Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ShortLivesMatter Internal Femurs w/ Dr. Rozbruch 8/22/17  (Read 25902 times)

ShortLivesMatter

Re: ShortLivesMatter Internal Femurs w/ Dr. Rozbruch 8/22/17
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »

Walking is back to normal now after a week.  Was at a party last night and after standing for about 3 hours, the legs started getting a bit tired but not a big deal. The incision sites still hurt if I put pressure on it but that should go away soon. I honestly thought the removal surgery would be a bigger deal but thankfully Dr. Rozbruch is the best at what he does. 

I did ask him if the STRYDE 10mm nail was available yet and he again said that Nuvasive was still testing some things and it was available but not readily available? I think Dr. Rozbruch is a very conservative doctor and he is waiting a little bit to see more results from the new STRYDE nail. He recommended that I wait til the spring to do my tibias and let Nuvasive work out all the kinks of the new nail. I have a follow up appt with him next week and will ask him if any of his patients are using any of the STRYDE nails yet. 

As for insurance, as I have explained before, there is the surgeon fees and the hospital fees. If you have insurance, there is a good chance the hospital fees should be covered as it is not voluntary, the other patients have experienced the same.  For the surgeon fees, insurance "might" cover a small portion of it but that amount won't be the deciding factor whether you want to go through with it or not.  Again tho I have to STRESS that you have to be prepared to cover all expenses in case insurance covers nothing.  I don't think you can know before hand how much it will cost you until after the surgery and the claims are submitted. 

Kenda

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2018, 10:27:58 PM »

Hi SLM , i was wondering from which surgery exactly did you get those scars from ?? Is it the precice 2 ??
Also do you have an idea about the cost of Dr Rozburch 9mm Stryde nail on femurs ??
I was planning to do it after a year

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »

Yes I got the scars from Precise 2. It is not surprising tho as I am asian and prone to scarring. I will get the scars fixed later on.  I don't think there's a 9mm nail coming out. I think Dr. Rozbruch misspoke when he said that there was one as the last convo I had with him he said there was a 10mm one. I have an appt with him tomorrow so I will double check.  As for the cost I figure it should be the same as the current Precise 2 cost with an additional 5k for the new STRYDE nail like Paley is charging. 

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »

Had my apt yesterday and got the stitches removed. Dr R confirmed that the smallest Stryde nail is 10mm. He is having his first Stryde patient in the next couple of weeks. I am tentatively doing my tibias with the 10mm next year in feb/march.

shortykon

• Visitor
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2018, 01:01:59 AM »

Thanks for your answers and updates SLM!

I almost missed the point that you are an Asian; I am also an Asian too!  ;)

I will be meeting with Dr. Rozbruch next month for my initial consultation appointment. Great to know that doctor is finally using Stryde on patients! I am actually planning to have my femur surgery at around the same time like you planned for your upcoming one at around Feb/March too! Maybe we can meet if everything goes smoothly on my side! wow!

I know I am dreaming big here, but I hope to discuss with the doctor on the possibility to claim my whole surgery as a treatment for short stature due to thalassemia minor, which unfortunately I was born with. The only thing worrying me is the cost/insurance. If I am lucky to have my insurance covering that much of the expenses like you had, then I am at a pretty sweet spot.

raheemb1

• Visitor
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:41 AM »

Hey man! Any updates on how your walking is now or any pain since you got the nail removed?

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2018, 10:56:23 PM »

Thanks for your answers and updates SLM!

I almost missed the point that you are an Asian; I am also an Asian too!  ;)

I will be meeting with Dr. Rozbruch next month for my initial consultation appointment. Great to know that doctor is finally using Stryde on patients! I am actually planning to have my femur surgery at around the same time like you planned for your upcoming one at around Feb/March too! Maybe we can meet if everything goes smoothly on my side! wow!

I know I am dreaming big here, but I hope to discuss with the doctor on the possibility to claim my whole surgery as a treatment for short stature due to thalassemia minor, which unfortunately I was born with. The only thing worrying me is the cost/insurance. If I am lucky to have my insurance covering that much of the expenses like you had, then I am at a pretty sweet spot.

Good luck man, yeah maybe we can get together sometime in the spring haha.  Yeah there was someone in here who got to do it for under $40k with Dr. R as they had some condition.  But you can never count on that, always have to go in with the mindset that you might have to shell out $100k. 

Hey man! Any updates on how your walking is now or any pain since you got the nail removed?

Walking is perfectly fine but it was already that way before the nail removal. Running tho has improved, feels more natural now. And the one minor pain that I still felt when laying on my side and putting pressure on the rod is now completely gone after they were taken out.  I definitely recommend removing them.  I am now just bidding my time until the spring when I can return to do the tibia, it's going to be a long winter haha.

shortykon

• Visitor
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2018, 03:38:44 AM »

Good luck man, yeah maybe we can get together sometime in the spring haha.  Yeah there was someone in here who got to do it for under $40k with Dr. R as they had some condition.  But you can never count on that, always have to go in with the mindset that you might have to shell out $100k. 

Walking is perfectly fine but it was already that way before the nail removal. Running tho has improved, feels more natural now. And the one minor pain that I still felt when laying on my side and putting pressure on the rod is now completely gone after they were taken out.  I definitely recommend removing them.  I am now just bidding my time until the spring when I can return to do the tibia, it's going to be a long winter haha.

Thanks for the blessing, SLM.

Just met with Dr. Rozbruch (along with Dr. Zach) for the first time today. Woah can't believe I am doing this step by step! I might eventually start my own diary once I have every details of my surgery consolidated.

So something worth sharing now is that Dr. R is very conservative in terms of the what Styrde Nail brings to the table (or that I have too high of expectations of it..) He said that it is very unlikely I will be able to go back to work in a normal manner after a month past surgery, which I was expecting to do, since it is a desktop job. He said I might be able to walk with crutches maybe after 6 weeks or so. He explains that all the difference that Styrde Nail makes is simply being more of a guarantor that wear-bearing would no longer be an issue to the process, but in terms of your ability to walk by just relying on the rod, it is still really tough due to many factors.

Something more of my personal side is that after I asked and explained to Dr. R regarding to my condition with thalassemia, they believe it is definitely worth a shot to put that into the insurance claim for the surgery. He didn't know about thalassemia having connections height stature/height growth, and so he asked me to send a few medical articles to him (and Dr. Zach) to go over and put that into the file. Hopefully this goes well!

hotty

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2018, 03:56:26 AM »

can you post x-ray pics when you had the nail and when you got them out? I am trying to see how intact the bone looks after removal after all the reaming, etc

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »

Thanks for the blessing, SLM.

Just met with Dr. Rozbruch (along with Dr. Zach) for the first time today. Woah can't believe I am doing this step by step! I might eventually start my own diary once I have every details of my surgery consolidated.

So something worth sharing now is that Dr. R is very conservative in terms of the what Styrde Nail brings to the table (or that I have too high of expectations of it..) He said that it is very unlikely I will be able to go back to work in a normal manner after a month past surgery, which I was expecting to do, since it is a desktop job. He said I might be able to walk with crutches maybe after 6 weeks or so. He explains that all the difference that Styrde Nail makes is simply being more of a guarantor that wear-bearing would no longer be an issue to the process, but in terms of your ability to walk by just relying on the rod, it is still really tough due to many factors.

Something more of my personal side is that after I asked and explained to Dr. R regarding to my condition with thalassemia, they believe it is definitely worth a shot to put that into the insurance claim for the surgery. He didn't know about thalassemia having connections height stature/height growth, and so he asked me to send a few medical articles to him (and Dr. Zach) to go over and put that into the file. Hopefully this goes well!

Haha Dr. R is indeed very conservative. I don't know what to say about his assessment of the STRYDE nail. I was kind of hoping to go back to work too after a month when I do my Tibia.  I mean you see Dr. Paley patients off of crutches 3 weeks after the STRYDE surgery. Obviously that was just a demonstration of walking
a short distance, but I still think it should be ok to return to work after a month if you are careful and utilize crutches. 

can you post x-ray pics when you had the nail and when you got them out? I am trying to see how intact the bone looks after removal after all the reaming, etc

Sorry I don't have the x-rays with me as I have to request and pay for them to get them :(.  But 2 weeks after the nail removal, I had the xrays taken and you can see that the places where the rods and screws used to be were hollow but Dr. R said that will thicken over time.  There wasn't much reaming as I used the 8mm Precises 2 nail.  Now when I do do the Tibia with the 10mm STRYDE nail,  my Tibia bone canal is only 7mm wide at the thinnest point so there will be some amount of reaming there. 

cool

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2018, 05:06:31 AM »

No worries, keep us posted on next stage of lengthening!
8)

cool

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »

Are you back to normal SLM? Are you still planning to lengthening tibias?
8)

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2018, 04:42:35 AM »

Are you back to normal SLM? Are you still planning to lengthening tibias?

Yeah, all back to normal, thanks for asking :).  Still planning to do tibias sometime in the spring, hopefully March. 

cool

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »

Yeah, all back to normal, thanks for asking :).  Still planning to do tibias sometime in the spring, hopefully March.

will you use Precice or stryde?
8)

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2019, 09:36:37 AM »

will you use Precice or stryde?

I have been waiting for the 10mm stryde nail which dr. Rozbruch has informed me that it is now available for use, so it is a matter of scheduling the procedure.

Megatron

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »

Hi SLM, i know you discussed the insurance stuff already many times but i just wanted to ask that how were you able to get your insurance to cover this procedure? I thought cosmetic surgery wasn't covered under insurance. Only way it would be covered would be if theres a medical issue. I would love to get a procedure done with Dr. R if i could get the cost under 80k which I've heard isn't possible unless insurance covers hospital fees.

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2019, 09:35:10 PM »

Hi SLM, i know you discussed the insurance stuff already many times but i just wanted to ask that how were you able to get your insurance to cover this procedure? I thought cosmetic surgery wasn't covered under insurance. Only way it would be covered would be if theres a medical issue. I would love to get a procedure done with Dr. R if i could get the cost under 80k which I've heard isn't possible unless insurance covers hospital fees.

Like I said before and others that have done with Dr. Rozbruch have attested to, the hospital fees will most likely be covered by your insurance as you staying in the hospital is not voluntary, only the procedure is. So since the procedure fee is around 75k, expect to pay at least that much, and if your insurance is good, it should cover most of the rest which is the hospital fees, but it's not a guarantee.  Now if you do have a medical issue, Dr Rozbruch's office will submit it to the insurance in attempt to get some of it covered,  then that 75k procedure fee can potentially be reduced. There are some here that will be doing it with Dr. Rozbruch soon, perhaps they can chime in with their own experiences with the costs.

Megatron

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:30 PM »

Thanks appreciate the feedback.

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2019, 05:40:01 AM »

So I've been doing alot of thinking these past couple of weeks now that the 10mm STRYDE nail is out and the only thing left to do is to actually go thru with the procedure and yet I can't seem to pull the trigger. My parents are completely against it noting the dangers and cost. They think it's a waste of time and money (well they thought the same about my first surgery too) but they come from a different time and place, it's different nowadays.  I have been able to hide my first surgery for the most part but there is no way I will be able to hide this second surgery, everyone will notice a difference of me growing a combined 5 inches.  Also my frame will be totally out of whack in addition to my arms not in proportion anymore.  Still, I feel like I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life if I don't finish this journey, you only have one life to live, you have to maximize it. 

InFullStryde

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »

So I've been doing alot of thinking these past couple of weeks now that the 10mm STRYDE nail is out and the only thing left to do is to actually go thru with the procedure and yet I can't seem to pull the trigger. My parents are completely against it noting the dangers and cost. They think it's a waste of time and money (well they thought the same about my first surgery too) but they come from a different time and place, it's different nowadays.  I have been able to hide my first surgery for the most part but there is no way I will be able to hide this second surgery, everyone will notice a difference of me growing a combined 5 inches.  Also my frame will be totally out of whack in addition to my arms not in proportion anymore.  Still, I feel like I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life if I don't finish this journey, you only have one life to live, you have to maximize it.

Hi ShortLivesMatter,  I understand what you mean here.  It took real courage to go forward the first time and you have tremendous resolve to want to do this again to achieve your re-imagined self..  I have to admit, with our proportions at 5'1'ish... the 5'6 range is a sweet spot for us.  Actually; we look really nice and streamlined with that height. It's attractive. My opinion is that if you're in a good position to go forward, then you are in good hands with your Dr. R. He has such an excellent reputation and he's already done a fine job with you during the first operation.   It will all turn out great. You're going to do fine regardless of what you decide. You're a good man; and go with your heart on this one because your mind has already located a great doctor and safety has been top priority obviously since you have invested top dollar for the best.  Looking forward, friend.

Best regards,
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »

Did Doctor Rozbruch perform IT band release on you?
Go for it

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2019, 03:07:44 AM »

Did Doctor Rozbruch perform IT band release on you?

Yes he did.

Hi ShortLivesMatter,  I understand what you mean here.  It took real courage to go forward the first time and you have tremendous resolve to want to do this again to achieve your re-imagined self..  I have to admit, with our proportions at 5'1'ish... the 5'6 range is a sweet spot for us.  Actually; we look really nice and streamlined with that height. It's attractive. My opinion is that if you're in a good position to go forward, then you are in good hands with your Dr. R. He has such an excellent reputation and he's already done a fine job with you during the first operation.   It will all turn out great. You're going to do fine regardless of what you decide. You're a good man; and go with your heart on this one because your mind has already located a great doctor and safety has been top priority obviously since you have invested top dollar for the best.  Looking forward, friend.

Thank you for the words of wisdom my friend. I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for March, let's go!

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2019, 11:52:08 AM »

Are you not afraid of knee pain doing tibia with internal nail? Will you do with Dr Rozbruch too? Does he use suprapatellar approach of nail incision?
Go for it

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2019, 05:15:36 AM »

Are you not afraid of knee pain doing tibia with internal nail? Will you do with Dr Rozbruch too? Does he use suprapatellar approach of nail incision?

Sure that's a concern but when you are so far away from what is considered below average to average, you have to take more risks. Dr. Paley and Dr. Rozbruch, probably the top 2 LL docs, does internal tibia so I trust their judgement. Plus with the STRYDE nail, my recovery should be faster.

I am heading up to NYC on 3/7 for some pre op stuff and meeting with several interested LLers, if anyone is in the area and want to meet up as well, let me know. 

Oh and after my 2nd surgery, everyone is going to know, there is no hiding it anymore, most females have already noticed after just 2.7inch increase from my first surgery.  Their comments are usually along the lines of "you look really different, did you get taller or skinnier"? And I would ask back "different better or different worse"? And the response would always be better. Some now express interest when they never did beforehand, which hurts a little bit as I know the only reason is due to those inches.  Maybe after this second surgery and all this is done, I will just move to a different part of the country and start fresh. 

InFullStryde

« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2019, 05:41:00 AM »

You have some real guts, my friend.   Your courage puts you over 10 feet tall.  You're going to really do well with the new Stryde nail.  No more worrying about if you're putting to much weight on you legs while on a walker, crutches, etc.  And you are even able to take little steps as needed.  You can work out your legs from day 1 and your recovery will go much faster.   I'll be following your new diary if you create one! Good luck, man.

Don't move just yet..just say that you have found the secret elixir to getting taller. Sell that potion in a fire sell; make millions and then leave the country.  Ha ha.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

Purushrottam

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2019, 03:28:24 AM »

I am heading up to NYC on 3/7 for some pre op stuff and meeting with several interested LLers, if anyone is in the area and want to meet up as well, let me know. 

Hey I happen to be in the area this month. I sent you a PM if you want to meet.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2019, 03:35:12 AM »

Hey I happen to be in the area this month. I sent you a PM if you want to meet.

That would be awesome, I sent you a PM.

Purushrottam

« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2019, 03:42:49 AM »

Got it! Thanks.

Purushrottam

« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2019, 01:26:16 AM »

It was very nice meeting you! Good luck for your surgery!

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2019, 06:29:50 AM »

It was very nice meeting you! Good luck for your surgery!

Thanks bro, it was great meeting you as well.  It is hard to believe I'm going back in for a 2nd round, I can only hope I will have the same outcome as the first time around!

InFullStryde

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2019, 06:35:47 AM »

Thanks bro, it was great meeting you as well.  It is hard to believe I'm going back in for a 2nd round, I can only hope I will have the same outcome as the first time around!

Good luck, SLM!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up