Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian  (Read 19425 times)

short2tall

Re: Short2tall internal femurs with Dr. Mahboubian
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »

Hi short2tall,

youre going well and i wish you the best for your LL journey!

I have a question. Are you all the time during your lengthening in a wheel chair? As i know walking and weight bearing stimulates the bone to heal or grow and close the gap. And as your write your bone healing is good already. So what is in your case stimulating your bone healing?

best wishes
C

Hey Constantine, thanks for the well wishes. Yes I am in the wheelchair most of the time. I do try to walk around with the walker a little bit each day. I think the fact that I'm eating healthy (try to limit sodium, caffeine, etc.) and taking calcium and vitamin D supplements are probably helping the most with bone growth right now. A fellow lengthener reinforced the importance of going outside and getting vitamin D from sunlight. I'm going to try to do that more as I enter my consolidation phase. If you do all of these things you shouldn't have a problem with getting good bone growth.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2018, 12:58:08 AM »

Day 58 post-op

Hey everyone, things are still going well and I am at 5.5 cm currently. My hamstrings are slowly getting tighter and tighter, and now my groin is starting to get a little tight as well. Still very bearable though, I mainly only notice during PT. I also get some nerve pains in and around my left knee from time to time. My next Dr. appointment is on Tuesday May 8th, and I will be at 6.4 cm, which is exactly 2.5 inches. At that point we will decide together if I should continue. I think I want to shoot for at least 7 cm now. The standard consolidation period seems to be 5 weeks, so that would allow me to be home by the end of June.
Shooting for 5'11"

FormerKidd

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2018, 03:00:42 AM »

The standard consolidation period seems to be 5 weeks, so that would allow me to be home by the end of June.
That's what Dr. Mahboubian said?  For what cm range?

At the Paley Institute, everybody BUT Dr. Paley seemed to suggest two to three months was more common for consolidation.

LAGrowin

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2018, 04:07:14 AM »

At the Paley Institute, everybody BUT Dr. Paley seemed to suggest two to three months was more common for consolidation.

Glad you're doing well short2tall.  Amazing you're already there!  Good for you.

@FormerKidd -  I believe the 5 weeks quoted by Dr. M is not full consolidation, which takes much longer, but consolidated enough to walk unassisted.  I was a little confused about this before as well.  I believe Paley patients are also cleared to earl unassisted between 4-7 weeks roughly.

short2tall

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2018, 04:49:20 AM »

Thanks LAGrowin! It seems like you were just at 5cm and I was thinking "wow I can't wait until I get to that point!"

Yes, what LAGrowin said is correct. We may not be fully consolidated but we will be cleared to walk unassisted. This is because the Precice rod itself is lending some support to the bone as well. We are not allowed weightlifting or sports for another month or so after that.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »

Day 64 post op

I reached 6 cm yesterday! It feels like the end is almost in sight. Today I drove my car for the first time since the surgery. It felt so good to get out of my room and drive around. I had been putting this off for a long time because I knew I wouldn't be able to put my wheelchair into my car by myself, so I had to wait until I was really comfortable travelling long distances with just the walker. I went to the Walgreen's drive-thru to pick up a prescription, and then went to McDonald's for a cheat meal lol. When I got back to the hotel and hobbled up to the entrance that I usually use, I discovered that the key reader on that door was broken! So I had to walk all the way around to the main entrance of the hotel with my walker, and then back to my room. It was quite a workout!
   I'm looking forward to my appointment on Tuesday 5/8, at which time I will be at 6.5 cm. Still trying to decide if I want to stop at 7 cm or go all the way to 8. I just really want a quick consolidation.
Shooting for 5'11"

myloginacct

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2018, 11:51:36 PM »

So you're 180cm/5'11 already?

Johnson1111

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 12:10:47 AM »

Day 64 post op

I reached 6 cm yesterday! It feels like the end is almost in sight. Today I drove my car for the first time since the surgery. It felt so good to get out of my room and drive around. I had been putting this off for a long time because I knew I wouldn't be able to put my wheelchair into my car by myself, so I had to wait until I was really comfortable travelling long distances with just the walker. I went to the Walgreen's drive-thru to pick up a prescription, and then went to McDonald's for a cheat meal lol. When I got back to the hotel and hobbled up to the entrance that I usually use, I discovered that the key reader on that door was broken! So I had to walk all the way around to the main entrance of the hotel with my walker, and then back to my room. It was quite a workout!
   I'm looking forward to my appointment on Tuesday 5/8, at which time I will be at 6.5 cm. Still trying to decide if I want to stop at 7 cm or go all the way to 8. I just really want a quick consolidation.

Happy for you bro. I hope you get as tall as possible while staying as safe as possible.

short2tall

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2018, 01:18:01 AM »

So you're 180cm/5'11 already?

Yes, I should be exactly 5'11 on Tuesday. It feels great, and doesn't look unproportional at all right now. If I max out the rod at 8 cm, I will be 5'11.5"

Happy for you bro. I hope you get as tall as possible while staying as safe as possible.

Thanks Johnson, I'm hoping to balance those 2 factors as best I can.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »

Day 68 post op

I had an appointment with Dr. M today and received some really encouraging news. I have lengthened 6'5cm (2.5") so far, although he measured 6.8cm on the X-ray. The usual X-ray tech was on vacation and there was a new intern there today. I basically had to show her how to take the X-rays lol. So unfortunately I was still not able to get a copy of the X-rays. However, Dr. M said I had excellent bone growth and was even going to speed up my lengthening to 4x per day. But since I am so close to the end, and nerves really start to become stretched at this point, we agreed I would lengthen 10 more days and then stop. That will give me a total increase of 7.5cm! Even more exciting than that, he wants to see me 5 weeks from today to check if I am consolidated enough to walk! That will only be about 3 weeks of consolidation time post-lengthening. Dr. M told me that consolidation time varies from 3 to 5 weeks depending on bone growth. I am just so happy and grateful that my bone growth is good. As soon as I am done lengthening next Friday I am going to start taking silica, and make sure I get at least 30 mins of sun every day. I want to do everything possible to maximize my chances of walking by June 12th. Dr. M was also extremely impressed by my flexibility and range of motion after so much lengthening. The only discomfort I am experiencing at this point is some numbness in my lower left leg. I mainly feel it right after I use the machine.
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 10:21:19 PM »

7.5 cm... How exciting! Hope that the next 10 days go smoothly for you.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Gagz

• Visitor
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »

Hey brave girl i appriciate your courage ....what is the level of pain after surgery....and what about weight bearing...and please forgive me for my english

short2tall

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »

7.5 cm... How exciting! Hope that the next 10 days go smoothly for you.

Thanks Android, I don't anticipate any problems, maybe just a little nerve pain.

Hey brave girl i appriciate your courage ....what is the level of pain after surgery....and what about weight bearing...and please forgive me for my english

Lol, I think you may have posted this in the wrong diary . . .
Shooting for 5'11"

Gagz

• Visitor
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »

Yeah i did....nd what is the cost of surgery??

short2tall

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »

Yeah i did....nd what is the cost of surgery??

$75,000
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2018, 02:05:33 AM »

Day 78 post-op

Today was my last day of lengthening!!! I have reached 7.5 cm and couldn't be happier that this portion of the journey is over. I decided to stop at 7.5 instead of 8 because I want to consolidate a little faster, and was starting to get some pretty serious nerve pain in my left shin area. I'm going to post a few different pictures so you guys can see my new proportions. My new height should be right around 5'11.5"

Here I am standing with shorts on. I think I look very normal here, although I'm probably wearing my shorts a tad lower on my hips than I used to:

https://i.imgur.com/yi348eb.jpg

In this picture I am wearing just boxers, and you can sort of see the additional length:

https://i.imgur.com/jrSLUxh.jpg

Finally here I am seated. Unfortunately I didn't have anything I could sit on where my legs would be at 90 degrees:

https://i.imgur.com/qJBvqfp.jpg
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2018, 03:51:54 AM »

Today was my last day of lengthening!!! I have reached 7.5 cm and couldn't be happier that this portion of the journey is over.

Wow, congrats! Thanks for sharing photos too, they really are worth a thousand words. I honestly couldn't tell that you did any lengthening until the last one, and I'm looking for it. I'd be clueless with pants, shoes, and a proper chair.

Ready to take a break from hotel life?
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Body Builder

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »

You look veey good my friend.
Congrats, now everything will be easier.

Keep strong!

Shadow91

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »

Congrats mate!!

doomsday

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »

Congrants. Now get jacked again and fk some bit*hes :D 

myloginacct

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »

Congrats. Glad it's finally over for you and you can move on with your life now.

You're looking good. As Android said, I wouldn't suspect a thing from your standing pictures.

short2tall

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »

Wow, congrats! Thanks for sharing photos too, they really are worth a thousand words. I honestly couldn't tell that you did any lengthening until the last one, and I'm looking for it. I'd be clueless with pants, shoes, and a proper chair.

Ready to take a break from hotel life?

Thanks for the compliments Android, I couldn't be more ready to be done with hotel life!!! Also, it was great meeting you and I wish you a successful journey of your own.

You look veey good my friend.
Congrats, now everything will be easier.

Keep strong!

Thanks Bodybuilder, I feel like I'm so close to the end!

Congrats mate!!

Thank you Shadow!

Congrants. Now get jacked again and fk some bit*hes :D 

Lol, that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Congrats. Glad it's finally over for you and you can move on with your life now.

You're looking good. As Android said, I wouldn't suspect a thing from your standing pictures.

Thanks myloginacct, I am very happy with the outcome.
Shooting for 5'11"

Android

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2018, 09:58:15 PM »

Thanks for the compliments Android, I couldn't be more ready to be done with hotel life!!! Also, it was great meeting you and I wish you a successful journey of your own.

Likewise! It was great meeting you and LAGrowin. Best of luck on your next steps (ha!), wishing you a speedy consolidation.

short2tall

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »

Day 82 post-op/ Day 4 post-lengthening

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you an update on my post-lengthening condition. My flexibility is finally gradually improving rather than slowly getting worse as it does during lengthening. I've had 2 PT sessions since I stopped lengthening and the stretches are not as painful as they used to be. I just feel more loose overall and my nerve pains are almost gone. I'm going to start focusing even more on strength exercises with the resistance bands so I will be ready to walk when I'm cleared.
   I also finally got a chance to weigh myself for the first time since the surgery and I was pleasantly surprised. The scale showed 168 lbs, so I've only lost about 2 lbs over the course of the whole procedure! However now that I'm basically 3 inches taller, my ideal weight is going to be a lot higher. Once I'm back in the gym full time I am going to try to bulk up to 190 or 200.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »

I have been cleared to weight bear!!! I has been 3 months and 12 days since my initial surgery, and I am now cleared to walk after lengthening 7.5 inches. I feel incredibly fortunate that I was basically a "textbook" case with no complications. Here are my X-rays from today's appointment:

https://i.imgur.com/125mWoU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dlDdeBF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AE4Wn9D.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qs6PliS.jpg

The bones don't look quite as consolidated as I thought they might be, but Dr. M said they look very good and that I am free to get rid of the walker as soon as I feel comfortable. I am going to try to skip using crutches completely (he did not even mention using crutches either). I have tried to walk around a little and its basically just a shuffle right now. It feels so strange having to concentrate so hard just to walk. My muscles have already started to fill back in from doing PT, but all of the stabilizer muscles etc. need to be re-educated.
   I also had Dr. M's staff measure my new height and they came up with 6' on the dot! Dr. M gave me a fist bump when his assistant read the number off, since I reached the "magic number" lol. I don't know if there is a discrepancy there since I should be 5'11.5 but I will measure myself again at home to verify.
Shooting for 5'11"

FormerKidd

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »

I have been cleared to weight bear!!! I has been 3 months and 12 days since my initial surgery, and I am now cleared to walk after lengthening 7.5 inches.
Just four weeks after finishing lengthening?  That's impressive!

Johnson1111

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »

If I was guaranteed a process like yours I wouldn't even bother with STRYDE. That's a great outcome nearly perfect although you're right it doesn't look as consolidated as I would have originally thought based on clearing someone to walk but he knows more than us. Although RGKEY was cleared despite the formation looking a little off and he screwed himself up. From my understanding he went to a   doc though

short2tall

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »

Just four weeks after finishing lengthening?  That's impressive!

Thanks! Dr. Mahboubian said anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks is typical. But keep in mind walking is very tough at this point, and the bone isn't actually consolidated, the rod is still supporting a lot of the weight.
Shooting for 5'11"

short2tall

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2018, 11:59:47 PM »

If I was guaranteed a process like yours I wouldn't even bother with STRYDE. That's a great outcome nearly perfect although you're right it doesn't look as consolidated as I would have originally thought based on clearing someone to walk but he knows more than us. Although RGKEY was cleared despite the formation looking a little off and he screwed himself up. From my understanding he went to a   doc though

My initial thought when I heard about Stryde was that it is a complete game changer, and It very well may be. However, at this point my advice to anyone that is ready to book their surgery would be to just go with Precice 2.2 if you can't afford Stryde with Paley right now. It is proven and has a great track record as far as safety goes. I asked Dr. M today if he would be getting access to the Stryde nail (I posted this in the Stryde thread as well) and he said he will but he doesn't know when it will be available outside of Paley's clinic yet. He also indicated he would be a little hesitant to let his patients completely forgo the walker during lengthening. Although if Paley's patients prove it can be done he may change his mind.
Shooting for 5'11"

FormerKidd

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 12:06:01 AM »

Thanks! Dr. Mahboubian said anywhere between 3 to 5 weeks is typical. But keep in mind walking is very tough at this point, and the bone isn't actually consolidated, the rod is still supporting a lot of the weight.
Does he have the same criteria as Paley, that two or so sides have callused?  Paley's assistant seems to tell people to expect 2 months before they can walk.

My initial thought when I heard about Stryde was that it is a complete game changer, and It very well may be.
My concern about Stryde is that I think a lot of people may be overestimating it.  Yes, you'll hopefully be able to walk far sooner and maybe go back to your normal routine after lengthening rather than waiting several weeks, but during lengthening?  Given the multiple daily lengthening, PT, and pain that's involved in the process, I don't think it's going to let people work full time jobs while lengthening as they seem to hope.

short2tall

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »

Does he have the same criteria as Paley, that two or so sides have callused?  Paley's assistant seems to tell people to expect 2 months before they can walk.

Yes he seems to have the same criteria, he didn't specifically say that 2 sides of the bone needed to have callus formation but that is more or less what he was looking for. Paley's staff might just be trying to under-promise and over-deliver so patients don't get disappointed if they can't walk as soon as they hope. 2 months seems a bit long to wait.

My concern about Stryde is that I think a lot of people may be overestimating it.  Yes, you'll hopefully be able to walk far sooner and maybe go back to your normal routine after lengthening rather than waiting several weeks, but during lengthening?  Given the multiple daily lengthening, PT, and pain that's involved in the process, I don't think it's going to let people work full time jobs while lengthening as they seem to hope.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment here.
Shooting for 5'11"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up