Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the safest amount of lengthening to be able to run/play sports again  (Read 6687 times)

Moon knight

as the question above says what is everyones thoughts on this like would 5cm + 5 cm be ok on both femurs and tibula be ok thanks
It’s not a surgery for the faint hearted if you do it your stronger then you really believe

Sweden

I can run and play sports. I did 7cm.

On tibias: no more than 4cm

Femurs: 5cm.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Tiger9898

Hello,When did u have operation?  And which doctor?
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Moon knight

I can run and play sports. I did 7cm.

On tibias: no more than 4cm

Femurs: 5cm.

did you do two surgeries like get 4 on tibias and 5 on femurs or something like that or did you just have on surgery on one segment thanks
It’s not a surgery for the faint hearted if you do it your stronger then you really believe

Android

Tiger9898, Mcooley828: your questions are answered in Sweden's signature.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

IwannaBeTaller

0.2 cm
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Body Builder

Even with 6-7 cm you can still play sports. 2 cm less make no real difference, what matters more is a normal bone alignment, and to avoid extra surgeries like atl.

Of course after LL you can't reach professional levels at ANY sport but still you can play for your fun.

So avoid doing more than 6cm on tibias and 7 on femurs and you'll be ok for your everyday activities.

IwannaBeTaller

Will I still be able to walk up 5 stairs if I lengthen 0.4 cm?

Moon knight

Even with 6-7 cm you can still play sports. 2 cm less make no real difference, what matters more is a normal bone alignment, and to avoid extra surgeries like atl.

Of course after LL you can't reach professional levels at ANY sport but still you can play for your fun.

So avoid doing more than 6cm on tibias and 7 on femurs and you'll be ok for your everyday activities.

so realistically should someone do like 4cm + 4cm or 5cm + 5cm then to make the bone alignment ok for sports

Body Builder

so realistically should someone do like 4cm + 4cm or 5cm + 5cm then to make the bone alignment ok for sports
Bone alignment means straight bones.
I am not talking about bone ratio between tibias and femurs. I am talking about avoiding malunions.
Although I think that doing both segment for instance 3 cm on each will alter less the biomechanics, I believe that it is better to break only one pair of bones to get 6cm than doing both segments.
The more surgeries and cuts the worse the outcome imo even theoritically low amount on both segments alters less the biomechanics.

I can't explain it but I truly believe that the less surgeries the better the outcome. But don't go more than 6.5cm on tibias and 7.5 on femurs because then yes, better do both segments than lengthening one segment that much.

Moon knight

ah no problem thanks

Tiger9898

I know, if we pass 6 cm on tibia, there is higher possibility for ballerina syndrome.  But what do u think does it have permanent complications?
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Sweden

This will always give you permanent complications. You will feel stiff. It will ache as hell some day where the pin cut through your leg. You will never be as agile as you where before the surgery. Explosiveness is almost all gone.

But all that doesn’t matter to a couch potato. Hell, I don’t even think such a person even knew he had all that before the surgery.
If he’s happy being taller, why bother?

But!!! - these are the idiots that claim they recovered back to 100%.

WRONG!! Nobody gets back to 100%. Forget about it. You can manage well and do fine in sports, but your peak is always before the surgery.

The Dreamer

This will always give you permanent complications. You will feel stiff. It will ache as hell some day where the pin cut through your leg. You will never be as agile as you where before the surgery. Explosiveness is almost all gone.

But all that doesn’t matter to a couch potato. Hell, I don’t even think such a person even knew he had all that before the surgery.

WRONG!! Nobody gets back to 100%. Forget about it. You can manage well and do fine in sports, but your peak is always before the surgery.
Hi Sweden,I wanted to ask you if you had ever have muscular cramps during your LL
I mean those muscular contractures,very painful,that can last minutes
And if yes,how did you handle it
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

MrHandsome

Can you still run on treadmill after the surgery to stay in shape.  What's  the  point of gaining height when you can't  stay lean and build muscle?

Sweden

Hi Sweden,I wanted to ask you if you had ever have muscular cramps during your LL
I mean those muscular contractures,very painful,that can last minutes
And if yes,how did you handle it

No I didn’t. I felt the muscles atrophy though and that hurt a little.

Sweden

Can you still run on treadmill after the surgery to stay in shape.  What's  the  point of gaining height when you can't  stay lean and build muscle?

You can be a body builder after LL if you like. Sure you can run on the treadmill. In fact I really miss doing that.

You can do almost anything, just not in a competitive level.

MrHandsome

You can be a body builder after LL if you like. Sure you can run on the treadmill. In fact I really miss doing that.

You can do almost anything, just not in a competitive level.

I am only doing 5cm max. I just want to make sure that I will look like a normal 5'10 guy when I am done with the surgery. I'm not trying  to compete in anything professionally, but I just want to remain in good shape.

IwannaBeTaller

Is that not also the case with getting older, so your peak in most sports will be at 25 years and after that it will never be 100% again? Or with many accidents and traumas, such as motorcycle accidents, car accidents, falls with complicated injuries, that can all reduce your athletic ability and never let it be 100% again?

MrHandsome

There is no point doing the surgery unless you can run

Moon knight

well tbh there have been videos of people running and walking after LL without a problem but the only problem is that they never say what they lengthened

Sweden

I’ve done videos of me running. I’m much better at it now too.

I’ll make a new one.

MrHandsome

I’ve done videos of me running. I’m much better at it now too.

I’ll make a new one.

Can you do all regular activities like rock climbing, skiing and other stuff?

Sweden

Can you do all regular activities like rock climbing, skiing and other stuff?

Yes I can. I’ve tried all of that stuff. I mostly do kickboxing now bc I’m too old for the fast kicks in Taekwondo. I still practice with my former coach now and then but my prime time has passed.

I don’t know if there is anything I can’t do. I still do jumping kicks, just not as nice as before LL. I race motorcycles in the summer, I use my inlines sometimes(making me 190 tall haha) and it’s wobbly but I can reach decent speed.

If I really wanted to I could run a marathon but I’d have to prepare myself a few weeks before.

Sure, I’ll have tons of aches and pain everywhere if I do it and I’d have to rest maybe a full week - but it’s doable.

MrHandsome

Yes I can. I’ve tried all of that stuff. I mostly do kickboxing now bc I’m too old for the fast kicks in Taekwondo. I still practice with my former coach now and then but my prime time has passed.

I don’t know if there is anything I can’t do. I still do jumping kicks, just not as nice as before LL. I race motorcycles in the summer, I use my inlines sometimes(making me 190 tall haha) and it’s wobbly but I can reach decent speed.

If I really wanted to I could run a marathon but I’d have to prepare myself a few weeks before.

Sure, I’ll have tons of aches and pain everywhere if I do it and I’d have to rest maybe a full week - but it’s doable.

You did 7cm right? What if I do 4cm?

Sweden

You did 7cm right? What if I do 4cm?

Then you’ll be 4cm taller.

YungGud

How fast suppose to be recovery after 5 cm external tibias?
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

Sweden

1-2 years.

YungGud

1-2 years.
It'seems like after 1-2 years I can be able to run jump etc  as usual (as we can claim that level as usual)
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

myloginacct

Sweden, at what age do you believe doing tibias becomes too risky, because of the risks of mal union, nonunion, and such?

Sweden

Around 55+ years.

There are 67 year old seniors that has done 4,5cm. They were terrified to have a small coffin at their funeral.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up