Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley  (Read 108919 times)

LAGrowin

Re: Femoral Lengthening with Dr. Paley
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »

Awesome Puruahrottam!  All the best with your interviews! 

Did the jogging feel ackward as some have described due to rhe Precise rod inside ?

It's now just over 3 months since you stopped lengthening ?

Purushrottam

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:32 AM »

Awesome Puruahrottam!  All the best with your interviews! 

Did the jogging feel ackward as some have described due to rhe Precise rod inside ?

It's now just over 3 months since you stopped lengthening ?

Thanks man! I thought I did pretty well. Fingers crossed now.

The jogging is a bit awkward simply because my legs get tired out. Part of the reason might be the rods weighing me down. Overall, for the first 30 seconds, my jogging feels pretty normal. Next time I go jogging, I'll see if I can get someone to take a video of me so I can see for myself if the jogging looks weird.

Yes, it is about 3 months since I stopped lengthening (14 weeks to be exact).
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Out of Touch

• Visitor
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2018, 03:49:34 AM »

Hey - congrats on a seemingly great outcome and fast recovery.

I'm just wondering based on what I've read about femurs being angled... You lengthened 6.5cm and do you know how much height that translated into? At least 6cm?

I'm like $15K USD off precise and your diary inspired me to possibly get a loan and have LL done this year. How is your new height feeling? Satisfied? Any chance you'll do tibias?
~168.5cm at night (5'6 1/2)

Goals: 6.5cm femur and 5cm tibia

Purushrottam

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2018, 04:05:18 AM »

Hey - congrats on a seemingly great outcome and fast recovery.

I'm just wondering based on what I've read about femurs being angled... You lengthened 6.5cm and do you know how much height that translated into? At least 6cm?

I'm like $15K USD off precise and your diary inspired me to possibly get a loan and have LL done this year. How is your new height feeling? Satisfied? Any chance you'll do tibias?

Hello SoonToBeInTouch,

Thanks for your wishes!

I haven't actually measured my height after lengthening. When you measure height, you stand with your legs together. In that sense, I'm assuming that it translated to a 6.5 cm height gain (therefore with me being 175 cm).

Yeah, the loan definitely sped up my LL timeline. Before I knew that was a possibility, I was hopelessly looking at the vast sum thinking "how the hell am I going to come up with the money?" or thinking of doing it in India (with Dr. Parihar), which would have been logistically very difficult/scary for my family. If you are wondering, I used SoFi and borrowed $80,000 at around 10% APR with a 7 year term (of course, I'm going to pay it off early to avoid the high interest. I made sure that there was no early payment penalty). They give loans of up to $100k. At my then income of $125k (I suddenly got a raise to $135k + bonus right before I quit) and rental expense of $2500/mo (They calculate your rent payment when deciding how much to lend to you), I was qualified for $82k. I'm currently paying $1350/mo for the loan.

I hope that these numbers help you plan/estimate what amount you might be able to borrow.

The new height feels great. I have discovered that the majority of people are within 2 inches of my height, so I don't feel short at all anymore. I have friends who are 6' and I feel barely any shorter than them (even though I'm 5'9"). Everyone I met says that I look better now (though they can't put it on me being taller. LOL).
Oh and I have an uptick in interest on my online dating sites/apps. Still haven't really gone out though.

Long story short, I no longer think about height/me being short as I'm going about my day. I am very satisfied. I am not interested in doing Tibias. This experience was taxing enough on my family. My main focus is now
1) Getting a new job and paying off my debt
2) Getting jacked/fit up to my pre LL stats (I've already reached this stat with walking pace/stamina).

myloginacct

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2018, 05:12:21 AM »

Definitely agree with you. I don't think a man really needs more than 5'9 if he has a lot of other things going for him. The main thing is just to get out of "short" territory.

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Getting loans
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »

I used SoFi and borrowed $80,000 at around 10% APR with a 7 year term (of course, I'm going to pay it off early to avoid the high interest. [...] They give loans of up to $100k. At my then income of $125k (I suddenly got a raise to $135k + bonus right before I quit) and rental expense of $2500/mo (They calculate your rent payment when deciding how much to lend to you), I was qualified for $82k. I'm currently paying $1350/mo for the loan.

Interesting. I used SoFi too and have about the same income but only $1700/mo in rent... which they don't check! (FYI, for anyone else interested.) Got $100k at 10% APR. The cost of the loan is $40k, which spread over over the next 7 years is not really a concern. 7 years is a long time nowadays and a lot can happen.

edit: link edit
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:18:29 PM by Admin »
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Knik

« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2018, 11:43:12 AM »

I would save 10k € and get a 15k € loan too
or saving 15 k € and get a 10 k€ loan
Looking for Pili

Purushrottam

« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2018, 04:59:40 AM »

Mini Update

I just jogged for 3 minutes (1 minute bursts) outside on hilly terrain at an avg if 6.5 mph. Last time I jogged for the same amount of time on a treadmill (2.0 incline) at 4.0 mph.

bigdreams55

« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2018, 05:46:25 AM »

Thanks for the update, its great to hear you're doing so well!

I'm a few months behind you, and am hoping for a similar recovery.

Purushrottam

« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »

Thanks for the update, its great to hear you're doing so well!

I'm a few months behind you, and am hoping for a similar recovery.

Good luck! How much have you lengthened so far?

bigdreams55

« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2018, 02:39:17 AM »

I'm 3 weeks post-lengthening, I lengthened 6.3 cms. I think I'll be cleared to fully weightbear at my next doctor's appointment, I can't wait to walk again unassisted. It seemed to have taken you about a month to two to walk normally again, is that right?

Purushrottam

« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2018, 04:34:31 AM »

Mini Update:

Last week I walked about 6-7 miles every day (10k-14k steps). Wasn't tiring at all. Went clubbing as well. No issues there. I can run up and down the stairs easily now. I haven't jogged in a while so I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Purushrottam

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »

I'm 3 weeks post-lengthening, I lengthened 6.3 cms. I think I'll be cleared to fully weightbear at my next doctor's appointment, I can't wait to walk again unassisted. It seemed to have taken you about a month to two to walk normally again, is that right?

Yeah a little under 8 weeks to be precise. A bit longer to get my gait back.

Android

« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2018, 07:12:33 AM »

Great progress, nice to hear that you're not feeling fatigued from those walks. Ah, the things we take for granted.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Purushrottam

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2018, 03:30:41 AM »

Great progress, nice to hear that you're not feeling fatigued from those walks. Ah, the things we take for granted.

Thanks!

Another small update:

I can finally touch my toes bending down with my legs straight. Still not at pre LL flexibility but it took me a long time due to me not stretching enough during my recovery. I also didn't do as many leg workouts (leg press etc). After I increased my leg workouts, the flexibility started improving relatively quickly.

Other than that, for the past 4 weeks I was doing the Hugh Jackman workout from Mens Fitness [dot] com for about 2-3 hours a day.

I have exceeded my Pre LL upper body strength and muscle mass (even my legs technically have more muscle now than before. However they aren't strong as before).

Its going to take a while for my squat/ deadlift strength to come back. I still can't do a squat unassisted. I'm going to hold off on these until my leg flexibility is 100%. The only leg workouts I'm doing is assisted squats and leg presses.

On the leg press, I'm doing 2 plates (45 + 45) (4 X 10).

I still haven't jogged in a while because the weather is really bad.

LAGrowin

« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »

So happy to keep reading of your progress Puruahrottam!!   Gives me hope. That's an awesome recovery.

Any lingering aches or pains?  How are the knees?

I'm at 6cm now and my knees are killing me along with my tightness.

All the best!!

Purushrottam

« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2018, 04:10:16 PM »

So happy to keep reading of your progress Puruahrottam!!   Gives me hope. That's an awesome recovery.

Any lingering aches or pains?  How are the knees?

I'm at 6cm now and my knees are killing me along with my tightness.

All the best!!

Thank you! Hope your recovery goes well as well. I'm sure it will!

No aches/pains. My pains went away less than a week after I stopped lengthening. Sitting in certain positions was a bit uncomfortable (due to low flexibility) but that went away really fast. Sometimes my upper femurs hurt after I jog for a long time (but I haven't jogged in a while so I dont' know).

My knees are totally fine. They feel the same as if they were prior to LL (just sans flexibility... I can't kneebend very far. Hoping to fix that soon). At 6 cm I was in a lot of tightness/pain. I had slowed down to .75 mm/day.

I was traveling last week in a city with lots of tunnels/stairs. My pedometer counted about 14k steps (6 miles I think) daily and I felt no soreless/aches and pains (just a bit tired.. same as if I had walked that much before LL).

LAGrowin

« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »

Thank you Purushrottam. Counting the days now.  So close.

Your recovery gives me so much hope that mine will be as smooth. I worry about the lingering pains and aches after consolidation.  Seems your continued level of activity has really helped.

Happy to hear of the continuous process for you! Thank you for taking the time.

Brb6ftTall

« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »

This is a great diary. I stopped lengthening myself a few months earlier than you, back in August, and it seems you’re pretty much on track to how I was when I was recovering. I went to 7.6cm though. I can do everything I could do pre-LL besides Sprint, though I haven’t tried it yet lol. Squats and leg presses in the gym aren’t as heavy as before yet, for obvious reasons. Good luck with the rest of your recovery, very happy for you!

Purushrottam

« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2018, 02:49:10 AM »

Thank you Purushrottam. Counting the days now.  So close.

Your recovery gives me so much hope that mine will be as smooth. I worry about the lingering pains and aches after consolidation.  Seems your continued level of activity has really helped.

Happy to hear of the continuous process for you! Thank you for taking the time.

No problem! Thats awesome to hear. How much are you planning on lengthening? There were other patients in your age group. None of them seem to be having any lingering aches/pains. I can ask them to verify. They are recovering as well as I am (they lengthened 8 cm, 10 cm, and 7.1 cm).

Purushrottam

« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2018, 02:50:25 AM »

This is a great diary. I stopped lengthening myself a few months earlier than you, back in August, and it seems you’re pretty much on track to how I was when I was recovering. I went to 7.6cm though. I can do everything I could do pre-LL besides Sprint, though I haven’t tried it yet lol. Squats and leg presses in the gym aren’t as heavy as before yet, for obvious reasons. Good luck with the rest of your recovery, very happy for you!

Thanks! Thats good to hear! When were you able to do squats unassisted? Was there any workout you did to improve your squats (other than doing squats..lol)? How much do you squat/leg press now vs pre LL?

Purushrottam

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:13 AM »

Thanks! Thats good to hear! When were you able to do squats unassisted? Was there any workout you did to improve your squats (other than doing squats..lol)? How much do you squat/leg press now vs pre LL?

Nvm, got the ansnwer from Brb's diary.

LAGrowin

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »

No problem! Thats awesome to hear. How much are you planning on lengthening? There were other patients in your age group. None of them seem to be having any lingering aches/pains. I can ask them to verify. They are recovering as well as I am (they lengthened 8 cm, 10 cm, and 7.1 cm).

Thank you!  Yes if you don't mind asking,  that would be great! 

I decided to stop at 7cm.  I am beyond tight not and experiencing some tough pain.  I know it's normal in the 5-6cm range.

That's some serious lengthening for them.  Wow!

Purushrottam

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »

Thank you!  Yes if you don't mind asking,  that would be great! 

I decided to stop at 7cm.  I am beyond tight not and experiencing some tough pain.  I know it's normal in the 5-6cm range.

That's some serious lengthening for them.  Wow!

Yeah just heard back. They don't have any aches/pains. I should add that even though they were older (40s), their flexibility came back much earlier than mine did. It's because they stretched more. I had faster bone recovery.

Mini Update:

I just ran .27 miles in 2 minutes w.o stopping. That's 7:50 mile pace. I stopped because I was out of breath, not because of pain in my legs. I thought Iwas jogging slowly but I suppose the longer legs give you a slight speed bonus. That same pace felt like what 8:40 used to feel like pre LL. About to hit the gym for 2 hours.

FormerKidd

« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:53 PM »

Hey Puru,

Following in your footsteps, I had my surgery a few weeks ago.  You might be a cm or two taller than I was, but I may stop at around 6.5 as well.

Did you have any swelling or tightness in your knees?  These have been my problems, but I don't recall seeing that mentioned in any of the diaries.

LAGrowin

« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2018, 05:09:02 AM »

Yeah just heard back. They don't have any aches/pains. I should add that even though they were older (40s), their flexibility came back much earlier than mine did. It's because they stretched more. I had faster bone recovery.

Mini Update:

I just ran .27 miles in 2 minutes w.o stopping. That's 7:50 mile pace. I stopped because I was out of breath, not because of pain in my legs. I thought Iwas jogging slowly but I suppose the longer legs give you a slight speed bonus. That same pace felt like what 8:40 used to feel like pre LL. About to hit the gym for 2 hours.

Thank you for checking with them,  I appreciate it. That is very good to hear.  Like I said, my legs feel like they just won't stretch anymore. Very tough last phase.

Glad to hear your running has improved so much!!  Must feel good.

Brb6ftTall

« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

Thought I’d reply to this, even though you said you read my diary, just to give you a bit more info.

I was technically able to squat aince January, which was about 2 months after i started walking. The squats were really difficult though, my quads were tight and even doing the bar was hard. To build strength, I did 5 sets of 10 reps of leg press starting with an empty sled and then moving up 5 lbs every session. Eventually I got to 25 lbs plates on each side, which is when I moved on to squats.

In order to squat properly, I have to take a much wider stance than normal and point my legs outward to “trick” them into thinking theyre shorter. Look up how to squat with long femurs to see what i mean. I also wear lifting shoes with a heel, because ankle flexibility is poor after surgery. Stretching your quads is also super important, and 90% of the time my first set of squats feels very weird - super limited range of motion. But the second set always feels good, and so do the rest. You might feel better than me though since you did lengthen less.

For reference:
~300 lbs Leg Press pre-LL, currently ~150 lbs post LL (after 2 months)
205 lbs squat pre-LL, currently 105 lbs post LL (after 1 month, but after stengthening first from leg press)

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, i’ll be keeping an eye on your diary!

Purushrottam

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2018, 02:12:23 AM »

Hey Puru,

Following in your footsteps, I had my surgery a few weeks ago.  You might be a cm or two taller than I was, but I may stop at around 6.5 as well.

Did you have any swelling or tightness in your knees?  These have been my problems, but I don't recall seeing that mentioned in any of the diaries.

Nice! Hope you are well so far. I am not sure if I can describe what I had as swelling. When you lengthen, your femurs push into your knees, making them very sensitive and vulnerable. I had some occasional sharp pain near my knees but it turned out that was nerve pain from my skin stretching. I didn't have any particular tightness in my knees. I was able to bend my legs past 90 degrees for most of my journey.

Thank you for checking with them,  I appreciate it. That is very good to hear.  Like I said, my legs feel like they just won't stretch anymore. Very tough last phase.

Glad to hear your running has improved so much!!  Must feel good.

No problem, LAGrowin! Yeah push thru! Its short term pain thats totally worth it in the end. I forgot to add one of the patients (40s) that got surgery on the same day as I did is playing soccer now.

Thought I’d reply to this, even though you said you read my diary, just to give you a bit more info.

I was technically able to squat aince January, which was about 2 months after i started walking. The squats were really difficult though, my quads were tight and even doing the bar was hard. To build strength, I did 5 sets of 10 reps of leg press starting with an empty sled and then moving up 5 lbs every session. Eventually I got to 25 lbs plates on each side, which is when I moved on to squats.

In order to squat properly, I have to take a much wider stance than normal and point my legs outward to “trick” them into thinking theyre shorter. Look up how to squat with long femurs to see what i mean. I also wear lifting shoes with a heel, because ankle flexibility is poor after surgery. Stretching your quads is also super important, and 90% of the time my first set of squats feels very weird - super limited range of motion. But the second set always feels good, and so do the rest. You might feel better than me though since you did lengthen less.

For reference:
~300 lbs Leg Press pre-LL, currently ~150 lbs post LL (after 2 months)
205 lbs squat pre-LL, currently 105 lbs post LL (after 1 month, but after stengthening first from leg press)

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, i’ll be keeping an eye on your diary!

Thanks for answering! Wow I am doing something similar. However I am doing 4 x 10 on the legpress with 2 plates (45 + 45). I still don't have the strength to do an unassisted squat. It might be because I have a really heavy torso. I will try your suggestion. My quad flexibility is still pretty low though but its improving.

Small, minor update:

I jogged .4 miles yesterday at an 8:50 pace. No pain, just out of breath. I think the weaker/longer muscles require greater exertion vs before.
Still can't squat unassisted.
I'm not sure if these incremental updates are useful or not.

Purushrottam

« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2018, 04:10:13 AM »

I just noticed something really weird. I was walking down the sidewalk the other day. A large group of people were coming my way. Right as I noticed them, I was about to move out of the way. By the time I started, they all moved out of the way to make room for me. I was completely shocked. I was used to moving out of the way of people. I had to override my subconscious reaction of moving out of the way. Sometimes I would forget.

After that I noticed more and more that people were getting out of my way on the sidewalk. This did not happen before LL. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it.

myloginacct

« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »

I just noticed something really weird. I was walking down the sidewalk the other day. A large group of people were coming my way. Right as I noticed them, I was about to move out of the way. By the time I started, they all moved out of the way to make room for me. I was completely shocked. I was used to moving out of the way of people. I had to override my subconscious reaction of moving out of the way. Sometimes I would forget.

After that I noticed more and more that people were getting out of my way on the sidewalk. This did not happen before LL. Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into it.

It could be you're subconsciously carrying yourself with much more confidence and giving that vibe, or it could definitely be because of the new height.

Either way, it's the kind of qualia we can only experience and notice after something about us visibly changes.

Android

« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »

That's just how the world works apparently:
Human Height Is Positively Related to Interpersonal Dominance in Dyadic Interactions
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up