Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Short dutch kickboxer with a tall father  (Read 1724 times)

Short dutch kickboxer with a tall father
« on: October 15, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »

I used to remind myself of this guy whenever I feel bad about being 3-4" than my father. At 5'6.5"/169cm, Robin Van Roosmalen is way shorter than average white male and his father, William Van Roosmalen (bald guy behind him in the pic above) whose height is 6'3"++. Not only is his body short, but also his arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_van_Roosmalen

I talked to him a few years ago on Facebook. He was surprisingly friendly to a random stranger private messaging him such as myself. He said that he's always happy with who he is and his height and it doesn't hinder him from getting women and fighting taller men.

Here's a video of him defeating a taller strong opponent:

Bleda

• Visitor
Re: Short dutch kickboxer with a tall father
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »

And...?

jerkey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »

I am truly wondering what the effect of LL on street fighting and self-defense is. I agree with athletic ability after LL decreasing to variable degrees. However, most street fights end in seconds and doesn't require much endurance. It's hard to evade/block strikes and they often end with a few well-placed forceful strikes (ie. if it is going down anyway, you should either strike first or run). The endurance part I think only applies to getting away after or running away. You will be slower during recovery, but how about after a few years?

If you look at LL, for tibia lengthening, the part of the nerve stretched are foot sensation nerves as muscles that move the foot are in the calf region. Muscle is stretched and balance is off after LL but I wonder if this can't be overcome with learning fighting skills and training the muscle (bring back strength, lower centre of gravity again with increasing lower body mass). Often, people tear their muscles or tendons and after surgery have pretty good function (ex. many pro lifters tear quad and bicep tendons and still come back after surgery). For femoral lengthening, maybe the argument can be made one is stretching part of the nerves that actually move the muscle, but after years the nerve will probably grow longer (peripheral nerves grow back after being cut to a certain degree).

If one isn't either a pro or amateur fighter, for self-defense purpoess I wonder if LL will signficantly affect this. Any comments are appreciated.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »

I am truly wondering what the effect of LL on street fighting and self-defense is. I agree with athletic ability after LL decreasing to variable degrees. However, most street fights end in seconds and doesn't require much endurance. It's hard to evade/block strikes and they often end with a few well-placed forceful strikes (ie. if it is going down anyway, you should either strike first or run). The endurance part I think only applies to getting away after or running away. You will be slower during recovery, but how about after a few years?

If you look at LL, for tibia lengthening, the part of the nerve stretched are foot sensation nerves as muscles that move the foot are in the calf region. Muscle is stretched and balance is off after LL but I wonder if this can't be overcome with learning fighting skills and training the muscle (bring back strength, lower centre of gravity again with increasing lower body mass). Often, people tear their muscles or tendons and after surgery have pretty good function (ex. many pro lifters tear quad and bicep tendons and still come back after surgery). For femoral lengthening, maybe the argument can be made one is stretching part of the nerves that actually move the muscle, but after years the nerve will probably grow longer (peripheral nerves grow back after being cut to a certain degree).

If one isn't either a pro or amateur fighter, for self-defense purpoess I wonder if LL will signficantly affect this. Any comments are appreciated.

Balancing is the most important aspect in self-defense. You're going to fall easily if you're not balance, you're not gonna be able to stand firm. Punching power is generated from the leg. If your legs are fked, then you're not going to have any power.

This can only be overcome by getting a gun or learning knife throwing, I think.

jerkey

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »

You won't fall that easily - we do walk, play sports, etc. Its just that balance isn't as good as before. In terms of leg strength, there really isn't anything stopping you from gaining muscle strength.

How many cm's are you planning to do?

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:58:01 PM »

Isn't that weird how genetics work? I'm pretty sure he didn't stunt his growth that much and was not supposed to reach his father's height. He grew up in the Netherlands after all, which has the highest standards of available health care and nutrition. He simply got a set of genetics that made him the height he is now. That's just how life is like - not all tall parents have tall children.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

jerkey

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:45 PM »

Also, keep in mind this is an athlete, not an average individual. In his wiki page it says he started training at age 3. It is unknown if he had to cut weight for competition during his peak growing years (wrestlers, weightlifters, gymnasts tend to be short). There's also the possibility of steroid use which isn't uncommon among those trying to get into competitive sports.

Now, to end things on a cynical note, non-paternity rates (mailman child) is as high as 10% in the US according to some estimates...

Pages: [1]   Go Up