Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 109554 times)

Ghostfish

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #341 on: March 23, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »

I just finished consolidation so I am behind you.  ;D  My case is not really different from others so I am not really thinking to write my diary.

SimonFuller

« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

I'm happy to hear that!

I've tried the same. They were very uncomfortable and didn't seem natural to me. Honestly think the long term effects of wearing them are probably worse than actually getting CLL. They just didn't look normal on me. I actually threw them away (they were pricey as hell too)

Well for once thing, I've literally been asked out by girls now. That almost never happened to me. I've literally never been in a situation where I had to politely reject someone. I get 'ghosted' a lot less. The women I meet actually make an effort to hang out/meet again. I used to think it was normal to always 'try hard' and that the onus was on the dude to make the effort. In reality, I just wasn't seen as that attractive so I was never priority number 1 these women. Now its a bit different. Its also fairly easy for me to hook up at clubs now. I never 'initiate' it (I'm a lot more buff now though, sort of on the chubby side though: 17% body fat... not sure how accurate). All those rejections sort of instilled a personality where I don't pursue women unless they clearly indicate that they are interested in me. I'm slowly trying to change that.

I dont know the answer to this. It mostly felt like a big deal when I would go clubbing or to a bar or a social event. Being short never bothered me when I was hanging out with my taller friends. Only when hearing about how easy it was for them to date. Height is definitely a social thing. Whether or not you are tall or short depends on the people around you. There was a 5'10" Dutch guy who got LL. He was probably the taller patient who got cosmetic LL with Paley.

Thanks for the response buddy. Really lengthy and really useful.

You must have this down as one of the best decisions of your life. Can I ask what your parents think? They must've been very scared to see their boy do something so drastic - do they regret it or are they indifferent or are they glad?

Purushrottam

« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2019, 10:24:27 PM »

Update: Day 2 after nail removal:

I feel much better. I am able to walk around a lot more. I can start walking normally with little sway (but it gets painful at the hips/nail sites. Other than that there is absolutely no pain in my left leg and hips. My right leg still hurts at the nail site when I try to bend it. However I am able to bend it much further than I could yesterday.

I still haven't taken any painkillers (and probably won't need to). I'm only taking meds to reduce the swelling at the surgical site.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Purushrottam

« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2019, 10:27:14 PM »

I just finished consolidation so I am behind you.  ;D  My case is not really different from others so I am not really thinking to write my diary.

Fair enough. Good luck with that! Have you met people who knew you from before? I started meeting my old friends right after my consolidation. It was interesting to say the least...

Thanks for the response buddy. Really lengthy and really useful.

You must have this down as one of the best decisions of your life. Can I ask what your parents think? They must've been very scared to see their boy do something so drastic - do they regret it or are they indifferent or are they glad?

No problem! This definitely was the best decisions in my life. I am way more positive now. My parents supported me all the way. They initially tried to get me to reconsider but I was already set. I was originally planning on doing it with Dr. Parihar in India but they suggested I do it with Paley instead (and suggested I take a loan). They are also glad with the results. They are even hinting that my sibling (who is also 2 sd shorter than avg) might be happy with doing this too.

wangchaoan

« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2019, 05:31:10 AM »

Puru:
It's so wonderful that you had accomplished the whole process.
Those former CLLers said it would take roughly a couple of weeks to get fully recovered from the nails removal surgery.
So I assume it would be around mid-April that you would be as good or even much better as before this removal surgery.
Don't abandon this thread please once you get fully recovered and get back to normal life :-)
We are all inspired by your diary!

Ghostfish

« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2019, 07:47:33 AM »

Fair enough. Good luck with that! Have you met people who knew you from before? I started meeting my old friends right after my consolidation. It was interesting to say the least...

Hi Puru

So far I have not met anyone who knows me after this surgery, because I moved out to a long distant from anybody I know.  Here I am very new.  For now, I am fine but a little concerned when I need to meet people I know.  Well, I don't plan to meet anybody soon.  Let's see how it turns out, when they see me someday.

Good luck for you facing this awkward situation!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:52:15 AM by Ghostfish »

SimonFuller

« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »

No problem! This definitely was the best decisions in my life. I am way more positive now. My parents supported me all the way. They initially tried to get me to reconsider but I was already set. I was originally planning on doing it with Dr. Parihar in India but they suggested I do it with Paley instead (and suggested I take a loan). They are also glad with the results. They are even hinting that my sibling (who is also 2 sd shorter than avg) might be happy with doing this too.

That's so great to hear bro!

Purushrottam

« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »

Puru:
It's so wonderful that you had accomplished the whole process.
Those former CLLers said it would take roughly a couple of weeks to get fully recovered from the nails removal surgery.
So I assume it would be around mid-April that you would be as good or even much better as before this removal surgery.
Don't abandon this thread please once you get fully recovered and get back to normal life :-)
We are all inspired by your diary!

No problem! I will continue updating the diary. May not be as frequently though.

Hi Puru

So far I have not met anyone who knows me after this surgery, because I moved out to a long distant from anybody I know.  Here I am very new.  For now, I am fine but a little concerned when I need to meet people I know.  Well, I don't plan to meet anybody soon.  Let's see how it turns out, when they see me someday.

Good luck for you facing this awkward situation!

There will be a lot of confused expressions...

Purushrottam

« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »

Update: Day 3 after nail removal:

My duck walk is gone. It still hurts a little to walk without swaying. My left leg is totally normal. My right leg still hurts to bend. I'm going to walk around outside today and go to work tomorrow (Monday). I only took 1 day off from work for the nail removal. No painkillers taken..

shortykon

• Visitor
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2019, 06:48:42 PM »

Nice going Puru, and also good to hear Dr. R is doing good work as usual.

SimonFuller

« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »

Update: Day 3 after nail removal:

My duck walk is gone. It still hurts a little to walk without swaying. My left leg is totally normal. My right leg still hurts to bend. I'm going to walk around outside today and go to work tomorrow (Monday). I only took 1 day off from work for the nail removal. No painkillers taken..

Impressive sir - good job on not using the pain killers.

Ghostfish

« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2019, 12:10:46 AM »

Hi Puru

I am impressed that you are taking only 1 day off from work for nail removal!!  But be conservative after nail removal.  At least for 2 months (I know Dr. said 6 weeks in general), don't do any serious sports or standing/walking too long.  Your bones have holes inside. 
BTW, when you have time, could you write how people reacted your new height especially from people who know you before? 

Thanks!

SimonFuller

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »

Paru,

Here's a question for you - what would you say to your old self to make him get over the height issue without the surgery?

Let's say in my hypothetical scenario that it wouldn't be possible to gather the funds to pay for the surgery at any time.

I'm asking this because it could perhaps help people who do not have the funds. Moreover, coming from you it means more than from a psychologist because you've experienced the difference (granted it's only been a matter of months  :) ).

Thanks! 

Purushrottam

« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:21 PM »

Update: Day 4 post surgery

I went to work today. No one noticed anything different about my walking. The pain in my right leg has gone down quite a bit and I can bend it a lot further. I was able to climb up and down stairs (but it was a little difficult).

I was initially uncomfortable because I still had heavy gauze and bandages on my hips. However midway through the day I got a call from Roz's clinical nurse saying that I can take them off. Once I did that, I became a lot more comfortable.

I logged 7,200 steps (2.5 miles) so far. Didn't really feel that tired. Nothing was out of the ordinary about my day other than the fact that I didn't do an intense workout (I might try to do body weight exercises like pushups later today though).

I feel completely normal other than the fact that I can't bend my legs all the way without some pain. I scheduled a follow up with Rozbruch to get my stitches removed. My legs feel a lot lighter and nimble. I'm pretty sure I feel as if I never had LL (minus the current surgical pain). I can't wait until I can start playing sports again. I'm going to go hard at it once I get cleared.

Purushrottam

« Reply #355 on: March 26, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »

Hi Puru

I am impressed that you are taking only 1 day off from work for nail removal!!  But be conservative after nail removal.  At least for 2 months (I know Dr. said 6 weeks in general), don't do any serious sports or standing/walking too long.  Your bones have holes inside. 
BTW, when you have time, could you write how people reacted your new height especially from people who know you before? 

Thanks!

Thanks! I definitely will be super careful. I know ProgramDude had a bone breakage about 2 months after the nail removal. I walked about 2.5 miles (7200 steps) today. When I started feeling sore I called a cab in (even though I was only a block away from my hotel).

How different people reacted:

- (confused expression) Did you loose a lot of weight?
- (confused expression) Did you get taller? - this was mostly girls and dudes who are now my height.
- Damn you look better
- (confused expression)

Purushrottam

« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:54 AM »

Paru,

Here's a question for you - what would you say to your old self to make him get over the height issue without the surgery?

Let's say in my hypothetical scenario that it wouldn't be possible to gather the funds to pay for the surgery at any time.

I'm asking this because it could perhaps help people who do not have the funds. Moreover, coming from you it means more than from a psychologist because you've experienced the difference (granted it's only been a matter of months  :) ).

Thanks!

5'6" isn't THAT short in the grand scheme of things. You are still within the 'normal' range. Cultivate a characteristic about you that makes you not just another short brown engineer (ie get really good at a martial art). Before LL, I was pretty quick at picking up skills in kickboxing competitively. I would have hypothetically pursued that further. Start volunteering somewhere consistently and try to find some purpose in life.

Note: I'm doing those 2 things now anyway, but thats what I would have told that person to do.

SimonFuller

« Reply #357 on: March 26, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »

5'6" isn't THAT short in the grand scheme of things. You are still within the 'normal' range. Cultivate a characteristic about you that makes you not just another short brown engineer (ie get really good at a martial art). Before LL, I was pretty quick at picking up skills in kickboxing competitively. I would have hypothetically pursued that further. Start volunteering somewhere consistently and try to find some purpose in life.

Note: I'm doing those 2 things now anyway, but thats what I would have told that person to do.

That's really helpful Paru.

forgive me if my inference is wrong - but your response infers to me that ultimately height is important but you just have to cultivate a characteristic that differentiates you in a different way to compensate. 

Man - I just need to do this - my mind is made up lol

Cr7

« Reply #358 on: March 26, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »

Quote from: SimonFuller link=topic=4823.msg104391#msg104391 date=1553594162

[/quote

Do it then. Just reasearch take up consultations with some top docs, weigh the pros and cons and talk to some people who underwent this surgery.

Purushrottam

« Reply #359 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »

That's really helpful Paru.

forgive me if my inference is wrong - but your response infers to me that ultimately height is important but you just have to cultivate a characteristic that differentiates you in a different way to compensate. 

No it’s correct. My decision was made up in a similar way. I was tired of working really hard to distinguish myself just to be considered acceptable.

Now that your mind is made up start planning for this. When I decided I wanted to do this, I was only making $80k/year. I didn’t think I had the money to ever finance this.

Figure out what you can do to earn more (unless you opt for cheaper, external methods.. then you will pay more in opportunity cost because of longer recovery time).

Plan how you can take a break from working and plan how much money you will need for this while unemployed. If you need to take a loan, figure out what documentation you will need. They usually want a proof of address so if you are subleasing, get that living situation sorted out.

SimonFuller

« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »

No it’s correct. My decision was made up in a similar way. I was tired of working really hard to distinguish myself just to be considered acceptable.

Now that your mind is made up start planning for this. When I decided I wanted to do this, I was only making $80k/year. I didn’t think I had the money to ever finance this.

Figure out what you can do to earn more (unless you opt for cheaper, external methods.. then you will pay more in opportunity cost because of longer recovery time).

Plan how you can take a break from working and plan how much money you will need for this while unemployed. If you need to take a loan, figure out what documentation you will need. They usually want a proof of address so if you are subleasing, get that living situation sorted out.

Thanks for the advice bro.

I've done alot of this thinking already to be fair. I'm in a new job and started in March 2019. I have 2 potential options;

a) Continue in job - take 5/6 month career break once I feel its a good time for the firm and I feel I can ask. Could be September 2020
b) There is a masters I want to do which will mean a career change. In this case, I'd time LL for 4/5 months before the masters start date. C Sept 2020 or Jan 2021

No way would I do external. Giotkas Stryde wants about £40k GBP to do it. I can afford it now but I'd get a loan in any case.

Purushrottam

« Reply #361 on: March 27, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »

Update (Day 5 post Nail Removal):

I think these updates might be a bit redundant now. I may have gone a bit too hard yesterday. My legs were really sore this morning and my right leg wasn't bending as far (before pain). However as the day went on it got better. I ended up walking about 4 miles today. My legs didn't hurt at all. I still can't bend my right leg all the way though.

I still have trouble climbing up stairs.

Purushrottam

« Reply #362 on: March 27, 2019, 01:39:42 AM »

Thanks for the advice bro.

I've done alot of this thinking already to be fair. I'm in a new job and started in March 2019. I have 2 potential options;

a) Continue in job - take 5/6 month career break once I feel its a good time for the firm and I feel I can ask. Could be September 2020
b) There is a masters I want to do which will mean a career change. In this case, I'd time LL for 4/5 months before the masters start date. C Sept 2020 or Jan 2021

No way would I do external. Giotkas Stryde wants about £40k GBP to do it. I can afford it now but I'd get a loan in any case.

I'm glad to hear that. It looks like your plan is in place.

Ghostfish

« Reply #363 on: March 27, 2019, 03:43:56 AM »

Hi Puru

Thanks for your update!  I just have one question.  Apparently you work out much more than I do.  I honestly don't do any workout, because I can't make time for it.  However, I am a bit surprised to hear that you still have trouble climbing upstairs.  I understand this word of trouble is very subjective term.  So how hard is it for you to climb upstairs?   

SimonFuller

« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »

I'm glad to hear that. It looks like your plan is in place.

Thank-you pal.

Looks like you're doing well on the recovery from the nail removal.

When I broke my kneecap - it felt so good to have the wiring removed a year after my first operation - like I could really feel the difference - is that how you feel?

Purushrottam

« Reply #365 on: March 27, 2019, 05:00:52 PM »

Hi Puru

Thanks for your update!  I just have one question.  Apparently you work out much more than I do.  I honestly don't do any workout, because I can't make time for it.  However, I am a bit surprised to hear that you still have trouble climbing upstairs.  I understand this word of trouble is very subjective term.  So how hard is it for you to climb upstairs?   

I have trouble climbing stairs right now because my right leg hurts to bend. That’s due to the nail removal surgery. A few days before, I ran up and down 20 flights of stairs (was tired though).

Purushrottam

« Reply #366 on: March 27, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »

Thank-you pal.

Looks like you're doing well on the recovery from the nail removal.

When I broke my kneecap - it felt so good to have the wiring removed a year after my first operation - like I could really feel the difference - is that how you feel?

Yeah my legs definitely feel a lot lighter and limber.

Ghostfish

« Reply #367 on: March 28, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »

I have trouble climbing stairs right now because my right leg hurts to bend. That’s due to the nail removal surgery. A few days before, I ran up and down 20 flights of stairs (was tired though).

Hi Puru

Thanks for answering my question!  Looks like after nail removal, there will be some pain lasting for 1-2 weeks.  I am glad that now you are much better!
Good luck!

Purushrottam

« Reply #368 on: March 28, 2019, 01:03:15 AM »

No problem. I think my right leg got worse though.. I can bend it a lot less before it starts to hurt.

Ghostfish

« Reply #369 on: March 28, 2019, 03:21:57 AM »

No problem. I think my right leg got worse though.. I can bend it a lot less before it starts to hurt.

Oh sorry to hear that your right leg got worse.  Don't push too hard to work out or to walk.  Try to be easy on your legs until they get better.
Hope your legs, especially right one, get better soon.

« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »

sorry to hear that, your recovery has been amazing, take good care and follow doctor's advice and i am sure it will be all good. btw puru - may I ask a question? you wrote you are in AI/Machine learning , did you study computer science or statistics/analytics and are you more like data scientist or software developer? just curious :) (since I want to get into AI/ML and make good bucks but confused between stats/analytics/data scientist path or CS/software developer path). thanks a lot.

totallyred

« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »

sorry to hear that, your recovery has been amazing, take good care and follow doctor's advice and i am sure it will be all good. btw puru - may I ask a question? you wrote you are in AI/Machine learning , did you study computer science or statistics/analytics and are you more like data scientist or software developer? just curious :) (since I want to get into AI/ML and make good bucks but confused between stats/analytics/data scientist path or CS/software developer path). thanks a lot.

Lolz...the forum name should be changed to Limb Lengthening cum Career Counseling forum.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up