Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles  (Read 32375 times)

MirinHeight

Re: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 07:45:12 AM »

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
~Lance Armstrong
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

LAGrowin

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
~Lance Armstrong

Thanks MirinHeight.   Definitely no quitting here.  It's balls out pushing to 7.6 CM!!

LAGrowin

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »

Day 9

Post-op visit with Dr. M.  Had to hire a transport van again, to and from the Dr. Office.

Dr. M said all looks good.  He removed the stitches and introduced me to the Precise (Nuvasive) rep.   Dr.  said he wanted me to lengthen 4 times a day for the first week and then lower to 3 times a day at .33mm per session.  He told me to start taking vitamin D and calcium.   He said I was a little tighter than he'd like but was overall ok.  Said I needed to start PT immediately.

The Precise rep was real cool and explained in detail how to use the machine.

Came home, had my 2nd bowel movement since surgery and felt good. It was however a tiring day. Legs felt weak.

Lengthened two sessions finally in the first day!!

I'm .66mm taller now !!!!

Android

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »

Loving the detail, it's not often that we get a good look at the day to day struggles.

Congrats on the growth to far, onward and upward!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:14 PM »

Loving the detail, it's not often that we get a good look at the day to day struggles.

Congrats on the growth to far, onward and upward!

Thank you Android.  Trying to be as specific as I can. It can only help someone as they're going through they're own LL later on.

Yes! Onward and upward!!

bigdreams55

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 10:21:42 PM »

bigdreams55,

Congratulations! Happy for you.  Which doctor did your surgery if I may ask?

The first week has really been a battle with the small things.  Pain is manageable but getting to the restroom for me has been a real battle.  The pain of getting off the bed and unto the wheelchair has been tough.  Pain due to cramping in my left hip area. Your first bowel movement is no fun eitherZ. It hurts.

Sitting on bedside commode over the toilet hurts, etc etc ....

Can't wait for things to start getting better.  So you're about 3 cm in by now?

Would love to stay I touch.

I had Dr. Rozbruch, I have a journal here as well! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, I'm at 3.8 cm now.

LAGrowin

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 06:58:17 AM »

I had Dr. Rozbruch, I have a journal here as well! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, I'm at 3.8 cm now.

Sounds like you're about halfway there bigdreams55,  congratulations!! 

This whole experience has been almost surreal for me.  I can't believe that I actually did it.

Yes,  I'm sorry, I've been reading your journal, not sure how I didn't put these two together.

Thank you so much. We should stay in touch bigdreams55.

All the best!

Misoru

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »

Hope everything goes well.

LAGrowin

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:43 AM »

Hope everything goes well.

Thank you Misoru.  Hoping for the same.  So far so good other than the expected commonly mentioned issues.

fallen774

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:07 AM »

Hey LAGrowin, glad to see you're doing better and better! Can you elaborate a little bit on how hard is it to shower? I've been wondering about this and couldn't find in any journals  ???
before: 5'5.5
now: 5'8.2 (+2.7")
surgery date: April 5th, 2018
stopped lengthening: June 20th, 2018
Dr. Mahboubian, North Hollywood

The Dreamer

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »

Since I have recently noticed that the number of fans of Mahboubian have suspectly (in my opinion) increased,I would suggest everyone to read those threads before making any decision:
www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=562.0
www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=23.0
Good luck to everyone
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

Zeo

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »

Since I have recently noticed that the number of fans of Mahboubian have suspectly (in my opinion) increased,I would suggest everyone to read those threads before making any decision:
Good luck to everyone

There is a difference between people supporting the LL'ers who are going through the journey, and being a "fan of Mahboubian".
If you want to debate the efficacy of different doctors do it in those threads, let the man lengthen in peace
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

MirinHeight

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

Good luck to everyone

although i do not like Dr. Mahboubian's business tactics, all his pts have made full recoveries

and he was trained under Dr. Rozbruch

LAGrowin

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 01:42:03 AM »

There is a difference between people supporting the LL'ers who are going through the journey, and being a "fan of Mahboubian".
If you want to debate the efficacy of different doctors do it in those threads, let the man lengthen in peace

Thank you Zeo.  Very well said. 

I'm not here to promote or sell anything or anyone. I'm here to try to share my experience as many others have which I have benefited from.

My personal opinion is that if Dr. M promotes his LL practice, he has every right. It's a business after all.  Look at the amount of marketing by LA's top cosmetic surgeons for breasts and butt implants, lip this, nose that. It's crazy.  But it's a business.   While at the office I also saw numerous patients who are being treated for non cosmetic issues and natural deformities. It's not all CLL.    Anyway,  only my opinion.  I will not debate this issue with anyone or engage any further.

All I can say from FIRST HAND experience is that Dr. M thus far has treated me well, with courtesy, and in my opinion very professionally.  Because I wanted to make sure of what I was doing,  I had 3 visits with him before I decided to pull the trigger.  Of course I'm local to him in LA. Never did he try to push me into surgery.  He just answered all questions and said he'd see me when and if I was ready.

Now,  let me lengthen in peace man!!!   Lol

Peace gentlemen.

LAGrowin

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 02:04:59 AM »

Hey LAGrowin, glad to see you're doing better and better! Can you elaborate a little bit on how hard is it to shower? I've been wondering about this and couldn't find in any journals  ???

Hi fallen774.  Thank you sir.  In general I'm doing better, but going through this first hand is no joke, but very doable and tolerable.  Of course our bodies will react with a little bit of variance.

So today is my 12th day post op.  In my opinion, for me personally,  way too dangerous to try to shower yet. My legs are not strong enough but to take several steps here and there. My shower has about a 10" step to go in. It's too easy to lose my balance and fall while inside. I don't want to risk it.  I have been cleaning myself with a no rinse foam hospitals give you, a hand towel and warm water.  Stock up on baby wipes.

I bought a shower chair and will be using that when ready.  Hopefully next week. I hate the feeling of not being able to shower but that's that.

I thought I'd be out and about on a wheel chair at the end of week 2. No way that's realistic. Maybe at the end of week 3. Maybe.

The toilet in itself has been a real pain in the ass (literally).  You absolutely need a bedside commode over the toilet and you'll need pillows under your feet so that your knees lift a little and the pressure is not on the underside of your femurs.

Hopefully this all makes sense.   Ask away if it doesn't.

Android

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »

It's a business after all.  Look at the amount of marketing by LA's top cosmetic surgeons for breasts and butt implants, lip this, nose that. It's crazy.

No kidding. I remember seeing an Equinox lined with parked exotics right across a billboard showing a man and woman in swimsuits that read: Look Better nked! Freeze the Fat! It was the most LA juxtaposition I'd ever seen.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

The Dreamer

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »

My personal opinion is that if Dr. M promotes his LL practice, he has every right. It's a business after all.
Suure,also making deals with Apotheosis in old forum is just "business",right ?
Those actions have to be remembered so I wanted to refresh a little bit...the collective memory
But why getting so defensive comrade,it was only a small jump in the past
As i said before, have a great lengthening period and good luck
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

LAGrowin

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »

Suure,also making deals with Apotheosis in old forum is just "business",right ?
Those actions have to be remembered so I wanted to refresh a little bit...the collective memory
But why getting so defensive comrade,it was only a small jump in the past
As i said before, have a great lengthening period and good luck

I don't know apotheosis, don't need to know. I don't want to be involved in the drama that comes out in these forums.  It's here and now that I care about. My surgery with Dr. M cannot be undone. I'm happy,  he treated me well, and that's that. What am I selling here ?    I'm sharing not selling.

If there's nothing constructive to add to this thread then let's move along.  I have some lengthening to do "comrade".  My energy needs to be in my recovery not BS like this.

And I just said I wouldn't engage ...... lol

Thank you.  God willing.

Purushrottam

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 04:40:41 AM »

I don't know apotheosis, don't need to know. I don't want to be involved in the drama that comes out in these forums.  It's here and now that I care about. My surgery with Dr. M cannot be undone. I'm happy,  he treated me well, and that's that. What am I selling here ?    I'm sharing not selling.

If there's nothing constructive to add to this thread then let's move along.  I have some lengthening to do "comrade".  My energy needs to be in my recovery not BS like this.

And I just said I wouldn't engage ...... lol

Thank you.  God willing.

Good lol. Don't engage.

Have you met other LL patients with Dr. M? I've found that it makes the LL experience much more bearable. When I was there, the first 2-3 weeks I was being very anti social because I was feeling very lethargic from the dull pain and lack of sleep (oh btw, the lack of sleep is going to be really annoying for a few weeks). I just wanted to sit in my room and watch Netflix. After that I was in less pain and was feeling much better and sleeping much better as well. Then I started organizing happy hours with other LL-ers. We are still in touch.

Long story short, I highly recommend you meet other LLers and get their contact info and start "hanging out" once you get your bearings.

Otherwise, I hope everything is going well. You will still be in pain when going to the bathroom for a few days. Trust me it gets better. Same with the shower chair. BTW, it hurts a lot less if you don't have to dangle your legs. If you can lower the chairs it will hurt less.

I'm so glad that you are in your home city for this. That way you can have your friends and family visit too (assuming that you aren't keeping this secret from them like I am).
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Zeo

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »

I thought I'd be out and about on a wheel chair at the end of week 2. No way that's realistic. Maybe at the end of week 3. Maybe.

Speaking of which, happy week 2 officially LAGrowin! I hope the process has been kind to you. I'm glad to hear you mentioned that although it's rough its still "tolerable".

I know it's sounds like a weird question but what exactly is keeping you from moving/transferring how you would like? Is it the pain/soreness or do you just feel like extreme weakness or stiffness in your legs, or like the legs don't want to cooperate or something. All of the above? Weird question I know.

Idk if you mentioned this already but are you on your own or do you have someone there 24hr/day? Are you able to do your activities of daily living on your own? Can you transfer to a wheelchair on your own?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions just really curious, my family member is going to be with me for my LL but he would only be able to stay with me for 2-3 weeks. So I'm wondering how independent one is able to be around that time.

Anyways keep fighting the Good Fight brother we're all rooting for ya
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

MirinHeight

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »

how are you doing LAGrowin

myloginacct

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2018, 11:55:06 PM »

Yeah, I hope you have been as good as you possibly can be when in the middle of LL, man.

Thanks for all the detail in your diary, by the way.

LAGrowin

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2018, 05:20:53 AM »

Hope everyone is doing great.  My apologies for the long absence.  Hoping to provide a detailed update soon.

I hit the 1 MONTH mark yesterday,  what a difference a few weeks make.  Things have gotten much better.  My 3 week follow up with Dr. Mahboubian went great. X-rays show great bone growth and thank God, so far no complications.

I will hit the big 1 INCH mark on Sunday 2/18/18 !!   One of my questions to other past patients,  how does it feel?  Can you feel the difference?

ABSOLUTELY !!!  One little inch,  feels so different already. Obviously this is with the walker but I can already feel it.

A detailed update coming up.......

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:12:34 AM by LAGrowin »

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2018, 06:00:27 AM »

Hope everyone is doing great.  My apologies for the long absence.  Hoping to provide a detailed update soon.

I hit the 1 MONTH mark yesterday,  what a difference a few weeks make.  Things have gotten much better.  My 3 week follow up with Dr. Mahboubian went great. X-rays show great bone growth and thank God, so far no complications.

I will hit the big 1 INCH mark on Sunday 2/18/18 !!   One of my questions to other past patients,  how does it feel?  Can you feel the difference?

ABSOLUTELY !!!  One little inch,  feels so different already. Obviously this is with the walker but I can already feel it.

A detailed update coming up.......

Congrats on your journey. Sent you a PM, plz check, thanks.

LAGrowin

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2018, 06:11:43 AM »

Congrats on your journey. Sent you a PM, plz check, thanks.

Hi 419.  Thank you so much.  No regrets so far.  I've been blessed. 

I will.  I'll respond accordingly.

dfpanchao

• Visitor
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 06:33:00 AM »

Thank you updating.Hope you have a great lengthening journey!

MirinHeight

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 07:13:03 AM »

Hey LAgrowin are you still in wheelchair or can you use walker to get to bathroom, etc

LAGrowin

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »

dfpanchao,

Thank you.  God willing it continues to go well.  I'm still in the early stages about to hit 3CM.

MirinHeight,

Primarily in the wheelchair still, but my PT has helped me to get comfortable with the walker, coincidentally today (one month mark) was the first day I was able to use the walker to get to the bathroom. Still a little scared to do so as I feel like I'm going to fall as I let go of the walker and get unto the toilet.  It's really just a matter of practice and getting used to it.  My legs are definitely weak,  they look like twigs,  I feel like I've got no strength in them, but I'm going to start building them up little by little again.  Thank God my arms are strong.

All the best.

LAGrowin

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »

30 Day Post Op Update

A lot to report on since my last real update at about 10 days post op.

I can truly say that things have gotten much better as the weeks have passed. Another recent patient of Dr. M has been great in providing me with details of his experience (femurs) about 9 months ago.  He was pretty much on point with just about everything he shared.  Thank you!

My PT has been great, and made me see that proper stretching can make lengthening a breeze, up to a certain point of course. There have been a few days where the pain has really by frustrating, but is gone after stretching with my PT.   The pain is not grueling or excruciating at all,  just  nagging and frustrating at times.

Like nothing I am well into my 5th week post op. It has progressively gotten easier and easier for me.

At Week 3

I started more easily moving from the bed to the wheelchair. I was able to finally pivot from the wheelchair into the passenger front seat of my car.

I had my second post-op appointment with Dr. Mahboubian. XRays showed great bone formation and that I had lengthened 1.5 CM.  Dr M. asked me to increase lengthening from from 1mm per day to 1.32mm per day for a week.  This hasn't caused any discomfort yet.

Bathroom use is still a challenge by myself,  I need help to get on to and up from the toilet.  Using the over the toilet commode is painful, probably due to the hard plastic and bony legs and butt now.

SLEEP is a little tough as I find myself waking up around 4:00 to stretch out my legs a bit.  Having to sleep face up is difficult and tiring.  Dr. M said it was ok to sleep on my side but it is uncomfortable and a little painful.  It almost seems like I can feel the upper screws on the side, and also the weight of my body and other leg over the lower one is a little painful.

PAIN PILLS

I have cut down to 2 Norcos per day.  One in the mid morning and one before bed.  Every now and then I'll take a 5 MG muscle relaxer (Flexeril), this seems to help a tad also. I'll also incorporate a couple of Tylenol if needed in between the Norcos.

PHYSICAL THERAPY

I was having a therapist come to me 4 times a week. Cost is $100 per visit.  $1600 per month....ouch. The in home therapy would incorporate about 10 minutes of massage into the quad muscles and how it helped!  I am now going to a local therapist who is combining 2 days of water therapy in the pool and 2 days of regular stretching. I've only had a few sessions in the pool so I can't really say this is helping yet.  I am of course able to walk unassisted in the water which is great for relaxing the hip muscles.   Do yourselves the favor and pay a therapist if you can,  it will save you lots of unecessary pain and make recovery quicker. You or family cannot quite do it the same, period.

PAIN

It varies day by day but I can't really say it has been above a 4 into week 3. Again stretching and massage make the pain fade quickly. It typically is either non existent or between 1-2. The pain seems to in my knees and hips.

WEIGHT AND MUSCLE ATROPHY

I had told myself before surgery that I wouldn't let this affect me.  Yeah right!!  There really is no way to avoid it.  I've lost about 15 lbs, and lost my legs and butt.  Simple fact is if you don't use it, you'll lose it.  My legs look like twigs.  I'll gain it back.   I'm eating well,  taking vitamins,  but the weight came off and so did lower body muscle.

WEEK 4 and 5

I'm still only a few days into week 5, but things keep getting better and better.

I was having a real tough time getting into the shower,  so I was doing thorough towel baths daily,  but it was getting hard not being able to take a proper hot shower and bathe properly.  I finally was able to to get into the shower about 26 days post op. The key for me and my shower setup was helping myself with the use of a transfer board,  this is a must for any LLer.  This made moving from the wheelchair into the shower chair much easier.  God how good a hot shower makes you feel!  So good for the mind and spirit.

I am able to get unto and up from the toilet by myself now with proper use of the walker. The commode is still painful as heck.

I am also regularly up on the walker taking steps around the house. I don't worry as much as I'm down to about 150 lbs. which is only slightly over the Precise2 weight limit (70 lbs per leg). I have to be absorbing about 30% or so with my arms.

Precise 2 Lengthening

As we've all read in other femur diaries,  the lengthening itself doesn't hurt, while the machine is working.  You really don't feel anything.  You might feel pain afterwards on ocasion due to the stretched tissue. The only other thing I've noticed, is that if the controller is cold (it has some metal trim) and you put it on your leg,  you'll get pain afterward from the cold aparatus touching your leg.  Sounds weird but it's the case for me.

Heat Pads

Future LLers,  do yourselves a favor and invest in some heat pads and a heated blanket.  What a difference this can make when you have pain. I ordered several different ones from a place called Grampas Garden (online), and man have they been well worth it.

In closing this update.

- Please don't underestimate this surgery.  You won't be able to do this alone through week 4, or maybe throughout the entire recovery. You WILL need help. You won't be able to go back to work business as usual after 2 weeks, no way! It will be difficult to handle the simplest tasks.

- BUT things definitely get better and easier as the weeks pass by.

- Although it varies from time to time, pain is not that bad. It is never excruciating.

- For what you'll gain, the sacrifice is small and time flies. I hope my recovery continues to be issue free, as it has been so far thank God.

- invest in a knowledgeable PT and stretch. Stretch, and stretch.

- Dr. Mahboubian has treated me well. No complaints at all.  People complain that he advertises and makes money off of this surgery,  REALLY?   All of the other Dr. M patients I have communicated with seem to feel the same.   Nothing is ever 100% perfect.  It will not be anywhere you go.  I am happy so far however. Dr. M. and team have been very professional.

- I am now exactly 1.025" taller !   Even now I CAN feel the difference. One little inch.

- I am grateful to God and my wife and family for helping me through this.  It is a dream being realized.

Thank you all for reading.  I hope it will help someone who is nervous about doing this as I was.

Below .... The Precise device at work on my legs.  No comments about the sheets please!! I have been using my daughter's bed as it is lower than mine.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:08:42 AM by LAGrowin »

Honore

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 02:58:30 PM »

thank you for the update.. i am happy by proxy reading this... i wish you a continuance of the way you recover

LAGrowin

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »

thank you for the update.. i am happy by proxy reading this... i wish you a continuance of the way you recover

Thank you very much Honore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up