Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia  (Read 38653 times)

Jim_dabarber

Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »

Alright guys today is the day. I arrived in st petersburg russia nov 28 had comsultation with dr. Kulesh and dr solomon. Both very experienced doctors who answered all my Qs and who i consider genually caring people as theyve been helping me get situated here and helping me with any needs i may need. I am 26 years young. 165cm with a wingspan of 170cm. Ill be doing cross - lengthening in 2 steps. First step will be right upper femur + left lower limb. LON will be with femur and traditional illizorav with lower leg. Once lengthening is complete i will remove femur frame and lock in the nail and wait for bones to consolodate before starting on the next step which will be left femur + right lower limb. I will be lengthening back in my hometown in the united states for personal reasons. Personally i think with the help of supporting family one can get thru such an event like this better instead of being in a foreign country where you cant even order something to eat let alone explain your needs to the nurses. I am waiting to go into surgery now. Hopefully everything goes great! A bit nervous but so glad im finally going thru with this. Ill keep updating as soon as i can.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:41:29 AM by Jim_dabarber »
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

HHHeir

• Visitor
Re: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »

Hey man i wish u all the best. I'll be following your diary and will wait for the update. which clinic you've chosen municipal or medem? tc.

U only live once

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »

Wishing the very best mate! Having a good doctor on your side is key.
What is your height goal?

Take care!
Aim high

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »

Cross lengthening is maybe the worst idea for LL. Especially if it comes with external femurs.

It is no wonder why they do it in Russia and other third world countries as no respectable doctor would do this.
But it is stupid for people to think that they'll have faster rehabilitation with that  . The rehabilitation will be much longer than doing tibias and then wait 6 months to do femurs than doing cross lateral. Also the rehabilitation will never be full.

The last LLer that did cross lateral LL on the old forum was crippled with knee rom less than 20-30 degrees and I have never heard a good case with cross lateral.
I don't know why some people are willing to almost ruin themselves with   like than when even one segment LL with the best doctors in the world (not charlatans from India, Russia etc) is very risky and extreme.

Sweden

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:41:34 PM »

Bodybuilder: bc of money. You’re short, time goes by and you want to be tall today, not tomorrow. You look into your options and find russia is the only one. It is risky, yes, but you won’t die.

Traveling with the frames on is a very bad idea. I would lengthen at the clinic.

Good luck.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Android

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:14 PM »

Looking forward to reading more about your journey, best of luck!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Bleda

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:20:06 AM »

Cross lengthening is maybe the worst idea for LL. Especially if it comes with external femurs.

It is no wonder why they do it in Russia and other third world countries as no respectable doctor would do this.
But it is stupid for people to think that they'll have faster rehabilitation with that crap. The rehabilitation will be much longer than doing tibias and then wait 6 months to do femurs than doing cross lateral. Also the rehabilitation will never be full.

The last LLer that did cross lateral LL on the old forum was crippled with knee rom less than 20-30 degrees and I have never heard a good case with cross lateral.
I don't know why some people are willing to almost ruin themselves with crap like than when even one segment LL with the best doctors in the world (not charlatans from India, Russia etc) is very risky and extreme.

I don't think having two external frames on the femurs at the same time would be particularly manageable so that's with the do the cross thing. Rehab will be tough no doubt, but OverDozer did the same thing for a gain of 15cm total and seems to be fine now. I believe when he first got his frames off he had ROM of only 40 degrees and is now normal, so yeah, sounds like it can be done.

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:54 AM »

I don't think having two external frames on the femurs at the same time would be particularly manageable so that's with the do the cross thing. Rehab will be tough no doubt, but OverDozer did the same thing for a gain of 15cm total and seems to be fine now. I believe when he first got his frames off he had ROM of only 40 degrees and is now normal, so yeah, sounds like it can be done.

Forget about it. Stop spreading nonsense. You will never be normal after neither 16cm nor cross lengthening.

There will be aches every day for the rest of your life.

Bleda

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »

Forget about it. Stop spreading nonsense. You will never be normal after neither 16cm nor cross lengthening.

There will be aches every day for the rest of your life.

You'll never be normal after 1cm of lengthening, internal or external, no one is saying that. I just stated what was in Dozer's diary. He did 15cm cross lengthening and says he has pretty much normal ROM. Maybe you could try reading it before just dismissing it completely.

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:27 AM »

Bodybuilder: bc of money. You’re short, time goes by and you want to be tall today, not tomorrow. You look into your options and find russia is the only one. It is risky, yes, but you won’t die.

Traveling with the frames on is a very bad idea. I would lengthen at the clinic.

Good luck.
Time does not matter if the result is bad.
Why would someone want to save 6 months-1 year max for having a moderate or bad rehabilitation and limp around while he could do tibias, wait 1 year and then do femurs and be much better?

After all, adding 6-7 cm is not little so I think that noone would be too busy to do 2 LLs and end up crippling himself.

Anyway, crosslateral LL is a very bad idea and no respectable doctor does it. Some people should think more careful before doing such crazy things and risking everything for some months less.

Sweden

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:24:22 AM »

By time I meant in your life. I agree you should go safe, but if it takes forever to save up more money you will pass by life as short - until you go through with it.

If he can’t afford safer methods at 26 and have to wait 5 more years, he will experience 5 more short years.
For some that’s unbearable.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:12:27 AM »

Body builder all your negative comments and your basing them on what? Have you have cross lengthening before ? No! So how would you know. Instead of bashing people and trying to make false accusations why dont you get on this forum and try to motive. Ever thought of that.? You sound like a little piece of s**t bully from middle school. Its actually not as bad as you think. Yea the first day i woke up with really bad pain on my femur almost unbearablea and my tibia was just fine maybe a pain of 2/10. So yea i agree with you in some way ll on femur external is very painful but today i actually woke up much better. Pain infemur is around 4/10. And according to my doctor will get better as time prgresses and i have faith in him as dr kulesh is a great surgeon from the little time ive met him and hes been following up with me the whole time. Why did i decide on cross lengthening well for safety reasons. Im not looking to gain an unrealistic height. In my country 5’8” is normal which is my target height. 4cm on tibia and 4 cm on femur. Obviously if i wouldve had the money to do internals i wouldve but im not a rich spoiled brat who his parents give him money for whatever they want. Ive had to work hard for my money. I have a wife and a 2 year old girl and life has not been easy trying to get her thru med school and paying for all the bills while at the same time saving up for this surgery. I decided that enough was enough. I didnt want to go anymore years being short. I will not be crippled as you so much sugest bodybuilder. Im a very athelitic person and im aware that alot of that will go away but immconfident that over time ill be able to return to a somewhat normal life.
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

Body Builder

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »

So you have a family (wife and children) and doing 2 LLs at the same time was so important for you?
For what reason?

My negative comments are because people like you don't respect their bodies and do extreme things like cross lateral LL which for sure will impact a lot your body, much more comparing to doing 2 LLs the one after one year from the other.
And pain has nothing to to with that. The ability to walk is what matters and you'll be unable to walk normally for more than a year which is too much.

Anyway, still I wish you'll have a good rehabilitation as I wish for all fellow LL'ers but I want people to think more wisely before doing such an extreme operation.
And cross lateral is really a stupid idea.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

I had surgery at the medem clinic for those wondering. All inclusive price was 266660. That included everything surgery medications trip to airport, 7 days hospital stay with food. Rebandges while im here and a physotherapist while im here. There are doctors in the USA who actually still perform illizorav on femurs and tibias but since its considered a selective surgery its not covered with my insurance which in terms ends up costing me about 8 times the amount that i paid here. So obviously body builder your comments are just nonsense because i have done plenty of research on this! I will be returning to the states to procede lengthening with my local orthopedic there who will be covered by my insurance as it will no longer be considered a selective surgery but rather preventative. Im praying for the best as this was not an easy journey to start. I was really scared but im sure i will get thru it fine.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »

Im short! Plain and simple. Ive always been the shortest of my friends family everybody and that will never go away unless i do something about it. Im very happy with my family but its just going to social events and her being taller than me with heels really bothers be and it always will. Trying to always find pants or shorts that fit me all these little things will forevor bother. And btw im not doing both surgeries right after the other. I will most likely wait till next year to do the second step as this will give my body time to recover from tje the stress im putting it thru. And its been proven that doing 2 small segments instead of 1 long segment will cause less stress on that limb. 4cm per segment is a very reasonable amount in my opinion. Think what you want to think bodybuilder at the end of the day you can sit there and read my diary till i get all through with this then well see who was right.

Body Builder

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »

Im short! Plain and simple. Ive always been the shortest of my friends family everybody and that will never go away unless i do something about it. Im very happy with my family but its just going to social events and her being taller than me with heels really bothers be and it always will. Trying to always find pants or shorts that fit me all these little things will forevor bother. And btw im not doing both surgeries right after the other. I will most likely wait till next year to do the second step as this will give my body time to recover from tje the stress im putting it thru. And its been proven that doing 2 small segments instead of 1 long segment will cause less stress on that limb. 4cm per segment is a very reasonable amount in my opinion. Think what you want to think bodybuilder at the end of the day you can sit there and read my diary till i get all through with this then well see who was right.
I am a veteran LLer.
And I plan for another LL in femurs in 2 years from now. I was where you are now and I know that cross lateral LL is simply the worst idea for LL and no respectable doctor does it.
The same with external femurs.
So you said you did research but you made the 2 biggest mistakes you could do.
So I hope I prove wrong, I really do, but odds are not with you and anyone who did LL can understand how bad is cross LL.

Anyway, people should avoid that kind of surgery but you can't turn back time so I wish you the best consolidation possible.

Overdozer

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »

Good luck. I lengthened crosslaterally myself with Dr. Kulesh and I know at least two other who did it or are in the process. You're in safe hands.

If you have any questions regarding the process, feel free to ask me. I know right now you're probably only thinking about the pain, but it goes away rapidly after the surgery, just wait.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »

Good luck. I lengthened crosslaterally myself with Dr. Kulesh and I know at least two other who did it or are in the process. You're in safe hands.

If you have any questions regarding the process, feel free to ask me. I know right now you're probably only thinking about the pain, but it goes away rapidly after the surgery, just wait.
Thanks overdozer! Pain around my knee/lower femur is whats bothering me right now. Tibia is literally no pain at all. Dr kulesh is coming in tomorrow to see me hopefully he can fix the problem as everything but that is going good.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

Thanks overdozer! Pain around my knee/lower femur is whats bothering me right now. Tibia is literally no pain at all. Dr kulesh is coming in tomorrow to see me hopefully he can fix the problem as everything but that is going good.

The Dreamer

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »

●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

Android

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »

Thanks for sharing the photos, how are you doing now? What's next?
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 03:17:48 AM »

Thanks for sharing ur experience. Are u russian? Do you have any language barrier in the Medem Clinic? I plan on doing my tibias w/ Kulesh/Solomon in the future.
Good luck, hope u reach ur goals and stay strong thru everything.

onemorefoot

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »

Thanks for sharing ur experience. Are u russian? Do you have any language barrier in the Medem Clinic? I plan on doing my tibias w/ Kulesh/Solomon in the future.
Sorry for my answer And surely OP can answer better, but MEDEM clínic is for intetnational patients, no language barriers, dont know if they still operate un Sta Elizabeth Hospital.
Budget will determine my future.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »

Thanks for sharing the photos, how are you doing now? What's next?

Im doing better. Still bedrest. Just had my xray taken today and Dr kulesh said everything came out fine. Im still concerned about the pain in my left knee where the rod was inserted as my knee feels very weak and unstable. Does anybody have any knowledge as to why? I asked Dr kulesh but he asssured me it would be ok. Sleeping at night is practically imopssible as its very unfomfortable i just find myself taking naps here and there throughout the day. I had my frame cover measurements taken today and i will be starting pt tomorrow.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

No i am american. Language barrier here is horrible. The only ones who speak english are my proffessors and the anesteologist. All the nurses and stuff dont have a clue as to what im saying so i find myself using a translotor app on my phone alot. Thanks man! Outside frames on femurs are deffinately no joke. If your really on a budget i would still not recomend it. Im hoping after this surgery and once i go back to America that ill be able to do internals with a doctor near my hometown who is covered by my insurance. Itll no longer be a selective surgery but a preventative so i have my fingers crossed.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »

https://imgur.com/gallery/YypeM
First xrays after surgery

FDR101

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »

Good luck Jim, cross lengthening is extreme in my opinion, but you took a good decision in choosing moderate amount of 4 cm over both segments.

From what I understand you plan on lengthening at home. Have you organized PT's and a plan for recovery training? Remember although it is going to be a very hard journey, it is vital that you keep up the training of your legs.

Best of luck, keep up us updated. 4 cm lengthening should take less than 2 months if you go for 0.81mm a day, so just stay strong!

Body Builder

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »

https://imgur.com/gallery/YypeM
First xrays after surgery
This is the weirdest bone break I ever saw.
It is not a straight cut but a Z one? Isn't the bone very prone to premature consolidation with a cut like that?

I am not sure if it will cause anything bad but for sure this cut is not usual. I never saw any respectable doctor doing that kind of cut.

Also, on your femurs you have a modified Ilizarov? Why not a monorail? Anything external on femurs is a bad idea but Ilizarov is way too barbaric and also causes extreme problems on knee rom.
Anyway, in your surgery everything is too extreme to cope with.
But please ask your doctor why he did that kind of cut and why he didn't prefer a straight cut as most doctors do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up