Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PRECICE UNYTE Cobalt Chrome (PRECICE v3.0)  (Read 29579 times)

dan56

• Visitor
Re: STRYDE patient
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2018, 03:36:30 AM »

Talked with the STRYDE patient again today. Two weeks after the surgery, he's walking with crutches.
How would the removal will go with this cobalt thing?
wouldn't it be a problem to separate it from the bone?
can you ask paley/patient?
thx
also, does the nail has new features and advantages on the precice 2?
English isn't my native language. Please feel free when you quote me to add a footnote with correction. Tnx

fokid

Re: PRECICE UNYTE Cobalt Chrome (PRECICE v3.0)
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2018, 05:55:06 AM »

i think this is unknown at this point. cobalt chrome nails are not traditionally used as im nails. paley usually publishes a paper after every nail after 2 years after introduction. i guess we will know in 2 years.

the biggest new feature of the nail is being weight bearing of course.

dan56

• Visitor
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2018, 07:04:28 AM »

I think if that's the only improvement than it might not worth the money and time waiting.
as a few Drs said in the past (parihar among them) the problem in walking in the lengthening phase is not due capability of weight bear. the problem is due the compression of the bone.
I can't understand so how any kind of material will solve it. Dr. always recommended not to walk even when the nail could have handled the weight.
And not knowing how successful (if any) will be the removal is kind of terrifying as we know how hard is for now to separate it from the bone.
(considering myself cll with precice and not sure if i should wait)
English isn't my native language. Please feel free when you quote me to add a footnote with correction. Tnx

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
PRECICE STRYDE
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2018, 02:37:55 AM »

STRYDE is made of stainless steel. The cobalt nail you've probably read about is the UNYTE, which seems to have been withdrawn (? - the 3rd post in this thread had a link to https://www.nuvasive.com/procedures/featured-offerings/precice-unyte/, which no longer works, and all the current PR mentions "STRYDE", not UNYTE).

I think if that's the only improvement than it might not worth the money and time waiting.

I think you're right... if you want to be handicapped in a wheelchair for 4-6 miserable months in exchange for $5k (the price difference between STRYDE and PRECICE).

as a few Drs said in the past (parihar among them) the problem in walking in the lengthening phase is not due capability of weight bear. the problem is due the compression of the bone.

That doesn't make any sense. I've seen the STRYDE patient with my own eyes. He is waking with crutches and can stand without any aids. In fact, I can also stand for a limited time with the PRECICE nails, as long as the nails are stacked vertically.

And not knowing how successful (if any) will be the removal is kind of terrifying as we know how hard is for now to separate it from the bone.
(considering myself cll with precice and not sure if i should wait)

What exactly terrifies you about the removal of a stainless steel intramedullary nail?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

dan56

• Visitor
Re: PRECICE STRYDE
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2018, 03:56:40 AM »

STRYDE is made of stainless steel. The cobalt nail you've probably read about is the UNYTE, which seems to have been withdrawn (? - the 3rd post in this thread had a link to https://www.nuvasive.com/procedures/featured-offerings/precice-unyte/, which no longer works, and all the current PR mentions "STRYDE", not UNYTE).

I think you're right... if you want to be handicapped in a wheelchair for 4-6 miserable months in exchange for $5k (the price difference between STRYDE and PRECICE).

That doesn't make any sense. I've seen the STRYDE patient with my own eyes. He is waking with crutches and can stand without any aids. In fact, I can also stand for a limited time with the PRECICE nails, as long as the nails are stacked vertically.

What exactly terrifies you about the removal of a stainless steel intramedullary nail?

I mean Dr. Parihar is mentioning it a lot- that the problem with weight bearing is not the material strength but the compression of the bone due to gravity. Again just to be clear- I'm not mentioning it as absolute facts, I'm just trying to understand like you.

As these are the things most of the Professionals surgeons said so far, I'm just raising the questions to have better understanding.  The fear from that it stainless steel- is again not due to deep understand of the materials I'm not an expert in this field. The fear is due to the fact that the removal of the precice 2 was complicated enough as it hard to pull it from the bone. So that being made from an harder material just reminds me that disney story of Excalibur. king arthur doesn't perform limb lengthening right? again I'm just trying to understand if i better wait for next year for it to arrive other surgeons or just go with precice 2. And just remember that waiting for the next year (and maybe even 2 years) would not be enough to be sure that the removal is not a problem. and go ahead and wait for this man to remove his nails.....

Edit:
just saw your comment on another thread about the stryde patient. so you are right but i still would like to get some answers about these stuff as it was big concern till few months ago.
How did they manage to overcome the problem with weight bearing in the lengthening phase?

fokid

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »

if stryde is stainless steel, it might be "easier" to remove it compared to titanium nails. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5767899/

stainless steel has less bone contact than titanium apparently.

dan56

• Visitor
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2018, 04:36:03 AM »

Tnx man.
well this is big thing as much as weight bearing.

dan56

• Visitor
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2018, 01:51:11 AM »

anyone knows other estimated times for other Drs than dimitrios to receive stryde?
like Dr. parihar and others

TemakiSushi

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »

anyone knows other estimated times for other Drs than dimitrios to receive stryde?
like Dr. parihar and others

look into this article;

Next launch steps include partnering with leading global limb lengthening surgeons to demonstrate cosmetic stature lengthening viability with plans for a limited launch in mid-2018 and the product more broadly available in 2019.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nuvasive-precice-stryde-system-used-in-first-patient-for-stature-lengthening-by-international-limb-lengthening-expert-300652375.html
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

dan56

• Visitor
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »

yeah i saw that.
I meant if specific drs said dates about them getting stryde.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »

yeah i saw that.
I meant if specific drs said dates about them getting stryde.

I asked Dr Donghoon and told me;
 it will probably be released next year in korea but not for sure, in any cases, donghoon will be the first to have stryde in asia.

why not email dr parihar?

Time4LL

« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:34 PM »

How much time do you think one would need to be off work to have this procedure done with Stryde? I am thinking if you could lengthen at home you probably would only need to be off work for about a month to recover from the initial surgery. What are other people’s thoughts?

« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »

How much time do you think one would need to be off work to have this procedure done with Stryde? I am thinking if you could lengthen at home you probably would only need to be off work for about a month to recover from the initial surgery. What are other people’s thoughts?

+1 , I have same question

TemakiSushi

« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

I think it is depends on what type of work you do.
If you only work at office which does not require too much walking and standing, maybe less than a month is possible.
But if your job require physical strength it could be much longer even more than 6 months until get a complete consolidation.

I work at my own office or home, so I initially planned to come back to my country after 10 days or less, but after reading a case with a severe infection even with internal method (masterhy's diary), I thought I would be better to be hospitalized for at least a few weeks just to be sure for not having infection or other complications.

OverrideYourGenetics

STRYDE
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »

I work at my own office or home, so I initially planned to come back to my country after 10 days or less, but after reading a case with a severe infection even with internal method (masterhy's diary), I thought I would be better to be hospitalized for at least a few weeks just to be sure for not having infection or other complications.

You won't be "hospitalized" per se, but staying close to the hospital does help. The first STRYDE patient can definitely walk around an office 3 weeks post-surgery, and that's generally also when the pain starts to seriously diminish.

However, you need to keep in mind that some doctors may not permit taking the NuVasive lengthening device home, because they want you to do PT at their clinic. In that case, you should budget for about three months off work, if you can't work remotely.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Time4LL

« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2018, 12:33:59 AM »

How do you think the walking would look after three weeks? Would it be very noticeable that something happened? Have you seen or talked to this patient again? How is he doing?

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »

How do you think the walking would look after three weeks? Would it be very noticeable that something happened?

I left Homewood Suites exactly three weeks after the STRYDE patient's femurs surgery. He was walking slowly with crutches.

Have you seen or talked to this patient again? How is he doing?

Yes, see earlier in the thread.

FormerKidd

Re: STRYDE
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2018, 04:22:31 AM »

However, you need to keep in mind that some doctors may not permit taking the NuVasive lengthening device home, because they want you to do PT at their clinic. In that case, you should budget for about three months off work, if you can't work remotely.

During the time you're lengthening, you generally have to do that multiple times a day plus do stretches multiple times a day, AND you have to deal with pain, aching, swelling, .etc that can make it difficult to concentrate.  For the reasons, staff at the Paley Institute told me not to expect to be able to work full time, even remotely, during lengthening, and I think that advice is probably accurate for a lot of people.

AlwaysLivin

• Visitor
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:15 AM »

Hi,

What is the recovery time for Stryde 3? Can I lengthen and return to work 16 days later? I don't mind walking with assistance, just need to sit at office job.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2018, 05:11:22 AM »

You won't be "hospitalized" per se, but staying close to the hospital does help. The first STRYDE patient can definitely walk around an office 3 weeks post-surgery, and that's generally also when the pain starts to seriously diminish.

Thank you very much!!!
I'm glad to know the pain is supposed to diminish 3 weeks post surgery.

so far, I'm planning to do stryde with dr donghoon in korea and he has told me it's possible to go home in japan with the ERC, the remote controller, after a few weeks post op.
it is also possible to be hospitalized for 3 months or more since his new clinic supposed to have a fancy inpatient facility, which I kinda looking forward to seeing it... ;D

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:58:24 AM by chibi »

Petite888

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »

Thank you very much!!!
I'm glad to know the pain is supposed to diminish 3 weeks post surgery.

so far, I'm planning to do stryde with dr donghoon in korea and he has told me it's possible to go home in japan with the ERC, the remote controller, after a few weeks post op.
it is also possible to be hospitalized for 3 months or more since his new clinic supposed to have a fancy inpatient facility, which I kinda looking forward to seeing it... ;D

Hi Chibi,

I also asked about STRYDE but have yet to receive a reply. Does Donghoon know when he expects to be able to use it?

TemakiSushi

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »

Hi Chibi,

I also asked about STRYDE but have yet to receive a reply. Does Donghoon know when he expects to be able to use it?

His clinic is supposed to open this week , so maybe that's why he is toooo busy...

He still doesn't know or cannot disclose the availability of STRYDE in Korea yet as of the last month.
However, as I have read about the answer from the Greek doctor that the stryde should be released next January in Greece, I expect similar time span in Korea, but not for sure.

FYI, when precice2 was released in 2013,  it was released also in Korea only a few months after US,  according to the news release articles and LL diary.

short2tall

« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »

I had a check up with Dr. Mahboubian today and I asked him if he will be using the Stryde nail in the future. He said he will be getting it at some point but he is not sure exactly when. He also added that he would need to see several successful cases of patients fully weight bearing while using Stryde before he would be comfortable letting his patients ditch the walker altogether during lengthening. With that being said, I think its probably going to be a little while before we see Dr's other than Paley using the new nail.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:46 PM »

I had a check up with Dr. Mahboubian today and I asked him if he will be using the Stryde nail in the future. He said he will be getting it at some point but he is not sure exactly when. He also added that he would need to see several successful cases of patients fully weight bearing while using Stryde before he would be comfortable letting his patients ditch the walker altogether during lengthening.

See as in examine? I talked with a STRYDE patient walking with crutches 1 week post op, and there are about 5 STRYDE patients at the Paley Institute now. He should take a trip there (5-6 hour flight from SoCal) and see them doing PT.

Johnson1111

« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:07 PM »

See as in examine? I talked with a STRYDE patient walking with crutches 1 week post op, and there are about 5 STRYDE patients at the Paley Institute now. He should take a trip there (5-6 hour flight from SoCal) and see them doing PT.

Thanks for your response to my question the other day.

Anyway, do you think STRYDE is safe to do in 2019 internationally? Or would you be less prone to trust the international docs until they have a more proven track record with it?

Zeo

« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »

Thanks for your response to my question the other day.

Anyway, do you think STRYDE is safe to do in 2019 internationally? Or would you be less prone to trust the international docs until they have a more proven track record with it?

That’s something I’ve been thinking about too, I figured that the technique for inserting an iintramedullary nail has stated the same it’s jsut the nail Itself that’s changed. Like precice v1 vs precice v2. Idk though it’s a good question. Hopefully anyone that can insert a nail should be able to insert stryde. Id definitely like to hear paleys or nuvasives thoughts on this
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Zeo

« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2018, 03:18:41 AM »

Sorry for the typos and grammer I was driving lol :P
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

short2tall

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:50 AM »

I guess I meant he would just to verify that patients have gone through the new process successfully. I think we are all (including other doctors) unsure of the pros/cons of the Stryde nail. So are the Stryde patients required to use crutches the whole time?
Shooting for 5'11"

OverrideYourGenetics

STRYDE - no crutches after 4 weeks
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »

So are the Stryde patients required to use crutches the whole time?

No. The STRYDE patient I met can walk without crutches now (4 weeks post femurs, 3cm of lengthening) but he's still using crutches to be safe.

Honore

Re: STRYDE - no crutches after 4 weeks
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »

No. The STRYDE patient I met can walk without crutches now (4 weeks post femurs, 3cm of lengthening) but he's still using crutches to be safe.

4 weeks post op and able to walk unaided? That is fantastic news...

short2tall

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »

That is fantastic to hear. That truly does make this device a game changer. I almost wish I would have waited for Stryde! So I guess the use of crutches during lengthening with Stryde is equivalent to the use of crutches with Precice 2.2 once cleared to weight bear 3-5 weeks post-lengthening. Many people use crutches for reassurance while others (such as myself) avoid them completely.
Shooting for 5'11"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up