Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian  (Read 19415 times)

LAGrowin

Re: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »

One interesting thing I noticed today was something I read in the manual that came with the ERC device. In the manual the only weight restriction that it gives for the 2 larger sizes of the femoral nails (10.3 and 11.5mm) is that the patient should not weigh more than 250 lbs. I'm certainly not going to do anything risky, but I think these Precise nails are sturdier than we think.

Hi short2tall. That's good to hear.   I tend to be very cautious about putting too much weight of my legs. I also have the larger nails.

I hope your post-op today goes well. Let us know how it went.

The tightness you're feeling might be from the PT,  although that typically loosens you up.  Tightness from stretching seems to typically start near the 5CM mark.

I remember hitting 2 weeks,  time will fly by!

short2tall

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:58 AM »

Thanks LAGrowin! I look forward to meeting you at Dr. M's office next Friday.

Day 16

Today I had my sutures removed. It was relatively painless. I saw one other patient in Dr. M's office that looked like she was there for her 1 week post-op, the Precise rep was there with an ERC machine for her. On my way home from the appointment, I started to notice some pain in my left leg near where the bone is broken. I'm not sure what caused it. It may have been entering or exiting the car, as the parking lot was pretty uneven. I really had a tough time even lifting it during PT. I iced it for the rest of the day but I can still feel some pain there. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »

Day 17

I still felt some sharp pain in my left leg when I got out of bed this morning. I iced it again and after a while the pain seemed to go away, but I still feel a popping/cracking sensation every time I move my leg. It's very minor but it definitely wasn't there before. If it is not gone by Monday morning, I'm going to call Dr. M's office. I'm really hoping its not a fracture. The Precice rod still seems to be working ok, I can feel a very small sensation on either side after lengthening.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 06:49:04 AM »

Day 18

I still felt that clicking sensation in my left leg all day today, but the pain is mostly gone. I was able to do some PT today but took it easy just in case there is some underlying issue. I'm going to call Dr. M's office tomorrow just to ask his opinion on it. I hit 1.3 cm today, which is half an inch! I consider that my first milestone. I can definitely start to see my thighs look a little longer and thinner. I can't imagine what another 2 inches will look like!

Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:52 AM »

Day 19

I called Dr. M's office today and he said it is normal to experience a slight clicking sensation. That made me feel a little better. I guess I will ultimately find out if anything is wrong when I get X-rays taken at my 3 week post op this Friday. Other than that, nothing too special to report today.
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »

That's good news about the clicking. Keep on truckin'!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

short2tall

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 12:55:26 PM »

Thanks Android!
Shooting for 5'11"

LAGrowin

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 12:33:47 AM »

Good to hear that short2tall.   Are you still hearing the click now?  How is the pain now overall?  You're almost done with 3 weeks !

Hope all is well.

short2tall

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 05:09:00 AM »

Good to hear that short2tall.   Are you still hearing the click now?  How is the pain now overall?  You're almost done with 3 weeks !

Hope all is well.

Hey LAGrowin, yes I can still hear/feel that clicking sensation, but there isn't any more pain associated with it. Overall pain level is very low. I'm back to taking only one Norco before PT. At night I'm taking one Flexeril/cyclobenzaprine. It looks like he prescribed me a 10mg dose as opposed to the 5mg. It works ok, but not as good as the Norco.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 11:12:05 PM »

Day 24

I haven't updated for a few days since nothing worth mentioning happened. Today I had my 3 week follow up. It went very well. Dr. M said I had very good bone growth. I could see the bone callus in the X-ray as a cloudy area between the 2 broken sections of the bone. He told me go back to lengthening 4x per day for 5 days, and then return to 3x a day.
  I also met LAGrowin today at Dr. M's office. It was great to chat in person with someone going through the same ordeal. We saw about 2 or 3 other LL patients in there as well.
   I did not receive any copies of my X-rays. Maybe some of you other patients or vets can tell me how you got pictures of your X-rays? are you asking the Dr's office to email you the image or are you just taking a picture with your phone?
Shooting for 5'11"

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »

Day 24

I haven't updated for a few days since nothing worth mentioning happened. Today I had my 3 week follow up. It went very well. Dr. M said I had very good bone growth. I could see the bone callus in the X-ray as a cloudy area between the 2 broken sections of the bone. He told me go back to lengthening 4x per day for 5 days, and then return to 3x a day.
  I also met LAGrowin today at Dr. M's office. It was great to chat in person with someone going through the same ordeal. We saw about 2 or 3 other LL patients in there as well.
   I did not receive any copies of my X-rays. Maybe some of you other patients or vets can tell me how you got pictures of your X-rays? are you asking the Dr's office to email you the image or are you just taking a picture with your phone?

That feeling you get when seeing new bone forming is really nice knowing everything is going good and your growing! Keep it going.
Whenever i went to get xrays i simply asked the radiologist to make me a cd of the xrays. I had to wait a day and come back to get the cd and then i would come home put it in my labtop and upload it to imgur. Then you just copy the link and paste it on here.
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

LAGrowin

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 02:07:03 AM »

Day 24

It was great to meet you short2tall, share experiences as well.  Very happy to hear that everything went well with your visit.

If you weren't in a wheelchair,  I would have never guessed you did something so tough as LL.  I still look the part of someone who is going through 'something'!     Glad you've handled it so well.

I think I also caught a glimpse of Optimistic1 leaving the office, but wasn't able to say hello in person.  There was also another younger girl who looks to have just done tibias.  She looked like a recent surgery patient.

Continued success with your journey short2tall.

short2tall

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 06:15:57 AM »

That feeling you get when seeing new bone forming is really nice knowing everything is going good and your growing! Keep it going.
Whenever i went to get xrays i simply asked the radiologist to make me a cd of the xrays. I had to wait a day and come back to get the cd and then i would come home put it in my labtop and upload it to imgur. Then you just copy the link and paste it on here.

Thanks Jim! I'll try that next time.

It was great to meet you short2tall, share experiences as well.  Very happy to hear that everything went well with your visit.

If you weren't in a wheelchair,  I would have never guessed you did something so tough as LL.  I still look the part of someone who is going through 'something'!     Glad you've handled it so well.

I think I also caught a glimpse of Optimistic1 leaving the office, but wasn't able to say hello in person.  There was also another younger girl who looks to have just done tibias.  She looked like a recent surgery patient.

Continued success with your journey short2tall.

Haha thanks for the compliment LAGrowin. You didn't look that rough, lol, you seem to be doing really well also. Hopefully things continue to go smoothly for us, and all of the other patients currently undergoing LL.
Shooting for 5'11"

Optimistic1

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 06:42:30 AM »

Hi Short2tall and LAGrowin,

I was there for my femurs first post-op appointment yesterday in the morning (March 23, 2018) and I was actually the first one there but waited until around 10:00 or 10:30 am before being called in for my x-ray. When I came out after meeting with Dr. M, I saw the room was filled with patients. If any of you stopped me to say hi I'd have started a conversation as I know it's quite difficult for us to meet each other in person. I don't think I was able to recognize Short2fall but LAGrowin is one handsome man.

I was rushing out after the appointment as I didn't want anyone to see my face after many sleepless nights dealing with pain and suffering while going through this process. I take pride in my hair but I cut it real short and stopped combing it since my first surgery about 5 weeks ago. You guys are tough. You make going through this process easier than it really is. Good luck and continue to keep us posted.

short2tall

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »

Hi Short2tall and LAGrowin,

I was there for my femurs first post-op appointment yesterday in the morning (March 23, 2018) and I was actually the first one there but waited until around 10:00 or 10:30 am before being called in for my x-ray. When I came out after meeting with Dr. M, I saw the room was filled with patients. If any of you stopped me to say hi I'd have started a conversation as I know it's quite difficult for us to meet each other in person. I don't think I was able to recognize Short2fall but LAGrowin is one handsome man.

I was rushing out after the appointment as I didn't want anyone to see my face after many sleepless nights dealing with pain and suffering while going through this process. I take pride in my hair but I cut it real short and stopped combing it since my first surgery about 5 weeks ago. You guys are tough. You make going through this process easier than it really is. Good luck and continue to keep us posted.

Hey Optimistic1, I'm glad to hear your femur surgery went well. Hopefully you will have good bone growth from the start this time.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 03:04:58 AM »

Day 25

Yesterday I started lengthening 4x per day again. I can definitely feel an increase in muscle tightness already. I had a tough time sleeping last night because of it. The discomfort goes away once I take a Norco, but I'm trying to take as few as possible. The Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine, 10mg) doesn't seem to do much for me. Once I get out of bed and move around I feel completely fine again.
   However, I did make some good progress in PT today. My therapist has me doing more and more strength exercises with resistance bands, and it's really helping. I also improved quite a bit in my knee bends, or heel to butt stretch, which was my worst area before. I achieved about 120 degrees today.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:40 AM »

Day 28

Today is my last day of lengthening 4x a day, and I'll go back to 3x a day tomorrow. I'm pretty happy about this, because my IT bands have started to get tight. Dr. M did release them, I believe he does this on about 99% of his patients, so I didn't expect them to be getting tight already. Hopefully going back to 3x per day will give them a break. I'm doing PT every other day and it certainly helps, but there really isn't a whole lot you can do to stretch your IT bands, they are quite rigid and don't stretch like muscles do. Anyway, we will see what happens.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 02:35:12 AM »

Day 30

I thought I would give an update for those of you that are concerned about working out and maintaining your upper body strength while lengthening. This was one of my main concerns going into this process, but I've actually been able to work out since about 2 weeks post-op. Of course my workouts are pretty limited, due to lack of serious equipment, but I think I've been able to keep maybe 80-90% percent of my strength thus far. If I can maintain this throughout the rest of the lengthening phase I'll be very happy.
   If you have access to a hotel or apartment gym, or can even wheel yourself over to an actual gym, you will be able to use pin-loaded machines and cable machines and get a really good workout in. However, I am limited to a weight bench with a variety of dumbbells, resistance bands, and a door frame pull-up bar. Today for example, I did chest and triceps. I started with dumbbell flies on a flat bench. Then I did dumbbell presses on the flat bench. One of the most difficult parts is picking up heavier dumbbells from the floor without using your legs to stabilize yourself. That being said, I only feel comfortable lifting 55 or 60 lb dumbbells without losing my balance. That isn't enough for me to do chest presses, so I will also wrap a resistance band under the bench and hold it in each hand while I grip the dumbbells, and then swing them up one at a time before laying down. This allows me to get a pretty good pump. Then I did both of these exercises with the bench in an incline position. After that I transferred myself onto the floor and did push ups for the first time since the surgery. It didn't hurt at all. Then I did dips on my walker. They look flimsy but they can support 350 lbs (also mine doesn't have wheels). Just be very careful you don't lose your grip, or expend too much energy to where you can't stand up after the last rep. Lastly, I laid back down on the bench and did tricep extensions with a dumbbell.
   I have PT every other day, which is quite a workout for the lower body in itself, so I work my upper body on all of the days that I don't have PT. I have 3 different upper body workout routines that I do. Chest and triceps (described above), back and biceps, and shoulders. For back and biceps, I start with seated curls. Then I set the bench to about a 45 degree incline, and do curls in which I rotate the dumbbells about halfway up. I am also still trying to find a comfortable way to do concentration curls without resting my elbow on my broken femurs. Then I switch to back, and my go-to exercise here is pull-ups on my perfect pull-up bar. I do wide, narrow, and hammer grip. I think I am going to attempt some dumbbell rows if I can get myself to lay face forward on the incline bench.
   My third muscle group that I work out is shoulders. This is probably the easiest workout to do solely with dumbbells, but I also consider it the most important to look proportional after LL. I think wide shoulders are the best way to not look too skinny after gaining 2 or 3 inches. I start with side raises to hit the medial delts. Then I do front raises, which can be a little difficult because of the natural tendency to try and support yourself with your legs. Next I do Arnold presses, which is where you start with the dumbbells down by your chest, palms facing inward and then you rotate as you press upward. Then I typically do more front and side raises, and I finish up with regular shoulder presses. I normally would start the workout with the heavy shoulder presses, but since I can't go really heavy I like to be slightly tired out before this exercise.
   That sums up my workout routine for now, just thought I would share it in case anyone had the same concerns that I did.
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2018, 04:37:11 AM »

Dips on the walker... Nice!

Sounds like you're getting a good workout considering the circumstances. Thanks for the tips.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

short2tall

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2018, 05:19:35 AM »

Dips on the walker... Nice!

Sounds like you're getting a good workout considering the circumstances. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks Android, I hope you get your turn soon!
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2018, 05:23:05 AM »

Day 31

Hit 1 inch today! That's a pretty big milestone. Its hard to say if I can notice the height difference yet, because I am not around familiar people or surroundings. I definitely do notice a steady increase in tightness though. I try to stretch by straightening my knees as often as possible.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

Day 35

I reached 3 cm today. Over the past few days I started feeling what I thought was a nerve pain behind my left knee. My PT determined that it was actually a ligament that was resisting against being stretched, and she was able to massage it into submission. Mind you this is not a relaxing massage, but a deep tissue kneading massage that leaves you sore for days. I'm doing PT about 4 times a week now, and I can tell the strengthening exercises are really helping. My legs don't look quite as emaciated as I thought they would at this stage.
   It's hard to believe that it's been over a month since my surgery already. Time really flies by even though I'm not doing much throughout the day. I am managing to sleep a fair amount which makes the days go by even faster.
Shooting for 5'11"

MirinHeight

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »

hey short2tall, can you please upload x rays?

thnx
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

short2tall

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 04:58:30 AM »

hey short2tall, can you please upload x rays?

thnx

Yes, I'm going to try to get some at my next appointment on 4/13. At my first post-op I thought they just emailed the images to each patient, but another member pointed out that you had to ask the nurse to put the images on a CD for you.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 12:52:19 AM »

If anyone is following this I apologize that it's been a while since I updated. I still haven't been able to get any pictures of the X-rays so I haven't bothered updating. Anyway I had an appointment last Friday, and Dr. M confirmed that I was at exactly 4 cm, which was right where I was supposed to be according to my tally. I also had good bone growth which was visible on the X-ray. I did get a copy of the X-rays on a CD, but was unable to open the files.
   Dr. M was very impressed by my range of motion, and said that my therapist was doing a great job. If anyone is going to be having surgery with Dr. M and is looking for a therapist or caregiver, you can PM me and I'll give you her info.
   This weekend I was fortunate enough to meet up with 3 other current patients. It was great to be able to share experiences and answer each other's questions since we were all at different stages. This was really the first time I had gone anywhere other than the Dr.'s office since the surgery. I highly recommend meeting up with other patients or veterans before and/or during the process.
   So far I am very happy with the results, and I don't think that I look out of proportion at all right now. We will see what happens as I get closer to 7 cm. I know that I'm going to start to get tight soon.
Shooting for 5'11"

LAGrowin

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 02:18:47 AM »

It was great to meet you guys short2tall !  Had a great time.  All awesome people.  Your recovery is impressive!  I hope it continues to go that way for you.

All he the best!

short2tall

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 04:55:20 AM »

I reached 5 cm today! This feels like a big milestone. I am now 5'10.5", which is the average height of the Caucasian male. I view any additional height I gain from here as a bonus. I would like to get some opinions as to how much further I should go. I am attaching an image of how I look right now. My original intent was to stop at 6.5 cm, or 2.5 inches. Now, I'm thinking about going to 7 or even 7.6 cm. What do you guys think? Could I pull it off without looking too skinny? I have definitely lost some size in my shoulders and chest, which I hope to regain as soon as I'm done consolidating.

https://i.imgur.com/pSBTRUC.jpg
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2018, 05:09:33 AM »

Congrats!

Can't safely say what you should aim for, just listen to your body and doctor. Proportion-wise, I think you look fine. Any doubts about looking skinny you can fix with bulking later in the gym.

W

• Visitor
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »

I would like to get some opinions as to how much further I should go.

It looks like you are yet to even do CLL. There is a very slight chicken leg situation going on because you've worked up your upper body so much but I think that's pretty common these days because everyone skips leg day.

If I didn't know your height I would have said you look 6'2 or 6'3.

short2tall

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 03:53:38 AM »

Congrats!

Can't safely say what you should aim for, just listen to your body and doctor. Proportion-wise, I think you look fine. Any doubts about looking skinny you can fix with bulking later in the gym.

Thank you Android, and yes I was referring to proportions only. The Dr. said I can definitely go to 8cm based on my current progress.

It looks like you are yet to even do CLL. There is a very slight chicken leg situation going on because you've worked up your upper body so much but I think that's pretty common these days because everyone skips leg day.

If I didn't know your height I would have said you look 6'2 or 6'3.

Thanks W, I'll take that as a complement! I've definitely lost a lot of muscle in my legs at this point, i promise they weren't that skinny when I started.
Shooting for 5'11"

Constantine

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 07:17:57 AM »

Hi short2tall,

youre going well and i wish you the best for your LL journey!

I have a question. Are you all the time during your lengthening in a wheel chair? As i know walking and weight bearing stimulates the bone to heal or grow and close the gap. And as your write your bone healing is good already. So what is in your case stimulating your bone healing?

best wishes
C
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up