Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral Femur Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh & Dr. Solomin  (Read 8218 times)

Tiger9898

Re: Bilateral Femur Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh & Dr. Solomin
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »

Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Pope

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »

Thanks for the picture
Does it hurt too much when you try to bend your legs?

I wouldn’t describe it as the feeling of pain, it’s more of a feeling of stiffness. But after stretching, and doing some assisted knee flexions and knee extensions, the stiffness goes away.

Pope

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 03:57:27 PM »

If I just do external tibia, then I'd only need to pay the installation of the frame and the removal later since it should only be 1 surgery?

That's ridiculously cheap man! How long did you feel you were in coma? From what I've heard, it could be so quick that you wouldn't even realize the sugery has been performed.

Also, can I ask you, in your opinion, which one would be the best option for external tibia, Solomin/Parihar/Giotikas/Mahboubian/Rozbuch?

Thanks so much!

The big things are initial surgery, corrections, and removal. But as Tiger9898 said, you should also consider things such as accommodations, trainings, additional X-Rays, etc.

Yeah going into a medically induced coma is kind of funny to describe. It’s like it never happened, lol. You fall asleep and the next thing you know, you’re awake. Like time didn’t even pass by.

I couldn’t say which doctor is the best. I only really looked into Dr. Parihar and Dr. Solomin, but I would feel safe under either of their care.

Thequietone

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »

Any news, pope?

So whats the total cost for all surgeries, correction, nail removal, xray after the procedure as you mention, clinics, visa etc.?

How long will it takes til you can get nails off?

Pyotr

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »

Thank you for your detailed and informative posts.

I will be in St. Petersburg in September and will essentially repeat your process except that I will stay in an apartment for distraction.  (And, the specific lengthening process and/or segments is not yet decided.)

I noticed you transferred funds via Western Union.  Did Dr. Kulesh accept US Dollars or does Western Union convert dollars to rubles, or something else? 

If Western Union does convert, do you know the conversion rate off the prime conversion rate?  I ask because most banks seem to charge 8-10% off the prime rate. 

If Dr. Kulesh accepts US Dollars; then, I'll just take cash.

Android

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »

I noticed you transferred funds via Western Union.  Did Dr. Kulesh accept US Dollars or does Western Union convert dollars to rubles, or something else? 

I'll chime in here. He does not take USD, Western Union will convert to rubles for you. You can check the fees for yourself on their site/app, it varies depending on how fast you need it. You can also send him money via bank wire or exchange USD to rubles once you arrive in Russia; avoid the airport exchange shops and head to Sberbank.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Pyotr

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »

Thanks!

Bob

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »

Pope, how many days after the surgery could you weight bear and how much.

Thanks and good luck.

Pope

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »

I'm Not Dead!

I apologize that I didn't update my diary as things were occurring in my LL journey. Soon after my first post, things started becoming many times more difficult. I've experienced a lot of pain and suffering- with a long way to go but here I am, still alive!

Beginning of the LL Nightmare

I first began lengthening at a rate of 1mm per day. After about one week, I began distracting 1.5mm per day. When I reached 3cm, I took an x-ray which showed that I was at risk for pre-consolidation. Dr. Kulesh told me he suspected that he will have to bring up my distraction rate to 2.5mm per day. I was so shocked and never heard of anyone lengthen so fast. I asked if he was going to see what Dr. Solomin thought since I was so skeptical about his opinion. He responded that he would discuss it with Dr. Solomin that day to make sure he wasn't crazy. I was still nervous but at least even he realized that what he was asking me to do was out of the ordinary. Later that night I received an e-mail confirming that both Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin agreed that I should begin lengthening at a rate of 2.5mm per day. I knew I wasn't going to have it easy anymore.

These were the xrays: https://imgur.com/a/mhc2I1P (Album)

Pain & More Pain

It was extremely painful and uncomfortable. All I had was what was basically ibuprofen and these shots I forgot the name of that would be given through your butt. Both stopped helping me after 2-3 days. The weather was also getting hotter. With the pain and heat combined, the discomfort was at a whole different level. After a week of distracting 2.5mm per day, I wasn't able to endure lengthening so fast any longer and Dr. Kulesh allowed me to lower my distraction rate at 2mm per day until I finished lengthening and began the correction phase. I honestly wasn't able to tell the difference between 2.5mm and 2mm, the pain still felt just as bad. I officially stopped lengthening at 6.2cm and I thought that the pain would finally slowly go away. I thought wrong. After the hexapods were installed on my frames to begin corrections, I was even more uncomfortable. To make my situation worse, I was unable to do corrections on my own so Dr. Kulesh's assistants would have to turn for me. Typically you would turn throughout the day, but since I couldn't do them myself, Dr. Kulesh had to have my entire turning schedule done all at once each day. I don't know how I endured all that pain and discomfort. I guess it was because I had no choice but to get through it.

Here are x-rays and pictures of my frames during corrections: https://imgur.com/a/TkaerrB (Album)

Nailing

Finally! It was time to remove the frames. I was told I would be the first in the operation room. They wheeled me out early in the morning and I sat on the stretcher outside of the room I'd be having surgery in. I was so early that I didn't see any of my doctors until an hour later. At that point I lost so much weight that my back and ass was bony so it wasn't comfortable laying on that stiff stretcher. They didn't start my surgery until two hours later and I was moaning in pain waiting. I just kept telling myself that the frames were coming off that day so I just had to bear the pain until then.

After all the waiting, it was time to put the epidural in my spine. This was a huge challenge having two frames on my femurs since they kept me stuck laying on my back. It took four people to lift me sideways and put in the spinal epidural. I probably don't need to say this was extremely uncomfortable. Everything I experienced was uncomfortable; some was just more uncomfortable than others... Several minutes after I saw Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin come in, I knocked out.

My experience this surgery was a bit different than my last. In my initial surgery, I was able to remember the very last thing I saw before knocking out. Also, when I woke up last surgery, I was woken up in the operation room and remember being wheeled back to my hospital room. This time, I don't remember exactly when I knocked out and when I woke up, I was already in my room, extremely weak, and in a pool of blood. However, its the most comfortable I ever felt in the last few months since I was still on the anesthesia.

About three days later, I got my spinal epidural removed. I didn't want anything sticking inside my body, so I also asked the nurse to remove my catheter later that night. I was peeing blood the first couple of times after I had the catheter removed. It was also extremely painful to pee for several days but the pain progressively went down. I really can't get a break from this journey...

Here are some pictures and xrays after nailing: https://imgur.com/a/4PzNptS (Album)

Going Home!
10 days after nailing, I took an Uber Black to a really nice hotel. It was my first taste of luxury in months! The Uber Black driver picked me up in a nice Mercedes and LITERALLY picked me up and put me in the car since the nails weren't weight bearing. He was extremely professional and helped me a lot. I stayed at the hotel for two nights and was able to order and eat anything and everything I wanted! I had AC and felt like I was in heaven compared to being at St Elizabeth's.

I took another Uber Black to the airport who also helped me by literally picking me up from my wheelchair to get in and out of the car. After checking in, flying home was almost effortless. Uncomfortable but effortless since I got pushed to everywhere I needed to go. I was also first on every plane so I could get settled before everyone started coming in. I bought seats that was one class below first class to get extra leg room since my ROM was still fairly bad. Flying home with my broken femurs actually felt easier than when I was flying to Russia.

Comments
•I planned on spending $13k USD but ended up spending roughly $18k USD; still spending money on PT, x-rays, etc. at home.
•Everything looks good, I got xrays, blood work, ultra sounds at my hospital in America - just working on ROM, leg strength, and nerve pain at the moment.
•Still not fully weight bearing; I'm waiting to take my next x-rays and hope I can weight bear by then.
•I've actually been home for a few weeks but I'll update my situation at home another time.

Pope

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »

Pope, how many days after the surgery could you weight bear and how much.

Thanks and good luck.

You can weight bear immediately right after the first surgery. Dr. Kulesh believes the frames can bear roughly 80kg.

doomsday

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »

Great updates pope! Youre a real trooper for doing 6 cm with those frames.
I just dont get why the nails are not full weight bearing? I looked at you xray and it looks like you dont have proximal locking screws on top of you nail. Im not sure but it looks like it. Can you use walker?

Pope

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »

Great updates pope! Youre a real trooper for doing 6 cm with those frames.
I just dont get why the nails are not full weight bearing? I looked at you xray and it looks like you dont have proximal locking screws on top of you nail. Im not sure but it looks like it. Can you use walker?

Thanks :) Here are additional x-rays to show the proximal screws. Dr. Kulesh doesnt recommend I walk around with a walker yet according to my last x-rays on July 27. I will probably be able to by next x-rays.

doomsday

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »

Hey man,

How is  walking? :D

qirenzhe123

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »

How much does it cost to use a Solomin doctor to do a traditional llizarov extension of the 6.5cm tibia in Russia? the full cost

Pope

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:22 PM »

Update

- My left foot still has drop foot
- I started walking on crutches around September
- Can confidently walk without crutches early October
- I haven’t tested how long I can go without crutches but I can definitely say that I can walk at least 30 minutes straight (slowly).
- I’ve been able to easily go up and down stairs for a month now
- Gait needs improvement (I will post a video soon)
- Range of motion for right knee flexion is about 110-120 degrees
- Range of motion for left knee flexion is about 90 degrees
- I stopped stretching for now to let my nerves heal (especially my left because of foot drop)
- I still bring my crutches around with me cause Dr Kulesh recommended I shouldn’t even be walking yet. I would probably be fine without them but I’m just cautious.
-My next X-Rays are next week and I’ll share those

Pictures of Surgical Scars

cheekycabs

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

Man, I am almost in the same position as you in August. I'm getting my first x-rays tomorrow and I'm extremely worried now. I'm doing Tibias in Baku, Azerbaijan but the doctors are Russian and everything you've mentioned is exactly the same.

Is there any way that the complications could have been prevented? Possibly doing more walking/stretching/Physiotherapy? It looks like the bones were not aligned correctly, were the turns done unevenly? So curious, would love to hear your opinion.

Do they align tibias the same way? It sounds terrifying.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Pope

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »

Man, I am almost in the same position as you in August. I'm getting my first x-rays tomorrow and I'm extremely worried now. I'm doing Tibias in Baku, Azerbaijan but the doctors are Russian and everything you've mentioned is exactly the same.

Is there any way that the complications could have been prevented? Possibly doing more walking/stretching/Physiotherapy? It looks like the bones were not aligned correctly, were the turns done unevenly? So curious, would love to hear your opinion.

Do they align tibias the same way? It sounds terrifying.

From what I’ve learned the past 4 months after nailing, the drop foot complication was from over stretching my peroneal nerve. Dr. Solomin insisted that I had 60 degrees of knee flexion before nailing. I was able to get my right leg to about 60 degrees which is probably why that one doesn’t have foot drop. And my left leg was only at about 30 degrees at the time. So yes, I would say that I could have prevented this if I stretched more seriously.

My femurs were pretty misaligned but they were corrected. My right leg (which is doing much better than my left)  actually needed more correcting done. The doctors thought my right leg would have more nerve problems because of that. But this wasn’t the case cause as I’ve said I think the problem was from over stretching my nerve on my left leg to insert the nail in my femur.

I don’t know if this would be the same case for someone doing tibias, but my point is, stretching is super important!

They do align tibias the same way. I actually used the hexapod struts shortygirl used to align her tibias right after she finished using them.

cheekycabs

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

You overstretched your peroneal nerve? Is this from lengthening too fast?

Can you recommend stretches that would be beneficial? I'm really taking the stretches seriously now, mostly doing leg raises (sitting and lying down) and lying on my stomach and bringing my leg back, no idea what this is called.

Also walking and doing stairs...
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Arch

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »

Hi Pope!

Great recovery! How is the pain? Are you using any medication or is post nailing pretty painless?

Pope

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »

You overstretched your peroneal nerve? Is this from lengthening too fast?

Can you recommend stretches that would be beneficial? I'm really taking the stretches seriously now, mostly doing leg raises (sitting and lying down) and lying on my stomach and bringing my leg back, no idea what this is called.

Also walking and doing stairs...

Yeah I did but I think that it only happens to LATN femur patients that don't have enough knee ROM to get the nail in. I know two other members here with the same issues and they both had the nerve problems undergoing lengthening and then nailing on their femur. You should focus more on preventing ballerina foot since you're lengthening your tibias.

Hi Pope!

Great recovery! How is the pain? Are you using any medication or is post nailing pretty painless?

Thanks Arch! The pain was pretty bad for a month after nailing. Mainly nerve pain but it goes down over time. I'm only taking 600mg of Gabapentin per day for the nerve pain now and I'm nearly painless. I heard you went through with bilateral femur lengthening. That's a brave move, man! I hope everything is going well for you.

Pope

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »

UPDATE

Drop foot is going away fast! I can dorsiflex my foot half its normal range of motion now and it's getting better every day. My neurologist and orthopedic doctor is shocked by how much I've improved. They said they thought I was hopeless when I first came to get checked out lol. But they did admit they weren't sure of what they were looking at.
I completely got rid of my crutches after I saw my x-rays yesterday. Lots of good things happening recently. Its been 5-6 months since my first surgery and I've experienced a lot of hell- for anyone out there suffering, just be patient, things get so much better. I'm absolutely loving my new height. Anyway, walking video coming soon but for now here are my x-rays from yesterday:

doomsday

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »

great progress buddy ! Did you try to measure you new height? ALso do you know more or less how much everything cost you?

raku

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 01:45:19 AM »

great undate!happy to hear your great recovery, thanks you. Hope you walk unaided soon.
Could I ask that Did you get any never damage for the high speed lengthening?
Less is more.
Maybe one cm up or down could not change your appearance.
But one cm more is definitely do harm to joint than one cm less.
English is not my first language.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up