Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maximum height based on sitting height  (Read 3714 times)

tallertree

Maximum height based on sitting height
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Since i found out about LL im determined this is what i want to do and i have now booked time for consultation in Germany. Im around 162cm and my sitting height is 83cm. Im aiming for around 7-8cm on femurs to reach close to 170cm. What would you say is my maximum height i can reach through LL without looking weird, especially when it comes to sitting height.

IwannaBeTaller

Re: Maximum height based on sitting height
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »

I cannot tell you what height you could reach based on your sitting height, but I can share one experience with you. I did an internship during the summer and my boss was a good deal taller than me (he was about 187 cm, so about 15 cm taller). When we had lunch one day, we sat next to each other on two identical chairs, and his sitting height was the same as mine or even a little less. I kid you not, I was completely baffled by this, but it's true.

So sitting height can vary quite a bit, but it depends on the individual what you can lengthen. However, I think that the well-being of your legs and long-time recovery of physical functions is a lot more important than proportions, so don't go over 5 cm on tibia and 6-7 on femurs if you'd ask me for advice.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

tallertree

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »

I cannot tell you what height you could reach based on your sitting height, but I can share one experience with you. I did an internship during the summer and my boss was a good deal taller than me (he was about 187 cm, so about 15 cm taller). When we had lunch one day, we sat next to each other on two identical chairs, and his sitting height was the same as mine or even a little less. I kid you not, I was completely baffled by this, but it's true.

So sitting height can vary quite a bit, but it depends on the individual what you can lengthen. However, I think that the well-being of your legs and long-time recovery of physical functions is a lot more important than proportions, so don't go over 5 cm on tibia and 6-7 on femurs if you'd ask me for advice.
Interesting, i assume us who knows about LL tend to look and notice these things more often. But you are right, well-being is prio.

My sitting height is 83cm when i stretch my back so "normal" sitting height should be a bit lower.

femoral_indecency

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

You should also look into other factors that will ultimately determine the outcome of esthetics such as desired lengthening amount in relation to overall leg length i.e. what % is your lengthening amount of your overall leg length? (Some doctors advise to not lengthen beyond 20-23% of your total leg length).
It is better to have experienced one's share of evils than to have always wondered what could have been.

jerkey

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »

Hey,

If you check out the human measurements data:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Human/Human_sizes.html
https://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section03.htm

You'll see that for the most part height is in the legs (tibia, femur) as sitting height is similar. In general, the recommendation is to not go past your wingspan (+/- 2.5cm or so) for leg lengthening so that proportions look ok. The caveat I can think of are if you have really broad shoulders (clavicles) and short arms so even if wingspans being equal, you may feel arms look short.

The other thing is, tibia is for the most part about 80% of the length of femur (preserved over different ethnicities, probably some mechanical reason to it). So, you want to lengthen femur, tibia about equally if you want to lengthen alot. The general consensus seems to be up to 5cm per segment gives you acceptable proportion and post surgey function. It is accepted that in doing >5cm in one segment vs. 2 segments 5cm each, the 2 segments results in better function (less stretch of muscles, nerves).

Ie. in summary, you can lengthen:
1) (wingspan - current height) +/- 2.5cm if around 5cm either tibia or femur,
2) 5cm on each tibia and femur for a total of 10cm.

This is given you mind proportions, some may not care and there have been patients who've done as much as 9-10cm on tibias but this is not recommendation not just b/c of proportions but b/c you won't have good function afterwards. The tibia proportion is noticeable when you sit down.

Here is a guy who went from 170cm to 178cm doing 8cm on femurs.

If you have the funds and you want the 7-8cm like you said, I'd say think about doing it in two segments and do it with an experienced doctor. You really want an experienced doctor and not go cheap on this b/c even though you will have better function and proportion with two segments, you want to avoid getting knocked knees (each tibia and femur lengthening causes knock knees on their own) so that you don't get arthritis in the future.

Winterishere

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 04:12:46 AM »

This seems to be quite a challenging question to answer since what looks 'weird' has a different definition to everyone. There are people who naturally have skewed proportions that could be considered 'weird' by the general public perception. Taller people tend to have longer limbs in proportion to their height. When it comes to sitting height I would not view this as a concern, as no one would ever notice unless you are doing an extremely unnatural amount of lengthening. When it comes to your standard leg proportions what you should be concerning yourself with is tibial/femur ratio aesthetically, and not leg/body. Personally I found that a femur lengthening of above 6cm and a tibial lengthening of above 5cm, both individually, seemed to be the number that the ratio started to become noticeable. As this is a personal formed conjecture you should be aware that everyones body is different and therefore there is not any exact number that can ever be made conclusively. If i were you, just keep an eye on your body as it changes through the experience. Try not to go into it with an exact number in mind, although that may be tempting. Instead work towards your goal with realistic expectations and if you ever feel at any time you are becoming uncomfortable with the changes you have the ability to stop. Good luck!

tallertree

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »

Doing both femurs and tibia is to expensive for me i think, at least for now. I think my sitting height is a bit low, i just hope it wont make me look weird. Probably when i meet the doctor for consultation soon he will guide me through the whole thing and recommend a good length.

Overdozer

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »

sitting height / height - should be more or equal to 0.51
in your case
83 / 162 = 0.51234567 - current SH ratio which is low for your height, I'm not sure if you got measurements right, as the usual SH/H ratio for that height is around 0.55. Article below is of very high quality and shows strong negative correlation with height and sh/h ratio. Dutch men are on average 184 cm tall and have 0.51 SH/H, that's the "tall ratio" (average SH 95 cm) Females are 172 cm and 0.53 (average SH 91 cm)
http://adc.bmj.com/content/90/8/807
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

tallertree

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »

Im pretty sure i did the measuring right. But i have also noticed that i have a short sitting height.
Pages: [1]   Go Up