Yes
- 2 (11.1%)
No
- 13 (72.2%)
Undecided For Now
- 3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Karma Credbility - Yes Or No  (Read 5227 times)

Muse

Karma Credbility - Yes Or No
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »

There's the option to have Karma Credibility (Clap/Boo) feature here.  I'm quite neutral about this and would like to hear whether people think this would useful or unnecessary.   

TomD

• Private
Re: Karma Credbility - Yes Or No
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »

I will tell you why I voted no.

Its because of how fascist it becomes very quickly. You can get jacked up if you make a soft ball post everyone wants to read and ripped apart if you step out and speak your mind.

What usually happens is 'cliques' form . Gangs of friends, We go around giving each other positive reps . Then some guy comes in and says something we dont like and is zapped with negatives. Now nobody will take them seriously.

We are adults here. We dont need a score card to show how cool we are . Let the post dictate the quality of our words, not the reputation of the guy posting it.

NBW

• 5'3"
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:48 AM »

I'll vote no because the system has potential for abuse. It has happened before. I've only seen it work on forums that have been around for years, almost a decade old and is very active. Even with old forum , it's not that active compared to old forums.

I think having the title/badge under their username such as "LL Veteran" or "contributor" is a better approach. Is it possible to have a join date feature below the avatar or something?

rexos

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:03 AM »

I dont think it works. The only way it helped me was to see who was kind of a quak and had negative cred...like astallaswoman who had an obsession with 4-6 inch elevator shoes.  Other than that most people have 2-5.It really makes no difference unless they were in the hundreds and even then crazy+6 who has a lot always seemed a bit obnoxious and high tempered to me and I didn't trust his posts. You can just tell by the way someone writes wether they are trustworthy or not.

TomD

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:44:36 AM »

. Is it possible to have a join date feature below the avatar or something?

This. And continue with showing people how many posts you have lends to your credibility in a tangible way. The longer you are are here and the more you contribute the more folks will appreciate your effort. I like that .

Carter

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

I voted no, because it's RIDICULOUS how many people end up abusing it on old forum .   If I don't agree with your opinion, I'll  down vote your credibility.  And then you'll down vote me back out of spite.  Childish? 

It became more of a popularity contest where people wanted to say all the "right" things and were apprehensive about saying what they really think.     It's good that we are having an open discussion about this, because I never really thought about why the Karma system never felt right to me.

alps

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »

No.
The strong bias that makes all the horrible posts made by a person with high credibility seem good.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

The karma system can be easily abused. In my opinion, if people make worthwhile posts then that will be noticed by other board members and their credibility will be boosted in their eyes, likewise, for those that make bad posts, people will tell and know to take what they say lightly.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

NBW

• 5'3"
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »

Here is a better idea. You have Karma credibility....BUT ON THE COMMENTS ONLY. I should have thought of this earlier. So when someone makes a valuable post, people can 'upvote' it or 'downvote' it. Very similar to reddit and old forums that are using it. It is very effective. It doesn't affect the poster in anyway, and this only assesses the content of the post of how good it is. If it's very bad, eventually it will reach to the point below the threshold of 0 and it will turn into a negative value.

Please implement this function as I believe it's a very good system.

It does have potential for abuse, but not drastically, if the comment is valuable and doesn't reflect the amount of points it receives, the admin has the ability to set it to 0. I don't know. Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:23:14 AM by NBW »

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »

The karma system is susceptible to abuse and this is evident by remembering what happened to Chuck Norris. It is possible for members to create multiple accounts on old forum  and the same will happen here, too. Furthermore, whenever someone criticizes a doctor, they are prone to being creditability-gang-raped by the patients of that doctor. There has also been instances where patients in a guesthouse have ganged up on a member of the forum after a disagreement.

So, no, I'm 100% against it.

I do, however, believe a system should be in place as it would encourage people to post comprehensive updates. Perhaps people could "like" comments as they do on Facebook. On the profile of a user, it should have something that indicates how many "likes" they have per post.

Example: "Frank Garrett has: 231 likes in 184 posts"

NBW

• 5'3"
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:19:26 AM »

I do, however, believe a system should be in place as it would encourage people to post comprehensive updates. Perhaps people could "like" comments as they do on Facebook. On the profile of a user, it should have something that indicates how many "likes" they have per post.

Example: "Frank Garrett has: 231 likes in 184 posts"

I've seen this on forums as well. It is possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up