Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why so many people are doing (internal) femurs?  (Read 5203 times)

Knik

Re: Why so many people are doing (internal) femurs?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »

"internal is faster with minimal scar"
that's actually wrong. It depend on the doctor. But Pili told me that there is more scars with external (tibias - of course externals are not the good solution for femurs), but they are small and disappearing faster
Also with internals you don't have to support these things attached to your legs but both internal femurs and externals tibias give a long recovery
And look at Unicorn, you will see that internal femurs even with one of the more expensive and present doctor is not safe.
Looking for Pili

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »

"internal is faster with minimal scar"
that's actually wrong. It depend on the doctor. But Pili told me that there is more scars with external (tibias - of course externals are not the good solution for femurs), but they are small and disappearing faster
Also with internals you don't have to support these things attached to your legs but both internal femurs and externals tibias give a long recovery
And look at Unicorn, you will see that internal femurs even with one of the more expensive and present doctor is not safe.

Thanks thephilo, yes agree - nothing is certain and depends on doctors and varies from case to case. I did not get this point of yours - 'but both internal femurs and externals tibias give a long recovery' , I thought external tibia and internal femurs are the fastest recovery options of all? thanks.

MirinHeight

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 05:54:04 AM »

1. femur lengthening changes mechanical axis
2. internal procedures are more dangerous and risky due to being more invasive.

best safest ll procedure:
3-5 cm external tibias with a respected cll surgeon
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MirinHeight

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »

I know that amputation is a risk when going under the leg lengthening procedure.
What risks or factors lead to amputation. What is the reason the leg has to be amputated.
I'm sure it has to do with some serious infection.

And if it does, this is another reason in my opinion why external fixation> LON/LATN and precise techniques when it comes to risks.
Highly unlikely that you will develop a serious infection with external fixation (only pin site infections). But when you use intramedullary rods, you can develop some serious infections that can cause loss of limbs whereas the only infections seen with external fixators are pin site infections which are easy to catch and take care of.

Also a lot more unlikely for one to develop fat embolism (even seen with Dr. Paley) when going through with the internal fixation which can lead to coma/death.

I have done a lot of research on this procedure, and nailing of the long bones carries a lot more risk than the "external fixation only" approach did.

Doctors have developed this precise nail and it is a great piece of technology that has the potential for you to gain significant height, but it carries much more risk than external fixation procedures. Furthermore, doctors are getting paid a lot more for using the precise nail, so do not believe everything that they say.

My advice is to do external fixation ONLY on tibias for 5 cm or less (only go up to 5 cm for externals) first,
And if you really still don't like the height you are at, and would like to do the nailing techniques,  knowing there are more and bigger risks, then do up to 5-7 cm via precise on femurs.
But I highly advise against internal-medullary reaming techniques due to the risks it carries

Furthermore Deep vein Thrombosis that leads to pulmonary embolism and can kill you is also a big risk when doing surgery on femurs...

"Deep vein thrombosis (throm-BO-sis), or DVT, is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body. Blood clots occur when blood thickens and clumps together.

Most deep vein blood clots occur in the lower leg or thigh. They also can occur in other parts of the body.

A blood clot in a deep vein can break off and travel through the bloodstream. The loose clot is called an embolus (EM-bo-lus). It can travel to an artery in the lungs and block blood flow. This condition is called pulmonary embolism (PULL-mun-ary EM-bo-lizm), or PE. (different from fat embolism!)

PE is a very serious condition. It can damage the lungs and other organs in the body and cause death.

Blood clots in the thighs are more likely to break off and cause PE than blood clots in the lower legs or other parts of the body. "

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

The Dreamer

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »

Lengthening tibias also changes the biomechanical axis.It will give you a shorter gait while lengthening femurs will cause a longer gait.
It is more probable to mess up the biomechanics through lengthening tibias than femurs,since femurs are naturally the longest bones in our body.
Femurs,having more blood supplies,regenerate way easier.According to the docs,internal femurs are less painful and more confortable than external tibias.
As far as I know the risks of PE and fat embolism can be lowered doing unilateral procedures.But they are similar in internal femurs and external tibias.
Can you link some articles where it is stated that internal femurs carries more risk of PE and fat embolism ? I've never heard about it
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up