Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Sport and height neurosis  (Read 2620 times)

Knik

US Sport and height neurosis
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »

Hello,

I just wanted to share this here : http://www.naturalheightgrowth.com/2015/03/20/the-unhealthy-obsession-of-basketball-players-towards-height/

The height obsession in basketball and in a large way in USA because I don't forget Reilly Opelka and John Isner (tennis) is very unhealthy. But finally, and especially in NBA it goes in the spectacular side. I've always wondered how people can like to see giants people running. That sport is not for average guys. We are nearer than a Freaks show rather than a true sport. But I was asking me why I am alone to think that. When I see 5'9 guys fight them about a player height (ohoh Kevin Durant are you here), I find that kind of funny. How many times I've heard from some average guys talking by a giant one like Vincent Pourchot "we should not waste his talent" just because he's very tall. And the fact is that I never saw a 6-7/8+ guy in my life and I'm talking about guys I can't even imagine how tall they are. 

That height obsession is not only for basketball, but in other sports it's more moderate. Don't forget that Mike Tyson is just an average guy. Even in NBA, there is Allen Iverson who is an average guy but there is not many exemple.

As the link show it, since 90's NBA developed a very annonying obsession for height. Like if it was the only thing important. At this level they should consider Sim Bhullar better than Derrick Rose ? That's not the case, of course.
I hope it will change, because in european sports like football height is not really important. There is a lot of famous under average players. And I'm afraid to see that kind of mentallity to develop in Europe. Basketball is more and more popular, and with basketball of course more and more tall guys come outs of the shadow : Olivier Gouez, Rudy Gobert, etc. I'm a bit afraid of that situation, see that same obsession in France. That's already the case for basketball, but not for other sports.

Also asking myself how they can find so many tall guys. I know that of course there is some, but how in a country like Philippines they can find easily 7ft guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_men%27s_national_basketball_team (my opinion is that they are upgrading their players, that's already the case in NBA and in most sports - volleyball (russian female team where the shortest girl is listed at 5-8 while she is mostly under 5-5) and tennis (Ana Ivanovic) to give an exemple - that's even more ludicrous). Also have the opinion that this height neurosis is already present in most slavic countries especially since USSR (my exemple) but not yest in western Europe.

So just made this to share an opinion, why not opening a discussion but I think that most people will agreed. Make me feel that my insecurity would be even bigger if I was american, hopefully I'm european and here popular sports are not only axed on height (but baseball is great!)
It seems that there is no place for average guys in professionnal sport. Or rather that the average guys will magically see their height increased like Porzingis who was 7ft before going to the USA and is now listed at 7ft3
Looking for Pili

Re: US Sport and height neurosis
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »

Well, In NBA, it's not really a height "obsession" in my opinion cause you DO have to preferably be closer to the basket in order to have an advantage and compete at the highest level. It's a sport that revolves around height and wingspan so it's understandable. I think mainly women are more height obsessed since they want to feel protected (I guess that's the primitive part of their brain functioning). I saw a very tall good-looking security guard the other day when I went to the club and he was definitely in the 6'4+ region if I had to guess but I'd imagine most women would want to be with someone like that since they would feel protected seeing as not many people are that big generally. In the NFL/MLB/NHL/Soccer there isn't that height obsession since those sports don't really give you an advantage whether your tall/short/average as long as you can play (depending on the postion for NFL).

femoral_indecency

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »

Maybe it's my confirmation bias but lately over the last year or two I've been seeing a lot of height related insults emerge in sports, especially the hyper-masculinized ones such as MMA. Ironically, Nate Diaz (your profile pic) is one of the main perpetrators of this. Between his bouts with Conor McGregor (who, in my opinion, just barely escapes society's threshold for cruel height related jokes at 5'9), Nate would try to discredit Conor's previous wins by stating "You've been beating little midgets (5'6-5'7 range opponents), while I've been fighting normal sized adults" and "I saw you stand on your tippy toes during our weigh-ins little man" etc. It is unfortunate to see such discrimination but it is a reality in sports.
It is better to have experienced one's share of evils than to have always wondered what could have been.

Knik

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »

the fact is Nate Diaz is """only""" 6ft, so he would be consider as short in some other sports. That the most funny.
Looking for Pili

Knik

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »

https://twitter.com/si_vault/status/912492078013263872
http://www.nfl.com/player/larryfitzgerald/2506106/profile
here is a US footballer listed at ... 6'3. So the photographer have to be 6'7 or 6'8. USA is really another dimension, not the same world.

Also about basketball
In 50's Nera White was one of the tallest, listed at 6'1 (that would mean something like 6ft)
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/04/13/tennessee-native-basketball-icon-nera-white-dies/83015652/
But now it's not enough. They want girls like Lisa Leslie (listed at 6'5.5 but rather 6'4.5) or Alisson Bales and they are still upgrading them.
Looking for Pili

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »

Usa is the country of shallowness and stupidity, the only good thing is they have good LL doctors. :D

So I really can't understand why should someone care about all these.
Most of us know the height borders that after you pass them you look fine and anyone will never have anything negative to feel about your height so I really don't give a fk what Diaz or sport press in Usa say about heights.

MrHandsome

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »

This is irrelevent no one on this forum is an athlete and their opinions don't matter.

Knik

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »

Usa is the country of shallowness and stupidity, the only good thing is they have good LL doctors. :D

So I really can't understand why should someone care about all these.
Most of us know the height borders that after you ps them you look fine and anyone will never have anything negative to feel about your height so I really don't give a fk what Diaz or sport press in Usa say about heights.

Not only the USA. Because if you look at China sports team (volleyball, basketball, strictly everything) you will see that players are very tall, taller than european players. I think it's because they have a rude policy about height, especially in sports. They choose of course tall players, they downgrade their height to give the impression that their athletes are very tall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_women%27s_national_volleyball_team
the shortest player of their volleyball female team is 5'9, while female average in China is about 5'2. 5'9 is an average american male. 6'3-6'7 chinese girls playing volleyball, if that is not a freak show what it is ?
So you will explain me how not to be insecure when you see this ?

And yes nobody here is not an athlete, it's not an excuse.
Looking for Pili

Knik

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

This is irrelevent no one on this forum is an athlete and their opinions don't matter.

This comment is very stupid. Do you know ?
If you're insecure it's mostly because all this height atmosphere around us, and sport-show have importance.
Looking for Pili

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »

Not only the USA. Because if you look at China sports team (volleyball, basketball, strictly everything) you will see that players are very tall, taller than european players. I think it's because they have a rude policy about height, especially in sports. They choose of course tall players, they downgrade their height to give the impression that their athletes are very tall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_women%27s_national_volleyball_team
the shortest player of their volleyball female team is 5'9, while female average in China is about 5'2. 5'9 is an average american male.
So you will explain me how not to be insecure when you see this ?
China has 1.5 billion people. It is very easy to find 20-30 tall women to play voley ball. That has nothing to do with the average person nor it should cause any insecurity to him.

And also, sports like volley need tall players so it is normal the height to ve so important.
For other sports like lifting weights height is a disadvantage. Have you seen anyone to mention the small height of weightlifters in a negative way?

I can understand your point but we should not feel insecure about anything that has to do with height.
My only problem in height is on dating. Nothing else. If someone made fun of my previous shirt height (very rare) I made fun of his tall height or his lack of muscles or something else. Anyone has drawbacks and it is up to us to confront them if they say anything bad about our height.
But women's preferences is something that can't change and thats why I still have problem with my height. Anything else is very insignificant for me, not now I am average but even before LL.

Knik

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:33:16 PM »

China has 1.5 billion people. It is very easy to find 20-30 tall women to play voley ball. That has nothing to do with the average person nor it should cause any insecurity to him.

And also, sports like volley need tall players so it is normal the height to ve so important.
For other sports like lifting weights height is a disadvantage. Have you seen anyone to mention the small height of weightlifters in a negative way?

I can understand your point but we should not feel insecure about anything that has to do with height.
My only problem in height is on dating. Nothing else. If someone made fun of my previous shirt height (very rare) I made fun of his tall height or his lack of muscles or something else. Anyone has drawbacks and it is up to us to confront them if they say anything bad about our height.
But women's preferences is something that can't change and thats why I still have problem with my height. Anything else is very insignificant for me, not now I am average but even before LL.

It's not easy to find 6-7 woman, everywhere. Even in a country like China. I remember that the tallest french woman is under 6-7, I know France is not China but it's still a big country of 66 000 000. And I take volleyball as exemple, but that's also the case for beach volley, natation, basketball, handball, tennis, water-polo, etc.
But the fact is that I'm not taking these listening seriously. I really think they are cheated. How can female players be taller than european male basketball player (if we make average on many european team we would find the same) ?
The fact is in our actual world the tallest you are the better it is. I will start to think that Brahim Takioullah is the ideal male.
Hopefully there is some sports where height is not so important. Baseball for exemple, even if there is tall guys there is not that height ideology like in tennis.

I feel that medias and everything around it (so sports) are making everything to belittle simple/average people (and here I'm not talking only about height, but also intelligence, beauty, success). Life was probably better before all of this (before that evolution of informations with TV, radio, internet, magazines, etc). When model wasn't judged (only) on their height and weight but on their general elegance for exemple. We know that there is very tall man, but I don't think that we need to see them everyday at television (NBA, but also some shows).
I really don't understand success of basketball. I admit there is some seductive personnalities : Charles Barkley, MJ, Kobe Bryant, James Harden, etc but that's the only thing good in basketball.

And just a small comparison with Chinese team where average is about 6-2/3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_women%27s_national_volleyball_team
Japanese team, here the tallest female player is "only" 6-2. And genetically they are similar. So it's clearly a chinese choice to select tallest players or maybe only to upgrade their height by cheating.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:55:41 PM by theophilo »
Looking for Pili

Body Builder

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 01:48:23 AM »

And I repeat.
In 1.5 billion people or to be specific to 800 million women, finding 20-30 tall women who play good volley is very easy.
Japan has 5% of China's population so you can't compare them.

And I don't care what media and all these   say.
Maybe for media a 7 foot basketball player is a god, for me is a poor disproportionate and skinny guy who can't ebemmven drive a normal car.

It is up to us to take all media bs as serious or to write them on our balls because they have no value.

MrHandsome

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »

The fact is that being short screws you over in dating period. No matter what you do as a short man you are considered a loser to women. You cannot be sexually attractive as a short man to women.

myloginacct

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 04:45:25 AM »

The fact is in our actual world the tallest you are the better it is. I will start to think that Brahim Takioullah is the ideal male.

Don't go ahead thinking things like this. It's bs. You're setting yourself up for mental torture.

The truth is that there is no such thing as height being something where the more you have, the better off you are. Check the super tall people who undergo limb shortening. Check the women who aren't into guys who are too tall. Check the lower life expectancy and increased cancer rates in taller people.

"Better" is subjective and depends on the perspective of a human onlooker. There's no universal "better". If we were to try and choose one height as the ideal male height from input from most cultures around the globe, it'd end up being either 180cm or 182cm (6 feet). Nothing insanely tall.

Japanese team, here the tallest female player is "only" 6-2. And genetically they are similar. So it's clearly a chinese choice to select tallest players or maybe only to upgrade their height by cheating.

Now here you are incorrect, and I just wanted to nitpick it. The Japanese and the Chinese (as a nationality) aren't that similar. China has many isolated ethnic groups. Among them, you have some who are the tallest East Asians on the planet. The Japanese islands weren't colonized by these ethnic groups. It's much easier for China to pick tall female players than it is for Japan.

myloginacct

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 04:50:45 AM »

The fact is that being short screws you over in dating period. No matter what you do as a short man you are considered a loser to women. You cannot be sxxually attractive as a short man to women.

That's not true at all. Only to taller women.

This guy is your height and his followers are basically all women who are thirsty for him. I know of even shorter dudes with even more followers.

Knik

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »

In that case you can make a comparison with India.
Looking for Pili

Knik

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »

Don't go ahead thinking things like this. It's bs. You're setting yourself up for mental torture.

The truth is that there is no such thing as height being something where the more you have, the better off you are. Check the super tall people who undergo limb shortening. Check the women who aren't into guys who are too tall. Check the lower life expectancy and increased cancer rates in taller people.

"Better" is subjective and depends on the perspective of a human onlooker. There's no universal "better". If we were to try and choose one height as the ideal male height from input from most cultures around the globe, it'd end up being either 180cm or 182cm (6 feet). Nothing insanely tall.

Now here you are incorrect, and I just wanted to nitpick it. The Japanese and the Chinese (as a nationality) aren't that similar. China has many isolated ethnic groups. Among them, you have some who are the tallest East Asians on the planet. The Japanese islands weren't colonized by these ethnic groups. It's much easier for China to pick tall female players than it is for Japan.

Yes you're right about China/Japan ethnies. But it seems that height average is similar between the two countries, even if it can be different among some ethnic groups. But yes I understand that it is easier in China, biggest country, more people, etc. But finding so many very tall women is still surprising, even in a country of 1.5billions of people. And I didn't put men's national team, but you guess that they are even taller.
I don't know how many 7 footers there is in the world, not so much I use to think but they are overrepresented in sport.

And I found another exemple that basketball team are cheating, even when it's "national". https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152737339039531&set=ecnf.766999530&type=3&theater Here is Jessica Periago, listed at 1m93 (http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_uHP8sHguJSYAvKyuMkarZ1.season_2006.roundID_4819.teamID_282.playerID_48589.html) with Greg McMullen listed at 1m91 (http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205371468). I assume we don't see the ground but there is other pictures. I just want to show you how ludicrous are these listening, you can't take them seriously.
Looking for Pili
Pages: [1]   Go Up