Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles  (Read 32380 times)

LAGrowin

Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »

It finally happened. I had my surgery yesterday 1/18/18!

I thank GOD for allowing everything to go well and for the energy to pull through it.  My family as well for the support.

Dr. Mahboubian is great. No sugarcoating things, and is friendly and casual.  Professional but casual like one of your buddies would be.

ABOUT ME:

Age -  Mid 40s
Height - 5'6"  - 167.75cm
weight - 165 lbs.
Health - Excellent
Fitness - Fairly Fit
Goal Height - 5'9". - 175cm with Precise 2

I have been making plans for this surgery for nearly 1 year.

DAYS BEFORE SURGERY

Feeling anxious, nervous, and questioning whether I really needed to go through 3-4 months of pain, stress, and mostly immobility.  I am a very busy person so being immobile for 3+ months will be hard.  The answer was always yes. I am extremely bothered by being 5'6" and know that my confidence will be further elevated by the hopefully 3".

Also reflecting on the fact that I'm spending $70k+ on a cosmetic procedure while there are others out there with serious health issues, and or people living in severe poverty.

DAY 1

Arrived at the hospital and checked in at 5:30 AM. Surgery was scheduled for 7:30 AM. Got through the paperwork and standard surgery prep, like shaving my upper legs.  Around 7 AM,  Dr. Mahboubian and the anesthesiologist came in and said we were almost ready. Explained a few things, and within minutes was wheeled towards the operating room.   I was nervous, but this was really happening finally. Still questioning myself.    Super clean and large operating room.  About 10-12 medical people in there.  Anesthesia into the IV, and don't remember a single thing after that, until I woke up in the recovery room around 1 PM or so.  My anesthesia took awhile to wear off.

I am now in my hospital room and everyone has been super attentive and nice.  No complaints.  I have not been hungry and have slept on and off all day.  Pain is tolerable, but my legs feel super tight and heavy,  the pain is about a 5 and not sharp but dull.  I have my pain button but it has made me extremely groggy so I've tried not to use it too much.  Very difficult to move my legs.  I can bend my feet and that helps easy the tension to my upper legs.

The PT came in around 7 PM and decided not to get me up as I was very dizzy and groggy. I would fall asleep while talking to him.

Waiting for Dr. M to come in the morning.

All in all, at least day one,  not as bad as I imagined.  I am being told though that pain will kick in and increase.

I will keep you all updated.

myloginacct

Re: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

I wish you the best of luck throughout the whole process. You'll pull it through.

Also reflecting on the fact that I'm spending $70k+ on a cosmetic procedure while there are others out there with serious health issues, and or people living in severe poverty.

We do what we can do. You can always give back later.

LAGrowin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »

I wish you the best of luck throughout the whole process. You'll pull it through.

We do what we can do. You can always give back later.

Thank you myloginacct,  I appreciate it.   Yes so true, hopefully this experience and physical transformation will make be a better person in many ways.  The plan is to always give back where and when I can.  Gratitude!

Thanks again.

Honore

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »

Dear fellow, I wish you all the luck... I am also in my 40's and hope to do the surgery this year or next... almost same height .. planning to do 4' total on femur and tibia...

Is 3' on one bone not a lot? What did the doc say about this? And what did he say about doing such a big operation at mid 40's..

Again, congrats and I hope al goes wel...

LAGrowin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »

Dear fellow, I wish you all the luck... I am also in my 40's and hope to do the surgery this year or next... almost same height .. planning to do 4' total on femur and tibia...

Is 3' on one bone not a lot? What did the doc say about this? And what did he say about doing such a big operation at mid 40's..

Again, congrats and I hope al goes wel...

Hello Honore,

Good to hear for you.   Thank you for your well wishes.

3" inches on the femur is not a lot,  it is near the top of the limit but with a good doctor, and if we do our part on the physical therapy,  it should be fine,  of course each person will respond different and some can do 3 and some not.  I am hoping for 3 which is 7.6 cm.

During my initial consultation,  that was one of my biggest concerns,  my age.  The doctor said it wasn't a problem at all.  Apparently he has had patients nearing 60. I know there have been a few members here in their 40s also.

Wishing you well.

Zeo

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »

Holy crap, it's so weird because I remember seeing posts from you before and I figured you wrre going with Dr M with your username but I just assumed like a lot of us it was a long way away. Now the surgerys compete and your day 1 of LL.

It's always awesome seeing people start their journey. God Speed brother. Give us all the juicy details
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

LAGrowin

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »

Holy crap, it's so weird because I remember seeing posts from you before and I figured you wrre going with Dr M with your username but I just assumed like a lot of us it was a long way away. Now the surgerys compete and your day 1 of LL.

It's always awesome seeing people start their journey. God Speed brother. Give us all the juicy details

Hi Zeo,

Thank you bro.  Yes,  I joined the forum roughly last June, and decided to take the plunge. At my age, I don't have a ton of time to sit and wait.

Today is the first day after surgery and the pain is starting to kick in more.  Not a scary pain, just a tiring pain, dull, constant.  My legs are super tight.

Dr. Mahboubian just left.  Cool guy.   Said all looks real good, not too swollen. He just took me off of the Dialudid and am now on Norco.  I am waiting for the PT to come and get me up.

Thank you again Zeo .

Honore

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:28:13 PM »

Well, I say thank you sir for your kind words.. I hope you keep the diary going and again my wishes

Android

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »

Hey LAGrowin, it finally happened! Glad to hear that things went smoothly. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, looking forward to future updates about your journey.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

MirinHeight

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »

good luck bro. i am looking forward to this diary!
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

LAGrowin

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »

Honore, Android, MirinHeight,

Thank you.   I'll update later.

Pain has increased about a 5.5 .  It's dull and constant.  Getting in and out of bed has been nearly impossible for me.  Wow!!

I'll keep you posted.

Purushrottam

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »

Congratulations LAGrowin! The day has finally arrived! Good luck to you man! 3 months will pass before you even know it.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

observer

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 05:29:43 AM »

Dear LAGrowin, I can relate to how you feel when you say spending tons of money on cosmetic surgery while there are more unfortunate people out there. Yes, we are more fortunate than poor or unhealthy people or ppl without access to proper education, etc. However, we are also kinda unfortunate being short in a society where the opposite is valued. I used to think physical appearance doesn't stop us pursuing things in life and I worked hard and gave back along the way too until I realized being short has become something holding me back to achieve greater things. I know this may sound pessimistic but I think you and most ppl on this forum get what I am saying.
I salute to what you are going through now and fingers crossed for the best outcome.

LAGrowin

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »

Congratulations LAGrowin! The day has finally arrived! Good luck to you man! 3 months will pass before you even know it.

Puru.  Thank you.   I hope you're doing well and continuing to recover.  Your diary and responses to my questions had been very helpful.   Thank you.

Yes,  the day finall came.  Still can quite believe I did it.  God willing so,  can wait to be at the end of lengthening.

LAGrowin

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

Dear LAGrowin, I can relate to how you feel when you say spending tons of money on cosmetic surgery while there are more unfortunate people out there. Yes, we are more fortunate than poor or unhealthy people or ppl without access to proper education, etc. However, we are also kinda unfortunate being short in a society where the opposite is valued. I used to think physical appearance doesn't stop us pursuing things in life and I worked hard and gave back along the way too until I realized being short has become something holding me back to achieve greater things. I know this may sound pessimistic but I think you and most ppl on this forum get what I am saying.
I salute to what you are going through now and fingers crossed for the best outcome.

Hi Obsever,   thank you for acknowledging this comment. It was difficult for me not to feel some guilt.  So much can be said on this topic.

Thank you for your well wishes.  I am positive and ready to work hard to gain my 3" and recover. So far so good.    Easy?  No,   but no regrets.

LAGrowin

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »

DAY 3

5:03 AM ,  I have been up since 3 AM trying to pee in the plastic container, it just won't come.   

The pain really came in last night to about a 9, constant and throbbing, not sharp. Finally I just accepted that I'll have to take 2 Norcos every 4 hours.  I plan to do this for the first couple of weeks.

I fell asleep at 9:45pm and woke up 2:45am,  so I went 5 hours between meds,  you want to try to avoid that, and stay ahead of the pain.

I've been up twice on my feet and taken a few steps,  wow!!  Not easy.  Just to turn out of bed takes me a good 30 minutes with the PT and my wife. 

My biggest challenge so far?     How to get to the toilet and sit to go "2".    The pain on the underside of your thighs makes it very difficult as you put a lot of pressure on the freshly broken femur bone.

I'll post more later.   Hard to sit in bed and type.

Thank you all.

LAGrowin

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 01:39:31 AM »

PEEING

For any of your reading this later as you go through your journey or in the process of researching,  if you are having trouble peeing into the bottle after the catheter had come out, which you WILL,  have someone turn on the faucet in your room,  I don't know why but it works.  It will bring the urge to go quickly.

Also,  empty your bladder well the morning of the surgery and try not to eat heavy the day/days before, that way your system is not packed and bowels full.  It all helps.

MirinHeight

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 01:41:31 AM »

PEEING

For any of your reading this later as you go through your journey or in the process of researching,  if you are having trouble peeing into the bottle after the catheter had come out, which you WILL,  have someone turn on the faucet in your room,  I don't know why but it works.  It will bring the urge to go quickly.

Also,  empty your bladder well the morning of the surgery and try not to eat heavy the day/days before, that way your system is not packed and bowels full.  It all helps.

hey man, did Dr. M give you the option of getting surgery on one leg at a time? So that you will have one working leg at all times to help move around

LAGrowin

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 01:54:35 AM »

hey man, did Dr. M give you the option of getting surgery on one leg at a time? So that you will have one working leg at all times to help move around

It was never discussed,  nor would it be an option for me.   I cannot be out of commission that long.   Even with one leg,  with what I do,  I'd technically be out of commission even with one good leg.

MirinHeight

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 02:10:19 AM »

It was never discussed,  nor would it be an option for me.   I cannot be out of commission that long.   Even with one leg,  with what I do,  I'd technically be out of commission even with one good leg.

oh ok man.
I was just asking cause this pt did one leg at a time: surgery was recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3OZzm35jk&t=86s

LAGrowin

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 03:10:14 AM »

oh ok man.
I was just asking cause this pt did one leg at a time: surgery was recorded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3OZzm35jk&t=86s

No worries at all. We didn't discuss at all,  but I also made it clear that timing was important to me and that I wanted to recover as quickly as possible.

I guess I'm an ideal world,  one leg at a time would be better.

fallen774

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »

Hey LAGrowin, so nice to see your journal! I'll make sure to follow updates every day. My surgery is in April with Dr. M as well and I'm really excited. Did you start lenghtening yet? Are you planning to go back home, or do you already live close to his office?
before: 5'5.5
now: 5'8.2 (+2.7")
surgery date: April 5th, 2018
stopped lengthening: June 20th, 2018
Dr. Mahboubian, North Hollywood

Zeo

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

Hey LAGrowin, how are you doing? Day 6 already huh, I hope the whole experience hasnt been too daunting. Just know every one of us prospective LL'ers would gladly trade places with you. From what I read in the diaries the beginging is the worst, and usually gets smoother. So keep your chin up bro and focus on the goal. We're all rooting for you.

Any "wtf did I just do" moments? Is the rush of starting your journey still pumping strong? All the best wishes and keep us updated, Keep fighting the Good Fight brotha.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

bigdreams55

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 01:13:43 AM »

Congrats on the surgery. I'm one month ahead of you and I know the first week is really tough, but take it day by day and you'll see starting week 2 that things get better each and every day!

LAGrowin

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 01:29:44 AM »

Hello gentlemen.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I will catch up on the updates soon and respond accordingly.  I have been sleeping a lot.  Days seem slow but they also fly by,  as small tasks become enormous.

No regrets thus far.    Pain, yes,  but it is very bearable.   It's the little things we don't seem to plan on or discuss that get you.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:01:47 AM by LAGrowin »

MirinHeight

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 02:02:13 AM »

Hello gentlemen.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I will catch up on the updates soon and respond accordingly.  I have been sleeping a lot.  Days seem slow but they also fly by,  as small tasks become enormous.

No regrets thus far.    Pain, yes,  but it is very bearable.   It's the little things we don't seem to plan on or discuss that get you.

can you please elaborate on this

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 03:20:51 AM »

Nice job LAGrowin, you are well on your way to a better life :), pain is only temporary.

LAGrowin

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »

DAY 3 - CONTINUED

This 3rd day was a tough one.  It was the day to discharge but I was in a lot of pain and was having difficulty moving due to muscle spams and cramping in my left hip area.  The cramping would cause sharp jolts of pain with the slightest movement.  Dr M called in a muscle relaxer so that I could move and be able to complete my PT.  He wanted me to have a 2nd PT before I left the hospital.  The muscle relaxer knocked me out and when the PT came in I was in a deep sleep.  She forced me up and wanted me off the bed and on to the walker.  For me with the cramping and spasms this seemed an impossible feat.  The slightest movement and I was jolted with pain. After about an hour with three people and a lot of grunting,  I was off the bed and on the walker.  I think the PT first thought I was being a cissy, but then realized the pain I was in.  I was drenched in sweat.

I started realizing that getting up again,  unto a wheelchair and into a car to head home would be nearly impossible.  I called some family members to come and help and arranged for a transport van to get me home .

8:30 PM and I was finally checking out and heading home on a transport van. This was a smart and very worthwhile investment.

Being on the wheelchair was painful as the footrests weren't quite adjustable to the proper height. Putting small cushions under your feet for leverage helps.  The pressure the edge of the wheelchair seat creates under your thighs really hurts. Any little bump in the road caused pain.

I got home and luckily the van driver  had a portable ramp to get me up the three stairs to my front porch. If not that would have been a challenge.

Next challenge was getting off the wheelchair and into the bed again at home, it's not quick or easy.  It was the cramping and spasms in my left leg that was making this so hard.

Other than the sudden jolts of pain in my left lef with any sudden movement, the constant pain was very manageable with the Norco,l at about a 4.

LAGrowin

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 07:19:37 AM »

Hey LAGrowin, how are you doing? Day 6 already huh, I hope the whole experience hasnt been too daunting. Just know every one of us prospective LL'ers would gladly trade places with you. From what I read in the diaries the beginging is the worst, and usually gets smoother. So keep your chin up bro and focus on the goal. We're all rooting for you.

Any "wtf did I just do" moments? Is the rush of starting your journey still pumping strong? All the best wishes and keep us updated, Keep fighting the Good Fight brotha.

Zeo,  thank you very much for the encouragement!  Yes that's what I keep hearing and reading, and it seems to be very true.  You read about all of this, but not until you expirement it first so you really understand.

The "wtf am I about to do"  kept at me until I was being wheeled into the operating room. "do I really need to put myself through this?" ,   the answer was yes,  man up and get it over with. I want my height.   I'm glad I am now on the other side and recovering.

LAGrowin

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 07:27:21 AM »

Congrats on the surgery. I'm one month ahead of you and I know the first week is really tough, but take it day by day and you'll see starting week 2 that things get better each and every day!

bigdreams55,

Congratulations! Happy for you.  Which doctor did your surgery if I may ask?

The first week has really been a battle with the small things.  Pain is manageable but getting to the restroom for me has been a real battle.  The pain of getting off the bed and unto the wheelchair has been tough.  Pain due to cramping in my left hip area. Your first bowel movement is no fun eitherZ. It hurts.

Sitting on bedside commode over the toilet hurts, etc etc ....

Can't wait for things to start getting better.  So you're about 3 cm in by now?

Would love to stay I touch.

LAGrowin

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »

DAY 4-8

I am home now and and relatively comfortable.  The pain I've experienced is mainly due to a spasm and cramping of my left hip area.  That muscle cramps up at the slightest movement and creates a jolting pain.  Otherwise pain is a constant 2.

MEDICATION

- 2 Norcos every 4 hours (a bit much but needed in the first week)
- 1 muscle relaxer every 6 hours - don't really think it's helped much
- 1 Xeralto per day
- 2 dulcolax daily

GENERAL

At least from my experience,  you will need someone to help you.  You cannot be up on the walker getting things.  I've needed two people to help me off the bed and into the wheelchair when getting to the restroom. It is too dangerous trying to do it with only one helper,  but I assume this is case by case .  I feel I have a high pain tolerance but this is different.

The first time trying to use the restroom was painful due to the setup.  The plastic bedside commode put so much pressure on the underside of my thighs that I couldn't do my thing.

I got uncomfortable in bed,  after hours in one spot you start getting very frustrated. Being on the wheelchair is painful after a few minutes.

Cleaning yourself is a challenge. 

This ese are all small things that you'll figure out as you go through your own journey, but try to prepare and don't underestimate things.

Plan for your bed to not be too high or too low.  The height of my bed turned out to be an issue.  Standard bed height is better. An adjustable bed is best if you can arrange it.

STRETCHING

This has been a bit of a challenge for me in the first week.  However I have been moving my legs side to side,  up and down, and bending them as much as possible.

I am planning on starting routine PT four days a week. This will loosen me up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up