Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia  (Read 38755 times)

Muller25

Re: Cross lengthening in st petersburg russia
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2018, 12:31:15 AM »

Do you know what the price is? And how are you guys getting your visas

Tiger9898

« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:39 AM »

You should contact with Dr Kulesh in order to get detailed information about price.  (kulesh_pavel@mail.ru)
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Muller25

« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »

I contacted Solomin who told me to contact Kulesh who told me this exactly

"I don't think, if it's possible
unfortunately, at present time clinics don't provide visa support

best regards, dr kulesh"

after I asked

"So i need an invitation from the doctor to apply for the visa? Thanks"

Tiger9898

« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »

I contacted Solomin who told me to contact Kulesh who told me this exactly

"I don't think, if it's possible
unfortunately, at present time clinics don't provide visa support

best regards, dr kulesh"

after I asked

"So i need an invitation from the doctor to apply for the visa? Thanks"
As far as I know,  only private clinic offers visa support.  You can also checek pope's diary,  he has written about how he was able to get visa support
Age-19

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »

Hi, thank you for all the information. Im convinced for Russia now mainly because of budget and experienced doctor.

I just have one concern. How bad are the scars? I will go for cross lengthening?

Are the scars really bad after frame removal? Do the doctor mention that they know a plastic surgeon and can be revised ?

Are scars worse on tibia or femur ?

Can you possibly share  a picture?

Greatly appreciate it.

I have way more scars on tibia because of the IM nail screws. If you are worried about scars i would do pure external on tibias but ofcourse for me they arent that bad. They have been fading away with time. Immediately after frame removal i hated them but now they arent as noticeable to me. The scars on femur are worse as they are indented but are easily covered by my clothes and even boxers. Im sure you can get the scars removed but that would be really expensive. Probably more expensive than the LL surgery itself lol. I never asked Dr kulesh as scars wasnt what i was worried about.
I took some photos so you could see for yourself.
https://imgur.com/gallery/vmyKDrD
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

Tiger9898

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »

I have way more scars on tibia because of the IM nail screws. If you are worried about scars i would do pure external on tibias but ofcourse for me they arent that bad. They have been fading away with time. Immediately after frame removal i hated them but now they arent as noticeable to me. The scars on femur are worse as they are indented but are easily covered by my clothes and even boxers. Im sure you can get the scars removed but that would be really expensive. Probably more expensive than the LL surgery itself lol. I never asked Dr kulesh as scars wasnt what i was worried about.
I took some photos so you could see for yourself.
https://imgur.com/gallery/vmyKDrD
Scars on the tibia don't look noticeable to me. But on the femur, they look bigger I heard that Dr kulesh offers scar removal surgery
Age-19

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2018, 03:02:44 PM »

I have been following your comments because I will go to St. Petersburg in September.  Any tips or comments about the AirBNB process?  Not real comfortable about ponying up a month's (or 3 months) rent in advance.
Im not really sure about how its going to go with the Airbnb that Pope and I got together. He dealt with that part you can ask him. Im arriving on the 28th and meeting up with the owner and everything seems legit. Ive never had a problem with Airbnb in the states but in Russia ive never tried it. Hopefully it goes smoothly as well.
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »

Scars on the tibia don't look noticeable to me. But on the femur, they look bigger. Have you talked about scar removal surgery with Dr Kulesh? Can they be treated with that surery? I heard that he also offers scar removal surgery
They arent as noticeable but i do have way more and are hard to hide with shorts. I havent talked to Dr kulesh about them but i will before the next surgery. I just havent been worried about the scars as most of them will be re-opened when i get the IM nails removed in a year. Ill be sure to bring it up when i see him again to have an idea on the cost and if he offers that procedure and i will be sure to post it on here.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

The price for visa was around $500 for a 3 year visa. Pope and i used the same online visa support. They offer invitation letter and will even fill out the whole process for you for additional cost. Its really easy. http://www.russia-travel.com/visa-services/russian-visa/

Tiger9898

« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »

They arent as noticeable but i do have way more and are hard to hide with shorts. I havent talked to Dr kulesh about them but i will before the next surgery. I just havent been worried about the scars as most of them will be re-opened when i get the IM nails removed in a year. Ill be sure to bring it up when i see him again to have an idea on the cost and if he offers that procedure and i will be sure to post it on here.
Okay, I don't think that scar revision surgery is more expensive than LL and especially in russia with dr kulesh, it shouldn't be so expensive. I will also ask him when I visit russia
Age-19

Jim_dabarber

Re: 2nd step Cross Lengthening in St Petersburg Russia
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »

2nd Step of Cross Lengthening

Arrival

I booked my flight and arrived to Russia on June 28. As soon as i landed i went straight to Beeline. Forget about getting around Russia without internet. Email is all the doctors use and then WhatsApp and of course the mighty Uber! I got in contact with the AirBnb landlord that Pope and i had booked and headed to the place. The flight had really drained me out so i decided to take a nap. Worst idea. Slept through the whole rest of the day. Realized i wasn’t going to have time to go exchange my money and go to the consultation so i sent Dr Kulesh an email apologizing and thankfully he said i could go the next day. I then went to a hotel that Pope recommended (refer to his diary for info) to do my registration as AirBnb doesn’t do that for you and i would need that for the bank in order to exchange the money. They told me i wouldnt be able to pick it up until 1pm the next day. I went home rested till the next morning. 

I woke up the next day really early as i had to exchange the money. I called to see if i could pick up the registration early and nobody would pick up. I took my chances and arrived around 12pm and thankfully it was. It took me about 2-3 hours to finally find a place that would exchange the $6000 that i had into rubles. Every bank i tried would have a limit of $300-$500. Eventually a bank teller was nice enough to tell me id have better luck looking for an exchange center instead of a bank and of course they were right. Btw they didnt even ask for my registration. I was in and out in 10 minutes and i even got a better exchange rate than the banks so if you guys are trying to exchange money i would recommend an exchange center instead of a bank. I headed to Mcdonalds and then i was off to the consultation. The visiting hours at St Elizabeth during the summer are something like 5pm-7pm really stupid so trying to get in was nearly impossible. The security knew no english and didn’t even want to communicate through the translating app. I couldn’t get a hold of Dr Kulesh so i asked Pope if he could tell him i was in the lobby trying to get in. Took a while but finally i see Dr Kulesh walking towards me and man was i glad to see him. We tried going in and of course security guard would still not let me in even with him. Dr Kulesh had to sneak me in through another building and we walked for about 10 minutes going up and down stairs. Something that just 4 months post op was actually doable for me thank god! Even Dr Kulesh was impressed. He kept looking back to see if i was still behind him. We finally get to the consult room and literally in 5 minutes we were done. Explained what was going to be done. 5cm LATN on femur and 4cm LATN on tibia. Pope had a different setup than me on the femur and i asked to keep my old setup as it worked perfectly for me hence my quick recovery. Consultation was done and i headed to the famous Popes room. I brought him Mcdonalds and greeted him. One crazy dude! Bilateral external femurs. Man i cant imagine how hard that must be. Talked for about 30 minutes and i headed back to my apartment as i was to be at Medem by 7am for surgery.

Surgery Day

June 30th. Arrived at Medem clinic at 7am and waited in the lobby till my appointment at 7:30am. I was taken to my room and asked to undress and put on a gown. Tests were done and i was ready for surgery. Even though i had already done this once i was honestly still nervous. Having to go through this once is hard enough but to put yourself through it twice is just madness. I was given general anesthesia and i was out.

Nightmare

Woke up to extreme pain! Asked for painkiller and it quickly went down but had to vomit a couple times. Moved me into my own room. 3 days later i realized why i was in so much pain. My femur setup was nothing like last time. In fact i had 2 clamps gripping onto my broken femur.
X-RAYs
https://imgur.com/gallery/QerBMFy
I was devastated and immediately asked for explanations. Dr Kulesh explained that the method was changed as the clamps make nail insertion for LATN much easier as theres nothing penetrating through the bone so the nail can just slide in. Makes sense but man were these clamps hurting. I wasn’t able to stand up until the 5th day as opposed to the 3rd day of my 1st step but i was confident i could get through this.

July 5th -13th

These days weren’t easy for me at all. The pain had started to come down on the 6th but then i started lengthening on the 7th and pain shot right back up. I was doing 1.25mm on tibia and 1.50mm on the femur. I had 2 re-bandages  in between these days. First 1 by Dr Kulesh and the next by the doctor here at the hospital. Not a good experience. First he rushed through my re-bandages and then after he back up into my femur leg that btw can only bend about 35 degrees so its always pretty much straight. Cursed at him real good and got him to calm down and be more careful. It worked! He apologized and took me back to my room.

July 14th - 29th

Days were just the same. Dr Kulesh would be out of town until July 30th so i was basically left under the care of the hospital staff. I would lengthen stretch eat and i would save the sleeping for the night. I was actually getting a good 6 hours of sleep every night thanks to my lucky Zzzquil that i brought from home. Highly recommend it! I would wake up about 2-3 times at night in pain but stretching would help and if it didn’t i would ask for painkiller and i would fall back asleep. Second X-rays we’re taken on July 17.
X-RAYs
https://imgur.com/gallery/3gwPBxc

I was starting to get nerve pain on the tibia after i started lengthening the tibia 1.50mm. Luckily i had some Gabapentin that i brought from home and it helped. I started running out so i asked to see the neurologist so i could get more medicine. Took about 2 days and he came in and prescribed me Lyrica. 150mg twice a day once at night and one in the morning. The pain on my femur was getting really bad. Id say about 5-10 constant pain and 8-10 pain at night. I got about 3 hours of sleep two nights in a row and finally i asked to see the doctor here. It took about 4 different doctors all telling me that everything was normal but if it was normal why am i in so much pain? Compared to the first step i had previously done i felt like i was being tortured 24/7. Finally another came in and i explained to him my pain and that the painkillers were not working anymore. The next day before re-bandaging he came in with a Fentanyl patch. A few hours later the pain was gone. Amazing! I felt so relieved. The next 3 days were so easy. Slept for hours and i did get nauseous a few times but asked for medicine and felt better right away. Sadly after the third day they took the patch off and i was back on regular pain relievers.  Although the pain was much less now for some reason. Staying in Russia i felt like i would be better off staying close to my doctor as opposed to last time that i went home. This time i felt abandoned. Dr Kulesh was gone and i was left alone with doctors who hadn’t even operated on me. Ended up regretting not flying back home.

July 30th - Aug 9th

Dr Kulesh was finally back and i felt so much better knowing someone who actually operated on me would be able to tell me that everything is going good. He confirmed it July 31st when he came and looked at me and took the 3rd set of x-rays.
X-RAYs
https://imgur.com/gallery/QFqQVQk

At this point im at 35mm on the tibia and 35mm on the femur. Almost there. I had the hexapods put on Aug 5th and started corrections in hopes of getting these frames off Aug 10th. Unfortunately because my initial payment was late the surgery had to be moved to Aug 17th. Mu wife tried sending Dr Kulesh the money through Western Union and it got rejected. She tried a wire transfer and it got rejected also because the VO code was not right. Dr Kulesh gave me another VO code and my wife tried again but the wire transfer would take 3 days to get through and if it got rejected i would miss my cut off date so i asked my wife to leave the wire transfer but send the initial payment straight to me through western union. Theres no way that could go wrong right? Wrong! Aug 6th gets here and I’m supposed to be getting transferred to St Elizabeth so i pack all my stuff and ask Dr Nikita if we can stop by Western Union to pick up the money. So here i go in a wheel-bed and two guys pushing me into Western Union. Funniest situation ever! So I’m there for about 2 hours trying to get my money and finally the lady tells me that my money has been sent back and I’ve been blocked from receiving money. She didn’t know why and told me to call Western Union and they might be able to tell me. I call them and they say they have no idea either to go to the store and they might be able to help me so i gave up. I just had to sit there and hope that the wire transfer would go through. I was taken back to Medem and finally on Aug 8 in the morning it went through but it was late. Now i just have to wait till next week for surgery. I took long films with correction hexapods.
X-RAYs
https://imgur.com/gallery/cmUx5rw

So far so good. I am lengthening 1mm per day at the moment as i have to over lengthen for loss of mm during nailing and i still had a couple mms left to be completely straight. As of now i don’t have pain during day and i have only been asking for painkiller at night to sleep and taking the Lyrica as well.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:17:00 AM by Jim_dabarber »

Arch

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »

Great update Jim!

Thank you for updating it, those clamps look insanely painfull, arent those giving lots of scars?

Goodluck!
Arch

doomsday

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »

Great update man!

Those claps wtf? I have never seen those before. I really feel that Dr Kulesh wasnt too confident about inserting half pins so later the nailing could be difficult. Maybe that why its better to go with Solomin.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:27 PM »

Great update Jim!

Thank you for updating it, those clamps look insanely painfull, arent those giving lots of scars?

Goodluck!
Arch

Extremely painful! I hate them. When i try and work on my ROM i can feel my quad rubbing on the front clamp 🤢
Hopefully Dr Kulesh does a good job of stitching me up after because right now the openings look terrible.

Clamp Gashes
https://imgur.com/gallery/dmTwRSA

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »

Great update man!

Those claps wtf? I have never seen those before. I really feel that Dr Kulesh wasnt too confident about inserting half pins so later the nailing could be difficult. Maybe that why its better to go with Solomin.

First time I've seen them also. Not too happy about them. Actually Dr Solomin was the one who insisted on these. Something new hes trying out i guess and i happen to be the first with 2. Android was lucky to only get 1.

Arch

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2018, 04:06:49 PM »

Damn man, you will definitly have some scarring.
Its better to get out of the frame asap.

Goodluck Jim and let us know how the nailing went!

Android

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »

Awesome update Jim! It was fun to read it in this distilled, non-panicked form. What a rollercoaster of a journey it has been for us.

Let me add that the presence of the clamp has nothing to do with confidence. You also don't get to choose which doctor performs your surgery, they work together as a team. Dr. Solomin has the final say on frame configuration, and for some reason he put in clamps for us (well, like Jim said, they said it's for easier rod insertion at the nailing phase). Here's mine in my femur in plain view, probably overlooked by most.

Jim and I did some research when we got our x-rays, because we were confused about our limited ROM, especially since he had nearly 90 degrees of knee ROM on his femur frame leg during the first stage. I looked through Dr. Solomin's book and found the clamp, called the Extracortical Bone Clamp (ECD), in the parts list on page 14. The ECD isn't necessarily new, here's a paper by Dr. Solomin, and here's a document detailing the ECD on the Ortho-SUV site.

Regarding the limited knee ROM on the femur frame knee, after a while we both agreed that maybe it's because the frame is set a bit too low on the leg. There's a wire that is basically right above the knee joint, and this may be the culprit. As you can see in the later pages in the last link, this patient's flexion is just fine; but the frame is much higher up on the thigh compared to Jim and me. Our frames go right over our knee caps.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

doomsday

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2018, 01:08:13 AM »

Jesus those externals look brutal. I guess there is reason why doctors dont use them in western countries. Then again the price is very low.
Any idea how is doing they guy lengthening two femurs?

Android

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:20 AM »

Jesus those externals look brutal. I guess there is reason why doctors dont use them in western countries. Then again the price is very low.
Any idea how is doing they guy lengthening two femurs?

Jim's thread but I'll add my two cents: I actually don't mind externals. They're cumbersome sometimes, but as long as the pain is managed with injections and pills, I'm good. However! The current configuration that severely limits my knee ROM is not good.

Pope is doing well. He completed his lengthening, got nailing (LATN), and has gone back home. Hopefully he'll update his thread soon, but life sometimes gets in the way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:39:26 AM by Android »
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Buddy Holly

• Visitor
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2018, 03:48:57 AM »

But isn't externals much safer than internals? Since it's been around since the 50s and it has been improved and practiced on a lot of patients since? Internals has been around for a little more than a decade, but some LL surgeons have barely gotten their hands on internals and some had just started using them.
Natural Current height: 182.6cm, just about 6'0". 6'5" wingspan

Not interested in Limb Lengthening. Just here to help people out when taking this surgery...

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »

But isn't externals much safer than internals? Since it's been around since the 50s and it has been improved and practiced on a lot of patients since? Internals has been around for a little more than a decade, but some LL surgeons have barely gotten their hands on internals and some had just started using them.

Yes. Pure externals are proven to be safer as no reaming of the bone canal is being done and you dont mess with the patella in trying to insert the rods. Although my surgeons consider it rather safe and say no long term effects are made by inserting rods through the knee area. So far i havent experienced any chronic knee pain on my first segment. Pure externals on the femur though is something really tough and only a few have been able to accomplish it. Pure externals on tibia is more tolerable.

shortykon

• Visitor
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2018, 01:18:06 AM »

Hi Jim. Thanks for sharing your diary!

I am a new LL-er here as you can see. I share around the same height @164 with you and also similar to Android's. After reading your and Android's LL diary with Dr. Solomin and Dr. Kulesh, it really pushes me to get the procedure done myself following you guys' step.

MayI ask why didn't you go for more than 10cm+ in total ? Is it because of body proportion ? Or something that the two doctor did not advise you to do? This is actually something I am a little bit worried about since I do intend to get at least 10 cm+ in total like you and Android are currently undergoing, but I feel like I have a very small torso and short arms (never measure, and perhaps I feel that way because of height?)

I am at my early twenty and I can definitely quit my job next year to get the procedure done for whatever recovery time necessary. How long does the recovery process really take? I am a little bit confused (well, I am really new to the LL scene, and so many terminology is foreign to me...) as to how many surgeries you are actually undergoing, and also what stages of recovery you are undergoing in each surgery. And when do you expect to walk with the new height ? Really appreciated it if you can answer as much and as detailed as possible.

Thank you and wish you the best !!!!!  :)

qirenzhe123

« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »

How much does it cost to use a Solomin doctor to do a traditional llizarov extension of the 6.5cm tibia in Russia? the full cost

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:43 PM »

Glad your doing good Jim, Best of luck. Would you happen to know by any chance if a private clinic is mandatory? I would rather spend thousands less to get it done like the rest of Russian patients.

raku

« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »

dear jim
Thanks for your shareing 2step of cross lengthening with 9cm gain with good proportion with good price. Could I ask you a question that what do you think about the drop feet due to the surgery? Do you think it could be avoid by lowering the lengthening speed?
Hope your recovery good. Thanks.
Kind regards
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.

Sara123

« Reply #180 on: November 30, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »

Alright guys today is the day. I arrived in st petersburg russia nov 28 had comsultation with dr. Kulesh and dr solomon. Both very experienced doctors who answered all my Qs and who i consider genually caring people as theyve been helping me get situated here and helping me with any needs i may need. I am 26 years young. 165cm with a wingspan of 170cm. Ill be doing cross - lengthening in 2 steps. First step will be right upper femur + left lower limb. LON will be with femur and traditional illizorav with lower leg. Once lengthening is complete i will remove femur frame and lock in the nail and wait for bones to consolodate before starting on the next step which will be left femur + right lower limb. I will be lengthening back in my hometown in the united states for personal reasons. Personally i think with the help of supporting family one can get thru such an event like this better instead of being in a foreign country where you cant even order something to eat let alone explain your needs to the nurses. I am waiting to go into surgery now. Hopefully everything goes great! A bit nervous but so glad im finally going thru with this. Ill keep updating as soon as i can.

I really don’t understand this. How can someone with these bulky frames on one femur and one tibia, fly back on a long haul flight to lengthen at home?? I’m genuinely confused. How is this possible or safe?? What if something goes wrong?? I’m sorry I’m finding a lot of this information very confusing. Can’t wait now to have consultations to ask full questions.

ok

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2019, 02:22:39 AM »

Could you update the diary if you're around Jim?

myloginacc

« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

How are you feeling after all this time, Jim?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

sylar94

« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »

can you please upload a video with your walking/running/jumping?

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »

Alright, i dont own a labtop or computer as i have no use for one and i couldnt blurr my dang face out so here it is. Unedited video of a little jog and a few jumps. I recorded this video after jogging for 2 miles straight so im already wore out and tired and 3-4 screws were bothering me by this time. Criticize all you want guys:)
 https://imgur.com/gallery/FYCYHY0

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2019, 02:05:01 AM »

Im also posting a 2 week post nailing picture and a 1 year post nailing picture. I have been hitting legs 2 times a week for the last 2 months. Before that i was really slacking, just focusing on regaining full rom on both ankles and knees.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HyeZIFf
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up