Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles  (Read 32403 times)

doomsday

Re: Internal Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian - Los Angeles
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »

Did dr M tell you the size of the nail you have? Im just curious why you cant use walker. It would make using toilet soo much easier.

LAGrowin

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »

Did dr M tell you the size of the nail you have? Im just curious why you cant use walker. It would make using toilet soo much easier.

I'm able to use the toilet now with the walker finally.

Dr. M actually encouraged me to use the walker. He used the larger screws.

I had difficulty just due to the discomfort and spasms in the left leg.  That has now passed.

LAGrowin

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »

**** Please see my recent update at the bottom of page 2 ****

Therapists

I had an appointment with Dr. Mahboubian's in house therapist Patrick.  I thought the two therapists I had been using were good, but Patrick in on another level. What a difference. Just the types of stretches he uses engage every important muscle that is a part of this surgery.  Obviously he understands this procedure thoroughly.

The point is that it is very important for your therapist to truly understand this procedure well. My suggestion, use your doctor's therapist first,  that way you'll have a solid basis for comparison.  I now think that my other tow therapists have been a little reserved about pushing me for fear of hurting me.

Android

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »

Great update LAGrowin! Sounds like it's going well so far. Loving the details, thanks for taking the time.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

bigdreams55

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2018, 06:04:23 AM »

Hey LAGrowin,

Wow, reading your updates brings back memories haha, i was experiencing the same things you were and know exactly what you mean! I always found it hard to sleep on my back, so I sleep on my side with a pillow in between my legs. I can feel the screw but it doesn't hurt and I've learned to ignore it.

The heating pads didn't work for me, they actually made the pain sharper haha. Not sure, I guess everyone is different.

I mostly used Biofreeze on my knees and that helped with the knee pain I experienced. I think its worth a try.

I think it will be smooth sailing like this up to 5 cm, then I think you'll notice there a constant tightness and stretching will become more difficult.

I'm gonna finish lengthening at the end of this month at 6-6.5 cm. You're doing great my friend, keep it up!

LAGrowin

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 01:24:41 AM »

Great update LAGrowin! Sounds like it's going well so far. Loving the details, thanks for taking the time.

Thank you Android.  I can't complain. Hoping I can get over that next hurdle coming up soon.

Glad to hear that.  You too.

LAGrowin

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2018, 01:49:46 AM »

Hey LAGrowin,

Wow, reading your updates brings back memories haha, i was experiencing the same things you were and know exactly what you mean! I always found it hard to sleep on my back, so I sleep on my side with a pillow in between my legs. I can feel the screw but it doesn't hurt and I've learned to ignore it.

The heating pads didn't work for me, they actually made the pain sharper haha. Not sure, I guess everyone is different.

I mostly used Biofreeze on my knees and that helped with the knee pain I experienced. I think its worth a try.

I think it will be smooth sailing like this up to 5 cm, then I think you'll notice there a constant tightness and stretching will become more difficult.

I'm gonna finish lengthening at the end of this month at 6-6.5 cm. You're doing great my friend, keep it up!

Hi bigdreams55,

Good to hear that you're well and coming to the end of the lengthening phase.  Go for 6.5!!  You can do it.  Just an additional week roughly. Hopefully you can push through it!

Good to hear that these nuances aren't just me.  I've tried sleeping with the pillow between my legs on my side but can only handle it for a few minutes.  The weight of my other leg seems to make it painful. Would love to have a solid night of sleep on my side.  You're absolutely right though, each body will react differently.

lol on the heating pads,  they've been so useful for me!

Thanks for the tip on the Biofreeze, I've heard of it but haven't bought it yet. I'll try it soon. Anything for a little more relief.

Looks like we are exactly one month apart on our surgery dates.  I had been following your diary. But now that I'm going through it,  it makes so much more sense.

Wishing you the best bigdreams55 !   Keep us posted on the last part of your journey.

LAGrowin

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »

UPDATE

Sleep

As many other LLers have said before me.  The lack of sleep is getting to me. I'm sleeping very lightly on and off through the night.  I get frustrated.  It isn't really pain,  just discomfort and tightness which makes me uncomfortable.  I want to turn on my side and just fall asleep.  Turning on my side is getting easier but I can only handle it a few minutes.

Tightness

I'm approaching 3CM and starting to feel the tightness.  Constant stretching is a must.  Dr. Ms PT says it will definitely get tougher as I approach 6CM,  but if safe I will push through to 7.6 CM.

Physical Therapy

This is a must, period.  I'm seeing two therapist for a total of 5 days a week.  Dr. Ms therapist which is by far the best due to the fact that he deals with LL patients over and over, he really pushes on the stretches.  The second is a local PT company, doing pool therapy and land,  they also have an anti-gravity treadmill.  Not sure how I feel about this treadmill as at my current weight 150 (from 165 originally) I can use the walker with little risk.

Overall Mobility

Much improved from the first few weeks. I've been taking walks around the house for 10-15 minutes back and forth.  My legs feel fatigued after, but it loosens up the glutes and hip flexors which are pretty much gone.

Things do get better with the passing of days. So far nothing that is totally unbearable thank God.

Cheers !!

dfpanchao

• Visitor
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »

Thank you for updating! Cheers! 3 cm was already a huge difference. Hope you can achieve 7 cm as you wish. Do more exercise, it will be much helpful for recovering.

LAGrowin

« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »

Thank you for updating! Cheers! 3 cm was already a huge difference. Hope you can achieve 7 cm as you wish. Do more exercise, it will be much helpful for recovering.

Thank you dfpanchao,  yes exercise is the key that we have control over to try to reach our goal.  I'm stepping it up on the PT and home exercise.

God willing I can reach the 7 or 7.6.  Of course even if I can reach it, once concern is always quick and proper recovery thereafter. 

We shall see.

ZUCC420

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »

Hope you can reach 7 cm or more on your femur, I plan on doing the same with internals. Best of luck buddy.
Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool. - Plato

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants. - Arthur Schopenhauer

LAGrowin

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:33 AM »

Hope you can reach 7 cm or more on your femur, I plan on doing the same with internals. Best of luck buddy.

Thank you Zach420.   Read as many diaries as you can.  Take notes.  Re-read them again as you're lengthening,  as they make so much more sense.

Who will you be using ?    What is your age?

ZUCC420

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2018, 02:21:47 AM »

I am 20 years old, I don't know which doctor I will go to but will probably use the new precice internal nails when they come out. I still haven't saved enough for both femurs and tibia.
Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool. - Plato

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants. - Arthur Schopenhauer

LAGrowin

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »

I am 20 years old, I don't know which doctor I will go to but will probably use the new precice internal nails when they come out. I still haven't saved enough for both femurs and tibia.

Sounds like you have plenty of time at your age. Best to save for the safer doctors.  Disciplined saving will get you there before you know it.   

Research, research,  and research.    All the best.

short2tall

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »

Hey LAGrowin, hope you're still doing well and not experiencing any tightness from lengthening yet. I had my femurs done on March 1st with Dr. M and it has been relatively pain free so far. I'm only on day 4 right now, so still have my post-op appointment before I can start lengthening. I've been able to walk several feet with the walker every day but still feel a bit shaky. Hopefully this will improve with every day going forward. Where in LA are you? I'm from out of state but will be staying in Glendale for the duration of the process.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

LAGrowin

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »

Hey LAGrowin, hope you're still doing well and not experiencing any tightness from lengthening yet. I had my femurs done on March 1st with Dr. M and it has been relatively pain free so far. I'm only on day 4 right now, so still have my post-op appointment before I can start lengthening. I've been able to walk several feet with the walker every day but still feel a bit shaky. Hopefully this will improve with every day going forward. Where in LA are you? I'm from out of state but will be staying in Glendale for the duration of the process.

Hello short2tall, congratulations!  Did you create a diary yet?

That's great that you've been doing so well so far. As I mentioned before, each body is different, but I love hearing when things go so well.  You're way ahead of most others for only being less than one week out of surgery.

I'm starting to get a little tightness but not much.  My suggestion if possible is use Dr. Ms PT, his name is Patrick

We should talk. I'll PM you. If I can help with anything, reach out.

I am one city over from Glendale,  in Pasadena

You've got a great starting height already.

short2tall

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »

Thanks LAGrowin, I have not started a diary yet but would like to, if someone can tell me how. I have heard Patrick is great, I will see if I can work that into my schedule/budget. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

LAGrowin

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »

Thanks LAGrowin, I have not started a diary yet but would like to, if someone can tell me how. I have heard Patrick is great, I will see if I can work that into my schedule/budget. I look forward to hearing from you.

short2tall,

Hit the upper left tab that says HOME,  from there go to the sub menu section that says Limb Lengthening Patient Experiences,  once in there press New Topic in upper right hand corner......

Sounds good.  I already PMd you.

Thank You.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:08:39 AM by LAGrowin »

Optimistic1

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »

Hi LAGrowin,

How's everything lately? Everything is going well with me except that I feel more pain now at night. I don't want to describe it as pain but it's very uncomfortable. I stopped exercising on my indoor bike as of yesterday and it helps a little bit. Is there anything unusual about your experience with the femur lengthening that we need to know? My femur procedure is next week. How long did you ice your thighs for after surgery? Thank you.

Optimistic1

LAGrowin

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2018, 04:37:47 AM »

UPDATE

Hi everyone.   Just wanted to share a small update.

Everything,  thank God,  has continued to progress well for me. I hit 2 MONTHS post-op today!  I have lengthened at total of 4.8 CMs. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am starting to get tight!  Dr. Mahboubian's PT, Patrick, is stretching the heck out of me 4X a week but in the last few days I'm feeling very tight in the quads and hamstrings. I guess this is the point where others have described reconsidering the 8 CM mark.

I have also been walking in the pool 2x week and using the stationary bike daily.

Heightwise, at nearly 2" taller,  it feels great,  incredible what a difference 2" make.  Let alone 2.5 or 3". If I can push through to 6.5 CM or 7 CM,  I'll be very happy. 7.6  will be a bonus.  But time to consider stopping when the tightness reaches "that point".

I have a follow up with Dr. M next week,  we will see what he and the x-rays say.

Thanks for reading,  all the best.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:46:23 AM by LAGrowin »

Android

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2018, 06:37:19 AM »

Sounds like you're making steady progress. I'm pretty inflexible as it is, so I'm dreading the additional tightness.

Hope you can push through to your goals, good luck with the x-rays!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

LAGrowin

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »

Thank you Android, I appreciate that. I hope so.  I would definitely recommend you prepare in advance with making yourself a little more flexible if possible. I said for months before surgery that I was going to do some Yoga and never did. 

Have you narrowed down a doctor yet?  Doing femurs?  2019 right?

bigdreams55

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »

Hey LAGrowin,

Are you still lengthening 1 mm/day? Slowing it down to .66 mm/day helped make the day easier (albeit it does take a few days longer to reach your goal).

The good news is most of the tightness you're experiencing dissipates pretty quickly once you stop lengthening.

LAGrowin

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2018, 08:06:44 PM »

Hey LAGrowin,

Are you still lengthening 1 mm/day? Slowing it down to .66 mm/day helped make the day easier (albeit it does take a few days longer to reach your goal).

The good news is most of the tightness you're experiencing dissipates pretty quickly once you stop lengthening.

Hi bigdreams55.  How are you?  How is everything coming along post lengthening?

Thanks for the recommendation.  I thought of that and might ask Dr. Mahboubian if ok.   Did Dr. Rozbruch have any concerns with early consolidation while at .65mm per day?  (Not that it matters towards the end of lengthening).

Thanks bigdreams.

bigdreams55

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »

Things are good, just letting my bone heal til i can fully weightbear. Consolidation phase is much more comfortable!

Dr Rozbruch said the risk of pre-consolidation was very low and actually encouraged me to slow it down. I alternated between 1 mm/day and .66 mm/day for the last few weeks. He says that the total time to fully weightbear does not change much if you do this, even if it add a few days to lengthening.

LAGrowin

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »

Glad to hear that for you.  Can't wait to get to that point.  Hopefully another 3 weeks roughly and then some better sleep.

Is Dr. Rozbruch thinking about 30 days for you to weightbear?   Your probably about halfway there right?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:27:54 PM by LAGrowin »

bigdreams55

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2018, 05:43:45 AM »

Glad to hear that for you.  Can't wait to get to that point.  Hopefully another 3 weeks roughly and then some better sleep.

Is Dr. Rozbruch thinking about 30 days for you to weightbear?   Your probably about halfway there right?

He was thinking 6 weeks, but I think he's just being pre-cautious. I feel pretty good now.

And yeah just take it one day at a time and you'll get there soon enough.

LAGrowin

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »

Good for you bigdreams.  Would love to hear how the first steps are after you're cleared to weight bear.  Must be a scary feeling. Very happy for you.

I can't wait!

LAGrowin

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2018, 04:15:07 AM »

UPDATE

2" reached today !!! Feeling extremely tight, but grateful and happy.

doomsday

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2018, 04:36:43 AM »

Keep pushing buddy. A lot of people doing femurs regretted doing too little and ended up doing tibia. Keep stretching , exercising and hit 175 cm mark!

LAGrowin

« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2018, 05:03:26 AM »

Thank you doomsday. Stretching definitively makes it better.  It's really a tough call.  Do I go the safe route and stop at 6.5 with potential regrets, or do I risk it to 7.6 CM (175cm) with a longer recovery and possible complications.

With having come this far and all I've been through, instinct says 7 cm +, but we will see what my body tells me.  The next few weeks will be tough.

Thanks for the input.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up