Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I MUST remove the nails with LON method?  (Read 842 times)

zephyr30

• Visitor
Do I MUST remove the nails with LON method?
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:03:51 AM »

Hello everybody,

I'm in the last days of the first phase of my limb lenghtening project and next tuesday i'll get the second surgery to remove the fixators and lock the nails. I had the femurs lengthened.

Talking to the doctor he said i dont necessarily need the third surgery to remove the internal nails. So my plans t avoid a third procedure and spending more money was to try a normal life with the nails in my bones

The surgery and area are clean. My bones are recovering greatly after a 5cm and nearly 3 months from the first surgery. No big pains, infections, nothing. Just discomfort.

I wonder what are the problems of making this decision. Do I must remove it? (From a clinical/medical point of view of course) or is it safe to let it in? Why must someone remove the nails?

biggerdreams

Re: Do I MUST remove the nails with LON method?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:29:46 AM »

Who is your doctor?

zephyr30

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:18:05 AM »

Not known in the community
But certainly a good doctor in my country. He actually has a clinic with 2 partners and they are probably the best intheir field over here

but i wanted to hear other opinions about that. Im a little bit confused with this and im a little afraid of him not being fair. But i still doubt very much

Anyway do you have an answer?

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »

With internal nails you'll never feel your bone completely ok.
Rehabilitation improves after nail removing so leaving them forever is not a good choice.
After all nail removal is not expensive so I would definitely do it.

FDR101

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »

The nail and rods are a different material than your bone. When you walk/run there is a forces in both the up and down direction. Your bone has elasticity, which allows it to adapt best biomechanically to these forces when you are walking / running.

The nail and rods have close to zero elasticity, so they really affect you negatively biomechanically.

If I was you I’d be looking forward to getting all those foreign materials out of my bones.

zephyr30

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »

hmm I'm understanding
I will think about it
Pages: [1]   Go Up