor of the surgery? Would I be "walking weird"? I understand not recovering athletically 100%, but impact in my walking? Like let's say a year after surgery, can't I just walk as I used to walk before? Let me know, thanks guys.

I understand a change in walk due to longer legs, but the word 'weirdly' makes it seem as if I'll be walking like a handicapped person, and that really dismotivates me, because I'm ready for the pain, some Long term consequences as well, the one that concerned me most was not being able to do sports as before, but I can live with that, but walking weird is a thing in everyone's daily life...

Also guys: Would a person who broke both of their tibias and femurs also not recover athletically 100%? Like I'm not new to the concept of LL, but is it due to the stretching of the bone that recovery in sports is not 100% and long-term effects are available? Because broken bones in theory heal up 'stronger' but with LL it seems the opposite, and I'm actually very ready for the surgery but if I'll be walking noticeably weirdly, it will dismotivaye me and a lot of people. Jogging and running is one factor, but walking? I can live with different running, but not walking.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:47:46 PM by jakejake98 »

ramaka

Re: "Walking weird after surgery" <- Question/concern
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:03 PM »

i think it all depends on your recovery if you have a good group of people helping you recover then there should be no problem there are videos of people running and walking without a problem after LL surgery.

Also a lot of people on this forum have had LL and they haven't said anything has happened with how they walk the only thing i can really think of happening is that you might lose some of your athletic ability for example running you might not have the explosive burst of speed anymore.

other then that i can't really see anything major happening to you so all in all you want to lengthen 13 cm to be a total of 6ft on the button something similar to me i want to lengthen 10.5 cm to be 188 cm tall 6'2 5.5cm in tibs and 5.0 in femur.

Datum

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »

There isn't one answer for this. If you don't get complications you will be walking normally in some years. Some people never recover. It's well documented in the forums.
Banned: Using Multiple Accounts (Datum)

MirinHeight

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »

-depends on how much you lengthen
-depends on how good and experienced your doctor is so he can fix misalignments

Most complications occur due to very high lengthening amount per segment or bad surgeon. I advise ~6 cm max on femur and 4.5 cm max on tibia.

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Moon knight

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »

-depends on how much you lengthen
-depends on how good and experienced your doctor is so he can fix misalignments

I always assumed it was like 6cm for both segments

Most complications occur due to very high lengthening amount per segment or bad surgeon. I advise ~6 cm max on femur and 4.5 cm max on tibia.
It’s not a surgery for the faint hearted if you do it your stronger then you really believe
Pages: [1]   Go Up