Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is a non-union more likely with femur or tibia?  (Read 1130 times)

MirinHeight

is a non-union more likely with femur or tibia?
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »

i know femur heals faster

but is it true that the tibias have better blood supply than femurs?
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

The Dreamer

Re: is a non-union more likely with femur or tibia?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »

No,it isn't.Femurs have faster recovery because have better blood supply than tibias(more blood vessels,think about femoral artery which is the biggest artery in human's body)
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

MirinHeight

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »

No,it isn't.Femurs have faster recovery because have better blood supply than tibias(more blood vessels,think about femoral artery which is the biggest artery in human's body)

i was curious because this website: https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/nonunions/
states:

"Nonunions are more likely to happen if the injured bone has a limited blood supply.

Some bones, such as toe bones, have inherent stability and excellent blood supply. They can be expected to heal with minimal treatment.
Some bones, such as the upper thighbone (femoral head and neck) and small wrist bone (scaphoid), have a limited blood supply. The blood supply can be destroyed when these bones are broken.
Some bones, such as the shinbone (tibia), have a moderate blood supply, however, an injury can disrupt it. For example, a high-energy injury can damage the skin and muscle over the bone and destroy the external blood supply. In addition, the injury can destroy the internal blood supply found in the marrow at the center of the bone."

The Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »

It is said that femoral head has a limited blood supply,not all the bone.But in the case of LL,femur is cut on the middle so this has not value.
It is well known that femurs have faster healing than tibias due to major blood supply and circulation,all LL doctors have stated it.
The biggest problem of femur's LL is the unaesthetic result,longer tibias look way better
And it isn't a minor problem since LL is supposed to improve physical appearance
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

MirinHeight

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »

It is said that femoral head has a limited blood supply,not all the bone.But in the case of LL,femur is cut on the middle so this has not value.
It is well known that femurs have faster healing than tibias due to major blood supply and circulation,all LL doctors have stated it.
The biggest problem of femur's LL is the unaesthetic result,longer tibias look way better
And it isn't a minor problem since LL is supposed to improve physical appearance

it def depends on how much you lengthen on femurs
i am going to lengthen 3.5 cm internal femurs so it really shouldn't matter much

its same with tibias. it depends on how much you lengthen, because tibias can look bad too.
especially if you like to wear shoes that give you height. you don't want to have too high knees.

Purushrottam

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:15:55 AM »

Mirin,

I've seen a lot of your posts. They seem to be medical-related questions. I highly recommend that you come up with a list of these questions and book a consultation (about $750) with an LL surgeon (Rozbruch, Paley, Mahoubian, etc, assuming that you are in the states). I don't think any of us are medical professionals. They may be able to give more medically relevant answers. The best we can do is give links to medical sites/etc.  Those may not be as helpful as they are not in context of LL surgery (for example, non-union from accidents and LL may have different rates.

I think the forum is an ideal platform for asking questions about the patient aspect of LL (ie patient experiences, logistics, pain levels, psychological pressure, life after LL, etc). Just my 2 cents.

That being said, if a Dr does answer your medical questions, you should post them on here so that all forum members can know the answers as well :D.

Cheers!

Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

MirinHeight

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »

Mirin,

I've seen a lot of your posts. They seem to be medical-related questions. I highly recommend that you come up with a list of these questions and book a consultation (about $750) with an LL surgeon (Rozbruch, Paley, Mahoubian, etc, assuming that you are in the states). I don't think any of us are medical professionals. They may be able to give more medically relevant answers. The best we can do is give links to medical sites/etc.  Those may not be as helpful as they are not in context of LL surgery (for example, non-union from accidents and LL may have different rates.

I think the forum is an ideal platform for asking questions about the patient aspect of LL (ie patient experiences, logistics, pain levels, psychological pressure, life after LL, etc). Just my 2 cents.

That being said, if a Dr does answer your medical questions, you should post them on here so that all forum members can know the answers as well :D.

Cheers!

thnx man.
i ask because some people who have had consultations/ll surgeries have prob asked the same questions to their physicians that i ask

Pages: [1]   Go Up