Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles  (Read 32642 times)

Android

Re: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2018, 05:14:20 AM »

It's gonna be weird seeing hairless legs on my own body again, it's been decades!

Congrats on the milestone, keep it up.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:45 AM »

UPDATE

2" reached today !!! Feeling extremely tight, but grateful and happy.

Thank you Android.

The leg hair slowly comes back.  I thought the same. It's coming back now.  Lol.

MirinHeight

« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2018, 06:27:07 AM »

nice man keep it up!
will be having a consulation with Dr. Mahboubian in November-December! (most likely will pick TSF external frame LL on tibias if i pick him/have mild valgus deformity that i want corrected too). i also live in cali
will also be having a consultation with Dr. Rozbruch during that time for internal femurs.

Have narrowed my search down to these two! your diary has been helping me a lot! good luck :)
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MirinHeight

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2018, 06:37:49 AM »

Thank you Android.

The leg hair slowly comes back.  I thought the same. It's coming back now.  Lol.

hey LA growin i would love to meet you if i decide on having the surgery with mahboubian!
i will be in LA around november-december for consultation if thats ok with you. if not, i totally understand !

short2tall

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:56 AM »

Congrats on hitting 2" LAGrowin!! You're almost there!!
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

Purushrottam

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »

Congratulations!
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

LAGrowin

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »

nice man keep it up!
will be having a consulation with Dr. Mahboubian in November-December! (most likely will pick TSF external frame LL on tibias if i pick him/have mild valgus deformity that i want corrected too). i also live in cali
will also be having a consultation with Dr. Rozbruch during that time for internal femurs.

Have narrowed my search down to these two! your diary has been helping me a lot! good luck :)

Hi MirinHeight,  thank you, I appreciate it. I too have benefited from past diaries, without which I probably would never have taken the plunge. Hopefully I can push through to my goal.

I would be happy to do so.  We can set it up as it gets closer.  Hopefully by then I'm as to close to normal as possible.

Good for you,  sounds like two good choices within the US.  If you have the option to travel for surgery, it certainly broadens your choices.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:10:28 AM by LAGrowin »

LAGrowin

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2018, 12:08:39 AM »

@ Purushrottam and short2tall .  Thank you! 

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, while my legs are getting tighter,  even a bit of my skin below the back of the knee seems tight.

Serious stretching with the PT this morning renewed and strengthened my desire to hit my goal. After I left his office I felt loose again.

Seems like this last "stretch" to 6.5 or 7 cm will be tough though,  as past LLers have told us. You stretch hard and feel good, but as the day goes by and as you do your daily lengthening, the tightness comes right back.

God willing another 3 weeks.  I also see Dr M on Friday.

MirinHeight

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »

Hi MirinHeight,  thank you, I appreciate it. I too have benefited from past diaries, without which I probably would never have taken the plunge. Hopefully I can push through to my goal.

I would be happy to do so.  We can set it up as it gets closer.  Hopefully by then I'm as to close to normal as possible.

Good for you,  sounds like two good choices within the US.  If you have the option to travel for surgery, it certainly broadens your choices.

sweet man. i will message you once you get closer to the end of this journey!

LAGrowin

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2018, 12:42:45 AM »

sweet man. i will message you once you get closer to the end of this journey!

Sounds good MirinHeight. 

LAGrowin

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2018, 02:26:25 AM »

** 9 WEEK UPDATE **

Hi everyone.  Tomorrow I hit 9 weeks post op.  It seems like it has been an eternity and I can't wait to get back out to the world!   At the same time,  it has all flown by and I can't believe I'm in the final stretch now.  Hopefully between 15-20 days more to go.  IF I continue lengthening 3 times per day.

TIGHTNESS

As I have mentioned in recent posts. My legs have become considerably tighter in the past week roughly. There isn't really any pain per se,  just major discomfort. Dr. Ms PT, Patrick, says I'm doing well and that it's all normal.  My knees are still flat thank God.  They do lock up after a small period of limited or no movement. This allows you to sleep very limited amounts at a time. Very frustrating.

ALSO,  it feels like my skin on the outer and back part of my knees is about to tear from how tight it feels. The PT says its likely the nerves that are stretching which makes it feel like that. He says no one has complained of that in the past.

HEIGHT

I'm currently at 5.4 CM or slightly over 2".  I went out to a brief event yesterday (not easy) for the first time.  I used wheelchair and walker, as it is impossible to be on the walker full time still.  When I stood up and engaged with people, I noticed the difference!  My shoes are almost 1" so I stood about 5'9" with shoes.   What an UNBELIEVABLE difference already.  I can just imagine another 0.75".   I am happy I did this.  Just hope I can fully recover quickly.

MEDS

I have been down to one Norco before bed, one muscle relaxer, and one sleeping pill (Ambiem).  During the day, I typically take 2-4 Tylenol.   As for vitamins I'm taking calcium,  and vitamin D.

GENERAL

I am happy I did this. But still can't believe I did.  It is not easy folks.   You have to be ready to deal with being dependent on others to different degrees, to put your life on hold for 3-4 months +.  I read a lot, but some of the details you read about slip right by until you're going through it. I thought I'd be out and about and working a few hours after about 4 weeks.  Yeah right!!   

Everything is HARDER.  The smallest things. Even grooming yourself like before.   I also thought I'd be reading a lot and catching up on paperwork while at home.  It doesn't happen,  you don't have the energy and your days other than therapy, are not productive.

WEIGHT

I don't know that there is a way to avoid muscle atrophy and general weight loss.  I'm the thinnest I've been in over 20 years. I've lost nearly 18 lbs.   My legs are tiny, and my butt which I was always proud of and worked hard to maintain,  is all bone.    Everyone says it will come back.  I hope so.

DR. MAHBOUBIAN

Dr. M has been good to me and professional, including his selected hospital, and office staff. There is really no interaction between us in between follow up visits, but it's not needed, I also respect his time and never want to be 'that patient'.  The two times I've reached out,  he has responded quickly.  Even early on, on a Sunday.

OTHER

I've established communication with a few of Dr. Ms recent and upcoming CLL patients and everyone seems to feel the same.  His technique is good and pain is not excruciating or excessive. One of the things that attracted me to Dr. M when I was first starting my research for LL, is that he trained with Dr. Rozbruch, who was also a consideration for me.

Unfortunately this forum has its share of toxicity, and although this diary is meant to help future LLers have an idea of what it's like (as I searched for in the diaries of those before me), I've at times been accused of being a fake or of 'promoting' Dr. M, not true at all.

It takes time and energy to write these updates. All I can say is that I'll help others where I can, and everyone can believe or not what they want.   I've been on the other side, wanting and waiting for updates of other's diaries. Past diaries have been an incredible resource for me,  whether they were Mahboubian, Paley, Rozbruch,  etc.   

Thank you all for reading !!

myloginacct

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2018, 04:20:04 AM »

Has Dr. Mahboubian recommended that you eat more during the whole process? We were discussing just that subject a while ago.

Has he recommended you take vitamin d3 and calcium supplements too? If so, during or only after the lengthening?

I wish you the best with the final stretch, man. You're almost there, and then it's taller forever!

Android

« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2018, 05:00:06 AM »

Feels like yesterday that you were counting down the days to begin surgery, and here we are counting down to finish lengthening. Time sure goes by fast!

Great update, love the little details, including productivity level and weight loss. Thanks.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »

@myloginacct  -  thank you.  So far I feel like it's  worth the sacrifice.   

Dr. M just said to eat well. Not so much increased calories, just eat well. It's hard though as appetite decreases.   I've been taking vitamin D and calcium since the beginning of my lengthening.

@Android - thank you so much. Can't wait to be done with this and get back to life.

llnextyear

• Visitor
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 02:40:52 AM »

I really appreciate your post, it's been very helpful. :) I've selected Dr. Mahboubian to be my doctor, so its great to hear good patient stories!I'm also glad to hear everything went well for you, and it seems like you're recovering fast. How do you entertain yourself/structure your days? And, if I may ask as well.. are you paying for the physical therapy or is that covered by insurance?

LAGrowin

« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2018, 04:00:11 AM »

I really appreciate your post, it's been very helpful. :) I've selected Dr. Mahboubian to be my doctor, so its great to hear good patient stories!I'm also glad to hear everything went well for you, and it seems like you're recovering fast. How do you entertain yourself/structure your days? And, if I may ask as well.. are you paying for the physical therapy or is that covered by insurance?

Hello llnextyear.   Thank you.  Glad to hear that you've made the decision to do LL.  It's a life changer in so many ways.  I cannot comment much about life with new height yet,  but I've gotten a small taste and seems incredible.   Just hope that life as normal comes back soon.

I'm glad my diary has helped. It is my goal to be detailed.  Any questions just ask,  or feel free to PM me.  I remember the doubts and questions I had before taking the plunge.  Other's diaries and a couple of past patients helped me tremendously.

Days for me fly by.  I'm used to being on the go constantly. Now between breakfast, stretching at home,  traveling to physical therapy, and fielding a few work calls and texts,  the day is gone.  I thought I'd be reading and watching movies but days fly by. The first few weeks are a little slower as you might not travel to therapy.  As I mentioned before, the days just aren't as productive as I thought they would be.  You'll fall into your routine little by little.

I'm paying for physical therapy myself, but I understand through Dr. Ms office that sometimes the insurance covers it and most medications.

All the best!

Optimistic1

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »

Hi LAGrowin,

Congrats as you're winding down on the last pages of this chapter of your life. Keep it up and I think you can push it to the limit. I'm still trying to reach my first inch in my tib/fib. The femur surgery went well but the pain is much more worst. Currently, I'm experiencing a lot of tightness in my femurs. I have locked knees every time I wake up from sleeping or even a quick nap. It gets better when I stretch or sit in my wheelchair. My stretching is at a standstill. No improvement whatsoever. Did you experience this when you did your femurs? I am hoping the tightness is not from the lengthening in my tib/fib as I'm lengthening only .75 mm a day in my tib/fib now. I haven't been able to speak to Dr. M. My post-op with him is tomorrow and I think he'll let me lengthen my femurs tomorrow. I spoke to my PT who said the tightness in the femurs could be from the swelling from the surgery. I notice that I have absolutely no swelling or bruises from the outside from the femur procedure. Thank you for your help.

LAGrowin

« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2018, 07:18:24 AM »

Hi Optimistic1,

Thank you.  I'm literally counting down the days.  This last part seems to be tough with tremendous tightness.

You'll love that first inch,  that in itself will make a difference.

I know the pains and discomfort of the first 3 weeks, they aren't easy. Tolerable but so frustrating.  I can't even imagine with double surgeries in tibia and femurs like yourself. Hats off. At least it will all be over at the same time, hopefully.

Remember your muscles have been pretty inactive for over 1 week plus the shock of the surgery.

I'm truly sorry to hear what you're going through,  I know first hand the struggle, like Insaid especially the first three weeks. Let alone with another surgery in the tibia.

Yes, I actually did experience the tightness in the femur region,  I know it's hard,  but stretching it slowly will help, along with massaging of the muscles front, back , and outer side of femur muscle if you can.

I would get frustrated trying to fall asleep at night from the discomfort. At first I think it's due to the swelling and and shock of the surgery to the leg. 

When you start reaching 4-5cm then the tightness is from the stretching which is what I'm experiencing now, major tightness and discomfort.  I stretch hard at physical therapy and also at home and it only helps for a little while.  It's part of the show, but hopefully it's over before we know. I can't believe I'm towards the end.  You'll be there soon too.

Reach out with any questions.

LAGrowin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:57:42 AM by LAGrowin »

Shortguy66

• Visitor
  • 3 inches to freedom
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »

Keep pushing man, all that money and pain isn’t worth just two inches! I know you can get to 3, just persevere! Pain is only temporary but your new height will last forever. I’m rooting for you!
Current morning height: 5”4.5.
Goal: 5”7+

myloginacct

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2018, 07:17:25 PM »

@myloginacct  -  thank you.  So far I feel like it's  worth the sacrifice.   

Dr. M just said to eat well. Not so much increased calories, just eat well. It's hard though as appetite decreases.   I've been taking vitamin D and calcium since the beginning of my lengthening.

@Android - thank you so much. Can't wait to be done with this and get back to life.

Thank for you the reply. As people say, the devil is in the details, and this is where it seems LL journeys can vastly differ from one another. I try to keep an eye out and learn about the details that can make a difference.

Keep pushing man, all that money and pain isn’t worth just two inches! I know you can get to 3, just persevere! Pain is only temporary but your new height will last forever. I’m rooting for you!

You are still unnaturally stretching soft tissue. I get your feeling, but let's not be careless.

LAGrowin

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »

Thank you Shortguy66.  I appreciate that. I agree about 2",  but they sure make a heck of a difference.  However my goal is 2.75", and I'll stop at 2.5" if needed.

I felt the same before surgery,  but when your body starts to give you signs,  don't ignore and be safe.   I don't want to end up with permanent aches and issues either. 

We shall see.   The finish is so close, but things are getting really tough!

LAGrowin

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2018, 02:24:14 AM »

@myloginacct -  I agree 100%,  paying attention to those little details make a world of difference.

The soft tissue is the problem.  My legs currently feel rock hard like they won't stretch anymore, even with all of the PT. 

One can easily get confused about whether it's time to stop or push through that barrier and on to better ground, as many others have stated in the past.

MirinHeight

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:05 AM »

@myloginacct -  I agree 100%,  paying attention to those little details make a world of difference.

The soft tissue is the problem.  My legs currently feel rock hard like they won't stretch anymore, even with all of the PT. 

One can easily get confused about whether it's time to stop or push through that barrier and on to better ground, as many others have stated in the past.

hey LAgrowin I am so happy that you are happy with this procedure thus far and how big of a difference it has made in your life. The soft tissue problems will go away with time as you do PT!

LAGrowin

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »

hey LAgrowin I am so happy that you are happy with this procedure thus far and how big of a difference it has made in your life. The soft tissue problems will go away with time as you do PT!

Hi MirinHeight,  thank you.  I appreciate that.   I sure hope so.  Always a little scared about future issues with the stretching of the soft tissue.  God willing all will be ok.

LAGrowin

« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2018, 05:31:00 AM »

UPDATE 3/29/18

I had a post-op last Friday and all seems ok.  Flexibility is still good, although I feel like my muscle can't stretch anymore.  X-rays showed better bone growth on the right leg than the left, so Dr. Mahboubian slowed my left leg lengthening down to 2x per day.

SLEEP

This has been one of the hardest things about this ordeal.  I am not comfortable in any position and get frustrated trying to sleep.   I am sleeping a total of maybe 2 hours per night.

PAIN

Pain has increased in the last few days as I've moved into 6CM territory.  It is a constant dull pain. Everyone I talk to that has done LL and my PT says it will subside as soon as I stop lengthening.  God willing so.   It gets old.

FINAL LENGTH

I've decided to stop at 7CM if I can make it! It should only be another 6-7 days. I'll end up at just a hair below 5'9". I'll be very happy with that.

Thank you all for reading!

Tiger9898

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2018, 05:58:08 AM »

Hey,thanks for keeping us uptaded. Just be patient  everything will be better)Have you measure your real height? Be aware that 7 cm femur lengthening will give you 6 cm real height
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:54:20 AM by Tiger9898 »
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

LAGrowin

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »

Hey,thanks for keeping us uptaded. Just be patient  everything will be better)Have you measure your real height? Be aware that 7 cm femur lengthening will give you 6 cm real height

Thank you Tiger.  I appreciate it.

Actually I don't think that 7 CM of lengthening translates to that much of a loss.  It is a few millimeters only.  I've been measuring real height and it is almost exactly as lengthened.

Good tip though. It may change from person to person.

All the best.

Tiger9898

« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »

Thank you Tiger.  I appreciate it.

Actually I don't think that 7 CM of lengthening translates to that much of a loss.  It is a few millimeters only.  I've been measuring real height and it is almost exactly as lengthened.

Good tip though. It may change from person to person.

All the best.
Are u sure? If it is a few millimeters,  i would be happy as i am going to have femur surgery within 2 month. How about your proportions?  Does your femur look so longer? I would appreciate if you share some pictures of your proportions   :):)
Age-19

LAGrowin

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »

Yes,  it has been discussed before in a couple of previous posts, and now proven (to me) by my lengthening and actual measured height.

I might do that in a few days, or PM you.  I had short femurs and longish arms so my proportions weren't much of a concern to me.  However, currently my tibias are around 16" and femurs almost 19".  I believe this puts me in a 44/54(ish) category of normal proportions (with longer femurs).

I can tell you that for my body type.  I look way better now that before with longer legs.

Mars

• Visitor
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Yes,  it has been discussed before in a couple of previous posts, and now proven (to me) by my lengthening and actual measured height.

I might do that in a few days, or PM you.  I had short femurs and longish arms so my proportions weren't much of a concern to me.  However, currently my tibias are around 16" and femurs almost 19".  I believe this puts me in a 44/54(ish) category of normal proportions (with longer femurs).

I can tell you that for my body type.  I look way better now that before with longer legs.

There's no need to guess about what your actual height gain will be. The angle of your femur is about 10 degrees, and since you want to lengthen 7 cm, use the following formula: 7cm x cos(10) = 6.894 cm. You only lose 1 mm, so it's negligible. If you lengthen less than that, you'll lose even less than 1 mm.

Tiger9898

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2018, 12:53:32 PM »

That should be really advantage, your tibia femur ratio will be nearly perfect after 7 cm I think
Age-19
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up