Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia  (Read 38760 times)

Jim_dabarber

Re: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »

that tibia got really good regenerate even better than femur. At least it looks like this from the xray.
It does. The femur has really good regenerate also just cant see in the long film xray. Im going to try and get the lat view of the femur to post it. It looks really nice also but the tibia is forsure better. No sign of malunion so im extremely happy!
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

Android

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2018, 12:55:41 AM »

Good stuff Jim, when do you start part two (your opposite limbs)?
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »

Good stuff Jim, when do you start part two (your opposite limbs)?
Thanks Android! I was going to wait a year but now decided to go ahead and start as soon as my bones consolidate. So i say 3 months or so. Maybe sooner.
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

rnar

• Visitor
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 02:02:43 AM »

It's not a regenerate on the tibia what you see in the long film but the half section of broken tibia due to stair-case like osteotomy. Take a look at his previous posted images with xrays following the surgery to know what I'm taking about.

rnar

• Visitor
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2018, 02:10:31 AM »

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that you don't have good regenerate on tibia but it's not what people see on your long film. On your long film it's a half of your old bone. You can definitely see it what it is on lateral views in the case of the stair-case osteotomy, though. Everything looks good anyways.

Zeo

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »

lol the comments on imgur from those random people are hilarious.

it's pretty much what happens when you try to explain LL to someone thats not in the LL community
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2018, 05:21:19 AM »

Exactly why it's pointless to explain in the first place. And I dont know if you know the forum page called bodybuildingforums but it's complete cancer :D

ghost in your house

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »

May I know how much does it cost to install nails on the tibia?

Frost

• Visitor
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »

your frames look super cool in those pics. I'm currently doing LL in Volgograd Russia with Dr. Barinov. Almost done lengthening. Enjoying your diary and wish you good health.
5'6.5'' lengthened 6.5cm in Volgograd with Dr. Barinov OP: October 25th 2017. 5'9" currently with IM nail. Personally don't recommend doing LL at this clinic.

Android

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

lol the comments on imgur from those random people are hilarious.

it's pretty much what happens when you try to explain LL to someone thats not in the LL community

Yep, I can't help myself but to read those Imgur comments. Granted, not many imagine that this is voluntary surgery.

Exactly why it's pointless to explain in the first place. And I dont know if you know the forum page called bodybuildingforums but it's complete cancer :D

I've seen a post there with a person who knew very little about CLL, but more than the others. He basically enlightened everyone there that doctors will continuously break your bones over and over; made LL sound painless in comparison.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »

May I know how much does it cost to install nails on the tibia?
It all varies on different factors. What hospital you choose. Type of nails used and how many days youll be in hospital. Here is dr kulesh estimates.
Second surgery:
We recommend:
in private clinic - 296.000 (LATN – second step)
+ cost of 2 nails:
110.000x2 = 220.000 (Chinese nails)
130.000x2 = 260.000 (American nails)
+ 3 days in clinic:
8.532x3=25.596 (double room)
11.340x3=34.020 (single room)
19.872x3=59.616 (lux room)
OR
in private clinic - 137.000 (LON – second step)
+ 2 days in clinic:
8.532x2=17.064 (double room)
11.340x2=22.680 (single room)
19.872x2=39.744 (lux room)

We consider admissible:
in municipal clinic – 148.000 (LATN – second step)
(without visa – 240.000)
+ cost of 2 nails:
23.000x2 = 46.000 (Russian nails)
57.500x2 = 115.000 (American nails)
+ 3 days in clinic:
4.400x3=13.200 (single room)
4.700 x3=14.100 (lux room)
OR
in municipal clinic – 73.000 (LON – second step)
(without visa – 163.000)
+ 2 days in clinic:
4.400x2=8.800 (single room)
4.700 x2=9.400 (lux room)

myloginacct

« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »

How hard were the trips between Russia and the US after your first surgery?

Thanks, man.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »

How hard were the trips between Russia and the US after your first surgery?

Thanks, man.
The trip after my surgery was really painful. 14 hours in a plane with frames and just a week after surgery is not easy. I was lucky enough that the 10 hours from Moscow to NewYork the plane was not full so i actually had a full 3 seats to myself but even then i was still in pain constantly having to move positions and stretch. On the way back to Russia for frame removal i thought i would be better but again its really uncomfortable because of the femur frame. I think if it was just tibias it would be a lot easier.  Im actually leaving Russia as we speak. No frames on tho but i just had them removed friday so its not even a week so im still sore. I paid extra for the premium economy seat on the 10hour flight so hopefully its not so bad. I will give everyone an update of how everything went when i arrive home.

doomsday

« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »

yeah man , it would be awesome to see some xrays. anyway im glad youre ok.

Big Decision

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2018, 09:35:02 PM »

hey guys
new here and very confused

i'm thinking about LL for a while and don't know really how you guys chose your Dr, i'v sent message to a few Dr and they never got back back to me

I don't have money to do it with Paley so my options are limited to the cheapest,
Also nobody talks about taking such a long time off from work, i still don't know how long i should take my time off from work and how i can do that , since i can't talk about what i'm doing to anybody

my budget is limited
do you guys know how i can talk to Dr Solomin or other Russian Dr? i just wanna arrange a consultation fly to Russia from Canada and then do it!!

I'm thinking about 3inch 7.5 to 8 on my femur

It's a big decision because i do martial art and i got flexible legs, Split, not a problem and i know after all these im gonna loose it all!!'but i have made my mind!!

Android

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:48 PM »

i'm thinking about LL for a while and don't know really how you guys chose your Dr, i'v sent message to a few Dr and they never got back back to me

Also nobody talks about taking such a long time off from work, i still don't know how long i should take my time off from work and how i can do that , since i can't talk about what i'm doing to anybody

Make sure you're sending your inquiries to the right addresses. Email both at same time, but expect only Dr. Kulesh to respond:
kulesh_pavel@mail.ru
solomin.leonid@gmail.com

About taking time off, I'm going to just quit my job, staying wherever the clinic is to make recovery as easy and safe as possible. Look around the forums and you'll see this mentioned by others too, like Purushrottam. Some take a month or more off in the form of a sabbatical, don't expect to do that unless you've been with a company for a while. And if you're doing external femurs, you're really going to regret having to work.

Big Decision

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2018, 04:21:11 AM »

thank you very much Android, i appreciate that

Big Decision

« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2018, 03:58:26 AM »

Hey Jim_dabarber so you went back to  for lengthening phase? are you visiting local orthopedic doctor? how are you doing now?

Did you take time off from work ?
hope everything is ok

I'm thinking about flying back to my country after done the LON surgery and go back to work during the lengthening phase, in that case i need to get a referral from my family doctor and find a orthopedic doctor for check ups, it's not easy! it seems risky.

Big Decision

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »

Hey frost,
how wide is your frame, can you sort of cover it with pants?
And how much mobility you have during distraction? Do you think you can drive a car?

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »

Hey Jim_dabarber so you went back to  for lengthening phase? are you visiting local orthopedic doctor? how are you doing now?

Did you take time off from work ?
hope everything is ok

I'm thinking about flying back to my country after done the LON surgery and go back to work during the lengthening phase, in that case i need to get a referral from my family doctor and find a orthopedic doctor for check ups, it's not easy! it seems risky.
Yes for the lengthening phase i came home and then returned to Russia for correction and frame removal. Im doing way better now than i was after coming back. I had to distract 1cm extra in Russia as doing LATN on my tibia i was going to lose height gained and i had to compensate for that. In doing so i lengthened to fast and developed ballerina foot. Im currently working hard on stretching everyday to get rid of it and its pregressing but very slowely. I also got nerve damage so sleeping has been terrible as the pain increases at night. I had nerve conduction tests done last week and next week i go in for the results. Hopefully its nothing serious. Yes i been out of work since nov 26. Working would be impossible for me as the job i did involved me on my feet and carrying heavy stuff all day.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »

30 days post frame removal and im still having pain. Mainly because of nerve damage and ballerina foot. Im finally able to put my foot at a 90 degree angle but the pain from stretching my calf and achilles is really painful. Even worse than the lengthening itself from LL. Dorsiflexion is terrible. Im praying that things get better soon. Although im sure that once im fully consolidated and walking around that ill see results way faster. My femur is doing really good actually. No pain at all only when i work on my knee rom but thats because of tight quads but ive managed to get my knee rom to about a 120 degrees which is a great improvement from 60 degrees after frame removal. Another month and im confident ill regain my full range of motion. Ill attach some xrays that were taken 10 days ago.

https://imgur.com/gallery/D2K7B

Android

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »

Sorry to hear about the nerve injury, most likely related to the lengthening too fast. Hope that the test results are in your favor.

By the way, which nails did you decide to go with?

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2018, 05:58:12 AM »

Sorry to hear about the nerve injury, most likely related to the lengthening too fast. Hope that the test results are in your favor.

By the way, which nails did you decide to go with?
Thanks android. Yes hopefully i get good news! I went with the russian nails.

Big Decision

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »

Hey Jim_dabarber, I hope you are feeling better now,

Did you break any pin during distraction or did you have any infection?

Breaking pin is one thing I'm worry about,

Do you think the doctor you visited there in US can replace it? Are they familiar with Illizarov?

How did you take time off from work?
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

Hey Jim_dabarber, I hope you are feeling better now,

Did you break any pin during distraction or did you have any infection?

Breaking pin is one thing I'm worry about,

Do you think the doctor you visited there in US can replace it? Are they familiar with Illizarov?

How did you take time off from work?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Im doing much better thanks! Ballerina is the only issue now just slowly getting better.

No i didnt break any pins during distraction. I had mostly bolts and a couple pins so my frames were really stable. Yes i had pin site infection twice but i took antiobiotics and it resolved quickly.

Yes my orthopedic couldve replaced them if needed. They are familiar with ilizarov just the frames they use are different than the one dr kulesh used.

I have FMLA which lets me take 3 months off work a year if im not able to work and then i have LOng Term Disability which kicked in after the 3 months of fmla. So right now im actually on Long Term Disability leave.

myloginacct

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »

By the way, I searched far and wide on this forum and the old one, but I believe you're going to be the first person 165cm and over to do less than 5cm in a segment, much less both of them. I'm really looking forward to see how good your recovery is going to be two years from now.

All the cases I've seen of <5cm were in shorter people who had trouble with lengthening more than that.

Everyone who undergoes LL tries going for the most they can, for obvious reasons, but since there's so few cases of people doing smaller amounts, we can't know for sure if it isn't much better.

AchieveYourGoals

• Visitor
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2018, 03:25:27 AM »

Hi man, important things first: thanks a lot for your diary. A lot of fresh and very useful informations. It's nice to feel in a sort of mini guys family who share these very bad, and often overwhelming feelings. Most people will say to you JUST learn to accept yourself, but only short people know how it feels going over every day comments about your height, as if for us it's a joke, an easy thing, or anything to make constantly jokes about. Now I would want to ask to you: you've spent in st petersburg a bit of time at this point, on a purely yours personal estimation, how much do you think it would cost 1) to do a cross lateral lengthening, in st elizabeth, (all surgeries related costs) and 2) rent a house once you're able to with people cooking and taking care of you for the whole process? And how long would it take at its fastest yet properly done? I plan to do the same things as you did, I'm 21 and started working one month ago, if everything goes well I should be able to afford it in 1-2 years :) 23 would still be a decent age I suppose... wish you all the best my friend, looking forward to hearing from you. Take care!!

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »

I know its been a while since ive updated and im  sorry i just dont really have anything new to say. Im waiting for my bones to fully consolidate. After frame removal bone consolidation slowed down in my tibia. Maybe since i had the rod inserted that must of had something to do with it but its slowly healing again. Balerina is gone. I can walk with my feet flat on the ground again. I feel pain at the front of my shin when walking fast but doctor thinks its because of the screws from the rod where left not flush with the bone so when i flex my foot to take a step they rub on the soft tissue and thats whats causing the pain. I still have nerve pain but its slowly getting better. I take 400mg of gabapentin at night so i can sleep during the day its not really an issue. Next xrays will be taken may 18 so hopefully the bones are fully healed by then so they can remove the bottom screws and hopefully the pain will go away.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »

By the way, I searched far and wide on this forum and the old one, but I believe you're going to be the first person 165cm and over to do less than 5cm in a segment, much less both of them. I'm really looking forward to see how good your recovery is going to be two years from now.

All the cases I've seen of <5cm were in shorter people who had trouble with lengthening more than that.

Everyone who undergoes LL tries going for the most they can, for obvious reasons, but since there's so few cases of people doing smaller amounts, we can't know for sure if it isn't much better.

Im really hoping that my decision to do less in each segment greatly benefits me in the long run. I will definately keep you guys posted through my journey and after also. Hopefully this helps future lengtheners as well.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

Hi man, important things first: thanks a lot for your diary. A lot of fresh and very useful informations. It's nice to feel in a sort of mini guys family who share these very bad, and often overwhelming feelings. Most people will say to you JUST learn to accept yourself, but only short people know how it feels going over every day comments about your height, as if for us it's a joke, an easy thing, or anything to make constantly jokes about. Now I would want to ask to you: you've spent in st petersburg a bit of time at this point, on a purely yours personal estimation, how much do you think it would cost 1) to do a cross lateral lengthening, in st elizabeth, (all surgeries related costs) and 2) rent a house once you're able to with people cooking and taking care of you for the whole process? And how long would it take at its fastest yet properly done? I plan to do the same things as you did, I'm 21 and started working one month ago, if everything goes well I should be able to afford it in 1-2 years :) 23 would still be a decent age I suppose... wish you all the best my friend, looking forward to hearing from you. Take care!!

1. All surgeries around $18000 for all 4 segments if your doing lon and that includes about 5 days hospital stay per surgery.
2. You can rent an 1 bedroom apartment for around $800 usd a month maybe cheaper. Im not sure about caregiver you would have to ask dr kulesh about that but i do know that they can deliver months worth of food for around $600 a month. The whole process would take around 1 year so honestly it can get very expensive if you are trying to stay in st petersburg the whole lengthening and consolidation.

I wanted to do each section back to back but dr kulesh refused to do it. He insisted i take a 4-6 month break in between just so my body could recover and also i went from 145 pounds to 110 pounds in just 2 months so he wanted me to regain most of my weight back for health reasons. I was in the hospital for around 20 days and thats when i lost most of my weight. The food they give you is just not enough calories that your body needs especially when dealing with 2 broken bones.

Android

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:29 AM »

Glad to hear that your complications are either minor or going away.

To combat unwanted weight loss, maybe you can take bulking supplements like this one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up