Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 108933 times)

totallyred

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »

So do you think the recovery could have been different if you would have used Strydr only on Femurs.
Also when eas the first time you walked post surgery with assistance as well as without assistance.

Thank you and brst wishes.

Mariobro

« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:19 AM »

Hi Puru. Do you know how much the rods weight? And any update on your recovery?

SimonFuller

« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »

Hey buddy - how are you getting on? Hope all is well

SimonFuller

« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »

Bro - hope you're doing well! Any update for us?

Mariobro

« Reply #407 on: May 12, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »

Hi Puru. Its been a while since your last post. Are doing well?

Mariobro

« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:38 PM »

Hi Puru. We didn't hear from you in a while. Please , let us know if you are ok since your rod removals.

ControlYourLife

• Visitor
« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »

Would like an update as well! Hope life is normal now and you've forgotten about LL, that would be the best update

cena

« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »

I have a feeling something happened after nail removal. Maybe a fracture or something. He was a very active and positive member why would he disappear?

MichaelJose

« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »

Hi Paru - everything okay bro?

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2019, 01:43:55 AM »

So what is the sensation that stops you from jogging more than 2 minutes? Normal fatigue? Soft tissue pain? 2 minutes is nothing, not being able to even jog for 5 minutes a year later is a scary thought.

Pain when landing on each foot. Dr. Paley just told me this week that I need to strengthen my quads, but should not do deep squats. Keep the knee angle to at most 45 degrees, so do leg presses and knee extensions.

I'll tell you next week. I had the same rods inserted, just four of them :)

So do you think the recovery could have been different if you would have used Strydr only on Femurs.
Also when eas the first time you walked post surgery with assistance as well as without assistance.

Don't be lazy and ask repeat questions! Read the thread. I've done all the work for you.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

SimonFuller

« Reply #413 on: July 14, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »

Hey bro - are you all good?

ControlYourLife

• Visitor
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »

@overrideyourgenetics

Any word from puru?

Puru - could get get a bump? Things looked great after rod removal - I just want to hear that you've forgotten about LL

Looking forward to any info and my Paley consult.

Hows athletic recovery?
I am pushing for 5cm and be able to be athletic after

Purushrottam

« Reply #415 on: July 23, 2019, 05:32:36 AM »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long delay w.o updates. I was really busy with work and travel. I'll write a new reply answering all your questions/comments. Honestly my legs feel like nothing ever happened. They feel lighter w.o the rods. My running is pretty normal.

Stand by for an update..
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Purushrottam

« Reply #416 on: July 23, 2019, 06:10:06 AM »

Congrats, man! I love it.

Thanks man! I hope you are doing well. I'm going to read your diary after I finish answering all the questions on here.

Smashedddd it! Congrats bro

Can I pm you a question on proportions please?

Thanks! You can, but I don't check my inbox very often. You might as well post it on this thread.

Hey Puru! And hi everyone.

It's been a year after my surgeries (see my diary) and thought I would give some answers to the same questions that Puru got since I've stopped updating my diary, so you guys can compare outcomes. I hope Puru doesn't mind (and I'll also reply to a few posts of his)! And I know I should do a full update on my on diary - promise I'll do that!

Wow OYG, your replies are very informative and thoughtful. I can tell you put a lot of thought into your posts. Thanks for outlining my milestones. Sorry about the delayed response.

Now (April 2019): waling is pretty normal. Nobody seems to notice anything unusual. I can jog but for 2 minutes max; can't really run, except on sand (see my Instagram). Can do 40 jumping jacks. Pain in the right knee when squatting or going down stairs, esp. if the stairs are tall. Dr. Paley said not to do deep squats, but do leg presses until the knee pain disappears. I don't know when and if that will happen - so keep in mind that even with the best doctors, there can still be complications, especially if you're older. The left knee has no problems whatsoever - so my right knee pain isn't because I haven't trained properly - I assure you that I trained both knees equally. :) Dr. Paley did acknowledge a risk of permanent knee pain after the tibia surgery:

Good to know your gait is normal. The jogging stamina will return. You may have to try HIIT. That was my "secret sauce" for increasing my running stamina before and after LL. I'm guessing that you tire out after 2 minutes because your heart is working extra hard to help your body move those weak limbs. Stronger cardiovascular health and stronger leg muscles will improve your jogging stamina before you even realize it (if you remain consistent with your workouts). I'm sorry to hear about your knees. Hope you get better!

In my case, that was actually the opposite. In my late 30s, nobody gives a   about my height, or anyone's. For context, the crowd I'm in are intelligent, Westerner or well-traveled people, with occupations related to high-tech. Not just software engineers, but also marketers, program managers, startup founders etc. They're from the US or Europe, or have lived there enough to be culturally acclimated. Not sure what it would be like in other cultures or demographics.

I'm with a similar crowd. I have a colleague who is significantly shorter (male, 5'3"). Literally no one has brought it up. Ever. He's known for his professional accomplishments and passion for the work. I'm starting to think that the issues I've had with height may have been selection bias on my part. I'm seeing it more and more now that I am recovered. Lots of short (under 5'5") dudes who live completely normal, happy, fulfilling lives. It might also be that I'm getting older. I can confidently say that being short is not THAT big of a deal. I thought differently when I was 23. I'm still glad I did the operation though. Its hard to describe the feeling.

I'm curious if Puru wants to share some background about his family or friends. Maybe they're very conservative. I respect his choice to not mention the surgery. Myself though, I tell everyone who asks, the truth. However, very few people noticed my 3" increase in height.

No problem. My family is Indian. My friends are half Indian and half American (of all backgrounds). I've only told my parents, my sibling, and a couple of my friends about the surgery. The last friend I told was visibly confused and told me he was mind f**ked because he used to remember that I was shorter than him (now I'm slightly taller). Then he asked.. did you do this surgery? My facial expression gave it away. Everyone I told was very supportive... and very curious about the process. It made me realize that I have a very unique experience that not many people in the world have. Its a weird feeling in itself.

That being said, my favorite part about this is definitely meeting people again after having LL. Their initial confused expression is amazing.

I haven't practiced golf, but it doesn't seem to be that intense on your legs. You swing a gold club while staying in one place, then walk around the golf course. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is far weaker of a proof for recovering athletic ability than, say, a skier, basketball player, or boxer.

Agreed. I signed up for a ton of sports leagues this summer (volleyball, soccer, basketball, boxing, tennis). My first game (tennis) is this weekend. Fingers crossed. I'm curious to see how my athletic ability is now.

No I forgot to ask the doctor before surgery. My update is that I feel fully recovered. I can run as fast as before (i'm trying to hit a 6 minute mile). I'm not squatting as much as before but I'll get there soon. I don't feel any different.

Purushrottam

« Reply #417 on: July 23, 2019, 06:15:17 AM »

@overrideyourgenetics

Any word from puru?

Puru - could get get a bump? Things looked great after rod removal - I just want to hear that you've forgotten about LL

Looking forward to any info and my Paley consult.

Hows athletic recovery?
I am pushing for 5cm and be able to be athletic after

Hello CYL, thanks for your concern! I'm doing fine. I honestly have forgotten about LL. My leg feel much lighter after rod removal. The stiffness is no longer there when I'm running. It feels the same as before. Good luck on your consultation with Paley. I had mine in Oct 2016. Feels like ages ago.

My athletic recovery is decent. I played soccer last summer and I was ok at it. This summer I'm doing other sports. My first game is this weekend (tennis).   I'm not at the same level I was before but I'm more athletic than the average person my age.

Athletic reovery at 5 cm should be fairly quick.

Hey bro - are you all good?

Yup! Thanks for your concern and I'm really sorry for the delay.

Purushrottam

« Reply #418 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:00 AM »

I have a feeling something happened after nail removal. Maybe a fracture or something. He was a very active and positive member why would he disappear?

Hello cena! I'm totally alright. Thanks for your concern! If I had a fracture or any complication, it would be my moral responsibility to inform everyone on the forum (so that everyone is aware of the possible risks of this operation).

I'm really sorry for not updating in a while.

Purushrottam

« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »

Hi Paru - everything okay bro?

Yup!

Hi Puru. We didn't hear from you in a while. Please , let us know if you are ok since your rod removals.

Bro - hope you're doing well! Any update for us?

I'm really touched by your concerns. I'm doing well. I apologize for not updating.

Purushrottam

« Reply #420 on: July 23, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »

Update:

Sorry for the delayed post. I honestly don't spend that much time online anymore (which is probably a good thing). I'm filling my free time with social sports, vacations, classes, and volunteering. Suffice to say, you can count this diary as a successful outcome. I had a slight scare when after my rod removal, one of my legs was having trouble bending (I don't even remember which one now).

Physically I can say I'm pretty recovered. I can run 9mph on the treadmill (for at least 2 mins), which is the same as before. I can run a 10 minute mile with a 150 bpm heart rate (same as before). My squat isn't as high as before (but I'm not focusing hard on it). I'm more physically fit than before (more muscle, less fat, better cardiovascular profile).

Financially, my assets are already more than what they were before LL (85k vs 60k I think). I took an $80k loan for the survery and a 17.5k (only needed 7.5k) loan for the rod removal. I have 56k left to repay for the first loan and 6.5k left for the second loan. I can make extra payments every month to pay them off early but I want to spend the cashflow on 401k, travel, and recreation.

JenniferFromSeattle

• Visitor
« Reply #421 on: July 23, 2019, 06:51:21 AM »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the long delay w.o updates. I was really busy with work and travel. I'll write a new reply answering all your questions/comments. Honestly my legs feel like nothing ever happened. They feel lighter w.o the rods. My running is pretty normal.

Stand by for an update..

Hi, I'm interested in having Dr. Paley lengthen my femur to correct a length discrepancy of 5.5 cm from a congenital problem.  I have a November 14, 2019 surgical date.  I'm an avid hiker and have a goal of backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail (2,600 miles Mexico to Canada) after the surgery.  Do your legs really feel like nothing every happened?  No pains, no flexibility problems, no issues at all?  Any advice on pt? Did you do anything special or just follow Dr. Paley's recommendations?  Thanks so much for your help.  I loved reading about your experience.

Purushrottam

« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2019, 07:07:50 AM »

Hi, I'm interested in having Dr. Paley lengthen my femur to correct a length discrepancy of 5.5 cm from a congenital problem.  I have a November 14, 2019 surgical date.  I'm an avid hiker and have a goal of backpacking the Pacific Crest Trail (2,600 miles Mexico to Canada) after the surgery.  Do your legs really feel like nothing every happened?  No pains, no flexibility problems, no issues at all?  Any advice on pt? Did you do anything special or just follow Dr. Paley's recommendations?  Thanks so much for your help.  I loved reading about your experience.

According to Paley, patients who are doing LL to fix a discrepancy have an easier time because the body's muscles/soft tissues are already longer (but limited by the bone growth). Your recovery will also be rather swift because you are only doing 5.5 cm. If you are doing it with a weight bearing nail like Stryde, even better.

My legs really feel like nothing happened. I went on several hikes after LL (not as intense as the PCT though). I haven't done any long hikes but I haven't had any trouble walking 10+ miles within a city 3 days in a row. I usually walk 4-6 miles daily in my commute+daily routine (I don't drive anymore).

My flexibility isn't as good as before, BUT it is pretty close. I think I'm more flexible than the average male my age. The only  movement I'm not flexible in is the side kick (for kickboxing). For all other movements, I have the same ROM as before. No pains.

Advice on PT: Follow your PTs and Doctors instructions. Don't skimp on it. Being bed ridden tends to make you lazy and demotivated. Fight through your inertia to do the PT. The low level dull pain will also make it hard to concentrate on cognitive tasks. If you are working while doing LL, you will have a really hard time (although some Stryde patients have managed to do it pretty well... ask InFullStryde). The biggest thing for me was not the pain, but the boredom. Find some way to pass time. For me it was Netflix.

More importantly, listen to the doctors and physical therapists. If they say don't take drug A with B, DONT. There was a diary I read where a patient almost died because he took some drug that reacted badly with his blood thinners. You will be on a some painkillers. They don't react well with other drugs/medications and alcohol.

I'm glad  you enjoyed reading my diary!

SimonFuller

« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »

Update:

Sorry for the delayed post. I honestly don't spend that much time online anymore (which is probably a good thing). I'm filling my free time with social sports, vacations, classes, and volunteering. Suffice to say, you can count this diary as a successful outcome. I had a slight scare when after my rod removal, one of my legs was having trouble bending (I don't even remember which one now).

Physically I can say I'm pretty recovered. I can run 9mph on the treadmill (for at least 2 mins), which is the same as before. I can run a 10 minute mile with a 150 bpm heart rate (same as before). My squat isn't as high as before (but I'm not focusing hard on it). I'm more physically fit than before (more muscle, less fat, better cardiovascular profile).

Financially, my assets are already more than what they were before LL (85k vs 60k I think). I took an $80k loan for the survery and a 17.5k (only needed 7.5k) loan for the rod removal. I have 56k left to repay for the first loan and 6.5k left for the second loan. I can make extra payments every month to pay them off early but I want to spend the cashflow on 401k, travel, and recreation.

Good to hear you are doing so well. It is crazy to see you now see Height as not THAT big a deal. The key key question is could you've come to this conclusion without the surgery? If yes, tell me how please and save me all this money lol!

Are you able to conclude as to whether this was worth it taking all things into consideration? My inference from your updates is yes - but I do not want to put words in your mouth! 

TheAlchemist

« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2019, 01:17:13 PM »

Congrats on a successful outcome Puru! Overall with your career, traveling, hobbies, and volunteer work- it truly seems like you were able to free yourself of whatever the height neurosis was doing to you to enable you to live the life you want. Happy for you bro.

I'm with a similar crowd. I have a colleague who is significantly shorter (male, 5'3"). Literally no one has brought it up. Ever. He's known for his professional accomplishments and passion for the work. I'm starting to think that the issues I've had with height may have been selection bias on my part. I'm seeing it more and more now that I am recovered. Lots of short (under 5'5") dudes who live completely normal, happy, fulfilling lives. It might also be that I'm getting older. I can confidently say that being short is not THAT big of a deal. I thought differently when I was 23. I'm still glad I did the operation though. Its hard to describe the feeling.

I'd love to hear more about the psychological aspect of this. Can you think back to when you were 5'5 and your height neurosis to where you are now?

The quality of your life pre and post op seem to have significantly improved: hindsight is 20/20 and perspective is everything, would you say the actual 3 inches of growth made the difference or  would you say it was more the psychological aspect of getting this thing done and being content with having done everything you can to address your height neurosis and being at peace with it / moving on with life? I ask cause other member of this forum who complete LL seem to continue to have neurotic behavior, i.e. they just replaced height neurosis with another form of neurosis.

Thanks man!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Purushrottam

« Reply #425 on: July 25, 2019, 03:36:32 AM »

Good to hear you are doing so well. It is crazy to see you now see Height as not THAT big a deal. The key key question is could you've come to this conclusion without the surgery? If yes, tell me how please and save me all this money lol!

Are you able to conclude as to whether this was worth it taking all things into consideration? My inference from your updates is yes - but I do not want to put words in your mouth!

I probably woudln't have come to the same conclusion. Height used to occupy my mind 100%. Now I rarely think about it. I personally think it was worth it, but it could also be post facto rationalization. I just remember being angry all the time.

Congrats on a successful outcome Puru! Overall with your career, traveling, hobbies, and volunteer work- it truly seems like you were able to free yourself of whatever the height neurosis was doing to you to enable you to live the life you want. Happy for you bro.

I'd love to hear more about the psychological aspect of this. Can you think back to when you were 5'5 and your height neurosis to where you are now?

The quality of your life pre and post op seem to have significantly improved: hindsight is 20/20 and perspective is everything, would you say the actual 3 inches of growth made the difference or  would you say it was more the psychological aspect of getting this thing done and being content with having done everything you can to address your height neurosis and being at peace with it / moving on with life? I ask cause other member of this forum who complete LL seem to continue to have neurotic behavior, i.e. they just replaced height neurosis with another form of neurosis.

Thanks man!

Thanks! Yeah I was not in a good place psychologically when I was 5'5/5'6". Its totally possible to resolve those issues w.o surgery but I didn't really feel like going in that direction.

wangchaoan

« Reply #426 on: July 25, 2019, 06:55:16 AM »

Hi, puru,
Personally I have the same feelling as yours. Now I rarely keep thinking about my height every now and then. The issue on increasing a few cms on my height used to occupy a lot in my mind. It is really a psychological matter. It's like something in your brain being haunted as long as you don't realize it. However, you just feel normal as nothing once you really get it. This also applies to many areas in your life, such as your first 100 millions, a dream place you want to travel, your dream car, a man/woman that occupies your mind, etc.

SimonFuller

« Reply #427 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:39 AM »

I probably woudln't have come to the same conclusion. Height used to occupy my mind 100%. Now I rarely think about it. I personally think it was worth it, but it could also be post facto rationalization. I just remember being angry all the time.

Thanks! Yeah I was not in a good place psychologically when I was 5'5/5'6". Its totally possible to resolve those issues w.o surgery but I didn't really feel like going in that direction.

Thanks Paru - can we hear some examples for moments where you thought, I would've been angry now had I not done this op (i.e. at a wedding) and examples when you still think about your height now.

I appreciate this is something you probably cba to talk about but it is really important for all of us to hear your POV (in detail!) thanks bro :)

FutureManuteBol

« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2019, 05:34:24 PM »

The prodigal son has returned. This diary is definitely a success. Your diary was one of the first I've ever read.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #429 on: September 08, 2019, 12:35:52 PM »

Puru, if you do not mind sharing this may I know how did you explain to your potential new employers (while interviewing) the 6 months gap in your career? I mean do not they assume the worst by default (that is you were laid off/fired)? thanks.

Quote from you "My life is slowly getting back to normal. I quit my job and got into heavy debt for this surgery. Now my schedule is booked with job interviews (yay). So far its looking really good. If everything goes right, I will start working in March (and hopefully making way more than what I was making before)."

Lalbadshah

« Reply #430 on: September 08, 2019, 07:55:39 PM »

if you don't want to post here, plz pm me, thanks a lot.

Purushrottam

« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »

Puru, if you do not mind sharing this may I know how did you explain to your potential new employers (while interviewing) the 6 months gap in your career? I mean do not they assume the worst by default (that is you were laid off/fired)? thanks.

Quote from you "My life is slowly getting back to normal. I quit my job and got into heavy debt for this surgery. Now my schedule is booked with job interviews (yay). So far its looking really good. If everything goes right, I will start working in March (and hopefully making way more than what I was making before)."

I basically told them that I left for medical reasons and left it at that. I actually did my first interview in crutches (this was in March before I could walk around 100% unassisted). The demand for software engineers is such that people will overlook a lot of red flags when hiring. At my current job (which I joined after my LL break), another candidate was hired at the same time as I, in a similar circumstance (long gaps of unemployment). It became very clear why said candidate had long gaps of unemployment and why companies are wary of hiring people who have long gaps.

However, gaps (whether its for medical reasons or for travel related sabbatical) after several years of employment don't look as bad.

Lalbadshah

« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2019, 02:30:11 AM »

Thanks Puru, much appreciated.

Purushrottam

« Reply #433 on: September 13, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »

Update: .

I'm working out heavily now to try to get to my pre LL level of fitness (8.5 minute mile nonstop, 6 minute mile in 1 minute increments when doing HIIT, run 12 mph for at least 30 seconds, run 3 miles in under 30 minutes, squat 160 ish, deadlift 160 ish, and do 90 jump squats in 3 sets).

This September 26th marks the 2nd anniversary of my LL surgery. I’m making it a goal to reach these stats by then. I’m pretty close. I haven’t kept track but I think I have a faster mile time (I’ll verify next week when I recover from the flu). I managed to run at a 5:18 pace for.1 miles. I’ve been training ridiculously hard for the past 2 months.

I’ll post my stats on that day.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up